Newton Rejoins On Loan

Yes, he's only on loan, and yes, it's only (at present) until January - but this is good news. Isma, Dummet and Newton(nnnnn!) were all loanees last season, and I don't think it's going too far to say that without them there wouldn't be a League Cup in the trophy cabinet. We hadn't scored against Celtic in a hundred years, then Newton dinks one onto Isma - bob's yer' auntie. In the final, Isma drags us back into it with the opener, then Dummet sweeps a low ball right onto the Thommohawk's left peg, then it's the Isma and Newton show again - a superb one-two, and wallop - ball is thundered into the net and not only do we win one of our most famous victories, we do it scoring some of the greatest goals we'll ever score. All three involving loanees. Anyone who tires of watching the slow motion replay of Newton's strike from behind needs a slap!

So, short term loanees - they came, they saw, they shagged, they won our hearts, they won a cup.

Newton coming back is 100% to do with how well it went last time, and the impression the club made on him. If he can sell the club to Adam Campbell, all the better. If Newton does well again, and if Campbell comes and does well - our reputation as a good club that improves young players grows. It's a good situation to be in, albeit a situation that we do not want to become overly-reliant on. First and foremost we need to be relying on permanently signed, contracted players as the backbone of the squad - with loanees sprinkled on top like Geordie fairydust.

Welcome 'home' the Ginger Geordie.

Edited by pozbaird

Great news. Welcome back Conor. I still think a striker, hopefully Campbell, and an experienced centre back are required.

Also think we need a left mid as well, probably more so than a centre half although all 3 would be good. A right back and Campbell plus another striker and we'll be sorted. If we don't get these positions sorted Danny must go, sack the board blah, blah, blah.

Newton is a good player but as an attack we have 35 yr old Steven Thompson and nobody else

Nothing quite like the sound of broken records just moments after our club has announced some great news.

Gie us peace FFS. Just a few hours would be nice.

Take Kendo with you.

Newton is a good player but as an attack we have 35 yr old Steven Thompson and nobody else

Indeed.

Another central midfielder in the bag but we still have the same defence that let in the highest number of goals we've conceded since promotion in 2006 and a forward line that consists of an ageing lone striker...

I'm sure the Celtic and Hearts defences checked Stephen's birth certificate last year as he did his bit in the Cup! Yes he has had a couple of games without scoring recently but he is in the form of his life with a better goal per game ratio than at any point in his career. With the possible addition of Campbell in the near future and the balls from wide by Harkins, Newton etc Thommo will be among top scorers in top league this year just like last year!

Disagree with comments about Goodwin not having the pace to play in midfield.

Pace isn’t an attribute you normally associate with sitting midfielders.

Mark Reilly is probably the finest exponent of a sitting midfielder I’ve seen at St. Mirren. He had no pace and was right at the end of his career when he arrived at Love Street.

Neil Lennon was another classic sitting midfielder. No pace.

And the great Billy Abercromby…

Pace might not be an absolute requirement for a holding midfielder but one with pace will always be better than one without. I suppose it remains to be seen but the assumption has to be that if Newton fills the holding role then Goodwin is to be one of our central defenders, this just leaves a striker to be signed before the Kilmarnock game and we'll be more or less where we should be in terms of numbers.

Just seen the great man himself shopping on Argyle Street!!

I ran up the road waving my arms in the air like a 13 year old girl at a One Direction concert, hoping I'd be the one to break the news (maybe even envisioning my own Digger transfer news appreciation thread) only to find the news had been broken about 4 hours ago. I'm so happy but!

By the by, I always felt Newton was at his best when he was aloud to break forward, like in the last game against Killie, or his goal against Hearts in the final.

Nothing quite like the sound of broken records just moments after our club has announced some great news..

LOL Surely I'm not the only one eating their dinner and almost choking on the irony of that latest rubbish?

Broken record you say........

Wont be purchasing alcoholic beverages for anybody and an increase in S.T. prices wid make me sad, but i'm addicted and wid pay up knowing Mr Gilmour wid utilise my donation prudently and wisely.

I hate to pour cold water on this but we are really looking at things short term.

Newton, signs up till January.

Thommo, on a one year deal and not getting any younger.

Teale as per Thommo.

McGowan on a one year deal.

I'm sure that there will be others that I've not mentioned.

We'll be back to square one next season. I do hope that if we survive this season we will be a bit quicker sorting things out prior to the start of the season.

It's a sign of the times and one that doesn't bother me too much. Clubs our size won't be offering great terms, promising young players will only sign one year deals for a club our size and players move on whether we want them to stay or not.

Most managers in our league will be building new teams every summer. I am sure it will be like this for a while to come.

It's a sign of the times and one that doesn't bother me too much. Clubs our size won't be offering great terms, promising young players will only sign one year deals for a club our size and players move on whether we want them to stay or not.Most managers in our league will be building new teams every summer. I am sure it will be like this for a while to come.

Yes I agree it's a sign of the times. The thing I don't get is we knew before the end of the season that we needed new players. Why did Danny leave the recruitment of these players for so long. ICT had 10 or so players in pronto and a thread was started on here laughing at Butcher.

Our squad was weakened at a time we could have enhanced it with profits made from our cup runs

Edited by Kendo

Thanks for your positivity and kind words, Conor. Has anyone told you this cup-winning thing is, well - scarce?

I saw footage of your cup final goal the other day and the commentator said it was your first goal for the Buddies. 'Huh!' said I to myself, 'and his last!'. Go on - make a liar out of me...

Thanks for your positivity and kind words, Conor. Has anyone told you this cup-winning thing is, well - scarce?

I saw footage of your cup final goal the other day and the commentator said it was your first goal for the Buddies. 'Huh!' said I to myself, 'and his last!'. Go on - make a liar out of me...

He already has. He's scored another two for us since.

1eye.gif