Off The Ball: Smfc Homophobia Controversy

And what about if they do want to tell people and come out in public, but feel they can't because of the macho culture built up around football? Should that not be seen as a problem?

That's quite hypothetical isn't it? I'm sure most people have no interest in telling the public their sexual preferences. Do single players ever come out as straight? No they don't, so why should gay players do it? The public does not have a right to anyones personal business, football players or not.

As for this particular issue. This guy has lied and has been caught out. No one ever remembers him at St Mirren and he can't remember the coach who said to leave because he was gay? Likely story. Bizarre lie.

That's quite hypothetical isn't it? I'm sure most people have no interest in telling the public their sexual preferences. Do single players ever come out as straight? No they don't, so why should gay players do it? The public does not have a right to anyones personal business, football players or not.

Hypothetical? Are you taking the piss? I'm sorry but this is the sort of casual ignorance which is at the root of the problem.

It betrays a complete misunderstanding of what life must be like for a homosexual.

It beggars belief that an intelligent person can't understand the problems faced by a young footballer either voluntarily declaring his homosexuality or having that discovered about him.

It would be back and front page news.

You can only imagine what sort of reception he'd get from opposition fans.

Ask Justin Fashanu's family.

Surely you understand the pressure this must put on a player?

Edited by oaksoft

I don't play professional football so it's not going to be any great problem for me. What problems do you foresee anyway?

And don't forget, even though no problem currently exists, this will be turned around and entirely focussed on "fans behaviour". Football fans just can't be trusted you know.

Seriously is this "World Ostrich" day?

No, a huge minority of football fans cannot be trusted.

A generation of probably (statistically) hundreds of young homosexual male footballers absolutely petrified that their sexuality will be discovered and their career will end as a direct result.

I see a problem with any group of people deeply unhappy in their lives for absolutely no good cause just because we have a pack of animals on the terraces who would go out of their way to make the footballers life absolute hell on earth if knowledge of their homosexuality became widespread.

I see that as an enormous problem for those involved and they have my full sympathy for their situation.

What I don't do is FORESEE that problem.

It's hard to forsee something which is happening NOW right in front of our faces.

Edited by oaksoft

Have you ever been a coach at SMP? We could have found the guilty party!

Seriously is this "World Ostrich" day?

No, a huge minority of football fans cannot be trusted.

A generation of probably (statistically) hundreds of young homosexual male footballers absolutely petrified that their sexuality will be discovered and their career will end as a direct result.

I see a problem with any group of people deeply unhappy in their lives for absolutely no good cause just because we have a pack of animals on the terraces who would go out of their way to make the footballers life absolute hell on earth if knowledge of their homosexuality became widespread.

I see that as an enormous problem for those involved and they have my full sympathy for their situation.

What I don't do is FORESEE that problem.

It's hard to forsee something which is happening NOW right in front of our faces.

I see you are a water bearer for the loony left. Congratulations.

And it's good to see that you think football fans can't be trusted to behave well either.

You are a horrible authoritarian leftard.

Stupid and potentially damaging allegations in this currently overly PC climate from a clearly troubled young man. Not surprising to see the BBC push this agenda, 5Live had a whole hours worth of chat about the gaiety and some now retired footballer who had "come out" and how the whole football world is full of closet homosexuals who are too afraid to own up to their sexual preference because football is too macho and lad like. So its fairly clear that "common purpose" are now attempting to sprinkle some of their left wing fairy dust in the Scottish bit of the game too. Its f**king pathetic, but it's how these cultural Marxists roll. Look for a story, blow it up outof all proportion and shove an agenda that nobody gives an actual f**k about down everyones throat and get us all hysterically examining each other behaviour and attitude.

Good to see it backfiring in this particular instance although a bit of a pisser that our club was plucked out of the hat to be the aunt sally figure for the BBC and the ultra PC and horrible leftard Cosgrove to have a pop at.

f**king cunts.

spoken like a true tory.

Guest somner9

Stupid and potentially damaging allegations in this currently overly PC climate from a clearly troubled young man. Not surprising to see the BBC push this agenda, 5Live had a whole hours worth of chat about the gaiety and some now retired footballer who had "come out" and how the whole football world is full of closet homosexuals who are too afraid to own up to their sexual preference because football is too macho and lad like. So its fairly clear that "common purpose" are now attempting to sprinkle some of their left wing fairy dust in the Scottish bit of the game too. Its f**king pathetic, but it's how these cultural Marxists roll. Look for a story, blow it up outof all proportion and shove an agenda that nobody gives an actual f**k about down everyones throat and get us all hysterically examining each other behaviour and attitude.

Good to see it backfiring in this particular instance although a bit of a pisser that our club was plucked out of the hat to be the aunt sally figure for the BBC and the ultra PC and horrible leftard Cosgrove to have a pop at.

f**king cunts.

Why does your quote remind me of this..?

http://youtu.be/MGte64wLYJ8

Would a player coming out as gay today be a huge problem or issue? I could see it in the 1990s, but today I wouldn't think there would be many in clubs or on the terraces that would see it an an 'issue'.

Personally if some player was gay I couldn't care less and I doubt many fans would make it an issue. Plus with the focus on inappropriate singing/racism these days anybody giving a gay player grief due to his sexual orientation is likely to be shouted down, prosecuted or vilified in the press- most likely all 3.

Would a player coming out as gay today be a huge problem or issue? I could see it in the 1990s, but today I wouldn't think there would be many in clubs or on the terraces that would see it an an 'issue'.

Personally if some player was gay I couldn't care less and I doubt many fans would make it an issue. Plus with the focus on inappropriate singing/racism these days anybody giving a gay player grief due to his sexual orientation is likely to be shouted down, prosecuted or vilified in the press- most likely all 3.

The problem is the fear. If I was a gay and very high profile footballer the risk of being discovered with the consequent publicity would keep me awake at night.

Whilst you might be right about more accepting attitudes now the risk is huge for these players. If it backfired it would be the end of their career.

You've really got to put yourself in their shoes to understand why this is still a major problem.

Tell you what though, the major star who actually comes out with this will be applauded by the majority of people who aren't knuckle dragging scum and will be remembered forever.

Tell you what though, the major star who actually comes out with this will be applauded by the majority of people who aren't knuckle dragging scum and will be remembered forever.

The depressing thing is that I doubt if it would make any difference if a major star did come out. Gareth Thomas coming out made none in rugby, no-one else (that I can think of, anyway, correct me if I'm wrong) followed him.

Cue the neanderthals you were talking about "rugby's a poof's game", etc, etc.

I listened to the episode of Off the Ball in question.

The "former-trainer-turned-stand-up-comic" that nobody had ever heard of made his claim, and Cowan immediately asked if this was just and allegation or if there had been lawyers. The guest responded by saying it was a matter of fact that he'd been sat down by the club and fired because his "problem" was "inappropriate".

Seems like a far cry from either the version of events as described by the club, or the subsequent account by the attention seeking no-mark when he had been called out on the matter.

Like most people, I would welcome an end to homophobia, racism and any other form of bigotry in both football and in society, but idiots like this do nothing to bring this closer to reality. This man just lied for attention as he is trying to make a name for himself as an actor/writer/comedian/pundit/anything at all as long as people notice him.

I listened to the episode of Off the Ball in question.

The "former-trainer-turned-stand-up-comic" that nobody had ever heard of made his claim, and Cowan immediately asked if this was just and allegation or if there had been lawyers. The guest responded by saying it was a matter of fact that he'd been sat down by the club and fired because his "problem" was "inappropriate".

Seems like a far cry from either the version of events as described by the club, or the subsequent account by the attention seeking no-mark when he had been called out on the matter.

Like most people, I would welcome an end to homophobia, racism and any other form of bigotry in both football and in society, but idiots like this do nothing to bring this closer to reality. This man just lied for attention as he is trying to make a name for himself as an actor/writer/comedian/pundit/anything at all as long as people notice him.

Is it possible for an 'entity' to sue for defamation? If so, SMFC should sue this guy for publicly tarnishing their good name.

Edited by saint in exile

I listened live to that off the ball show and just assumed .....well they were different times. Now It's shown he lied.. he is just a fcuk wit.... Gay or not he has lost any credibility I would have afforded him.....Gay or straight he is a scumbag putting down my club..... just.a fcuk wit really.

What was he on the show for exactly?

As a tool of the cultural Marxists in their attempt to besmirch the good name of SMFC? They took it too far when they enrolled The Sun in their conspiracy, though.....

Edited for predictive text. Again.

Edited by salmonbuddie

As a tool of the cultural Marxists in their attempt to besmirch the good name of SMFC? They took it too far when they enrolled The Sun in their conspiracy, though.....

Edited for predictive text. Again.

I said in my original post n the subject that our club just happened to be in the way.

The BBC has an agenda at the moment to push this gays in football thing and its the fans they are blaming for the failure of top players to admit they are fans of musicals. That and of course the macho dressing room culture in professional football, so in actual fact, its just basically everything in footballs fault that some gays don't want to come prancing out to tell everyone that they are gays. Yaaaawwnnn. Arent we all really terrible people for making these poor innocent gays not come out in the world of football? I'm sure so many of us in here REALLY care about this deeply.

Anyway, I was asking why this chap turned up on off the ball? What was he promoting? His stand up career, his story about being sacked? What?

I don't get the argument that the only way to fight this supposed homophobia in football is for gay footballers all to come out and announce to the press, their team mates and to everyone else that they are gay. Surely you only get true tolerance when players are allowed to continue their sex lives - assuming they are lawful - in private, without the glare of the media.

I don't get the argument that the only way to fight this supposed homophobia in football is for gay footballers all to come out and announce to the press, their team mates and to everyone else that they are gay. Surely you only get true tolerance when players are allowed to continue their sex lives - assuming they are lawful - in private, without the glare of the media.

Maybe...But some guy I've never heard of coming on a national radio show and claiming my club sacked him because he was gay and then climbing down when challenged is a poor show gay or not. Change of name sounds weird....Who the fcuk changes their name and why?

I'd be quite happy not knowing the sexual preferences of random footballers.

I'm far more intolerant of the ridiculous sums of money they earn for being mediocre sportsmen than anything they get up to in their spare time.

Was it not just his surname that he changed? If so, it could be for career reasons or it could be because of a Civil Partnership. Or maybe he has several aliases thumbup2.gif.

Of the 3 reasons....Civil partnership is the one I could respect and understand.......The other2 are far out man!.......If you read the St Mirren response to his allegations The fact the club HIGHLIGHT this fact suggests it was NOT for a civil partnership!.......Straight or gay this guy sounds a weirdo.