The Leicester City Thread

Leicester Saint

As an exiled Buddie living in Leicester for some years now, it never gets any easier following St.Mirren from afar.

Think how you feel when you're on holiday and you're trying to find out the Saints score, relying on Sky TV, phone calls home, or texts from family & friends. Well, that's me every week!

Apart from that, I just miss the atmosphere of being at a game, and I look forward to the few games I do get to, or seeing us live on TV whenever we're on.

To try to still get some kind of football fix, I started following Leicester City, my local team obviously, and while never a replacement, is still really enjoyable.

I go to see them often, even been to a few away games, and got quite into it. Once I got over the fact they play in blue, it was fine. It's only a colour...

All my family & friends have been to matches too and it's usually a pretty bloody amazing atmosphere!

So, I thought I might write about my football experiences, following Leicester City, looking for news on St.Mirren and hoping for wins for both.

Updates on City's games, life in the Championship, my thoughts on what's happening in Paisley at the same time, that kind of thing. I'll see how it feels and write what might be interesting. Maybe at the end of the season I'll write a book, who knows!?

If you're not interested in it, that's fine, you don't have to read it! But I thought it might be interesting to let people hear about the life of a distant Buddie trying to get through the season with his adopted team, but as a still very committed St.Mirren fan. If nothing else, it might be quite cathartic for me to do it!! (Thanks Thommo...)

Any other exiles will, I'm sure, empathise!!

So, first game(s) this weekend. Saints are at ICT, Leicester away to Middlesbrough. A point for both wouldn't be a disaster. Reckon it'll be Soccer Saturday for me, and bitten fingernails!

Come on ye Saints, and Come on you Foxes!

I lived in Leicester for a while during the 80s and did the same as you. When I first arrived there, Jock Wallace was the manager and, other than Gary Lineker, the team was mostly Scottish - Jim Melrose, Alan Young, Kevin McDonald, Ian Wilson and later, Ally Mauchlin and Gary McAllister. I still follow their results quite closely. I'm a big fan of Pearson, but like Danny Lennon, this is the season that will make or break him.

I've moved around quite a bit and almost always end up supporting the local team(s). The only exception was when I lived in London. I tried to get to like Charlton but it never really worked for me. Particularly when they played Leicester.

So now, on a particular October weekend, I might be looking out for St Mirren, Leicester City, Leicester Tigers, Gillingham, Ebbsfleet Utd and the Seattle Seahawks. They never all win. But then they rarely all lose either. Keeps me grounded. St Mirren are still my first love though. If Saints win and the others lose I'm ok. If the others win and we lose then I'm miserable for 24 hours.

I lived in Leicester for a while during the 80s and did the same as you. When I first arrived there, Jock Wallace was the manager and, other than Gary Lineker, the team was mostly Scottish - Jim Melrose, Alan Young, Kevin McDonald, Ian Wilson and later, Ally Mauchlin and Gary McAllister. I still follow their results quite closely. I'm a big fan of Pearson, but like Danny Lennon, this is the season that will make or break him.

I've moved around quite a bit and almost always end up supporting the local team(s). The only exception was when I lived in London. I tried to get to like Charlton but it never really worked for me. Particularly when they played Leicester.

So now, on a particular October weekend, I might be looking out for St Mirren, Leicester City, Leicester Tigers, Gillingham, Ebbsfleet Utd and the Seattle Seahawks. They never all win. But then they rarely all lose either. Keeps me grounded. St Mirren are still my first love though. If Saints win and the others lose I'm ok. If the others win and we lose then I'm miserable for 24 hours.

Reminds me of a story about one of my past apprentices. The lads name was Kenny, (forget the surname), and he went down for a trial at the tender age of sixteen. the first question big Jock asked was, "Whit school did you go tae"? The lad replied, "Saint (something or other)".

Wallace said to the boy, "Ach. Don't worry. We'll soon knoak that oot o ye"!

The lad didn't last too long under his stewardship!

Reminds me of a story about one of my past apprentices. The lads name was Kenny, (forget the surname), and he went down for a trial at the tender age of sixteen. the first question big Jock asked was, "Whit school did you go tae"? The lad replied, "Saint (something or other)".

Wallace said to the boy, "Ach. Don't worry. We'll soon knoak that oot o ye"!

The lad didn't last too long under his stewardship!

Kenny Montgomery i think

From Glenburn?

Sums up a lot of the stuff I go through!!

It's funny, the amount of Scottish connections at City, always has been. The Radio Leicester co-commentator for games is still Alan Young.

My best mate at work's dad played for City in the 70s and his best pal in the team was Frank McLintock. He always laughs about how his best pal's ended up being a Jock too!

Well, you can look forward to some updates of some kind throughout the season. Might be a bit off the wall at times, but that probably makes it better!

Like you Leicester saint being an exciled saints fans had both its joys and challenges eg when we were in the first division pre Internet access! I adopted tranmere and since the late 80's enjoyed a healthy rivalry with the foxes!

I was at filbert street in the early 90's when Leicester drew with us 0-0 to gain automatic promotion / play offs - my memory escapes me - was also at wembley in 2001 for the league cup final - was a great day out snd I ended up in the Hilton hotel after the match with the tranmere team - I have an affinity for Leicester even if now I have no links with the place - anytime you want to post pished drunken ramblings about your adopted team - do it!!!!

Like you Leicester saint being an exciled saints fans had both its joys and challenges eg when we were in the first division pre Internet access! I adopted tranmere and since the late 80's enjoyed a healthy rivalry with the foxes!

I was at filbert street in the early 90's when Leicester drew with us 0-0 to gain automatic promotion / play offs - my memory escapes me - was also at wembley in 2001 for the league cup final - was a great day out snd I ended up in the Hilton hotel after the match with the tranmere team - I have an affinity for Leicester even if now I have no links with the place - anytime you want to post pished drunken ramblings about your adopted team - do it!!!!

Well, I haven't posted a pished drunken rambling yet!! That original post was a sober, thought out message, and something I'm quite keen to do. I'll see how it goes throughout the season. Won't all be LCFC stuff, it'll be as much about finding out info on the Buds while in exile.

Tranmere, eh? Unlucky last season. Fell away when the pressure cranked up by the looks of it. You'll be hoping for better this season.

Hard to tell with Leicester. They COULD win the league. On the other hand, if we're not top 6 by mid-October I reckon Pearson will be looking for new employment. These Thai owners won't have the patience for it.

Well, I haven't posted a pished drunken rambling yet!! That original post was a sober, thought out message, and something I'm quite keen to do. I'll see how it goes throughout the season. Won't all be LCFC stuff, it'll be as much about finding out info on the Buds while in exile.

Tranmere, eh? Unlucky last season. Fell away when the pressure cranked up by the looks of it. You'll be hoping for better this season.

Hard to tell with Leicester. They COULD win the league. On the other hand, if we're not top 6 by mid-October I reckon Pearson will be looking for new employment. These Thai owners won't have the patience for it.

Who are the thai owners?

Stolen from Wikipedia.

In August 2010, following agreement on a three-year shirt sponsorship deal with duty free retailers the King Power Group, Mandarić sold the club to a Thai-led consortium named Asian Football Investments (AFI) fronted by King Power Group's Vichai Raksriaksorn.

So, half time and it's

Leicester 0-1 Middlesbrough

Inverness 0-0 St.Mirren

45mins of the season gone and I haven't even got a single goal between my 2 teams.

It's funny how the excitement and anticipation of the new season can start to feel strangely familiar and pish.

And now the thunderstorm going in outside my front window has knocked my Sky signal out. Fuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great second half performance by Leicester, by all accounts.

1-0 down at half time, 2 goals in 7 minutes from Drinkwater and Vardy give the Foxes 3 points. Great start to the season and it's the kind of game they'd have probably lost last season.

What the f**k happened to St.Mirren though?? Piss poor opening to the second half.

The whole of the second half made hardly bearable by Sky's vidiprinter breaking down!! Didn't have a clue what was happening in Scotland. Regular reports from The Riverside, at least.

Week 1, mixed fortunes.

You were right! Posted Image

Saints 2 weeks to sort ourselves out.

Leicester away to Wycombe Tuesday night in League Cup then Leeds at home Sunday 4.30pm kick off - is it on TV?

Yep, live on Sky next weekend.

Dirty Leeds in town. No-one likes them. They'll bring a big support to the King Power though. I'd expect around 3000 from Yorkshire. Could be close to 30,000 next week although saying that, TV will prob take about 5000 off the gate.

A 95th minute winner by Sean St.Ledger wins it for the Foxes!!

Wycombe 1-2 Leicester City

This is the sort of competition City should really go for. Premiership teams don't give a shit until the last 8 and it's a trophy we've won a few times before so the history is there too.

Anyway, scraped a victory but it's better than this stage last year - beaten 4-2 at home by Burton bloody Albion!!

Lets hope for a bit of a run and some games against the big guns.

Best atmosphere I've ever experienced at the King Power Stadium was when we equalised late on against a very strong Man City side in the FA Cup. I could literally feel the stand bouncing beneath my feet!!