Adam Campbell Tonight

GMBB

I'm just back from a weekend in Newcastle. I never saw Adam Campbell anywhere, and I was in Newcastle, Hexham, Corbridge, Slaley and Newton. ... Definitely up in Paisley signing then. Job's a good un'.

Ah, but....!

We're you in the Asdas of the aforementioned?

On the bbc site it says carlise are interested in loaning Campbell

Oh the irony of Guy and Campbell becoming a first choice lethal striking partnership

By all accounts, that would suit Newcastle more, as they could recall him if they wish, and, as it is just down the road (relatively speaking), it might be preferable for the player.

It seems to me the club should be operating on the basis that this deal isn't happening, and shouldn't be expending much more in the way of resources in trying to pursue it. That's not to say it is definitely dead, but it now looks highly unlikely.

It is interesting that we haven't had a sniff of a rumour regarding any other options that the club are considering (cue lovestreet....). This could be a good thing, of course, as it might indicate that they are going about their business in a discreet manner. The alternative possibility isn't really worth contemplating, so I'm going to give the club the benefit of the doubt on this one, if for no other reason than it is less demoralising all round.

Flirting with relegation year after year is getting very tedious. Playing too near the edge of a cliff you will eventually fall down it. One game in and it feels like that already. Like others I'm bored silly with the Campbell scenario. What is more worrying is the apparent lack of movement for other players. These days, however confidential clubs try to keep their affairs, something always gets leaked by someone. Absolutely nothing happening and it just adds to the feeling of inevitability regarding relegation. I generally dont subscribe to over reaction when results don't go our way but we do seem very poorly prepared for the games ahead.

I,m glad Saints are pursuing players with the quality and potential of Campbell ,thing is the better quality of player Saints aim to get , the more competition there is to sign him , and with an average home gate of just over 3,000 , we have our limitations of what we are able to offer players.

We have not had an ideal start to the season , but theres still a couple of weeks to improve the squad , hoping things wil pick up , starting with a win on saturday.

Not liking the negativity about the club , so early season , give the boys chance.

Guest somner9

Flirting with relegation year after year is getting very tedious. Playing too near the edge of a cliff you will eventually fall down it. One game in and it feels like that already. Like others I'm bored silly with the Campbell scenario. What is more worrying is the apparent lack of movement for other players. These days, however confidential clubs try to keep their affairs, something always gets leaked by someone. Absolutely nothing happening and it just adds to the feeling of inevitability regarding relegation. I generally dont subscribe to over reaction when results don't go our way but we do seem very poorly prepared for the games ahead.

Had a PM from you know who saying "negotiations are now at the tickly bit, sit tight it's all bubbling away"

So this week I will mainly be 'Sitting Tight'

Jessefastshow.jpg

I have no idea on the situation with Campbell, or any Plan B we may have. One thing I am convinced of though is this. The St Mirren board must sit down and say 'Right, we've got some feelgood factor going again with the League Cup win. We can't be having that. Anyone any ideas on how we can put a stop to that nonsense? Hmm. Lose lots of players and only bring a handful in. Dispense with experienced keepers. Stick Thompson up front on his lonesome. Lose to the unwashed. Fanny about with trialists. Have loanee negotiations drag on. Get pumped at Inverness... I like it. That'll put a stop to that feelgood pish.'

OK, I know our board really don't do that, but it sure as hell feels like they do.

Not liking the negativity about the club , so early season , give the boys chance.

That's a fair point, but is it really surprising?

I was very confident that we'd be pretty much sorted in terms of the squad by the time the season kicked off - to the point of being considered a happy-clapping fanboy by some (dearie me, that seems so long ago now). Even the most optimistic supporter must, in his/her heart of hearts, know that we are going to struggle unless we strengthen up front.

If the club want enthusiasim and bums on seats, they'll need to chuck us a bone soon.

ETA: the interview linked above provides some encouragement. Fingers crossed and all that.... it is nice to hear that Campbell is keen to come up, and just a shame that his club want to have their cake and eat itwhistling.gif

Edited by Drew

More genuine class from Danny.

Seriously he deserves far more respect than many people are giving him.

Fans knicker wetting over an untried 18 year old they've never seen is frankly embarassing.

Can't imagine what this place will be like if we get beyond transfer day without signing anyone else.

This whole episode from our fans has been nothing short of shameful, pathetic and embarassing as f**k.

Edited by oaksoft

More genuine class from Danny.

Seriously he deserves far more respect than many people are giving him.

Fans knicker wetting over an untried 18 year old they've never seen is frankly embarassing.

Can't imagine what this place will be like if we get beyond transfer day without signing anyone else.

This whole episode from our fans has been nothing short of shameful, pathetic and embarassing as f**k.

You talked about your own misplaced optimism (or something to that effect) just last week in terms of the squad being further strengthened.

I think you need to distinguish between general knicker-wetting and warranted concern regarding the blatantly obvious defecits we currently have up front. Most relatively sane folk on here have all but written off the Campbell saga, and were/are more concerned about whether alternative avenues are being explored. I don't think there is anything remotely shameful, pathetic, or embarrassing about that. It is merely supporters hoping that their team will progress in a positive direction.

The article in the ET is, as far as I'm aware, the first interview with the manager in which he clarifies the situation regarding his hunt for a striker over and above (or as an alternative to) Campbell. This should provide much needed reassurance.

Edited by Drew

It seems to me that if Newcastle don't sign another striker we won't get Campbell. If they do then we probably will. Glad to hear that we have other irons in the fire, because we can't wait around indefinately for Newcastle to decide, unless we are able to bring in Campbell and someone else (unlikely though).

I agree with some that the clamour for us to sign a youth player to go straight into our first team is bordering on embarassing, but some of that may be because there has been little speculation on us bringing anyone else in, therefore some of us are getting a bit desparate.

The way I see it, I would like to see what Campbell could do, based on what is being said about his talent, but I certainly won't be panicking if we don't get him.

We do definately need another striker and I'm sure we will sign one before the window, but until then, we do have options. Harkins, McGowan and Reilly can all play off Thompson. There is no need to panic, certainly not after one league game.

We will see what you are saying then as well.

I can guarantee I'll be saying the same thing as I am now and that is the following:-

Whatever will be will be.

Danny is the one with his head on the block.

He'll be judged against his decisions but only once the consequences of his decisions have been allowed to become clear.

If that means relegation then that's what it'll mean. It's why we hire managers and then delegate responsibilty for our clubs immediate future on the pitch to them.

IMO no manager should be sacked other than during the summer regardless of the performance of the team unless there is gross misconduct.

Me or any fan pissing themselves with worry will make no positive difference to anything.

Relegation is relegation. It's not life or death. It's happened before, it'll happen again almost certainly. Maybe this year maybe not.

The premise here is very simple. I want to enjoy watching football.

It's not enjoyable if I treat every match as a stressfest.

To make this even clearer. I'd rather stop going than get myself into the state some people are doing after just one match.

In fairness I've been posting along these lines for years.

I can guarantee I'll be saying the same thing as I am now and that is the following:-

Whatever will be will be.

Danny is the one with his head on the block.

He'll be judged against his decisions but only once the consequences of his decisions have been allowed to become clear.

If that means relegation then that's what it'll mean. It's why we hire managers and then delegate responsibilty for our clubs immediate future on the pitch to them.

IMO no manager should be sacked other than during the summer regardless of the performance of the team unless there is gross misconduct.

Me or any fan pissing themselves with worry will make no positive difference to anything.

Relegation is relegation. It's not life or death. It's happened before, it'll happen again almost certainly. Maybe this year maybe not.

The premise here is very simple. I want to enjoy watching football.

It's not enjoyable if I treat every match as a stressfest.

To make this even clearer. I'd rather stop going than get myself into the state some people are doing after just one match.

In fairness I've been posting along these lines for years.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

You talked about your own misplaced optimism (or something to that effect) just last week in terms of the squad being further strengthened.

I think you need to distinguish between general knicker-wetting and warranted concern regarding the blatantly obvious defecits we currently have up front. Most relatively sane folk on here have all but written off the Campbell saga, and were/are more concerned about whether alternative avenues are being explored. I don't think there is anything remotely shameful, pathetic, or embarrassing about that. It is merely supporters hoping that their team will progress in a positive direction.

The article in the ET is, as far as I'm aware, the first interview with the manager in which he clarifies the situation regarding his hunt for a striker over and above (or as an alternative to) Campbell. This should provide much needed reassurance.

Concerned?

Yes I'm concerned but it's not eating away at me because I understand how football works and have learned to have patience.

Football is not life or death to me. Never has been and never will be. It's my hobby and will be forced to remain as such.

Life is too short.

You know the posts I'm responding to over this.

I'm asking the knicker wetters why they just can't seem to wait until the transfer window shuts before asking whether we are deliberately trying to get relegated for example?

BTW that whole misplaced optimism series of posts was tongue in cheek.

I'm not really too fussed about how things are going yet.

Happy to leave everything to Danny.

Nothing I can do about it anyway if his decisions lead to relegation.

Got to trust your manager.

It's the board's responsibility to fret about the consequencies.

ETA: Don't get the impression I don't care about results. I do. The 3-0 was a sickener but within 3 minutes of the full time whistle, my hobby ended and i was back to real life. If that ever changes I'll pack in football permanently.

Edited by oaksoft

Concerned?

Yes I'm concerned but it's not eating away at me because I understand how football works and have learned to have patience.

Football is not life or death to me. Never has been and never will be. It's my hobby and will be forced to remain as such.

Life is too short.

I'm asking the knicker wetters why they just can't seem to wait until the transfer window shuts before asking whether we are deliberately trying to get relegated for example?

^^^^^ Knickers absolutely soaking IMHO. phone.gif

Concerned?

Life is too short.

ETA: Don't get the impression I don't care about results. I do. The 3-0 was a sickener but within 3 minutes of the full time whistle, my hobby ended and i was back to real life. If that ever changes I'll pack in football permanently.

Fair enough.

Like all of us, though, you like to chat about your hobby on here, and it is inevitable that all manner of opinions and knicker-wetting thresholds will feature. Up to a point (whereby it becomes a bit nasty/personal/offensive), I reckon we need to accept that.

For what its worth, I tend not to let myself get too wound up over the football either, but sometimes that's easier said than done.

It seems to me that if Newcastle don't sign another striker we won't get Campbell. If they do then we probably will. Glad to hear that we have other irons in the fire, because we can't wait around indefinately for Newcastle to decide, unless we are able to bring in Campbell and someone else (unlikely though).

I agree with some that the clamour for us to sign a youth player to go straight into our first team is bordering on embarassing, but some of that may be because there has been little speculation on us bringing anyone else in, therefore some of us are getting a bit desparate.

The way I see it, I would like to see what Campbell could do, based on what is being said about his talent, but I certainly won't be panicking if we don't get him.

We do definately need another striker and I'm sure we will sign one before the window, but until then, we do have options. Harkins, McGowan and Reilly can all play off Thompson. There is no need to panic, certainly not after one league game.

TBH I don't think there was ever a chance of Danny doing nothing but sitting around waiting on a teenager to make his mind up whilst around him the team was struggling to score goals.

Danny was always going to be on the lookout for other options. I'd be astonished if he didn't have at least 3-4 plans ordered in terms of his preference.

It's just that we're not being given updates for many good reasons.

This particular update however might settle the natives though.

In Danny's defence, it must be a nightmare to be sitting with a list of targets sorted in order of preference and then be stuck waiting on decisions whilst other clubs plunder his list. Imagine this was your job at stake. As bad as this would be now imagine some of the loudest employees going online and talking about how useless you were and making up false claims that you had no list at all. Wouldn't want to be Danny for any amount of money TBH.

Fair enough.

Like all of us, though, you like to chat about your hobby on here, and it is inevitable that all manner of opinions and knicker-wetting thresholds will feature. Up to a point (whereby it becomes a bit nasty/personal/offensive), I reckon we need to accept that.

For what its worth, I tend not to let myself get too wound up over the football either, but sometimes that's easier said than done.

We probably need some kind of knicker wetting scale to allow us to grade posts. For example:-

1 - Posters of Danny on wall and wardrobe fully stocked with Kleenex.

2 - Ach well at least life is still generally great.

3 - Small dribble. Not enough to show on your trousers but leaving you self conscious when you are taking tea with the vicar.

4 - Using online comparison sites to check nappy prices.

5 - Having to plan trips of greater than 20 minutes duration around known functional public toilets.

6 - Planning trips around non functional public toilets.

7 - Planning trips around toilets which include those standalone ones in the street which you pay 20p to enter.

8 - General lack of remembering about what it's like to have dry trousers.

9 - Shoplifting clothes from charity shops just to get your hands on something dry.

10 - Catheter and matching bag in place (Abercrombie and Fitch of course). Ready to fillet fans of opposing teams, wife, pets and children.

Edited by oaksoft