The Queen's Highways

shull

Nothing to do with moronic loyalists who disgrace our Country with every step.

Just congratulations for the excellent resurfacing of some of Britain's roads.

It took them a week but the Hurlet and the adjacent Nitshill Road and Barrhead Road are now smoothingly magnificent.

Still many to do, including the carpet bombed Hardgate Road at Shieldhall but hearty praise for the Hurlet tarring.

Proud to be British.

Edited by shull

The Hurlet Tarring sounds like an annual fete or something. Is it a big local event? Do parents take their kids to see the Hurlet Tarring and buy em' ice creams? Is it like the old Lilias Day in Kilbarchan?

We need to know. I might go next year.

The Hurlet Tarring sounds like an annual fete or something. Is it a big local event? Do parents take their kids to see the Hurlet Tarring and buy em' ice creams? Is it like the old Lilias Day in Kilbarchan?

We need to know. I might go next year.

Forget it Poz, season tickets urnae valid.

Although, tarring of local blue and green Verminites maybe encourage me tae dig deep.

It took them a week but the Hurlet and the adjacent Nitshill Road and Barrhead Road are now smoothingly magnificent.

Still many to do, including the carpet bombed Hardgate Road at Shieldhall but hearty praise for the Hurlet tarring.

Proud to be British.

Road signs at Linwood Toll roundabout would indicate that it will be getting resurfaced over the next couple of weekends.

Not before time.

First on the list to be resurfaced should be that wee bridge area at the bottom of Cochranemill Road in Johnstone. Try driving down from Corseford, past the bus garage, then turn left at the mini roundabout at the end of the road, sharp left over the bridge towards Kilbarchan...

'Fcuk sake' just about covers it.

Road signs at Linwood Toll roundabout would indicate that it will be getting resurfaced over the next couple of weekends.

Not before time.

Indeed, a terrible surface.

The Queen wid have a f*cking fit at the state of some of her highways and byeways.

Proud to be British.

If your a patient going to the Southern, talking about adding insult to injury comes to mind.

Drove down Cochranemill Road earlier this afternoon after visiting my mum in Johnstone. Turned left at the end, shouted 'for fcuk sake!' again, carried onto the dual carriageway, went home, stopped at Tesco in Cumbernauld and bought beer and crisps.

Car booked in to have wheels balanced and aligned next Wednesday.

First on the list to be resurfaced should be that wee bridge area at the bottom of Cochranemill Road in Johnstone. Try driving down from Corseford, past the bus garage, then turn left at the mini roundabout at the end of the road, sharp left over the bridge towards Kilbarchan...

'Fcuk sake' just about covers it.

They were resurfacing the main drag in Kilbarchance the other day(not before time) . You have to feel sorry tho' , for all the folk that normally park their cars on either side of the road there and normally make that wee stretch a single track road as , they were unable to park there during the re-surfacing . Aw didums. .

The new surface on Seedhill road is great. For now. Unfortunately it will all fall apart again within the year given that every time they resurface it, they do it directly on top of the old cobbles. Complete waste of time and money doing this every couple of years when in the long run it would be more cost effective to lift the old cobbles. Either that or completely remove the surface and just leave it as a cobbled street as that would force cars to go a bit slower (some eejits go far too fast there).

Sort of. You can get a good surface onto cobbles if they are in decent nick but it's not ideal. Those old cobbles are a pain to maintain, paint doesn't stick well and they are very slippy compared to a modern surface. If you go down Back Sneddon out the back of RBS you'll see they are in a rubbish state. Despite that I have to say I do like cobbled streets.

Part of the reason many roads are in poor nick is the use of SMA material. It just doesn't wear well imv.

Sort of. You can get a good surface onto cobbles if they are in decent nick but it's not ideal. Those old cobbles are a pain to maintain, paint doesn't stick well and they are very slippy compared to a modern surface. If you go down Back Sneddon out the back of RBS you'll see they are in a rubbish state. Despite that I have to say I do like cobbled streets.

Part of the reason many roads are in poor nick is the use of SMA material. It just doesn't wear well imv.

Well in that case, multiple contractors have either been using poor materials or doing a poor job ever since I moved into my flat just off Seedhill road nearly twelve years ago. In that time I've seen them do various things from resurfacing lengthy sections, to repairing (!) potholes (read - dump some tar in the hole, don't level off, walk away), to complete resurfacing, with each of these being done many multiples of times, since literally every time the road starts to break up within 6 months - a year.

The amount that must have been paid to do all of this is frightening, not to mention the inconvenience each time they do carry out some sort of major work rather then just filling in the holes. So as I said, in the long term they'd have been (and still would be) better off just lifting the cobbles and starting from scratch since they're clearly not interested in doing the job properly with them there.

Edited by zurich_allan

Well in that case, multiple contractors have either been using poor materials or doing a poor job ever since I moved into my flat just off Seedhill road nearly twelve years ago. In that time I've seen them do various things from resurfacing lengthy sections, to repairing (!) potholes (read - dump some tar in the hole, don't level off, walk away), to complete resurfacing, with each of these being done many multiples of times, since literally every time the road starts to break up within 6 months - a year.

The amount that must have been paid to do all of this is frightening, not to mention the inconvenience each time they do carry out some sort of major work rather then just filling in the holes. So as I said, in the long term they'd have been (and still would be) better off just lifting the cobbles and starting from scratch since they're clearly not interested in doing the job properly with them there.

Probably bits of both to be honest. No expert in tarmac but it was the joints between sections failed in the last resurfacing.

A lot of Paisley is similar to Seedhill Road and asphalt on top of setts so no real reason it should be worse- although there are a lot of lorries that use the bit near Mill Street. Full reconstruction is likely to be much more expensive and it would be a slow process.

Caplethill Road between Paisley and Barrhead, i noticed last night, is a damn disgrace.

I was just about to post this as I travel on it every day, when I'm at work.

It was totally resurfaced about 3 to 4 years ago and now large sections of tarmac have broken off the surface. With the speed some of the arseholes travel at on that road, someone is going to hit one of these sections on a corner and end up in one of the fields.

I know the road suffers from a lot of surface water, but the company that resurfaced it should have factored this into their resurfacing and they should be brought to task.

Edited by FTOF

Side streets off Netherhill Road and Gallowhill Road getting done today, this is after they part resurfaced Netherhill Road in May. Mind you soon after they did the whole of Gallowhill Road a few years ago (and Arkelston Road to Hillington), British Gas dug a trench the entire length to put in a new pipe ! thumbdown.gif