Let's Move On .. Saints V Killie 17/8/13

shull

This thread proves the old adage about opinions being formed by preconceptions.

My opinion? I thought we played far better than I expected.

From an attacking point of view I don't think the sending off made a difference as they just went to a 4-4-1 formation therefore I believe it wrong to say we wouldn't have scored 11 v 11. As it happened, on another day, we could have won this game 3 or 4 to the good

As far as the players were concerned.

Cornell didn't have a lot to do but he came out for any cross balls and didn't fumble once. He was slow to make a decision with ball in hand but I hope that changes as he gets used to his teammates.

Grainger has a sweet left foot and had a power of work to do as most of the Killie wing play came down their right.

Cheesey and Goodwin were reasonably secure with the former helping Grainger out and spraying some good balls in the second half.

It was hard to judge McGregor as he didn't have too much to do on the right flank. Their No 19 was cutting inside and, to be fair, ripping quite a few of our lads a new one. (I was really happy to see him replced!).

I was a bit dubious about McLean starting but I felt he did ok and looked to help the defenders when required.

Newton continued where he left off last season and covered every blade of grass with his tough tackling and bursting runs.

McGowan improved as the game went on but was definitely culpable, at least in part, to their goal when diving in to the tackle. He actually did exactly the same later in the game but we got back to cover.

Harkins looked the part and I don't agree with those who say he's lazy without the ball. I thought he tracked back well and put in a few good blocks.

Thompson looked more like his old self and could have had a hatrick if not for our ex goalie.

There's nothing I can say about Teale that hasn't been said already. Star player and man of the match by a country mile.

All in all we looked more like a team but I came out feeling this was more like a defeat given our failure to capitalize on our undoubted superiority.

That has saved me a whole lot of typing! For my opinion see above. Thank you Stlucifer. Also we do need another forward.

I've just seen Spurs being awarded a penalty for a guy having the ball blootered off his hands from a few yards away.

Despite giving the penalty, I notice that the ref didn't book the player who handled.

Why did Wille Collum immediately book Jim Goodwin and Charlie Mulgrew for the same 'offence' in the semi-final? The same thing happened to David van Zanten at Inverness. Bookings for something that's clearly not deliberate are a ridiculously unjust, especially when a penalty has already been awarded.

Then you've got big Thompson blootering the ball off the baldy full back's hand in the box yesterday, and the ref waves play on.

Does anyone in the refereeing world know exactly what's meant to happen in these scenarios?

Is it written down in rule book anywhere, are the refs being advised on it as a group, or are we just making it up as we go along?

The officiating of football is in the dark ages compared to other sports.

Enjoyed the second half yesterday, first half was brutal. Harkins and Teale got great crosses into the box but nobody to finish it. Thought the defence in the first half was pretty shakey with alot of nervous passes. Still not confident when Cornell has the ball at his feet, but he wasn't really tested yesterday.

Was pleased with the positive reception Samson got although there were a few half hearted boos.

Disappointed we only took a point but at least we have something on the board.

Nothing less than 3 points next week will do.

Thought every St.Mirren player could hold their heads up after the game, not a bad individual performance out there. Pity the same can't be said for our support. I can't understand the applauding of their keeper yet booing ours and what on earth is it with applauding the away attendance? St.Mirren Park has unfortunately become a place that teams don't fear to come to, unlike the old ground. We need a new generation of fans to support the team and get rid of all the moaning old farts.

Thought McLean played well out of position yesterday, competed well for the ball (something he's been criticised for) won a decent amount of headers as well as being his usual creative self.

First half was poor, too many times McGowan and Harkins turned into their markers or our crossing was terrible.

Really turned with having 10 men to play against, more space for everyone. Just poor finishing and decision making along with some outstanding saves from Samson stopped us winning.

McGregor was alright at right back, but didn't look entirely match fit, and Thompson looked shattered later on.

A much needed improvement but still not really good enough

Hmmm.

Wish I could be enthusiastic.

Saints started well, Killie started to dominate and thereafter the fitba was quite boring. Even without Boyd, I felt were Killie were at least as dangerous as Saints.

Luckily it seems from the Friday night Alba game that Jags n Herz are little better.

A long dreich season looms... :(

Hmmm.

Wish I could be enthusiastic.

Saints started well, Killie started to dominate and thereafter the fitba was quite boring. Even without Boyd, I felt were Killie were at least as dangerous as Saints.

Luckily it seems from the Friday night Alba game that Jags n Herz are little better.

A long dreich season looms... :(

Why long and dreich?

What do you realistically expect from a game trying to downsize and live within its means?

I was at both matches you mention and felt both had good football for long periods and were entertaining.

Lighten up and enjoy the game!

Thought every St.Mirren player could hold their heads up after the game, not a bad individual performance out there. Pity the same can't be said for our support. I can't understand the applauding of their keeper yet booing ours and what on earth is it with applauding the away attendance? St.Mirren Park has unfortunately become a place that teams don't fear to come to, unlike the old ground. We need a new generation of fans to support the team and get rid of all the moaning old farts.

I will never boo a St. Mirren player, but I will applaud away fans who put money in St. Mirren by their attendance.

If we cannot fill our own stadium I wish every visiting team would.

A full stadium is better for St. Mirren's coffers.

I, personally, enjoy when I am an away fan at other grounds, whether it is Stockport, Inverness, or next week Dingwall. Meeting football minded folk who support another team can be an enjoyable experience.

How do st.johnstone manage it with crowds worse than us? Hassle baink, fallon, may, McLean, that's 4 strikers to our 1 and Davidson who seems a good player. ?? Am I missing the downsize here? Inverness signed a new team again where's the downsize and county seem to have rebuilt as well as killie. We seem to be the ones downsizing . What I cannot fathom is just one striker ?

How do st.johnstone manage it with crowds worse than us? Hassle baink, fallon, may, McLean, that's 4 strikers to our 1 and Davidson who seems a good player. ?? Am I missing the downsize here? Inverness signed a new team again where's the downsize and county seem to have rebuilt as well as killie. We seem to be the ones downsizing . What I cannot fathom is just one striker ?

Not disagreeing with that one iota... I totally agree.

But off field disillusionment should not be projected onto the players on the park wearing our colours and representing our club.

If you had watched Alba and the interviews of the Kilmarnock players immediately after the game you would have heard one say, "we knew the Saints support weren't happy and this encouraged us".

Football is very much mind games.

And you believe Ross County have rebuilt well? They have a millionaire owner and they are below us in the league at this moment.

There is a long way to go and the best thing we can do as supporters is support.

I thought it was an average game at best and a point apiece was fair. Disappointing that we couldn't beat 10 men but that's St Mirren for you. McLean was struggling after half time and was hooked too late in my opinion whilst an older Teale on the other wing got stronger as we pushed on. Is there a fitness issue there?

We made the better chances and Samson played well but I thought Killie were the better team. We can be a lot better and as the season goes on I think we'll be ok. It was good to see Grainger pushing on when Killie were down to 10 men, he looks a player going forward.

You said after the county 4-1 game he wasn't a very good player and wasn't going to be good enough but all of a sudden you have jumped on the newton bandwagon now. More faces than the town clock.

You also said harkins should be on the bench, you clearly don't understand football do you?

I asked for dated quotes, I'm still waiting.

I believe Harkins should have been dropped instead of Reilly and I think Thomas can feel very hard done by, he's had a good pre season and done okay in Inverness, I believe he should have started yesterday. Harkins only came into the game after the sending off as he finally got a bit of space, he was hardly man of the match was he?

Oh and I've just read the Ross County match thread you refer to and i've read what i said about Newton on it. So will you admit your mistake or will i link and quote myself from the thread? I won't respond to your personal abuse posts as I wouldn't want to embarrass you further than you've already managed to embarrass yourself.

The wealthy Brown Family pay for everything at St,Johnstone

Couldn’t make the game as I was playing up in Greenock but from the highlights and what I heard on the radio of the second half sounds like we had the chances to win it and it was Samson that saved them a point. A win would have been good especially against 10 men for 30 mins but at least we’re off the mark and showed we can create chances and score with 1 up front. Surprised Mclean started instead of McGinn, was he on the left?

Perhaps Teale had a blinder due to the solidity of Darren behind him. On that form Gary needs no support thus leaving the full back to do his primary function which I thought McGregor did very well.Added arial ability a huge plus too. Way better option than DVZ or Robertson in my eyes

Not having a go at McGregor. It'll take him a while to get back to full fitness after so long out, but he isn't a full back and it showed, with Teale missing the usual support Vanzy gives him. I'd take a full back behind Teale every time, as it give us more options and makes Teale more effective.

Aerial ability of McGregor in both penalty areas was a big plus, but he's not a right back. No problem with him filling in, but Vanzy has to come back in. McGregor best in defence or defensive midfield.

Not having a go at McGregor. It'll take him a while to get back to full fitness after so long out, but he isn't a full back and it showed, with Teale missing the usual support Vanzy gives him. I'd take a full back behind Teale every time, as it give us more options and makes Teale more effective.

Aerial ability of McGregor in both penalty areas was a big plus, but he's not a right back. No problem with him filling in, but Vanzy has to come back in. McGregor best in defence or defensive midfield.

If mcgregor plays like he did there on Saturday he won't be dropped, vanzy isn't good enough anymore and is the weak link in the team, mcgregor was solid on Saturday and is a better option at right back than van zanten.

I've just seen Spurs being awarded a penalty for a guy having the ball blootered off his hands from a few yards away.

Despite giving the penalty, I notice that the ref didn't book the player who handled.

Why did Wille Collum immediately book Jim Goodwin and Charlie Mulgrew for the same 'offence' in the semi-final? The same thing happened to David van Zanten at Inverness. Bookings for something that's clearly not deliberate are a ridiculously unjust, especially when a penalty has already been awarded.

Then you've got big Thompson blootering the ball off the baldy full back's hand in the box yesterday, and the ref waves play on.

Does anyone in the refereeing world know exactly what's meant to happen in these scenarios?

Is it written down in rule book anywhere, are the refs being advised on it as a group, or are we just making it up as we go along?

The officiating of football is in the dark ages compared to other sports.

Collum only booked Mulgrew and gave us the penalty because he'd just given an even softer one against Goodwin - who actually blocked the ball with his thigh - only for it to spin up and hit his arm when heading well wide.

A totally totally shocking decision, and if it hadn't been for Samson, it would have cost us the cup.

I for one will never forget this shocking Collum decision just because we happened to go on and win the game.

If mcgregor plays like he did there on Saturday he won't be dropped, vanzy isn't good enough anymore and is the weak link in the team, mcgregor was solid on Saturday and is a better option at right back than van zanten.

I disagree - I think Van Zanten should come back in as he's a full back. As solid as McGregor was at full back, you could tell he was a centre back playing wide. Van Zanten pushes on and supports Teale, as a full back should.

I'm all for getting McGregor back into the team, but not at right back.