The 80's

The Villa pre season game was agsinst us and Aspinall got sent off for stamping on David Winnie. St Mirren won 1-0, Paul Chalmers scoring early on.

Memories, memories... So we lost out on McInally due to Aspinall being a fanny, we lost out on Ronaldinho due to an administrative delay, we lost out on Ian Harte due to a toilet stop at Gretna services, and we lost out on Craig Beattie due to Hearts being cheating non-paying administration bound bawbags. Hmm. Just a shame Steve Archibald couldn't have had a minor car crash or something on the way to the airport.

That tourney at Ibrox was great although we narrowly lost both games, gave us a chance to see us play against real stars like Laurie Cunningham , Brian Robson , Tony Brown , Peter Osgood , Alan Ball etc

To this day, the West Brom game remains one of the best quality and most highly entertaining football matches I've ever attended in nearly 50 years of following football. With all due respect to our current heroes, could you imagine saying that about any St. Mirren game these days?

Anyone have the West Brom line up from this game? Didn't remember Ally Brown scoring a hat trick or a young Bryan Robson scoring. Seem to remember Cunningham and Regis both played, but would be interested to see the full line up.

can anyone remember some of the pre season games of the 80's like arsenal and tampa bay rowdies

I remember that Arsenal game where Peter Weir went out to impress having heard that they were interested. He scored two good goals that day but I also remember their player Paul Davis having a blinder. We lost that game 3-2 I think.

Anyone have the West Brom line up from this game? Didn't remember Ally Brown scoring a hat trick or a young Bryan Robson scoring. Seem to remember Cunningham and Regis both played, but would be interested to see the full line up.

Godden, Batson, Statham, T Brown, Wile, Robertson, Robson, Cantello, Regis, Johnston, Cunningham.

It was the veteran Tony Brown with the hat-trick.

Wasn't there some strange experimental offside rule for the Tampa game. Zones on the pitch or something.

If I remember rightly the "no offside zone", created by extending the 18-yard line to the sidelines was used during the Drybrough Cup competition in the early 1970s. It was an attempt to produce higher-scoring matches but was not extended to other competitions.

If I remember rightly the "no offside zone", created by extending the 18-yard line to the sidelines was used during the Drybrough Cup competition in the early 1970s. It was an attempt to produce higher-scoring matches but was not extended to other competitions.

That's right , it was also used for one season in the League Cup (73-74) and to a certain extent it worked , against us of course. We lost 5-4 to Clyde in a memorable match and they had a big guy called Mick Gillespie who stood "offside" all night and scored a hat trick !

The Arsenal game was played because we lost 2-0 to Dumbarton at Love St in the 3rd round of the Scottish.Arsenal were also knocked out the English Cup in the early rounds.We played for a trophy,the Gilougely(sp) Cup if I'm not mistaken.The game was moved from a Sat to the Sun as the Manky Mob from the arse of the bank complained.They'd be drawn at home in the Cup and thought our game would affect their crowd.

The Tampa game was,I'm sure,a Tues or Weds.They had an American style shoot out at half time....with a ball,not guns!!!

Did Macca miss a pen in our 3-0 victory over the Hammers?

Good thread.

Yep....This was an alternative in USA football to our penalty. 30 yards run up on the keeper and we were awful! .....I think we got one?....I know zico missed!

Home Friendlies against non Scottish opposition in the 80's........

08/10/80..Tampa Bay...4-2

15/02/81..Arsenal...2-3

09/08/82..Leeds 3-1

13/09/83..QPR..3-2

02/09/86..West Ham..3-0

01/09/87..Southampton..1-2

11/03/88..Shrewsbury..2-3

06/09/88..Aston Villa..1-0

12/09/88..Orlando Lions..2-0

31/07/89..QPR..2-2

05/08/89..Middlesboro..0-0

I seem to remember a game right before the start of the paisley fair in 1980, a horrendous rainy night if i recall correctly. Have i got this confused with the Tampa game?

The only night game around that time was ......................

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1980&GameID=1791

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Jeff Curran pretty well. He was a decent young player who came to the club from Junior football and after a few seasons of being on the fringes of a starting place he left to go to Hong Kong Rangers. That might have just been a summer thing - Jimmy Bone used to do that as well going to the USA to play when the Scottish season ended and Bone went to HKR that season as well. Curran landed up at Stirling Albion and then went on to become a Scottish Junior Cup winning captain at Pollock in the mid 80's. As far as I know he's in the Police Force these days.