Lee Mair Get Him In The Team

I don't think he is beyond criticism at all WeeBud, i think he has made a lot of mistakes, nothing detrimental to the progress of the club as a whole, every manager makes mistakes.

However, to me, from the outside looking in there are problems at the club that shouldn't be placed at the managers door.

i'd be very uncomfortable with the fact that your board, whilst happy to post on here when they are begging for 10000hrs suddenly loose their login details when there is a massive split in the fanbase on the very aspect that keeps the club alive. ontop of that the fact that you have a boardroom who can't keep their trap shut and are happy to pass on information to posters to feed into the forum, information which could be portrayed in a negative light towards the manager.

In fairness most of that was done by a person "co-opted" onto the board for specifically trying to take forward a "community/fan-based" project to by 51% of the club. It would have been remiss of him/them not to communicate with the fan-base.

On another note, I play golf , on occasion,with a current director at Thistle as well two previous chairmen and they all "talked" about what was going on at their club at the time. Part of the problem is that most "board members" are also fans and sometimes the mask slips. It's what the receiver of the information does that is often the problem.

do you think there is a conflict of interest having a father & son relationship between the pitch and baordroom, do you think this is having an effect on Danny's ability to do his job?

No I don't, there are plenty of examples of manager/son relationships so I see this as no different.

and regards to Lee Mair, maybe someone can go back and bump the thread from when it was announced he could leave? because the way i remember it, st mirren fans were not that fussed to see him go and were frustrated he was kicking about the club picking up a wage.

I would say there was perhaps a 50/50 split on that.

i have no idea why he was given a new contract, was there a trigger in the old one that gave him an extention? but the fact is, one of the highest paid players at your club is picking up a wage, he is pissing about on twitter all day apparently watching homes under the hammer and Homes Downunder. that to me doesn't come across as a player who gives a shit about you the fans, your club or his career.

What should he do Dave, it's not his fault he was given a new contract and he didn't make the decision his career, at St Mirren, was over. I have a bigger issue with the fact that we have an "experienced pro" that we're not even considering playing when we are obviously struggling in defence. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but he "earned" his new contract under the "current" management team.

again, i've been to maybe 16 st mirren games over the last 3 or 4 years including 2 cup finals, a cup semi and countless league games. i've watched more st mirren games on the tv than i care to remember. i have shared a supporters bus with you guys on a few occasions and sat in the Bull of a saturday night discussing both mine and your club in depth. wilst lennon is not blameless in all of this, there is something stinking inside your club, from the playing staff right up to the boardroom and from the outside in (not just in my eyes) it looks like someone's being made a scapegoat.

Depending on your angle there could be more than one person being made "scapegoats" of, I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Its the last i'll say on the matter, i'll let you guys get on with it. if you all manage to get rid of him i hope you get the replacement you deserve, maybe if Shiels doesn't take it Gus will come back.

Certainly from my own perspective I would like to see DL succeed but the two you suggest have a very similar record to DL in the "top-flight" so maybe we've already got what, as you put it, we deserve.

One last thought, maybe he's struggling in the transfer market cause words got around the players in Scotland that there is a large element of st mirren fans who are quite clearly not right in the head and find it totally acceptable to abuse players and staff for 90 minutes every week.

And that makes us different from any other support?? For example I'd refer you back to you highlighting the "ticketing issue" surrounding Celtic playing at Firhill and all that seeped out from Thistle fans, on their fans boards, around that time.

St Mirren fans aren't perfect and as I've said I think a lot of what is being said just now is way over the top but passions and frustrations are running high.

Good luck to Thistle for the season ahead fellow football fan.

Edited by WeeBud

I don't know Lee Mair, and wouldn't cast any aspersions. However, it seems there are a few fans who are friendly with Lee, and have taken it as a personal insult that Lennon doesn't rate him. He told him he wasn't in his plans - why would that change cos he stayed on?

One thing I do agree with is that he's a waste of a wage. He should be on the bench every week, for exeprience and cover, but as you say, there's no knowing what has gone on behind the scenes.

Totally agree with the first part. Many people shouting are probably pals with Lee or follow him on twitter and think he's a great guy.

Personally, I don't think he's good enough now. Wouldn't have him ahead of others.

Totally agree with the first part. Many people shouting are probably pals with Lee or follow him on twitter and think he's a great guy.

Personally, I don't think he's good enough now. Wouldn't have him ahead of others.

Surely he's worth having on the bench before one of the youngsters who are unlikely to be brought on? I understand Lennon told him he wasn't in his plans, and in that case he shouldn't expect to suddenly be in them because he stayed, but it's a misuse of an asset that we are paying a good wage to.

There may well be good reason he is not even making the bench. No idea of his contract, but if he is part of the first team squad he'd presumably get any win bonus etc even if he didn't play. Not that it would make a difference currently!

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a financial reason for it. Would love to know for sure though. Maybe he would be due an extension if he plays x number of games, hence not playing him early in the season? Vanzy had that sort of contract.

I don't know lee or follow him on twatter, but our defence is so bad at the moment that it must be changed, anyone who is happy with cheesy and Goodwin as our cb pairing have there heads buried in the sand

I don't know lee or follow him on twatter, but our defence is so bad at the moment that it must be changed, anyone who is happy with cheesy and Goodwin as our cb pairing have there heads buried in the sand

I wouldn't say I was happy with them as a cb pairing, but Mair certainly wouldn't be any better.

It is clear that Our present Manager does not fancy Lee Mair for whatever reason but he is our most experienced centre half and by the look of things will not be starting games while our present manager is with the club.

Would it not make sense to bring him back into the team as we need as many players as we can muster at present, The Squad is a weak as it has ever been and Lee Mair is a decent player who can bring a bit of steel to our pish poor back four.

I'd argue he is pretty happy with his current lot - on a decent wage, not having to worry about games, coaching badge in the back pocket, relatively intelligent guy. See out the season and then hang up the boots.

I'd argue he is pretty happy with his current lot - on a decent wage, not having to worry about games, coaching badge in the back pocket, relatively intelligent guy. See out the season and then hang up the boots.

DL trying his hardest to get rid of mair he doesnt want him here when he gets the boot after the Thistle game,

DL for some reason want even play him in the under 20,s other managers are not gettin a chance to see him play

That should get Lee off his erse to get a club who'll let him play. By the time his contract runs out he'll have forgaotten what defending was all about...........

Hmmmm, let me think!lol.gif

• 1 month later...

Well done Lee .....

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/spfl/boss-told-me-i-could-leave-but-i-stayed-put-to-fight-for-my-place-138020n.22309334

I appreciate it is paper talk and maybe does not tell the full story however Mair looked match fit and match aware considering how long he had been out the team. And that requires a lot of effort and mental strength so hats off to him.

Mair played a solid no fannying about game, blootered it up the park when needed.

Well done Lee good man. tempted to have a pop at Lennon here but will let it go without saying I told you so when I started this thread.

You told us what?That the only goal we lost was his fault?

I also thought he had a good game but don't get carried away .

Mair was my MotM on Monday, and that is quite an accolade given that there were no failures on the night, and some very good showings (Dilo and Thompson in particular).

He looked as good as I've ever seen him play. I've never been one for slating him in any event, but I particularly admire his attitude in the current circumstances. If he is dropped on Saturday, it will be a travesty. On the basis of Monday's performance from the central half pairing, McAusland might have to bide his time to get back into the team (for all I believe him to be one of the few players who, prior to the last match, was putting in a decent shift most games).

Great.

Mair has had one very good game in the past year.He just doesn't do it nearly often enough for my liking.

Let's hope it translates into a run of strong performances, instead of the weak, hesitant performances that he can be guilty of producing.

I think pairing him with McGregor works in his favour as I'm of the opinion that these two are our best central defensive partnership.

I actually thought Goodwin shaded it for our MOTM.

Great.

Mair has had one very good game in the past year.He just doesn't do it nearly often enough for my liking.

Let's hope it translates into a run of strong performances, instead of the weak, hesitant performances that he can be guilty of producing.

I think pairing him with McGregor works in his favour as I'm of the opinion that these two are our best central defensive partnership.

I actually thought Goodwin shaded it for our MOTM.

That's the thing... had he performed like that on a regular basis then he never would have been sidelined... Danny went out of his way to defend and support him when fans were out for blood... but that seems to be forgotten now.

Danny was 100% right to drop him when he did... and tell him to find another club if he could.

Lee was 100% right to say screw you... I have a family and a good contract and I'm going nowhere.

Lee Mair had a good game on Monday... but one lapse led to one goal against and one point instead of three.

I welcome him back and will support him 100%... ... but I refuse to get on the sycophantic amnesiac gravy train that has forgotten how many points he cost us in the past!

That's the thing... had he performed like that on a regular basis then he never would have been sidelined... Danny went out of his way to defend and support him when fans were out for blood... but that seems to be forgotten now.

Danny was 100% right to drop him when he did... and tell him to find another club if he could.

Lee was 100% right to say screw you... I have a family and a good contract and I'm going nowhere.

Lee Mair had a good game on Monday... but one lapse led to one goal against and one point instead of three.

I welcome him back and will support him 100%... ... but I refuse to get on the sycophantic amnesiac gravy train that has forgotten how many points he cost us in the past!

The only thing I would dispute there is that, technically, his lapse, and it wasn't just his, didn't lead to the goal. The keeper narrowed the angle and stopped that from happening,....only just. Aberdeen's resulting corner should have been dealt with better by others. Also. It could be argued that DVZ could have wrapped his left foot around the rebound which might have resulted in a throw in.

The latter might be a bit harsh mind you.

Has he cost us many more points than, say, Goodwin, or DVZ? I am not a huge fan (and certainly no sycophant), but I do think some of the criticism levelled at him is a tad OTT.

It has been clear for some time that having Goodwin in defence should only be an emergency cover option. While Mair's wages were being paid, he should - as would seem to be the case now - be utilised as required. The Mair situation was handled in a cack-handed manner all round.