Aqua Plaining On M8

My wife was driving along the M8 last night coming from Edinburgh on the inside lane due to heavy rain when she was smacked by a car pushing the drivers door in and smashing all the side windows. Witnesses told police most cars were driving slow around 50mph when this car came speeding along and aqua plained into the side of the wife's car pushing the drivers door in and seating off the side air bags while all the glass along the drivers side smashed. Last night she thought she was ok just a bit in shock , however today she has marks on her chest and has back pain so will visit the doctor later today. Turns out the guy was only 19 years old who aqua plained into my wife. Some young drivers don't seem to be able to read road conditions and think they are indestructible. I see young drivers on the B737 racing a lot at night they have no idea that many drivers are killed on that road every year. The wife seems more concerned about the car as it's only 4 month old. Metal can be replaced but you can't replace an arm of a leg. This is when you wish everyone would just take a bit more care on the roads as it's just not your own health that will affect you.

Sorry to hear this. Hope she recovers quickly.

Most accidents on the motorway are caused by arseholes who seem to be incapable of driving with respect to the road conditions at the time.

If it is proven that the alleged offender was driving dangerously, then he deserves all he gets.

I hope your wife is okay Ian, and isn't too shaken.

I drove up the M74 yesterday during the peak of the downpour and it was very hairy indeed. Despite this, a few clowns still insisted in driving like lunatics with no regard for the truly hellish conditions.

I hope your wife is okay Ian, and isn't too shaken.

I drove up the M74 yesterday during the peak of the downpour and it was very hairy indeed. Despite this, a few clowns still insisted in driving like lunatics with no regard for the truly hellish conditions.

I was driving from Johnstone to Cumbernauld on the M8 during the deluge. Everyone was taking it nice and easy, aside from one knob in a Ford Luton van. I think everyone knew it was well-dodgy and drove accordingly.

I see the results of accidents through my work Lochwinnoch.

I was at the crash last week between Kilbirnie and Lochwinnoch. A young guy racing along in a Bmw and crosses the double white lines on a bend and collides with another car.

As usual the driver who caused it walks away uninjured while the innocent one ends up in hospital.

Its always the other idiot driver you have to watch out for.

Hope your misses is ok.

I see the results of accidents through my work Lochwinnoch.

I was at the crash last week between Kilbirnie and Lochwinnoch. A young guy racing along in a Bmw and crosses the double white lines on a bend and collides with another car.

As usual the driver who caused it walks away uninjured while the innocent one ends up in hospital.

Its always the other idiot driver you have to watch out for.

Hope your misses is ok.

Yea I see that a lot on roads around Lochwinnoch these kids have no idea , ones that scare me are the samll cars with thin wheels you can see these cars just about sticking to the road and no more

I was driving from Johnstone to Cumbernauld on the M8 during the deluge. Everyone was taking it nice and easy, aside from one knob in a Ford Luton van. I think everyone knew it was well-dodgy and drove accordingly.

Aye, I didn't go over 50mph, and slowed down to 40mph while it was at its worst.

It wasn't even possible to see the lane markings at times - really scary, truth be told.

Thanks to you all for the kind words. Wife is back from the doctor just marks from the seatbelt which is great news :)

I used to wear my seat belt long before it was compulsory.

I was involved in a bad accident of someone else's making and the seat belt bruised my shoulder.

I asked my mate, who was a solicitor , if he thought I could get anything for it.

And he suggested ointment.

Bastard...................................and he's a sheriff now.

Sorry to hear that LS. My mum n dad experienced an HGV driver stalk them from the Kingston bridge on the M77.

They thought they had got away from him, eventually he cut them up at silverburn, only as he did so the back of his trailer caught the front of their car.

Sent them into a roll at around 50 mph, careering off the central reservation several times. Witnesses couldn't believe either of them were alive.

There are some arseholes on the road, thankfully that guy got amongst other things, a life time ban from driving large vehicles.

There's a lot to be said for Nissan primera's. the police certainly said the car had a lot to do with saving their lives.

Hope your wife recovers fully and gets back behind the wheel, my mum is still nervous when being over taken.

I sit my test in a couple of weeks and its other road users I'm most nervous about.

I hope your wife makes a speedy recovery , Ian. .

Some drivers just don't seem to realise the gravity of the way they drive in their desperation to go a break neck speeds. It often alarms me when I see how close cars get in my rearview mirror whilst driving on the motorway. There was a guy in a red Audi so close to me on the M74 tonight that I couldn't see his number plate . When it was safe l pulled into the middle lane and off he went at a great rate of knots. Then when he was a few hundred yards away I saw his brake lights go on because he had spotted the traffic rozzers on the inside lane , unfortunately. .

Thanks to you all for the kind words. Wife is back from the doctor just marks from the seatbelt which is great news smile.png

That's great to hear LS, BUT, just remember whiplash can take a day or two to kick in! whistling.gif ! Take this wee arseholes insurance for every penny & hopefully it will price him off the road!

Thanks to you all for the kind words. Wife is back from the doctor just marks from the seatbelt which is great news smile.png

punk.gif Great news L S.

It's not just young guys who don't know how to drive in wet conditions though.

I'm amazed by the number of people who think it's fine to drive at 20 mph in the middle or outside lane of a motorway. Driving to the conditions isn't all about speed. Plenty of room in front of you and move into the inside lane unless it's unsafe. This way you don't get irate drivers doing idiotic things.

Don't understand why some people think a speed limit must be done at all times and the speed some folk do in wet weather is insane. Equally so many people tailgate- I had someone yesterday who zoomed up behind me on the M74 after I pulled out to overtake a lorry and sat on my bumper (despite the outside lane being empty) till I finished overtaking and pulled in then they accelerated past and did the same to the next person in the middle lane!

Lucky everyone is OK, cars can get mended. The insurance will now kick the 19 year olds balls for the next 3 or 4 years- no wonder kids can't afford insurance!

Don't understand why some people think a speed limit must be done at all times and the speed some folk do in wet weather is insane. Equally so many people tailgate- I had someone yesterday who zoomed up behind me on the M74 after I pulled out to overtake a lorry and sat on my bumper (despite the outside lane being empty) till I finished overtaking and pulled in then they accelerated past and did the same to the next person in the middle lane!

Lucky everyone is OK, cars can get mended. The insurance will now kick the 19 year olds balls for the next 3 or 4 years- no wonder kids can't afford insurance!

Got to say the nom de guerre is somewhat ironic but I agree that there is NEVER a need to "tailgate". Speed limits are maximum, not minimum. But it is just as dangerous to sit in a lane designated for overtaking and, thankfully, new powers are being allotted to police to clamp down on this.

Got to say the nom de guerre is somewhat ironic but I agree that there is NEVER a need to "tailgate". Speed limits are maximum, not minimum. But it is just as dangerous to sit in a lane designated for overtaking and, thankfully, new powers being allotted to police to clamp down on this.

Hate tailgaters. I was doing 120 mph and some pr#ck with flashing blue lights was tailgating me scaring me into going faster to try and lose him.:-P

Sent from my C6603 using Black & White Army mobile app

Edited by BIG BEN

I drive up and down the M8 and over the erskine bridge to work and back and there's always people right up your arse even if your are going 70 in the outside lane to overtake. Think it's unfair to blame young drivers though, there are bad drivers of all ages and on average young people aren't any worse than others.

I drive up and down the M8 and over the erskine bridge to work and back and there's always people right up your arse even if your are going 70 in the outside lane to overtake. Think it's unfair to blame young drivers though, there are bad drivers of all ages and on average young people aren't any worse than others.

There are many decent young drivers and bad drivers amongst all ages.

However if you go by statistics it can't be argued that a higher number of young drivers are bad compared to the rest. The are far more likely to be in a fatal crash (think it is over twice as likely). It's the reason insurance is sky high when you are young and it comes from inexperience, often like to go too fast and over-confidence. This 3 things are pretty much what was shown in the incident with Lochwinnoch Saints wife.

Another concerning stat which I don't think the media has made too much of is that the percentage failing a breath test to overall breath tests taken is very high for 20-24- think it is 5.5% failure rate whereas the average is 3.4%.

I was tailgated 23 times today alone whilst driving at 50mph on a single carriageway. On all occasions I had to slow down to 35mph to protect myself in case I had to brake suddenly and I'm getting royally f**king sick of it. In all cases I was subsequently overtaken on blind bends, with other cars coming and on brows of hills. Absolute f**king lunacy.

There are no good drivers out there.

We are all guilty of driving badly from time to time.

Between switching off, driving too fast for the conditions, tailgaiting, an inability to properly join a motorway etc etc etc. the list is endless.

This has nothing to do with kids showing off, adults acting like tits or pensioners driving at 14mph.

The root cause of all of this carnage is the unwillingness of people to do the following:-

1) To understand that other road users are human beings like them who have the same right to arrive at work in one piece or return home to their families safely at night.

2) To understand that all drivers have significant flaws in their driving.

3) To understand your car is not a weapon to be used to "intimidate" people or punish those who are intimidating you.

I'm not sure what it will take before people get the big picture here that many many thousands of people each year fail to make it home to their families in one piece because of the negligence of another human being.

I don't have the numbers but the total killed and injured each year is the equivalent or wiping out an entire small town every year.

That is a shocking state of affairs and we are all guilty of being part of the problem - most of us just get lucky and get away without hurting others.