Bring Back Carey

I agreed with the decision to release Carey back in May but I never doubted his talent just the ability of DL or any manager to get the best out of him - for me his best position is wing-back in a 3-5-2. However as we seem to have missed out on our first choice signings (and if the current rumours about Aswad are ill-founded) I'd be happy to see us offer him a 1 year deal providing he was to sign up sharpish. Let's face it he's not such a hot ticket as he was two summers ago...............

We've saved two months wages, and would be able to offer him a good bit less than we would have offered in May. It might be worth a gamble at this point, but I stand by what I said when he left - he hasn't contributed enough for us. Needs to up his game wherever he ends up.

Carey. Miranda. Lappin.

Talented, not good enough defensively, but decent going forward. Where to play them? Somewhere on the left side, floating around the touchline. There's the problem. They're not really one thing or the other, and not talented enough to be allowed to play wherever the hell they want - like a certain Mr G. Bale for example.

Carey has talent but, sadly, not as much as he thinks he does. He gave the impression of being a big game player, usually saving his best performances for the toughest matches, but in my opinion the only thing that changed for him in these games was his attitudes towards the opposition.

For me, his best game for us was the semi-final against Celtic, why? Because he knew he was up against a good winger and that meant he stayed focused and kept things simple for the full match. He put in a solid defensive display and looked very comfortable. However, when it came to playing against Dundee, Kilmarnock, Ross County etc, he fancied himself a little too much. He got caught on the ball trying to repeatedly skin his man and wasted possession constantly attempting 40 yard Hollywood passes. If he could play every match with the approach he took when facing a top winger then he would be an asset at left back, unfortunately, when we play a smaller team he seems determined to prove he's the next Dani Alves...

I was disappointed to see him leave, because he has potential, but he also had a lot to learn about defending, and required a serious attitude adjustment...

Carey has talent but, sadly, not as much as he thinks he does. He gave the impression of being a big game player, usually saving his best performances for the toughest matches, but in my opinion the only thing that changed for him in these games was his attitudes towards the opposition.

For me, his best game for us was the semi-final against Celtic, why? Because he knew he was up against a good winger and that meant he stayed focused and kept things simple for the full match. He put in a solid defensive display and looked very comfortable. However, when it came to playing against Dundee, Kilmarnock, Ross County etc, he fancied himself a little too much. He got caught on the ball trying to repeatedly skin his man and wasted possession constantly attempting 40 yard Hollywood passes. If he could play every match with the approach he took when facing a top winger then he would be an asset at left back, unfortunately, when we play a smaller team he seems determined to prove he's the next Dani Alves...

I was disappointed to see him leave, because he has potential, but he also had a lot to learn about defending, and required a serious attitude adjustment...

He was a stand-out in the left back position against Dundee by all accounts.

I entirely agree that he was inconsistent, but an element of the manager's job is to address this.

When Charlie Adam joined Saints on loan he wasn't in the best of shape and stories circulated regarding his attitude etc., yet he was quickly whipped into shape. It can be done.

I think an Andy Millen type character in the coaching staff gets the best out of guys like Carey. A seasoned pro who looks after himself and is driven to be the best he can be, and expects nothing less from his charges.

I wonder if sometimes Danny tries a bit too hard to be mates with the players and this can cause friction when he has to confront things head on. Maybe I'm way off the mark on this, right enough.

In any event, if a player doesn't look after himself and/or mouths off etc., surely he should be fined or disciplined in some other way. Behaviour modification etc...

My tuppence worth is that Carey has sufficient talent to justify a bit extra work and investment (not financial). I think Danny got it spot-on with his approach to nurturing McGowan, but perhaps a different approach is required with a player who clearly has a different temperament. In saying all this, there is not the remotest possibility that Carey will be back at Saints, so it is all a bit academic.

Edited by Drew

When Charlie Adam joined Saints on loan he wasn't in the best of shape and stories circulated regarding his attitude etc., yet he was quickly whipped into shape. It can be done.

Player has got to play a big part in that as well.

Player has got to play a big part in that as well.

I don't disagree with that, but there have been (and are currently) plenty of players who could be considered to have poor application and a dubious attitude, but coaches feel it is worthwhile investing the resources into turning this around.

It doesn't seem so long ago that many on here would have written McGowan off as a narky, moaning-faced wee shite with an attitude problem. I never bought into that, but I wonder how many who did would have been upset to see him leave back then, yet look at how important a player he is for us now.

Managers don't let good players walk away so what FTOF wrote adds up to me.Carey looked a much hungrier player in his first spell with us.

I can have a great chef at my work but his atitude is just as important as his cooking skills he has got to fit into the team spirit if the kitchen is to be successful a football team is no diffrent. Good luck to Carey he has what it takes but only he can help himself if he want's to make it in the game.

Would take him back in a heartbeat but not as a left back let him loose on the left wing Ian Ross style! Him and Teale down the flanks in prefered positions with a solid left back playing behind him and bring in a striker to complement Thomo. Jigsaw pieces final (rearrange)

Never got a decent run in his favoured position Danny was and is a fool for letting a player go who was and still is needed in our squad. Would he come back yes will Danny ask him NO

The manager was 100% correct to let him go.

A huge underachiever overall.

Only the signing of Dargo has left me more underwhelmed, relative to a players potential.

Maybe if he had adopted McGowan's work ethic and mentality, he'd still be here.

Edited by FTOF

Offer him half to 3/4 the wage he was on and he'll probably bite our hand off now. Doesn't look like he's going to get offered anywhere near what he was on from any other club so he's not in any position to knock ot back. I didn't agree with letting him go as he can cover the whole left side so unless Danny has another gem to unearth on the left side I'd go back and get Carey on the cheap

Would take him back in a heartbeat but not as a left back let him loose on the left wing Ian Ross style! Him and Teale down the flanks in prefered positions with a solid left back playing behind him and bring in a striker to complement Thomo. Jigsaw pieces final (rearrange)

Sadly not got the pace for left wing

He was a stand-out in the left back position against Dundee by all accounts.

I entirely agree that he was inconsistent, but an element of the manager's job is to address this.

I think an Andy Millen type character in the coaching staff gets the best out of guys like Carey. A seasoned pro who looks after himself and is driven to be the best he can be, and expects nothing less from his charges.

I wonder if sometimes Danny tries a bit too hard to be mates with the players and this can cause friction when he has to confront things head on. Maybe I'm way off the mark on this, right enough.

In any event, if a player doesn't look after himself and/or mouths off etc., surely he should be fined or disciplined in some other way. Behaviour modification etc...

My tuppence worth is that Carey has sufficient talent to justify a bit extra work and investment (not financial). I think Danny got it spot-on with his approach to nurturing McGowan, but perhaps a different approach is required with a player who clearly has a different temperament. In saying all this, there is not the remotest possibility that Carey will be back at Saints, so it is all a bit academic.

I have to say I was just using Dundee as an example of the smaller teams we face, if he played a blinder against them I apologise. I agree about the Andy Millen character in the coaching team. I think bringing in Tommy Craig was a good move, and has gone some of the way to addressing it. Some players will take note, some will refuse to be helped unfortunately