T In The Park

Stuart Dickson

Ok, so I'm partial to a little bit of music and I've been catching up with yesterdays programme. Unfortunately so far all I can say about it is WTF.

What I am seeing is the main stage having been handed over to some group of chancers called "Chase and Status" who play a video with their "guest" singer on it while a drummer kids on he's playing and a guy stands behind a laptop. They've also got someone up front who appears to have the job of being a fanny miming to the song without holding a mic to his face and occasionally shouting at the crowd that he can't hear them. He's got some f**king cheek. I'm not saying the tracks themselves were bad but how the f**k does this shit get booked for a live set anywhere.

Yeah but you're not, and he is. And he's f**king loaded doing it, the lucky bastard.

I can understand kids wanting to download the tracks, even Calvin Harris manages to source the odd decent backing track. What I can't understand is why these acts get sold or promoted as "live" performances. The only thing they are doing live is plugging their laptops in.

Punters were told not to bring in fireworks, flares, etc or they would get arrested.

Two eejits brought in flares and promptly got arrested.

How thick are some people ?

Obviously very thick. Apparently tickets were £90 a day and they are getting to watch "bands" who just run a video track while shouting at the crowd.

I can understand kids wanting to download the tracks, even Calvin Harris manages to source the odd decent backing track. What I can't understand is why these acts get sold or promoted as "live" performances. The only thing they are doing live is plugging their laptops in.

Oh dear looks like the remote had broken in the Dickson household. Away out into the garden and enjoy the last of the sunshine

There's a wee bit more involved in it than that! But even if that IS what they're doing, if 'the kids' are enjoying it, what's the problem? That sort of music's not massively my cup of tea (or plastic cup of warm lager in this case...) but so what? If people like it and it makes them feel happy, good luck to them.

There's a wee bit more involved in it than that! But even if that IS what they're doing, if 'the kids' are enjoying it, what's the problem? That sort of music's not massively my cup of tea (or plastic cup of warm lager in this case...) but so what? If people like it and it makes them feel happy, good luck to them.

Indeed. Picking on one artist who Dickson can't relate too shows he's a dinosaur and should leave the kids to enjoy what they like.

I'm watching a bit of Calvin Harris now and it's really rubbish. You can't even see him there. For all they know it could be Jimmy Saville and DLT putting on a couple of his extended remixes on a turntable.

I've no problem with it being marketed as music for download but it's stretching trade descriptions more than a little bit to claim it's live music.

I'm watching a bit of Calvin Harris now and it's really rubbish. You can't even see him there. For all they know it could be Jimmy Saville and DLT putting on a couple of his extended remixes on a turntable.

I've no problem with it being marketed as music for download but it's stretching trade descriptions more than a little bit to claim it's live music.

But, if people like it...? What's the problem? Like I said earlier, it's not really my cup of tea, but it IS others. So what? Music is an art form, and all art is subjective. I always think there's no such thing as good or bad music. Simply, music you either like or dislike.

But, if people like it...? What's the problem? Like I said earlier, it's not really my cup of tea, but it IS others. So what? Music is an art form, and all art is subjective. I always think there's no such thing as good or bad music. Simply, music you either like or dislike.

Fine but that's not the point I'm making. If you read my post again I've said that I'm fine with music like that being sold. What I think is out of order is it being marketed as a live performance.

Fine but that's not the point I'm making. If you read my post again I've said that I'm fine with music like that being sold. What I think is out of order is it being marketed as a live performance.

This is no use... I'm in complete agreement with StuDick! This can't go on! I do agree with you though, and like you, I do like a lot of this 'type of music' on CD, at home, in the car... but going to a live concert/gig experience to see someone esconsed behind some record decks surrounded by technology and twiddling some knobs? Away and feck' yersel'. Now - could I stand up there and do whatever it is Calvin Harris or Fatboy Slim do? Not at this moment, but give me some training and I'll give it a blast. Could I stand up there and do whatever it is Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Page or Angus Young do? Not in a million years.

To add a bit of balance though, I have a few Calvin Harris tracks on my iPod, and I think they're great tracks. I absolutely love the Propellerheads album 'Decksanddrumsandrockandroll' - their lengthy version of the James Bond theme 'OHMSS' is simply wonderful, as is 'History Repeating' with Dame Shirley Bassey. I've got a CD by a Japanese DJ called 'DJ Krush' - great stuff. I have a few other tracks and CDs nestling quite comfortably alongside my other CDs.

If any of them were poncing around a stage twiddling their knobs though, I wouldn't be within 500 miles of it. I'm not interested in watching men twiddle their knobs. Others may disagree!

he's making music live, so it is live music. His laptop and the programme he is using is his instrument for making music, times change as does technology embrace it or reject it, I'm sure it doesn't really matter to Calvin Harris.

You are all like the people at the school dance in Back to the future, as Marty McFly, says "I guess you guys aren't ready for this? Well your kids are going to Love it!"

This is no use... I'm in complete agreement with StuDick! This can't go on! I do agree with you though, and like you, I do like a lot of this 'type of music' on CD, at home, in the car... but going to a live concert/gig experience to see someone esconsed behind some record decks surrounded by technology and twiddling some knobs? Away and feck' yersel'. Now - could I stand up there and do whatever it is Calvin Harris or Fatboy Slim do? Not at this moment, but give me some training and I'll give it a blast. Could I stand up there and do whatever it is Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Page or Angus Young do? Not in a million years.

To add a bit of balance though, I have a few Calvin Harris tracks on my iPod, and I think they're great tracks. I absolutely love the Propellerheads album 'Decksanddrumsandrockandroll' - their lengthy version of the James Bond theme 'OHMSS' is simply wonderful, as is 'History Repeating' with Dame Shirley Bassey. I've got a CD by a Japanese DJ called 'DJ Krush' - great stuff. I have a few other tracks and CDs nestling quite comfortably alongside my other CDs.

If any of them were poncing around a stage twiddling their knobs though, I wouldn't be within 500 miles of it. I'm not interested in watching men twiddle their knobs. Others may disagree!

Fatboy slim gets paid what he does for playing tunes because of the music he has made, same as Calvin Harris, neither of them are as technically good at djing as some guys that also make a lot of money from doing it, it may not be your bag but do not discredit these guys by saying they are merely playing records. There is a massive degree of a skill in mixing tunes and records seamlessly for hours. Identifying tunes that match one another, that change/distorts/warps one another but still sounds like music is pretty difficult. Ok the actual process of moving a cross fader on a mixer is pretty easy but so is banging a drum, doesn't mean it's easy to be a drummer.

1st time I saw Calvin Harris (who I dislike by the way) he was standing on a stage in passing rain moaning that people were queuing to get into a tent to see "some guy playing someone else's music" he quickly learnt that if he could do what Carl Cox had been doing for 20 years before him then people may queue to see him.

I know it's not everyone's bag but good dj's work incredibly hard, oh and Fatboy slim is a great producer as well as a very entertaining dj :D

Fatboy slim gets paid what he does for playing tunes because of the music he has made, same as Calvin Harris, neither of them are as technically good at djing as some guys that also make a lot of money from doing it, it may not be your bag but do not discredit these guys by saying they are merely playing records. There is a massive degree of a skill in mixing tunes and records seamlessly for hours. Identifying tunes that match one another, that change/distorts/warps one another but still sounds like music is pretty difficult. Ok the actual process of moving a cross fader on a mixer is pretty easy but so is banging a drum, doesn't mean it's easy to be a drummer.

1st time I saw Calvin Harris (who I dislike by the way) he was standing on a stage in passing rain moaning that people were queuing to get into a tent to see "some guy playing someone else's music" he quickly learnt that if he could do what Carl Cox had been doing for 20 years before him then people may queue to see him.

I know it's not everyone's bag but good dj's work incredibly hard, oh and Fatboy slim is a great producer as well as a very entertaining dj :D

ps Fatboy Slim is also a St Mirren Fan! post-6664-13737901053948_thumb.jpg

he doesn't "source" backing tracks he writes them! He creates the music!