T In The Park

Stuart Dickson

"Punters were told not to bring in fireworks, flares, etc or they would get arrested.

Two eejits brought in flares and promptly got arrested.

How thick are some people ?"

"In fairness you're asking that question about people who paid £200 to live in a tent and listen to someone who had plugged in a laptop.

The flares thing was mildly stupid in comparison."

Flares are seriously uncool, so 70s. Was it the fashion police that arrested them?

Yo Dicky. It's yoof innit. £200 smackers to like sleep in a tent and like listen to like boring pish music is like a bargain like.

Apparently when you're over 30 you are not allowed to have opinions about modern "music", have sex, wear cool clothing or know what having a good time is. Apparently we are all "old" now.

Shhhhh don't tell the under 30's that our generation actually organised T in the Park, that it's named after a corporate sponsor, that our generation designed and manufactured the instruments used by the bands, designed the clothes most of them bought from Primark, designed and built the stage, sorted out all the refreshments and control the entire music industry itself. Our generation requires that young generation to think that they have somehow found the keys to Castle Cool and are the sole owners.

Let's just keep that as our wee secret because we need these gullible twats to pay our pensions and keep our businesses afloat. I mean what other generation spends £100 on a branded pair of jeans when you can buy the same material but unbranded for £12 and thinks that they are getting "pure quality maaaaaan"? Who else is stupid enough to laugh at £6 trainers in Asda but will spend £40 on exactly the same thing because someone wrote the word "Converse" on it? I wonder if the kids who made those branded jeans in Bangladesh agree about the quality?

I love young people. When I was a software engineer they kept me in a nice house by unnecessarily buying up the latest mobile phones I was involved in designing (yes those wee ipads and things are largely designed and built by our generation too).

Maybe shouldn't have a T in the Park thread in future years it seems too much for the insecures folks on the board.

"Punters were told not to bring in fireworks, flares, etc or they would get arrested.

Two eejits brought in flares and promptly got arrested.

How thick are some people ?"

"In fairness you're asking that question about people who paid £200 to live in a tent and listen to someone who had plugged in a laptop.

The flares thing was mildly stupid in comparison."

Flares are seriously uncool, so 70s. Was it the fashion police that arrested them?

Ah the case for the defence, them as attended will just be gettin' back 'ome, though in what state? To paraphrase The Verve - the quote functions don't work.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Maybe shouldn't have a T in the Park thread in future years it seems too much for the insecures folks on the board.

Ach you young folk don't like having the piss taken out of you these days.

In 20 years you'll be shaking your head in embarassment at the stuff you did as a kid just like all the other grown ups.

Been there. Done that. In the 80s.

Thanks (belatedly)' Oaky. smile.png

Well I hope you paid for it yourself unlike this particular generation who genuinely seem to believe that money just appears under your pillow after a visit from the pixies and that mummy and daddy are there to be financially plundered for life.

I recently sat close to a 20 year old student as she yelled down the phone at her parents at the unfairness of them not giving her ".........only £80 quid for a night oot. Ah meen wot can ye buy fur £50 anyway......"

Most of these kids enjoying their £200 jolly listening to pre-recorded "live" music (Slim Boy Twat or something....) had it paid for by mummypoos so of course it sounds like a f**king bargain. Free stuff always does.

Some of them are even getting mummy to pay for their house deposit. What the absolute f**k is wrong with these kids???? What's wrong with their PARENTS agreeing to it??????

Am I going off topic now? I think so...... biggrin.png

Edited by oaksoft

Two months ago my daughters iPhone 5 was stolen same has happend at T In The Park. Told my daughter not to take it but you know the young ones they have to have their phones

I'm not surprised at the theft. She's walking around with a phone which is more expensive than many laptops and desktop PC's.

In fact they are more expensive than my TV.

Why on earth would you allow her to have something like that?

I'm genuinely interested BTW.

f**king hell. Oaksoft, Pozbaird and I agree. There's a first.

I actually agree with absolutely everything Oaksoft has said on this thread - including the comment about kids with their iPhones 5. Why would parents do that? Letting their kids wander around with nearly £600 worth of equipment in their pocket is hardly common sense. My kids have had mobile phones since they were pretty young but they've always been less expensive, less popular brands. It's worked in my favour too as both have managed to leave one of their mobile phones on the bus home from school on one occasion each. In both instances both kids shat themselves before coming home to tell me they'd lost it and in both instances their phones were handed in and returned to us - would that have happened if it had been the latest "cool" expensive phone? I seriously doubt it.

One parent I know received a phone call from her shaken up 15 year old daughter from T In The Park yesterday. Apparently she woke up to some drunk lad sleeping in her tent between her and her pal. It appears that nothing happened and the lad was genuinely apologetic for going to the wrong tent, but you have to ask a question about why parents let their kids go to these things never mind pay for them to go. You can trust your own kids all you like but putting them in an environment where everyone around them is pished or doped up is never going to be sensible no matter the right of passage.

f**king hell. Oaksoft, Pozbaird and I agree. There's a first.

I actually agree with absolutely everything Oaksoft has said on this thread - including the comment about kids with their iPhones 5. Why would parents do that? Letting their kids wander around with nearly £600 worth of equipment in their pocket is hardly common sense. My kids have had mobile phones since they were pretty young but they've always been less expensive, less popular brands. It's worked in my favour too as both have managed to leave one of their mobile phones on the bus home from school on one occasion each. In both instances both kids shat themselves before coming home to tell me they'd lost it and in both instances their phones were handed in and returned to us - would that have happened if it had been the latest "cool" expensive phone? I seriously doubt it.

One parent I know received a phone call from her shaken up 15 year old daughter from T In The Park yesterday. Apparently she woke up to some drunk lad sleeping in her tent between her and her pal. It appears that nothing happened and the lad was genuinely apologetic for going to the wrong tent, but you have to ask a question about why parents let their kids go to these things never mind pay for them to go. You can trust your own kids all you like but putting them in an environment where everyone around them is pished or doped up is never going to be sensible no matter the right of passage.

I was truly shocked last week when leaving the bus at Buchanan St on Thursday & Friday to see how young most of the T in the park-ers appeared to me, mostly between 14-18 years old. Dozens being dropped off by mummy or daddy to head off in a group of their peers without supervision.

When you think of the scumbags who gravitate towards these kids, it makes my skin crawl-before rock ness last year there was a heavy police presence around the bus station and you could see the pushers and runners heading for the hills and phoning/signalling each other to say the game was a bogey. No such visible presence this year

I'm not surprised at the theft. She's walking around with a phone which is more expensive than many laptops and desktop PC's.

In fact they are more expensive than my TV.

Why on earth would you allow her to have something like that?

I'm genuinely interested BTW.

My daughter turned 18 years and is at Uni in Edinburgh so I bought her a full package which included the iPhone. For me it's about safety maybe being stuck somewhere and being able to call the family at anytime. So why then an iPhone I hear you ask. It's what kids want plus I'm in the fortunate position of being able to afford this.for her. My daughter has very good morals and works hard with life being very short ( I've lost two brothers ) I will do my best to give my daughter what I can if it's going to make her happy.

Two months ago my daughters iPhone 5 was stolen same has happend at T In The Park. Told my daughter not to take it but you know the young ones they have to have their phones

That does my tits in. There's loads of chancers springing up charging a fiver to plug your smartphone in for ten minutes. IMO the experience is lessened having one.

My idea of a festival is turning up with what you can carry on your back and nothing that requires plugged in anywhere, save my old Sony Erriccson just in case there's an emergency. Damn smartphones are a distraction from all the good stuff going on around you.

Anyway, I got back today in a pretty good mood. I was regretting buying my ticket in the run-up because I wasn't impressed with the line-up, but it turned out pretty well. I enjoyed The Proclaimers, Mumford & Sons, The Fratellies, Ocean Colour Scene, The Killers, Stereophonics and especially Travis and Frank Turner.

Rihanna was shite, but I knew that anyway.

Might go back next year, but it does piss me off what a rip-off the place is once you're inside the arena. £4.20 for a pint of pisswater is a joke, as is not being allowed to bring your own food or soft drinks in.

Plus the good guy/wank ratio is getting silly.

Ach you young folk don't like having the piss taken out of you these days.

In 20 years you'll be shaking your head in embarassment at the stuff you did as a kid just like all the other grown ups.

I shake my head at things I did 20 years ago, I shake my head at things I did last week, I shake my head at your "been there done that" posts.

I'm not sure where anyone has taken the piss out me or where anyone was having a go at you and or Stu for being over 30. In my posts to Stu I was pointing him in the right direction regarding what Calvin Harris does, in my post to Poz I was suggesting what Fatboy Slim does isn't all that easy, if it was easy more people would do it for the money he gets.

I agree with most of your points that aren't actually about the music at the festival, ie cost, kids not paying there own way, iPhone 5's etc but felt the need to comment on the music, which you have not offered an opinion on.

Thank all your mate's for Pioneering T in the park, inventing I pads, slicing the bread and of course inventing that wheel you all did ever so well inventing.

:D

My daughter turned 18 years and is at Uni in Edinburgh so I bought her a full package which included the iPhone. For me it's about safety maybe being stuck somewhere and being able to call the family at anytime. So why then an iPhone I hear you ask. It's what kids want plus I'm in the fortunate position of being able to afford this.for her. My daughter has very good morals and works hard with life being very short ( I've lost two brothers ) I will do my best to give my daughter what I can if it's going to make her happy.

My son is the same age.

Kids are extremely good at knowing what they want and extremely f**king useless at knowing what they need.

In my long experience, giving them what they want does not make them happy, it makes them dependent and less able to stand on their own two feet.

I think this generation of parents have got that completely wrong and an entire generation of spoilt dependent kids appears to back me up on this.

At 18 they are WAAAAAAY too old for me to be buying them anything whatsoever. I know that if I start buying him iphones he'll want ipads, converse trainers and £100 jeans. Before you know it he'll be 25 years old and asking me to help him with a deposit for a house.

Nothing beats paying for something with money you've earned yourself and my kids jealously guard every single thing they own because they paid for it themselves.

I'm not going to tell you how to bring up your kids though.

I shake my head at things I did 20 years ago, I shake my head at things I did last week, I shake my head at your "been there done that" posts.

I'm not sure where anyone has taken the piss out me or where anyone was having a go at you and or Stu for being over 30. In my posts to Stu I was pointing him in the right direction regarding what Calvin Harris does, in my post to Poz I was suggesting what Fatboy Slim does isn't all that easy, if it was easy more people would do it for the money he gets.

I agree with most of your points that aren't actually about the music at the festival, ie cost, kids not paying there own way, iPhone 5's etc but felt the need to comment on the music, which you have not offered an opinion on.

Thank all your mate's for Pioneering T in the park, inventing I pads, slicing the bread and of course inventing that wheel you all did ever so well inventing.

biggrin.png

All modern music is boring, repetitive and I've heard it all before. I don't consider it to be particularly shite or "just noise" though - it's just lame.

Travis, Killers, Kings of Leon, a stream of second rate rappers who think they are the first to swear on a record, wear their trousers round their knees, act tough and hard, display the bling or have girls tediously whoring themselves on their videos - f**k me - wake me up when someone does something remotely original and exciting.

Edited by oaksoft

I was truly shocked last week when leaving the bus at Buchanan St on Thursday & Friday to see how young most of the T in the park-ers appeared to me, mostly between 14-18 years old. Dozens being dropped off by mummy or daddy to head off in a group of their peers without supervision.

When you think of the scumbags who gravitate towards these kids, it makes my skin crawl-before rock ness last year there was a heavy police presence around the bus station and you could see the pushers and runners heading for the hills and phoning/signalling each other to say the game was a bogey. No such visible presence this year

Yeah I'm with you on the bit about being too young.

Today's kids are not as mature as older generations - nowhere near.

18 years old in today's money translates into 14 years old from a generation ago.

I blame today's parents for spoiling their kids I really do think that's the issue.

Kids know the price of everything now but the value of absolutely squat.

It's not the fault of the kids. It's the parents.

My son is the same age.

Kids are extremely good at knowing what they want and extremely f**king useless at knowing what they need.

In my long experience, giving them what they want does not make them happy, it makes them dependent and less able to stand on their own two feet.

I think this generation of parents have got that completely wrong and an entire generation of spoilt dependent kids appears to back me up on this.

At 18 they are WAAAAAAY too old for me to be buying them anything whatsoever. I know that if I start buying him iphones he'll want ipads, converse trainers and £100 jeans. Before you know it he'll be 25 years old and asking me to help him with a deposit for a house.

Nothing beats paying for something with money you've earned yourself and my kids jealously guard every single thing they own because they paid for it themselves.

I'm not going to tell you how to bring up your kids though.

We are all different Oaksoft and fully understand and respect what your writing. My daughter has a part time job in a Edinburgh hotel for her own pocket. She shops on a budget for cloths and food and manages to save a wee bit for things like her T In The Park ticket. Her and her friend take time out to do old floks shopping for free. The most pleasing thing for me is she keeps well away from student loans , have had long talks on debt and she understands how important it is to be debt free after Uni. Of course we pay my daughter rent. As a father I’m happy she is standing on her own two feet away from home, however we will always help out when needed to keep off these student loans so far everything is going smoothly. There unforsseen payments to help, go to London and work with a magazine for work experience but I don’t see that as spoiling your child that is setting foundations for the future.

All modern music is boring, repetitive and I've heard it all before. I don't consider it to be particularly shite or "just noise" though - it's just lame.

Travis, Killers, Kings of Leon, a stream of second rate rappers who think they are the first to swear on a record, wear their trousers round their knees, act tough and hard, display the bling or have girls tediously whoring themselves on their videos - f**k me - wake me up when someone does something remotely original and exciting.

I wouldn't really class any of the acts you mentioned as being particularly 'modern'!! How long have Travis been around for??

We are all different Oaksoft and fully understand and respect what your writing. My daughter has a part time job in a Edinburgh hotel for her own pocket. She shops on a budget for cloths and food and manages to save a wee bit for things like her T In The Park ticket. Her and her friend take time out to do old floks shopping for free. The most pleasing thing for me is she keeps well away from student loans , have had long talks on debt and she understands how important it is to be debt free after Uni. Of course we pay my daughter rent. As a father I’m happy she is standing on her own two feet away from home, however we will always help out when needed to keep off these student loans so far everything is going smoothly. There unforsseen payments to help, go to London and work with a magazine for work experience but I don’t see that as spoiling your child that is setting foundations for the future.

I should point out that calling it a loan is misleading.

It's not really a loan at all.

It's more of a graduate tax on earnings above £16,000.

£9 per thousand above £16,000 regardless of what you owe and nothing to pay below that.

So if you owe £4,000 and earn £22,000 a year you'll pay just £54 per month on income of about £2000.

If you owe £20,000 on that salary you'll still pay just £54 per month.

Hardly worth worrying about. Most young people piss that up against a wall in one night at the pub.

It's not a loan in the sense that there is no need to actually pay it off.

It'll be cleared after 35 years unless she decides to pay it early.

Most people are not expected to pay it off in their lifetimes.

Edited by oaksoft

Ok... got back yesterday afternoon and spent most of yesterday catching up on sleep and doing laundry (muds is actually easier to clean off than the fecking dust). Without responding to all the things raised by others I'll pick up on a few points.

I'm 38 and have been to TITP for a number of years, but this was the first time I actually camped out as previously did the commute daily back and forward from Bonnybridge (clean bed and warm showers!), but living back in Paisley we decided this time to go camping. The campsite is not for the faint hearted and yeah there are a good number of idiots there, but more so the 30 somethings than youngsters in my experience. We'd ended up camped next to a group of about 10 guys from Killie, all between 17-20 and they were great, noisy and partied all night but did no damage. The biggest problem were the adult with disposable incomes who behaved like twats and wrecked tents, or set fire to them on the Monday etc. For anyone taking a phone, or anything of any value, there were on site lockers (with charging points) which are great to avoid getting stuff nicked. The booze is over priced, but we did several early runs back and forward to the car and Sainsbury's in Kinross to top up, and did a fair bit of drinking in the camp site between bands... next year we will be better prepped at smuggling drinks into the main site!

On the music side I get some of the comments about Calvin Harris, I was pissed off as it wasn't flagged as a DJ set (had been in previous years) and was a bit of a let down for me. However I would argue about Chase n Status, and Labrinth, Disclosure, and Rudimental, as I saw all of them over the weekend and they all "played" live, and yeah for some bits that means elements of pre-recorded loops and drums, but much like rock and indie gigs it's as much about being part of the communal experience of being around others who enjoy the music. For the "dance" acts (the latter 3) I saw in Kig Tuts tent the audience was really well mixed in terms of ages ranging from the young kids of 30 somethings, upto and including folks in their 40s n 50s. Highlights for the weekend for me was Miles Kane, looking forward to seeing him in September again.

We'd a great weekend and will definitely be back next year :)