Thomas Reilly

This lad has a big future I think always thought he made a positive impact when he came on last season and to see him start tonight and perform really well against a very strong side and a French international right back

I personally have no issues with him starting as our left winger this season think he should same fantastic touches tonight and real composure for someone so young.

I think the ralston training base is already started to produce our own 1st team players.

Ps John McGinn was absolutely immense tonight again against top calibre of player he did not look out of his depth at all and wouldn't surprise me at all if pardew told his coaching team to keep an eye on his progression.

I have to say it crossed my mind that the Newcastle staff couldn't have helped being impressed with Reilly tonight. Not just with the performance he put in, but with his confidence and composure. He was assured enough to take on these top class players. He really didn't look out of his depth, and that's after just a handful of appearances for the first team. Had high hopes for him last season and he was very unlucky with his injury. Could be a very important player for us this time around.

What did we buy harkins for if he won't play left?

To replace gowser - and then he stayed. Means we have Harkins, McGinn, Mclean and Robertson fighting for one starting spot so probably see Harkins up front and Mclean on the left (when fit).

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Black & White Army mobile app

I quite liked having McGowan playing deep last night - obviously he didnt get the time on the ball that he was used to against the usual calibre but you know that he would have been learning while he was playing and wont be making the same mistakes again.

That said, having Newton back would be a fantastic boost to the team for the season ahead!

I Agee we need a few strikers but as a fan a was so proud to see 2 players from our youth team competing and holding there own against a good prem team

That was exactly what we were saying during the game! We just felt so proud of them... and equally so watching Dummett knowing our club helped to mould him into the superb talent he is now!

My starting XI for Saturday would be Cornelle, VZ ( RB ), Grainger ( LB ) Goodwin & McAusland ( CB's ) McGowan ( Holding Mid ) Teale ( RM ), McGinn ( LM ), Harkins ( CM ) Tommo & Riley ( CF's ) but DL will probably sacrifice Riley for Robertson or Dillon because it is imperative we go up there and not get beat and you never know we might just sneak 1. That might sound negative considering we should be p!shing all over ICT but our pre-season has hardly been the best.

My starting XI for Saturday would be Cornelle, VZ ( RB ), Grainger ( LB ) Goodwin & McAusland ( CB's ) McGowan ( Holding Mid ) Teale ( RM ), McGinn ( LM ), Harkins ( CM ) Tommo & Riley ( CF's ) but DL will probably sacrifice Riley for Robertson or Dillon because it is imperpative we go up there and not get beat and you never know we might just sneak 1. That might sound negative considering we should be p!shing all over ICT but our pre-season has hardly been the best.

Why should we be pishing all over ICT?

Have to say I was sceptical that we kept Reilly over McShane after the later seemed to do so well on his loan spell at Hamilton and I think it will be this season that will tell if it was the right decision. Both were out for the vast majority of last season but McShane has shown he can score goals. I think left wing is going to be problem area for this season as we try to get the right mix of players that can slot into either ST, LM or CM. Time will tell but agreed Reilly has had a good pre season.

Have to say I was sceptical that we kept Reilly over McShane after the later seemed to do so well on his loan spell at Hamilton and I think it will be this season that will tell if it was the right decision. Both were out for the vast majority of last season but McShane has shown he can score goals. I think left wing is going to be problem area for this season as we try to get the right mix of players that can slot into either ST, LM or CM. Time will tell but agreed Reilly has had a good pre season.

Maybe McShane was injured last season but he only got 4 starts for Accies and scored 1 goal.

I'd like to see Reilly used more like a Lavety to Thommo's Yardley. Thommo looks to be a bit slow for leading the line on his own. I'd have Harkins playing in the space behind them with a three man midfield behind him. To be fair, all the youngsters that came on looked good and gave the team a bit of a spark.

Edited by Desnold

Maybe McShane was injured last season but he only got 4 starts for Accies and scored 1 goal.

Reilly's season wasn't a great deal better thats why I'm reserving judgement on that decision to this season. If McShane bangs in the goals this season then I'll be disppointed we let him go.

This lad has a big future I think always thought he made a positive impact when he came on last season and to see him start tonight and perform really well against a very strong side and a French international right back

I personally have no issues with him starting as our left winger this season think he should same fantastic touches tonight and real composure for someone so young.

I think the ralston training base is already started to produce our own 1st team players.

Ps John McGinn was absolutely immense tonight again against top calibre of player he did not look out of his depth at all and wouldn't surprise me at all if pardew told his coaching team to keep an eye on his progression.

I think Thomas and John have now had first hand experience of exactly how far they have to go in the game and what is possible. I personally hope this makes them re-double their efforts. It's exactly the sort of "dropping them in at the deep end" thing we should be doing with younger players.

Hope this keeps their feet on the ground and keeps them working hard.

They are both certainly have potential and it will be interesting to see how far they get in the game.

Neither of these kids were "immense" last night and both players know it. Using phrases like this will not help them.

The above isn't meant to be negative. It's an attempt to be constructive.They are good players at SPL level but last night should have made them say to themselves "Oh crap!".

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

The only thing about Reilly is that he seems to be one of these players who always gets hurt.

I don't mean he's injury prone (well maybe in around about way I am) or a bit clumsy (which I feel Barron is a bit of, which is why he gets injured a lot), but even during last nights game, he got stood on by debuchy, got hit with the ball whilst on the ground and got a sore one in the nuts from collocini!

That on top of playing with strapping on his wrist after falling awkwardly against qos and being out injured last season.

May have something to do with him getting stuck in (which he likes to do) but not having the bulk to match it.

Edited by steve_the_saint

To replace gowser - and then he stayed. Means we have Harkins, McGinn, Mclean and Robertson fighting for one starting spot so probably see Harkins up front and Mclean left on the bench (every week).

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Black & White Army mobile app

Fixed it for you