Renfrewshire Cup Final

Regarding the game, it's harsh to be tough on Kelly. He played like an 19 year old kid who had never played at that level before, which to be fair to him, he is. He may be good enough one day however at the moment he is nowhere near the required standard to be a first choice SPL left back.

Harkins lived up to his stereotype. Talented but unfit. Lovely wee back heel in the first half, but was blowing out the proverbial after an hour and completely faded out the game. That's what you get from him. Moments of inspiration but no consistency and ghost like for long periods.

The biggest worry for me was the goalie. Technically he had a poor game, and i believe was at fault for 3 of the goals. It's not just that though. From a goalkeeper you want someone commanding and confident, someone who thinks they're good, even if they're not. Samson was good at that. Technically Samson was not that good a keeper, but he was confident and he bounced around and he shouted, he made people believe he was a better player than he actually was.

This poor lad doesn't even look like a goalie. He was practically glued to his line all game, hardly said a word to anyone, and looked shy and nervous. That's more worrying for me than his technical errors. He's played 2 games for us and he';s conceded 8 goals. Hopefully Danny now realises that he needs to bring in an experienced keeper. Steve Simonsen and Chris Smith are available.

Regarding the game, it's harsh to be tough on Kelly. He played like an 19 year old kid who had never played at that level before, which to be fair to him, he is. He may be good enough one day however at the moment he is nowhere near the required standard to be a first choice SPL left back.

Harkins lived up to his stereotype. Talented but unfit. Lovely wee back heel in the first half, but was blowing out the proverbial after an hour and completely faded out the game. That's what you get from him. Moments of inspiration but no consistency and ghost like for long periods.

The biggest worry for me was the goalie. Technically he had a poor game, and i believe was at fault for 3 of the goals. It's not just that though. From a goalkeeper you want someone commanding and confident, someone who thinks they're good, even if they're not. Samson was good at that. Technically Samson was not that good a keeper, but he was confident and he bounced around and he shouted, he made people believe he was a better player than he actually was.

This poor lad doesn't even look like a goalie. He was practically glued to his line all game, hardly said a word to anyone, and looked shy and nervous. That's more worrying for me than his technical errors. He's played 2 games for us and he';s conceded 8 goals. Hopefully Danny now realises that he needs to bring in an experienced keeper. Steve Simonsen and Chris Smith are available.

I'm going to highlight the most important part of this post.

Smudger signed for Stenny tongue.png

We seem to be behind everyone in terms of fitness. Should we be worried? Guess we'll find out Aug 3

Sent from my C6603 using Black & White Army mobile app

Inverness will probably be in better shape.

Then after Inverness, we'll be the only team to have another fortnight without a game unless we can arrange our own friendly for week 2.

Just remember, not only was Samson older than Cornell (Samson didn't get his presaints reputation for nothing - it took him until his mid-late twenties for him to grow up n he was also a bit of a loose cannon when he was younger), but he had also been with us for the last 3-4 years and got to know the team. Lets see if Cornell is still lacking in confidence at the end of the season when he knows his teammates inside out. (Albeit, that might be too late)!

lol.gif

I was told those accounts were barred because I had asked for my accounts to be closed/barred on countless occasions which was pure nonsense as I've never requested that.

Aye but we've all asked countless occasion to get your account closed.

For what its worth I thought we went from the sublime(gowser's goal) to the ridiculous. Our back 4. There was enough about Cornell to see that there is a goalie there and a better one that Samson, but he has to adapt to the way we play and sharpen up. The back 4 was a mess not surprising as Kelly was inexperienced and McGregor back from a 2 year lay off. Then further disruption with Vanzy going of and Naisey coming on, That back 5 had never played together and it showed. Morton looked fitter and were clearly ahead of us in match sharpness and wanted it more.

McGinn was hot and cold, Gowser played ok, Teale was the best player on the pitch (not Imrie). Thompson was out of sorts, Harkins clearly was not on the same wavelength as the rest of team and made Carey look like Usain Bolt. I have to admit I was a doubter when he signed and today's showing did not make me change my mind. Flashes of brilliance yes then no pace to get the play moving on.

Reily looked excellent and made a real difference when he came on,

Better than Samson oh my god are you on glue.3 I thought the gk was horrendous and look back at Samson he did ok for us and Lennon treated him shabbily

Goodwin was poor, of the pace and aloud himself to get muscled out of too many balls,

Would like a left back and a striker.

On Kellly I would say the boy stuck to his task and he will not play against someone with Imrie's pace every week. Expect him to learn very quickly, but he should not be asked to have to step up to being first pick leftback at this stage of his career

For what its worth I thought we went from the sublime(gowser's goal) to the ridiculous. Our back 4. There was enough about Cornell to see that there is a goalie there and a better one that Samson, but he has to adapt to the way we play and sharpen up. The back 4 was a mess not surprising as Kelly was inexperienced and McGregor back from a 2 year lay off. Then further disruption with Vanzy going of and Naisey coming on, That back 5 had never played together and it showed. Morton looked fitter and were clearly ahead of us in match sharpness and wanted it more.

McGinn was hot and cold, Gowser played ok, Teale was the best player on the pitch (not Imrie). Thompson was out of sorts, Harkins clearly was not on the same wavelength as the rest of team and made Carey look like Usain Bolt. I have to admit I was a doubter when he signed and today's showing did not make me change my mind. Flashes of brilliance yes then no pace to get the play moving on.

Reily looked excellent and made a real difference when he came on,

Better than Samson oh my god are you on glue.3 I thought the gk was horrendous and look back at Samson he did ok for us and Lennon treated him

shabbily

Goodwin was poor, of the pace and aloud himself to get muscled out of too many balls,

Would like a left back and a striker.

On Kellly I would say the boy stuck to his task and he will not play against someone with Imrie's pace every week. Expect him to learn very quickly, but he should not be asked to have to step up to being first pick leftback at this stage of his career

Better than Samson never ever with that performance. Samson did well and was pivotal in winning the cup. Lennon treated him terribly

Better than Samson oh my god are you on glue.3 I thought the gk was horrendous and look back at Samson he did ok for us and Lennon treated him shabbily

Samson was plucked from obscurity / oblivion and turned into a decent goalie. Any one who saw Samson early in his career would be amazed at the change but even last year he had suspect position, was too slow get down to save shots from distance and stayed on his line for corners and cross ball. He was however and excellent shot stopper and had very good distribution, he was comfortable with the ball at his feet so did not mind getting to see lots of the ball in wee pass back triangles. The new goalie looked better at coming for crosses, decent at shot stopping but was clearly unhappy with our tendency to fanny about at the back. Either we will cut that out of our game or he will have to get used to it. I predict after a year we will have a great goalie

I hear the players didn't like DL's tactics on Saturday...

He alluded to that on the post match comments on the OS.

Something along the lines of we experiemented and learned a few things.

Edit: exact quote..." We tried a few things today that were experimental, asked a few questions and got the answer to those questions.

Edited by aldo_j

I hear the players didn't like DL's tactics on Saturday...

The writing's on the wall Dave. He has a month to get it right both squad wise and tactically , he's been sleeping in the traps IMO !

For what it's worth, I thought Saturday was utter shite. But trying to look on the positive side, hopefully wee Danny got a wake up call and has realised that our squad seriously lacks the squad depth required for the SPL.

As much as Reilly looks like a cracking young player (and he does) he remains far too lightweight and if we are relying on him being our 2nd choice striker we are doomed. Not criticising the player at all, but Danny can surely see this? Surely?

Also, can't understand folk criticising Harkins, He's been slow and (generally) lazy his whole career but he has great feet and will win us matches - he didn't come to act as a box to box midfielder chasing down every ball. I'm confident he'll be a very good addition to our squad.

Finally, thought Naismith looked decent - certainly more solid than DVZ.

Just remember, not only was Samson older than Cornell (Samson didn't get his presaints reputation for nothing - it took him until his mid-late twenties for him to grow up n he was also a bit of a loose cannon when he was younger), but he had also been with us for the last 3-4 years and got to know the team. Lets see if Cornell is still lacking in confidence at the end of the season when he knows his teammates inside out. (Albeit, that might be too late)!

If we had signed Cornell as a number 2 - like we signed Samson - there would be no issue. He would have time to develop in the back ground.

It's not the case though. We signed him on a year loan as - apparently - our number 1. He has no time to develop, he needs to be good enough now.

And for what it's worth, Imrie played in several different positions for us and he was gash in every single one of them.

Fact is Imrie always played well against us before he signed and then tore us apart on Saturday. Graham Carey played well for us under previous management . Both did not play well under Danny which suggests he was unable to motivate / get the best out of them. Not the fault of Imrie or Carey. I think we have lost two of our potentially best players.