It Going To Be A Long Season I Fear

I think one of our main problems is trying to give Harkins the freedom to play all where he wants meaning McGowan and Teale in particular have to be much more disciplined and play deeper. Killie wouldn't do that and Harkins spat the dummy, Dundee did fit their team round him but got relegated. I think we need to ask Harkins to play left mid in a 4-2-3-1, replacing Isma from last season's team but keeping that shape, all that said the back four will need to improve dramatically.

This is exactly the problem.

Our best player is Paul McGowan by a country mile. The creative part of the team should be built around him. Instead Danny has decided to play him as a defensive midfielder in order to accommodate Gary Harkins in the hole behind Thommo. The problem with this is Harkins is nowhere near the standard of player McGowan is, and McGowan is not an effective defensive midfielder. So not only is our creativity negated by losing the drive of McGowan, we are far more fragile defensively as we don't have a ball winner in midfield.

For the Killie game McGowan must be pushed further forward into the AMC role and Harkins benched. We certainly cannot continue with a central midfield triangle of McGinn, McGowan and Harkins. The balance is nowhere near right, none of them can tackle.

If we can't get anyone in - or even if we can - i'd like to see McGregor given another go in there. He's mobile and he can tackle and win headers. Ideally i'd like to see us line up like this in 13 days:

Newton-McGregor

Teale-McGowan-McGinn

-------Thompson

If we can't get Newton or similar play Harkins or Reilly on the left and drop McGinn back.

I believe that the problem is at the back although I like cheesy and he is a good tackler he has poor intelligence of the pitch and is easily dragged out of position and vanzy is easily beaten and can't keep up with the pace of wingers in time I think the keeper will adjust and I think a striker who can contribute 10-12 goals is needed or Danny may find himself and us in trouble

In fairness to cheesy, yesterday he didn't know whether to cover his man or cover for Goodwin. A number of times he was in a no win situation as we were dragged all over the place or Goodwin let the ball drop/played it to one of the ICT lads.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Black & White Army mobile app

Interesting contrast yesterday.

Butcher, for all that he signed a cartfull of lower-league nobodies, got his business done early. Signed something like 7 players as soon as the transfer window opened and has had a full pre-season to work with them and at least get them properly organised for the big kick off.

We're probably fishing in the same pool as ICT but here we are, season underway and we still appear to be desperately short of some key players, Gowser playing holding midfield, and a bench that's thinner than Gary Harkins's hair.

At least Hearts lost. Going to be looking out for their results keenly each week......

Interesting contrast yesterday.

Butcher, for all that he signed a cartfull of lower-league nobodies, got his business done early. Signed something like 7 players as soon as the transfer window opened and has had a full pre-season to work with them and at least get them properly organised for the big kick off.

We're probably fishing in the same pool as ICT but here we are, season underway and we still appear to be desperately short of some key players, Gowser playing holding midfield, and a bench that's thinner than Gary Harkins's hair.

At least Hearts lost. Going to be looking out for their results keenly each week......

That's true. Problem is we need more than just Hearts to be shitter than us this season.

I know am writing this when we are being dismantled by ICT but after seeing us twice in pre season and now in our 1st League game we look disjointed and a team not going to be pushing for top six but fighting relegation.

So chairman and DL get at least 2 quality signings in before we get relegated

It certainly is going to be a long season.

One competitive match and swathes of our fans are in full blown headless chicken panic mode already.

Working with you lot in a stressful job where calm heads are required must be a total nightmare.

Edited by oaksoft

In fairness to cheesy, yesterday he didn't know whether to cover his man or cover for Goodwin. A number of times he was in a no win situation as we were dragged all over the place or Goodwin let the ball drop/played it to one of the ICT lads.

Goodwin was our best player by a country mile.

I think that Goodwin should be playing the holding midfield role and not at CB because he often wanders there anyways

This is exactly the problem.

Our best player is Paul McGowan by a country mile. The creative part of the team should be built around him. Instead Danny has decided to play him as a defensive midfielder in order to accommodate Gary Harkins in the hole behind Thommo. The problem with this is Harkins is nowhere near the standard of player McGowan is, and McGowan is not an effective defensive midfielder. So not only is our creativity negated by losing the drive of McGowan, we are far more fragile defensively as we don't have a ball winner in midfield.

For the Killie game McGowan must be pushed further forward into the AMC role and Harkins benched. We certainly cannot continue with a central midfield triangle of McGinn, McGowan and Harkins. The balance is nowhere near right, none of them can tackle.

If we can't get anyone in - or even if we can - i'd like to see McGregor given another go in there. He's mobile and he can tackle and win headers. Ideally i'd like to see us line up like this in 13 days:

Newton-McGregor

Teale-McGowan-McGinn

-------Thompson

If we can't get Newton or similar play Harkins or Reilly on the left and drop McGinn back.

Put Goodwin back in midfield.

Put Goodwin back in midfield.

Goodwin played back in midfield in the pre season games against Morton and QOTS, with Cheesy and McGregor at the back. Given how those games went i don't imagine we'll be seeing that again.

For Goodwin to go back into midfield we'd need to sign an experienced centre half to lead the defence, someone in the Haining mould - who i believe is still available on a free transfer.

Goodwin played back in midfield in the pre season games against Morton and QOTS, with Cheesy and McGregor at the back.  Given how those games went i don't imagine we'll be seeing that again.

For Goodwin to go back into midfield we'd need to sign an experienced centre half to lead the defence, someone in the Haining mould - who i believe is still available on a free transfer.

An experienced centre half is irrelevant, its a quality centre half we need, therefore ruling Haining out right away. FWIW Andy Webster would be ideal but I can't see that ever happening

An experienced centre half is irrelevant, its a quality centre half we need, therefore ruling Haining out right away. FWIW Andy Webster would be ideal but I can't see that ever happening

Indeed

The Partick Thistle central defender's are both young... but solid and a good partnership.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Black & White Army mobile app

Indeed

The Partick Thistle central defender's are both young... but solid and a good partnership.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Black & White Army mobile app

What's that based on? One game where they could have conceded three if shagger had his shooting boots on?

Anyone who thinks we have a chance of signing Andy Webster is living in cloud cuckoo land. If we are going to move Goody we need a leader at the back, I'm a fan of Cheesy and McGregor but neither are leaders, not yet anyway.

Incidentally I'm happy enough for Goodwin and Cheesy to continue at centre half, it was good enough for us to win a cup last year. The priority signings now we have Newton back should be a striker and a keeper

I agree we'd be better without Harkins tbh. No defensive work rate whatsoever. He was signed as Gowsers replacement, there's just no way we can accommodate both in their best positions at the same time.McGregor defensive midfield is a shout, he could be a real revelation there.

Gary Harkins will score goals from midfield or playing just behind Thommo. Good players will adjust to one anothers game.

Gary Harkins will score goals from midfield or playing just behind Thommo. Good players will adjust to one anothers game.

Jury's still out on Harkins , he has a history of laziness and a bad attitude ! I'm not convinced !

Jury's still out on Harkins , he has a history of laziness and a bad attitude ! I'm not convinced !

Of course the jury is still out, he has played 1 competitive game where no one got pass marks. Give him a couple of months before the knives start getting sharpened.

Why do I keep hearing Haining's name mentioned?

I'd rather we bring back John Potter, FFS.

Noooooooo... the guy who sits in front of me will re-ignite his constant cries of 'Push them out Potter! FFS Potter, push them out!'.

I couldn't take it again.