Spfl New Branding

pozbaird

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=25188

A shiny new logo, division names nicked from England, a grinning Neil Doncaster brandishing a big cardboard SPFL logo. I haven't felt this excited since the birth of baby Cambridge.

Oh, hold on... it's the same old shite, and will be dominated by a club in the East End of Glasgow, until their bosom buddies come back to join them, once more re-forming the gruesome twosome two-club cartel. So, how are we getting on with smashing that 11-1 vote and seeing real change Mr Gilmour? Not having a personal dig, just going on what I heard across a boardroom table from the chairman and other directors when we were being fed the unpalatable truth about the Rangers and how we must take it up the backside for them. (Turns out it wasn't the truth really, but let's move on) - the vote and the smashing of the OF stranglehold would be the first thing to be done, smashed, gone forever - Peter Lawell was shitting it.... So we were told.

As I am fond of saying.... whoop-de-fcuking-do. Still, new logo patches on kit sleeves and no doubt a new typeface which will require new-style names and numbers on the backs of shirts too.

Be still my beating heart. The excitement afforded by this bright new dawn might just kill me off.

Edited by pozbaird

And the logo looks suspiciously like the EPL logo too.

Doncaster is making the Scottish league look like the worst possible creepy EPL "groupie".

He'll be asking teams to "twin up" with an EPL team next and change their team names to reflect that.

It's all a bit excrutiatingly desperate and "wanabee" for my liking.

If he's going to prostitute our game he could t least dress for the part - maybe a frilly lacy number.....

I am so underwhelmed at this news, is Scottish football so desperate to copy England ? I just hope they haven't paid some agency a fortune to nick think up these names. There must have been something that the leagues could have been named that would have shown a Scottish identity, even if it was only Gaelic for 1, 2, 3 & 4.

With such imaginative people I now expect the sponsor to be Shuggie Barclay from Auchentoggle just so it can be called Barclay's Premier League.

I might be completely wrong, so apologies in advance - but have we copied all of the following after England?....

Sleeve patches, across-the-league typeface for names and numbers, teams lining up to do the handshakes, Premiership, Championship, League One, League Two....

Is it a cunning plan to make Celtic think they're in the EPL?

Edited by pozbaird

He seems to think that the change in name alone will bring Sky running to us with an open treasure chest.

That's like wrapping a rancid turd in tin foil and hoping it will miraculously turn into a delicious roast chicken.

I wonder what it is he envies from the EPL. Is it the racist players he covets or is he jealous of the crippling debts affecting every single top flight club? Perhaps the lack of top flight home grown players has caught his eye? Or the fact that even Arsenal can't seem to buy a decent striker?

It's embarassing to watch. I'm glad I didn't vote this turkey into office. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror.

Copying England because, financially, it's the most profitable, money-spinning league in the world.

The fact the clubs choose to spunk their cash on over-hyped, overpaid players is completely their choice.

The truth is that England have a hugely successful league because there is a very large population, with football being the number 1 spectator sport by quite some way.

There are teams in League 2 with bigger average crowds than the SPL.

The English Championship is the 5th(?) biggest league in Europe, and teams generally play to around 20,000 a game. Leicester's average home crowd is usually around 24-25,000 for example.

So, it's one thing to try and copy the English set up, but also kinda pointless because there's no real comparison that can be sensibly made.

Premiership, Championship, League 1, League 2

post-1859-0-41039300-1374756552_thumb.jp

Where do these guys think up this unique stuff....they should be getting paid thousands for this ground breaking stuff.

Seriously though if i just rehashed stuff like this for my work I'd be hauled in, told it was lazy unacceptable work and sent off to do a better job.

Am I missing something here, but isn't this just completely wrong?

As far as I was aware, the reason the English came up with those names was because they were actually going their separate ways. The Premiership was so called as it was a new separately run, independant entity and the Championship was so called as it was the top division in the English Football League.

Isn't Scottish football doing the opposite of that. It is reuniting. Therefore there could only really be two choices.

Div 1

Div 2

Div 3

Div 4

or

Premier

Div 2

Div 3

Div 4

Never understood how you could have a Premier Division and a First Division as surely they mean the same thing?

Premiership, Championship, League 1, League 2

attachicon.gifspfl.jpg

Where do these guys think up this unique stuff....they should be getting paid thousands for this ground breaking stuff.

Seriously though if i just rehashed stuff like this for my work I'd be hauled in, told it was lazy unacceptable work and sent off to do a better job.

Neil Doncaster's brief to the design studio would have been dead simple... 'Give us something that looks like the English Premier League. A lion would be good'.

Simples.