Adam Campbell Tonight

GMBB

Not impossible Elvis, but, in your opinion, a good possibility that with 6 games gone ( I assume that's what you refer to when you say "5 games of the quarter still to go" that the first 11 games is a quarter).

Well, only if the regular season lasts for 3 and 5/11 quarters. Given a 38 game regular season, a quarter is 9 and a half games, so I guess Elvis is talking about league placings at half time during our 5th game.

The happy clappers are missing the main point here.

If we’d had a decent league campaign last season then I believe that the knicker wetters would be quite patient just now. The ICT result would already been written off and we’d be waiting happily for a couple of final signings.

However, we finished 2nd bottom last season. Only First Division standard Dundee were below us. We were the 10th placed non Old Firm club – our worst top flight finish in 40 years!

Since then we have lost 4 forwards, Goncalves, Guy, Parkin & Imrie who contributed 18 goals between last season plus numerous assists.

We have also failed to strengthen a defence which let in more goals last season than we have in any other season since we returned to the SPL! Indeed, in losing Samson & Dummett we’ve arguably lost our 2 best defensive players!

We’ve also lost Graham Carey who is already off the mark at Ross County with the only new addition being Harkins who was brought in replace McGowan… duh!

And regardless of who we sign, it won’t alter the fact that our tactics are hopeless!

Steven Thompson will become manager of St. Mirren this season. Its just a question of when…

were we the 10th best placed team outside of the old firm ! damn i never knew - why didn't you mention this before

Why is it that instead of simply assuming your default position of slagging off anyone who's opinion differs from yours, you take a step back yourself and try to understand the frustration of a lot of fans?

I know there have been some extreme comments re Lennon and his job prospects but those are the minority IMO. There are a lot of concerned fans, myself included, not happy about the general state of the team and our readiness for the season.

I don't expect to win the league, qualify for Europe or even actually make the top six. What I do feel entitled to though is putting a competitive team on the park and the management team addressing some of the obvious deficiencies we have had in our squad for a good long while now.

No knicker wetting, as you like to call it. Just justifiable concern. I'm not sure why, even when you don't agree with that view, you can't understand it.

What is it that I should understand about the unbelievable level of clucking and squawking after 1 league game which is currently going on amongst a large number of posters?

How can anybody possibly tell how competitive we are going to be at this early stage? Has our support been taking Fortune Telling classes at Reid Kerr?

You talk about your position as though it is somehow reasonable. If you were making these comments in March I'd understand but there's nothing reasonable about most of the comments on this thread and others.

It's not so much that because you disagree with me that I'm having a go.

It's more to do with the fact that we have a team of kids and the comments on this forum are potentially highly damaging for any of the young players reading them.

As a supporter I feel I have a duty to pull up anyone showing such a lack of respect to guys like Reilly.

IMO you are allowing your personal concerns to trump the need for our younger players to feel fully supported as they attempt to nail down a regular first team slot.

Edited by oaksoft

If its October and its not happening then we must act if its march we may be down already

Eh? I can't work out what that means.

If it's October and its not happening then its October, and its less than 12 games in to the season. So, y'know, it can still happen as we have November, December, January, February, march, April and a bit of May.

I believe the squad is short but Danny appears to be trying to address that. I've no idea what's went on over the summer, for all I know 10 different strikers have been approached but for one reason or another its not happened. The press don't care too much about us so I don't expect to hear much about any moves we make.

Starting to think people just want a change of manager for the fun of it and its a little bit interesting to speculate. Plus, we do seem to have a disproportionate amount of dour cunts.

The difference with the teams you mention is that they are above us nine times out of ten we are perenial bottom feeders does not matter who we have in our team its the same every year you tend to forget that.That young hearts team tore us a new ass hole last season they are no where near as bad as you might think .I would bet my last dime they finnish above us this season.no matter who we bring in if im prooved wrong then fantastic but i dont think i will.

I have no idea why you bother watching the game when it clearly pisses you off every week. If you see no light at the end of the tunnel then go and watch the Glasgow vermin as they win more than they lose. We are a small club with a small core of supporters and a small budget and will generally be at the bottom end of the table. In 45 years of watching the team, only the period 1977 to 81 brought an expectation that we could win most games. Since that time we have struggled to remain in the top tier and I see no change. While I am a realist I would never think my team will lose every game like you do. If there was an award for pessimism then you would get the gold each time. FFS try and be positive and remember it is a game of football and not life and death,

You are, of course, quite right that it is too early to fret, but, by the same token, if we had the personnel required in place, we could have been talking about getting off to a flyer. Instead, we are still wondering whether we'll have adequate depth in the squad going into week 3 of the season.

I can't recall being in this position before. Whatever we might have thought of the signings made last pre-season and those that came before, we generally had cover in all the key areas. Granted, it might have been quantity over quality at times, but there is a minimum requirement that I fear we have yet to meet. Debating the calibre of the players generally comes a bit later.

It seems we might have made life a bit more difficult that was necessary, and, as Chris has pointed out, the likelihood is that any players who do come in will take time to gel and reach full match readiness.

I'm not looking to point the finger of blame here, it is what it is.

Totally agree with most of what you say Drew. I, however, will bide my time and wait to see who Danny brings in to bolster the squad. I have no idea why we appear light in several areas but part of that could be down to demands by agents for certain players or perhaps waiting for the right time to bring in certain others. I realise that it is best to have new players bedded down as quickly as possible but they have to be available and willing to come to us for perhaps less wages than they are on. Rooting in the bottom of the barrel for players is something Danny has done in the past and been vilified for it. It is also worth giving some thought to the BOD tightening the budget and his hands are tied? No idea but in an ideal world we would have a few more bodies in the door but there may be genuine reasons for Danny not bringing in the players at the pace perhaps required. I guess we need to wait and see what develops.

What is it that I should understand about the unbelievable level of clucking and squawking after 1 league game which is currently going on amongst a large number of posters?

How can anybody possibly tell how competitive we are going to be at this early stage? Has our support been taking Fortune Telling classes at Reid Kerr?

You talk about your position as though it is somehow reasonable. If you were making these comments in March I'd understand but there's nothing reasonable about most of the comments on this thread and others.

It's more to do with the fact that we have a team of kids and the comments on this forum are potentially highly damaging for any of the young players reading them.

As a supporter I feel I have a duty to pull up anyone showing such a lack of respect to guys like Reilly.

IMO you are allowing your personal concerns to trump the need for our younger players to feel fully supported as they attempt to nail down a regular first team slot.

Heavens, a outbreak of balance and common sense . Could you take your sensible pills to the game and perhaps distribute as many as you can? Many are in need of them

Firstly, a blind man could see how "competitive" we are after a number of disappointing friendlies and one league game. We're woefully short of players having let so many go and not replacing them. That concerns me and is perfectly reasonable. Also, I never mentioned young Reilly but to expect him to establish himself as a starter in the team this year would, in all likelihood, be optimistic given his lack of experience at this level. That's reasonable, not disrespectful.

This has nothing to do with young players and their need for support. This is frustration borne from a poor league showing last year and an undoubtedly weaker team heading into this season when, as others have pointed out, our rivals are pretty much all in better shape than we are.

Firstly, a blind man could see how "competitive" we are after a number of disappointing friendlies and one league game. We're woefully short of players having let so many go and not replacing them. That concerns me and is perfectly reasonable. Also, I never mentioned young Reilly but to expect him to establish himself as a starter in the team this year would, in all likelihood, be optimistic given his lack of experience at this level. That's reasonable, not disrespectful.

This has nothing to do with young players and their need for support. This is frustration borne from a poor league showing last year and an undoubtedly weaker team heading into this season when, as others have pointed out, our rivals are pretty much all in better shape than we are.

Including friendlies is just daft and not worthy of debate TBH. You could just as easily include 5-a-side training matches.

Nobody said YOU had disrespected Reilly but many have done so. Talking about only having one striker and ignoring Reilly as a second is disrespectful. Check the forum for several instances of this.

Undoubtedly weaker team? Undoubted? Personally I have no idea. We've kept the bulk of last years 1st pick 11 and have a group of youngsters to back them up. I've not seen any of these kids playing regularly and I suspect neither have you so TBH we have no idea whether or not we are weaker until we try these guys out.

If we don't play the kids what's the point in having them? You and others aren't even giving them a chance. You're all blowing them out as "undoubtedly weaker" without having seen them in anger. THAT is disrespectful.

Back to reality, we've dumped a lot of dross. I'm genuinely glad players like Imrie, Parkin, Guy and Adam have gone. I want to see how our kids get on replacing them. I'm pretty certain they can't be much worse FFS. As for Samson, Dummet and Goncalves? I'm happy we've replaced two of those and I'm not convinced Goncalves was the star he's been made out to be.

We are probably one experienced player short up front but I would be very happy to see how it goes if we can't find anyone else.

Obviously we need to display patience with the young guys. They'll get that from me. What about you?

Including friendlies is just daft and not worthy of debate TBH. You could just as easily include 5-a-side training matches.

Nobody said YOU had disrespected Reilly but many have done so. Talking about only having one striker and ignoring Reilly as a second is disrespectful. Check the forum for several instances of this.

Undoubtedly weaker team? Undoubted? Personally I have no idea. We've kept the bulk of last years 1st pick 11 and have a group of youngsters to back them up. I've not seen any of these kids playing regularly and I suspect neither have you so TBH we have no idea whether or not we are weaker until we try these guys out.

If we don't play the kids what's the point in having them? You and others aren't even giving them a chance. You're all blowing them out as "undoubtedly weaker" without having seen them in anger. THAT is disrespectful.

Back to reality, we've dumped a lot of dross. I'm genuinely glad players like Imrie, Parkin, Guy and Adam have gone. I want to see how our kids get on replacing them. I'm pretty certain they can't be much worse FFS. As for Samson, Dummet and Goncalves? I'm happy we've replaced two of those and I'm not convinced Goncalves was the star he's been made out to be.

We are probably one experienced player short up front but I would be very happy to see how it goes if we can't find anyone else.

Obviously we need to display patience with the young guys. They'll get that from me. What about you?

I do wish you would drop the patronising attitude you display towards everyone who has a different take on things..Goncalves or the "disrespected" Reilly" Hmmm

thats a hard one bangin.gif

Can I point out - if Campbell was that good a prospect wouldn't he have played tonight for the under 21s? Saying that it would be good to get him on board. Still in desperate need of cover such as Lewis guy... Wish Danny would've kept him and Carey, Carey being a cheaper version of new signing grainger and guy - not the most prolific but always gave 100% for the team. Danny has done horrific business in the transfer market this year and unless he pulls at least three signings out the bag I really fear the worst

Can I point out - if Campbell was that good a prospect wouldn't he have played tonight for the under 21s? Saying that it would be good to get him on board. Still in desperate need of cover such as Lewis guy... Wish Danny would've kept him and Carey, Carey being a cheaper version of new signing grainger and guy - not the most prolific but always gave 100% for the team. Danny has done horrific business in the transfer market this year and unless he pulls at least three signings out the bag I really fear the worst

Campbell has been afforded legendary status because we are all so desperate,and who can blame us !!!! Hes probably pish,he must be if we are still in the running

I have no idea why you bother watching the game when it clearly pisses you off every week. If you see no light at the end of the tunnel then go and watch the Glasgow vermin as they win more than they lose. We are a small club with a small core of supporters and a small budget and will generally be at the bottom end of the table. In 45 years of watching the team, only the period 1977 to 81 brought an expectation that we could win most games. Since that time we have struggled to remain in the top tier and I see no change. While I am a realist I would never think my team will lose every game like you do. If there was an award for pessimism then you would get the gold each time. FFS try and be positive and remember it is a game of football and not life and death,

So i should be positive for positives sake dont be so stupid .Im not going to be a happy clapper like some on here just to apeese people like you when i can clearly see theres nothing to be happy about with our team RIGHT NOW maybe you should go and support the green vermin as you seem to think we shouldnt be compeating with the likes of St JOHNSTONE . CALY. ROSS COUNTY .KILMARNOCK .AND MOTHERWELL.

You may think it's "daft" to include friendlies but a lot of us could see the writing on the wall after the Morton, QOS and Newcastle games with line ups and tactics both called into question. Inverness was the nadir of that run of games.

We're weaker because Reilly is no Goncalves, even if you decide to ignore the latter's obvious skill. We've got no experienced striker to partner Thommo, no naturally left sided midfielder and right back continues to be an issue.

You're "happy to see how it goes" if we don't sign another striker? You must be the only one because that will be a recipe for potential disaster and may ultimately cost Lennon his job and us our top league status.

Finally, I've been travelling all over this country watching my team for over 3 decades and I've seen us play kids when that was all we had. They've always had my support and that of the overwhelming majority around me. This isn't about supporting our kids and it's disingenuous of you to make it into that. The issue here IMO is that the management or BOD have not done enough to strengthen the team ahead of the new season.

Campbell is nowhere near England U21s level and if he was then we wouldn't get a sniff at him, just look at the score last night against Scotlands best young players. They have guys like Sterling and Shelvey who are on 20-30 grand a week, our young guys will get that in a year.

Feel a bit sorry for Thomas Reilly in all this, the guy seems to be a natural goalscorer and has coped fairly well making the (big) jump from U20s to SPL level. Yes we need at least 1 more striker in but give the kid a chance.

Campbell is nowhere near England U21s level and if he was then we wouldn't get a sniff at him, just look at the score last night against Scotlands best young players. They have guys like Sterling and Shelvey who are on 20-30 grand a week, our young guys will get that in a year.

Feel a bit sorry for Thomas Reilly in all this, the guy seems to be a natural goalscorer and has coped fairly well making the (big) jump from U20s to SPL level. Yes we need at least 1 more striker in but give the kid a chance.

Reilly is more of a midfielder in my opinion but yeah he does need a chance but we also need another striker

Indeed. If Campbell was England U21 standard at the age of 18 then he would be way out of our league.

He'd most likely already be in the Newcastle first team squad if he was that good.