V Charlton Athletic 13/07/2013 (Pre-Season Friendly)

Neither went into the season as first choice did they?

When did Kelly play a senior game?

So what's you're point? Neither had played a senior game but were good enough to be starting.

Also Newtons first ever senior game was our semi final, FFS.

On loan to East Stirling and did very well. If he's good enough, he's good enough no matter what stage of the season.

Edited by davidg

So what's you're point? Neither had played a senior game but were good enough to be starting.

Also Newtons first ever senior game was our semi final, FFS.

On loan to East Stirling and did very well. If he's good enough, he's good enough no matter what stage of the season.

Ah, so part time football, never played a minute of full time senior football though? The point is McGinn was not our first choice, he was introduced slowly and we were never reliant on him, as you can't rely on young players being consistent enough to be first choice, particularly when they are completely untested.

Regarding Newton, where has this myth that his first ever senior game was the semi final came from? It's not the case, his first game was the 1-4 defeat at home to Ross County, and he had been training with us for a month before that.

To expand on that point, I actually thought that compared to the rest he never played that well in the semi, he was clearly at fault for the first Celtic goal. In my opinion he actually never reached the required standard up until the final against Hearts, he took a while to adapt to senior football. He had a stormer in the final and between that game and the end of the season he was one the top performers in the side. However, he was a 21 year old with an EPL contract. You expect a certain standard of a player that age who has a contract with an EPL club, therefore the comparison with Kelly is inherently flawed.

A footnote on Kelly: These are our u20 youth academy graduates with squad numbers for next season: Kelly, Yaqub, Naismith, Reilly, McGinn, Scullion, Brady. The oldest out of those 7 players is Sean Kelly. The only player never to have played for the first team out of those 7 players is... Sean Kelly. Would be a bit strange that the only player from that group not yet deemed good enough for the first team by the manager - despite being the oldest - would suddenly become our first choice LB, i'm sure you'd agree?

Edited by Lex

Cornell, van Zanten, McAusland, Goodwin, Kelly, McLean, McGowan, McGinn, Teale, Harkins, Thompson. . Sorry guys , and I know it's only a bounce game , but that line up has a real makeshift look about it. I hoping that we'll still bring in 4 or 5 players as we usually do late in the window. Going in with our current paper thin squad is a disaster in the making.

I see the young boys are getting pumped by an experienced Wrexham side as well , I would have thought a work out against a local Amateur or Junior outfit would have been more beneficial ! What are the club thinking about ?

Cornell, van Zanten, McAusland, Goodwin, Kelly, McLean, McGowan, McGinn, Teale, Harkins, Thompson. . Sorry guys , and I know it's only a bounce game , but that line up has a real makeshift look about it. I hoping that we'll still bring in 4 or 5 players as we usually do late in the window. Going in with our current paper thin squad is a disaster in the making.

I see the young boys are getting pumped by an experienced Wrexham side as well , I would have thought a work out against a local Amateur or Junior outfit would have been more beneficial ! What are the club thinking about ?

Think there's a load of trialists playing for the boys, wouldn't look into it much mate.

Neither had John McGinn. Nor back in time did Stevie Clarke or Tommy Wilson who made their debuts at full-back in the same first game of the season IIRC They went on to be not bad. I think it's already been said by the manager that Sean Kelly would started at least one game towards the end of the season had he not been injured. Anyhow we are after a left back. Anyhow that's the case for the defence. Who knows whether Danny's right? But if Hertz, Killie and Dundee United can give young guys a run we can too. We invest plenty in the development of young players.

It's senior football and he's a full time player.....

Have you seen him play?

Yes i have. Looks okay to me. You replied to a post i posted in error incidentally, the edited version is what i meant to post ;)

Edited by Lex

This is a good point. The question is, why are they? We start our season on the same day. Why are they well ahead of us in match practice and fitness?

It's probably easier for them to arrange friendlies. Like it or not even an English Diddy team like Charlton are a bigger draw than us