Book Or Kindle

Bit slow with gagets these days so what's the pros and cons of the Kindle ? Thinking my eye's will be able to read more pages at night with a bright screen than say a book ( mature cheader here ) Got three books away this trip add in the magazines and news papers then it's quite a weight to carry around in transit..

A couple of years ago, I'd have said that I could never read a book on something electronic. Then I bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas in 2011, and it is great. The charge lasts for 3-6 weeks, even if you are reading for 3 or 4 hours a day on it, the screen isn't like reading on a normal electronic device - no eye strain or glare at all.

I bought a Kobo Touch (WH Smith version of the Kindle) about 6 weeks ago, and it does everything a Kindle can do, but goes further in terms of the formats it can read. I won't go into detail as to why that is desirable, but having both in the house, I would personally recommend the Kobo over the Kindle to anyone reading.

So much better having one of these when going on holiday than lugging several actual books about.

It takes me a year to read a book, still trying to get through the excellent 'Nemesis' by Peter Evans, the story about Aristotle Onassis and the Kennedys. Everyone was shagging everyone else behind each other's back - or stabbing each other in the back. Fascinating story, but it might take me another six months to finish it. If I have some downtime, I prefer putting headphones on and listening to my iPod, than reading.

I've never tried a kindle. Maybe I'm a Luddite but I can't imagine reading a book that isn't physically a book. A book should look like a book and feel like a book IMO.

I can maybe understand the attraction of a kindle for taking on holiday, less weight and bulkiness to carry around, but I still advocate the real thing ahead of technological progress.

Kindle is great. I've also got the Kindle App on an Android Tablet but i prefer reading on the Kindle. A good program on your PC to compliment the Kindle is Calibre e-book management software (free to download) which offers excellent format conversion options and manages free newspaper subscriptions, etc.

Pros of device: portability, can up the font size if you forget your specs / are in fading eyesight denial stage, instant gratification access, no need to go to an actual shop and interact with humans

Cons: drop it / lose it and it's more than few quid gone, yet another effing gadget that needs charging, cables, crash risk etc; hard to love, instant gratification access cheapens the overall experience; potential book shop killer.

Normally at home I prefer books or even a newspaper as there's just something about holding the paper in your hand and actually turning pages instead of looking at a screen, (to me it's like the difference between going to a game and watching a game on the telly). But I have a tablet with an e-book reader app (and also Calibre which is great for changing formats) which lets me go on holiday and take a stack of books, browse the internet, listen to music etc.I also use a solar charger for the tablet.

I think there will eventually come a day when you can't buy a book, newspaper or magazine and everything will be on an e-reader but that will be a few years away.

Not easy to get books that I would read in Bangkok. Was home last new year and treated myself to a Kobo. (Kindle's were sold out, and Kobo seemed just as good.)

Now i can read what I like. Download prices are competitive.

7 months on, delighted with it. No complaints.

Edited by Qarsaan

• 7 years later...