Let's Move On .. Saints V Killie 17/8/13

shull

Cornell

Robertson McAusland Goodwin Grainger

Newton McGinn

Teale McGowan Harkins

Thommo

That would do me.

Just putting this out there, but could we consider a 3-5-1-1?

Robertson and Grainger as wingbacks with McAusland McGregor and Goodwin at the back.

Teale, Newton and McGinn in the middle, with McGowan playing just off Thompson.

Harkins coming on as impact sub if required.

I'm not suggesting this would work, simply putting it out there for consideration.

Cornell

Robbo. McAusland. Mair. Grainger.

Goodwin. Newton.

Teale. McGowan. Harkins.

Thommo.

I noticed today, that you could if you so desire pick him in the Barclays EPL Fantasy football team. At least you'd know you wouldn't lose any goals with him. Sadly you cannot buy Dummett though so he hasn't been put forward as a 1st teamer by Newcastle. thumbdown.gif

Sorry guys but if you think Danny brought Gary Harkins to the club to sit on the bench you need your head looked at !

I don't think he brought Imrie, Carey, Guy, Hasslebank etc etc to sit ont he bench however if they are not performing they they will be benched.

Not that I am saying Harkins is not performing, just saying he could be benched.

Sorry guys but if you think Danny brought Gary Harkins to the club to sit on the bench you need your head looked at !

I think Danny might be the one who needs his head looked at if he signed any player without considering that he might have to take his turn on the bench.

As Hambud says, its part of the deal.

Let's assume we play Newton tomorrow, who should we drop. I'm guessing it will be Reilly, but if the lad shows up well as the season progresses, that shouldn't necessarily be the case, surely?

I'm not entirely sure why Harkins was signed unless it was to take Gowser's place in the squad. With McGowan staying for a further season, where does this leave Harkins. No-one is going to convince me that he is so important a player that we should build the team around him. I regard him as an option, just like every other player.

Edited by Drew

I think Danny might be the one who needs his head looked at if he signed any player without considering that he might have to take his turn on the bench.

As Hambud says, its part of the deal.

Let's assume we play Newton tomorrow, who should we drop. I'm guessing it will be Reilly, but if the lad shows up well as the season progresses, that shouldn't necessarily be the case, surely?

I'm not entirely sure why Harkins was signed unless it was to take Gowser's place in the squad. With McGowan staying for a further season, where does this leave Harkins. No-one is going to convince me that he is so important a player that we should build the team around him. I regard him as an option, just like every other player.

What Danny should have considered was, signing players where we have gaps in the squad ie up front, and at the back, signing so many centre mids means it will be inevitable some of them will either need to play out of position or be benched.

I don't think he brought Imrie, Carey, Guy, Hasslebank etc etc to sit ont he bench however if they are not performing they they will be benched.

Not that I am saying Harkins is not performing, just saying he could be benched.

Exactly, Danny has a track record of benching his own high profile signings.

Harkins has had two poor games thusfar - RC and away in Inverness and I believe there are players waiting in the wings who deserve a chance in his place.

Hope wee Robot grabs his chance for right back it's his last season to prove he can step up to the mark. Millie hope to have three new players in for this game. Can see both teams scoring with Saints edging it

Robot and Millie? Are they your hamsters name or something? :lol:

Exactly, Danny has a track record of benching his own high profile signings.

Harkins has had two poor games thusfar - RC and away in Inverness and I believe there are players waiting in the wings who deserve a chance in his place.

So after two games, one of which was a pre-season match, you think Danny would bench a player he had just signed on a 3 year deal ?

Doubtful.

So after two games, one of which was a pre-season match, you think Danny would bench a player he had just signed on a 3 year deal ?

Doubtful.

Wasn't it a 2 year?

I'd certainly hope so, id expect the manager to be reactive to performances. Our attack completely failed in Inverness and a big reason for that was - in my opinion - Harkins failure to link play at the proper pace.

Our attacking game in recent seasons has been based on McGowan buzzing around the edge of the attacking third linking with the wide players and Thommo. His pace of movement and passing has been integral to everything good about us going forward, it was certainly no surprised when we racked off 6 losses on the bounce when he got injured last year.

In Inverness Harkins played in the hole and Gowser played deep. Gary is a totally different player. He's languid, slow and spends half the game trying to pull off daft circus tricks. They look nice when they come off certainly, but he slows down the whole attack. Therefore we need to get Newton in deep and McGowan further forward.

This should mean Harkins drops out IMO. If he is to play it has to be wide left in place of Reilly - which would be harsh on the young lad IMO because I think he's done quite well thusfar.

Wasn't it a 2 year?

I'd certainly hope so, id expect the manager to be reactive to performances. Our attack completely failed in Inverness and a big reason for that was - in my opinion - Harkins failure to link play at the proper pace.

Our attacking game in recent seasons has been based on McGowan buzzing around the edge of the attacking third linking with the wide players and Thommo. His pace of movement and passing has been integral to everything good about us going forward, it was certainly no surprised when we racked off 6 losses on the bounce when he got injured last year.

In Inverness Harkins played in the hole and Gowser played deep. Gary is a totally different player. He's languid, slow and spends half the game trying to pull off daft circus tricks. They look nice when they come off certainly, but he slows down the whole attack. Therefore we need to get Newton in deep and McGowan further forward.

This should mean Harkins drops out IMO. If he is to play it has to be wide left in place of Reilly - which would be harsh on the young lad IMO because I think he's done quite well thusfar.

2 years with an option of a 3rd.

Like it or not, Harkins is going to be a key part of the St.Mirren team this season, and pointing the finger of blame at him for the result in Inverness is slightly absurd if you ask me.

2 years with an option of a 3rd.

Like it or not, Harkins is going to be a key part of the St.Mirren team this season, and pointing the finger of blame at him for the result in Inverness is slightly absurd if you ask me.

I'm not blaming him for the defeat at all, I never said or implied that once. The reason we lost the game was due to our terrible defending and goalkeeping. The fact that we never created a single clear cut chance was mainly down to him slowing down our attacks in my opinion.

I have no idea why you're so sure he will be a key player for us. Did you think Imrie would be too? He got a big contract aswell, as did Guy, as did Carey. Never done any of them any good in terms of getting regular selection.

As we all know Danny isn't scared of dropping players who aren't performing, and from what I've seen of Harkins (not just for us but for Killie and Dundee) he will be spending a good deal of time on the bench this season, probably followed by some kind of mutual termination - Imrie and Guy style - in the summer.

I'm not blaming him for the defeat at all, I never said or implied that once. The reason we lost the game was due to our terrible defending and goalkeeping. The fact that we never created a single clear cut chance was mainly down to him slowing down our attacks in my opinion.

I have no idea why you're so sure he will be a key player for us. Did you think Imrie would be too? He got a big contract aswell, as did Guy, as did Carey. Never done any of them any good in terms of getting regular selection.

As we all know Danny isn't scared of dropping players who aren't performing, and from what I've seen of Harkins (not just for us but for Killie and Dundee) he will be spending a good deal of time on the bench this season, probably followed by some kind of mutual termination - Imrie and Guy style - in the summer.

Jesus, now you not only have him benched, you've got him having his contract terminated and leaving the club next summer too - all purely on the basis of ONE competitive game of football thumbup2.gif

Even for you fella that level of pure negativity is impressive !

I think that realistically it'll be Robertson and Newton in for Van Zanten and Reilly. With Harkins or potentially McGinn on the left.

Although I wouldn't surprised if Danny brings McLean back into the fold if he is 100%.

This needs to be the season where we make St Mirren park a tough place for teams to visit. We need to win at home, and learn how to win ugly at home.

3-1 to the good guys.