Let's Move On .. Saints V Killie 17/8/13

shull

sorry neil, don't agree that goodwin was our best player, he got caught out of position a lot today and tried to shift the blame to others, he also wasted pass after pass trying to play Hollywood passes, newton, teale and harkins were our 3 best players today.

I meant up at Inverness he was our best player.

Like Cheesy, Goodwin also had his moments today. But both had good games.

Agree with you on Teale, Harkins and Newton. Thought Grainger was brilliant, the break really helped his fitness.

Edited by NeilPar72

I meant up at Inverness he was our best player.

Like Cheesy, Goodwin also had his moments today. But both had good games.

Agree with you on Teale, Harkins and Newton. Thought Grainger was brilliant, the break really helped his fitness.

I wasn't at inverness but heard goodwin had a good game, he had his faults today but he got pass marks for getting boyd sent off, he stitched him up like a kipper today and knew exactly what he was doing, very experienced. grainger is a tidy player and is a great signing but is it just me or does he look as slow as a week in the jail?

I wasn't at inverness but heard goodwin had a good game, he had his faults today but he got pass marks for getting boyd sent off, he stitched him up like a kipper today and knew exactly what he was doing, very experienced. grainger is a tidy player and is a great signing but is it just me or does he look as slow as a week in the jail?

Guy has been out for a long time. I assume he still isn't 100%, but his improvement today was like night and day when compared to Inverness ie positioning, touch and fitness.

He will only get better/faster with more games.

Yip, shortly after it. Fatso bundled the ball over the line. Shortly before he couldn't keep up with play & lashed out. We're you at the game caller? (sic)

Reminds me of the press conference before the Spain v Scotland World Cup qualifier in 1985 in Spain and attended by Steve Archibald.

Steve Archibald was leading goalscorer in La Liga with Barcelona at the time.

One of the journalists asked him "what exactly do you do during games Mr Archibald... apart from scoring all those goals?"

1eye.gif

Edited by Isabella Duke

Reminds me of the press conference before the Spain v Scotland World Cup qualifier in 1985 in Spain and attended by Steve Archibald.

One of the journalists asked him "what exactly do you do during games Mr Archibald... apart from scoring all those goals?"

1eye.gif

Yip, crazy faces & talking pish sums it up.

We're you at the game?

1eye.gif

Didn't score many with Scotland and St Mirren though

Overpaid dud

Thought the players lacked a wee bit of belief that we could go on and win after equalising. Tentative at times.

Defence will take a bit of time to settle but I think Cornell will be fine actually. McGregor looks like a capable right back as well. Strong midfield, need another option up front.

Will be a tight league again. Early days but yeah Dingwall is actually quite big next week. Need an injection of confidence.

I didn't say Killie were any good, when they scored they were on top, but 11 v 11 we didn't really look like scoring, Didn't seem to be any tempo or urgency, McGowan was poor expect better from him, Goodwin was poor at the back, But great to see McLean and McGregor back and playing, But we rely to much on Teale to get us in forward positions, Good to have Newton back as well, Saying nothing about the manager said all I need to,

Utter nonsense. Aside from Teale, McGowan was our best player today.

Anyone who wants the reality of the game read the following, anyone who wants to live in happy clappy la la land stop reading now:

The only reason we didn't lose today was due to our captains ability to wind an opponent up to a sufficient level to get himself off. Had it not been for that we would have lost.

Anyone who thinks this is not the case simply does not understand football. If you disagree with me, why you still reading?

Anyone who wants the reality of the game read the following, anyone who wants to live in happy clappy la la land stop reading now:

The only reason we didn't lose today was due to our captains ability to wind an opponent up to a sufficient level to get himself off. Had it not been for that we would have lost.

Anyone who thinks this is not the case simply does not understand football. If you disagree with me, why you still reading?

So it had nothing to do with the saves Samson made??

yip because you understand football correctly, you were the zoomer that thought newton was a dud signing after his 1st game against county, you wrote him off straight away, you have more faces than the paisley town hall clock.

You know that for a fact.

yip because you understand football correctly, you were the zoomer that thought newton was a dud signing after his 1st game against county, you wrote him off straight away, you have more faces than the paisley town hall clock.

I did?

Please provide dated quotes from myself.

Either that or admit your mistake, thanks.

I did?

Please provide dated quotes from myself.

Either that or admit your mistake, thanks.

You said after the county 4-1 game he wasn't a very good player and wasn't going to be good enough but all of a sudden you have jumped on the newton bandwagon now. More faces than the town clock.

You also said harkins should be on the bench, you clearly don't understand football do you?

Edited by JJ McG

From the man who wanted Harkins dropped, by all means have your say but don't act like an arrogant tosser by claiming nobody else understands the game because they don't agree with you.

Lex wrote:

As I have already said to Santaponsa above, it certainly helped but I disagree with your comment we would have definitely lost if it didn't happen.

There was a shift in pressure as Kilmarnock came into the game after our 15-20mins on top at the start, but on watching the game on Alba this evening (contrary to my comments above) Kilmarnock had some pressure but only one clear effort (in the first half).

You gloss over an excellent save from Samson in the first half from Thompson's header and McLean almost getting on the end of a well worked move when 1 on 1 with Samson...

Again though, each to their own.

Edited by Bart Simpson

Just home from the game, 1st half was poor from both sides, newton being our best player in the 1st half. 2nd half was a different kettle of fish, the boyd sending off obviously changed the game but I thought we played some cracking stuff, we battered them in the 2nd half and could of won it by 3 or 4. harkins is a joy to watch with ball at his feet, his touch and vision is off the scale, lazy when not got the ball but he is dynamite with the ball at his feet, im f**king delighted we signed him, him and teale were terrific in the 2nd half, newton also had a good game, thought mcgregor done well considering he hadn't played for a while, he is a far better option at right back than van vanten is, mcausland had a decent game also yet there was a couple of zoomers sitting behind me giving him abuse all game, I couldn't quite believe it! There is a lot of positives to take from that game, get another decent striker in and we may surprise a few people this season.

Its corona time for me.

But as usual we batter them and did we win? No . You must win at home to be a success you must beat 10men. Our hopes are v low if people are raving about us today. Really I think had we won then yes but we never. We drew with killie at our home park and they played with 10men for 33 mins. It's not success it's just more of the same. Nothing has moved on really. Listen I hope Danny does get some cash to spend as in mid winter away from home in particular I can see a troublesome season. Why because we have 11 players and that's about it the rest is youngsters and a couple of guys who are always injured or not in the managers plans

I thought McGregor looks good at full back. He played left back late on against morton and took Imrie down a peg or two (not so big a bullying a grown up) and did well today at left back. He has the pace and the strength needed. Bit gutted for Robbo though

Robbo isn't good enough and that's all. The lad needs to move on to get first team football.

Edited by norrie82

But as usual we batter them and did we win? No . You must win at home to be a success you must beat 10men. Our hopes are v low if people are raving about us today. Really I think had we won then yes but we never. We drew with killie at our home park and they played with 10men for 33 mins. It's not success it's just more of the same. Nothing has moved on really. Listen I hope Danny does get some cash to spend as in mid winter away from home in particular I can see a troublesome season. Why because we have 11 players and that's about it the rest is youngsters and a couple of guys who are always injured or not in the managers plans

The only thing that I'm astounded by is that the team described on here during pre-season and the first game of the season were amazing today by comparison.

Was happy enough with today's performance, thought we started brightly in the first 15 minutes or so and did well to create some chances and half chances. After that Killie's midfield got a grip on the game and Ibrahim ran the show for the next 20 minutes or so and no one seemed to get near him never mind tackle the guy! But for all their dominance of possession I don't remember Killie forcing Cornell into a meaningful save in the first half or any particularly near misses. Our keeper and defence whilst not perfect were doing a reasonable job and McGregor hung in there at right back after having his hands full with Ibrahim early on. As half time approached we were beginning to get back into the game and were a bit more direct and effective than Killie at threatening the goals. Thompson looked interested today but a lot of our best players had quiet first halves (McGowan, Teale, McLean), Newton had one or two surging runs from midfield and Harkins also looked eager to impress and capable of creating something out of nothing with his quick feet. At half time there was a feeling that with neither side carving out many chances we could be heading for a rare 0-0 between the sides, unless the defences made errors!

We started the second half brighter again and McGowan was getting on the ball more and involving the rest of our midfield who had gradually been by-passed as the 1st half wore on. We created a few chances but were hit on the counter attack and Killie scored with what was perhaps their first shot on target in the game. We laboured to hit back quickly and had a few more half chances to equalise and Killie had a few efforts before Boyd was sent off for punching Goodwin after they tangled going for a loose ball. The pair had squared up a couple of times in the first half and on one occasion then Boyd had aimed a kick at Goody. The ordering off changed the game as McGowan,Teale and Harkins were now all seeing plenty of the ball and beginning to create chances for themselves and Thompson. Killie in addition to losing Boyd to his red card also began replacing their goal threats (Heffernan, Ibrahim and Nicolson) and seemed to content to let St Mirren have possession but try and deny them space.

St Mirren kept plugging away to the final whistle, Harkins took his goal well, Thompson was unlucky not to score, Samson made a few good saves, McGowan came close a few times, as did Harkins, and McAusland almost got on the end of a low cross in the 6 yard box near the end. Despite a few shocking crosses (one of which went out the stadium) Grainger had a decent game and it was good to see McGregor come through 90 minutes and look more solid as the game went on. While some Killie fans reckon we would never have scored if Boyd hadn't been sent off I thought the signs were there at the start of the second half that McGowan, Teale, Harkins and McLean were all seeing more of the ball and creating chances and that Killie for all their dominance rarely troubled our defence before or after Boyd's goal. Disappointed not to take all 3 points but I thought most of the players played pretty well today and after lots of panic over the close season I thought we lookeda similar strength to the squad from the last 2 seasons with the exception that our bench was much less experienced (but we had decent options with McGinn and Reilly there).