Queen Of The South V St Mirren League Cup Round 2

shull

The squad. Every single player should be taking a long hard look at themselves.

They owe Danny Lennon a performance on Saturday, they owe themselves a performance on Saturday, they owe us a performance on Saturday.

It's all one talking about lack of strength in depth, the XI we put out on that pitch is certainly good enough to be winning matches at SPL level. It's high time every single one of them stood up and was counted. Someone like Gary Teale hasn't allowed his level of performance to drop and is about the only player I can honestly say is exempt from criticism this season, it seems like those around him are all happy enough to shamble from one game to the next.

I won't single out names, but I can think of at least 4 or 5 players who have been playing every week who are simply not pulling anything like the weight that their reputation has given them. It's time for them to shape the f**k up.

Danny isn't blameless, of course, but his players are letting him and the club down badly at this moment in time.

It's now f**king high time to get Lee Mair back in as well, the Goodwin at centre half experiment has gone on for far longer than it should have, and it doesn't work. It never really has to be honest, I'd wager we've conceeded far more with Jim in defence than with him in midfield. I think the problem is now, that there isn't a place for Jim in midfield, Conor Newton has taken up his position and has become as good as, if not better than him at it.

It's now f**king high time to get Lee Mair back in as well, the Goodwin at centre half experiment has gone on for far longer than it should have, and it doesn't work. It never really has to be honest, I'd wager we've conceeded far more with Jim in defence than with him in midfield. I think the problem is now, that there isn't a place for Jim in midfield, Conor Newton has taken up his position and has become as good as, if not better than him at it. agree with mair nut Goodwin should play in the middle in front of the back 4. Newton,MacLean,Gowser amend even McGinn are not physical enough.

The biggest issue for me was our reaction when we lost the 2nd goal. Slumped shoulders from everyone. There was still 5 mins to go. No midfielders pushed up to support the front 2. Why did we not go 3 at the back and throw McGregor up front to mix it up. Shocking

Just back from the game, gutted.

First half was shocking, second half was much better and we should have been out of sight with our chances.

Gowser shouldn't have took penalty, his kicks are shite and he's just off the bench.

Wtf was Goodwin doing with the free kick before the 2nd goal. He should have sent it to the far post for cheesy and Thompson but he plays it straight towards harkins. We're left exposed at the back, he makes an arse of the header and the the keeper is caught miles off his line and is somehow beat by a shot that doesn't even lob him.

Why the f**k was our best and fittest player (Teale) subbed?

We need a left mid as playing either McLean or McGinn out there is a waste.

Edited by davidg

Just back from the game, gutted.

First half was shocking, second half was much better and we should have been out of sight with our chances.

Gowser shouldn't have took penalty, his kicks are shite and he's just off the bench.

Wtf was Goodwin doing with the free kick before the 2nd goal. He should have sent it to the far post for cheesy and Thompson but he plays it straight towards harkins. Were left exposed at the back, he makes an arse of the header and the the keeper is caught miles of his line and is somehow beat by a shot that doesn't even lob him.

Why the f**k was our best and fittest players subbed?

Newton appeared to have taken a knock, went straight to the dressing room then emerged later with what looked like an ice pack on his knee.

Defend this pish if you dare.

The result cannot be defended and I'm not going to try.

However unlike the majority I'm not baying for blood and not I'm wanting to be part of any lynch mob.

I'm as disappointed as we all are with the result and with our current poor form.

I get no joy from a St.Mirren defeat, only the same painful disappointment that I know we all share.

So many had already made up their minds, tonight was the last straw for others. Even so, objectively we were poor in the 1st half of normal time, in the ascendancy in the second half (barring one excellent save from Cornell, a couple of long range speculative efforts and a cross that had nobody on the end of it) with a number of excellent efforts and if not for their keeper playing a blinder and Harkins' hitting Thomo on the back rather than the back of the net it would have been our game for the taking.

Extra time...on the front foot until the penalty miss, then despite the lift it gave them got what should have been a decisive goal...subsequently only St.Mirren...

As for their second goal, difficult to tell, but if we'd had a view from behind the goals we'd all know for sure (see my comments about watching the game from different angles).

Danny's interview was interesting for me. It was the first time I've heard him say the team didn't do what try had been told. Time and again they are urged forward but time an again they sit back, invite pressure and concede is essentially how he put it. Despite the platitudes that don't agree with many he also said he knew Lex's Countdown style clock was ticking...but that he wouldn't back down from a fight.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decisions the board have to. Again I sincerely hope Danny can turn things around. I don't think he was much to blame tonight, the chances were there, but they weren't taken.

Anyway safe home to all Buddies who were there. And to all those who weren't don't watch the highlights it will be just as painful.

I fear the tide has turned and is hurtling towards him and I know it is going to take an awful lot to turn it back but I'm still hoping...COYS

Just back from the game and feeling gutted, we had more than enough chances to win the game in the 2nd half but we blew it. Gowser's penalty miss proved to be crucial, and why did we switch off after Thompson scored. We seemed to be all over Queens and on the ascendancy, but once again we gave away two shockingly poor goals.

Some people on the bus home seem to think that defeat on Sat will see Danny gone, but it will cost us to pay up his contract and whoever get's the gig will have no cash for players.

Talk of protests against Danny on twitter now, they better be careful what they wish for.

Edited by class of 76-77

someone like Carey?

If the guy could have applied himself in training, and contributed on the pitch he wouldn't have been freed. How long do you pay someone a wage hoping that "potential" turns into reality?

someone like Carey?Again unlike some I haven't a clue what goes on behind closed doors in the corridors of power...but it is strange that we are even more lop sided than last season with both Carey and Imrie leaving. Both hardly set the heather alight on a consistent basis, for whatever reason, but you have to trust the manager that the decisions were made with the best of intentions. Sadly that trust is now evaporating for the majority and I can see why even if despite the results and current situation I am a bit more hesitant to simply call for the manager's head.

Again the frustrating thing for me is that the calibre of some of our players is excellent and on our day we can beat anyone, sadly most days anyone can and will beat us though. Even more galling though is the fact that we all know our central defensive pairing is suspect, yet and alternative hasn't been forthcoming...

Despite being willing to give Danny the benefit of the doubt and being a happy-clapper some things do baffle me.

Unfortunately too many players are being found wanting, and ultimately the manager carries the can when things are good and when things are bad. Hence the current gloomy horizons.

I still say back him...

The result cannot be defended and I'm not going to try.

However unlike the majority I'm not baying for blood and not I'm wanting to be part of any lynch mob.

I'm as disappointed as we all are with the result and with our current poor form.

I get no joy from a St.Mirren defeat, only the same painful disappointment that I know we all share.

So many had already made up their minds, tonight was the last straw for others. Even so, objectively we were poor in the 1st half of normal time, in the ascendancy in the second half (barring one excellent save from Cornell, a couple of long range speculative efforts and a cross that had nobody on the end of it) with a number of excellent efforts and if not for their keeper playing a blinder and Harkins' hitting Thomo on the back rather than the back of the net it would have been our game for the taking.

Extra time...on the front foot until the penalty miss, then despite the lift it gave them got what should have been a decisive goal...subsequently only St.Mirren...

As for their second goal, difficult to tell, but if we'd had a view from behind the goals we'd all know for sure (see my comments about watching the game from different angles).

Danny's interview was interesting for me. It was the first time I've heard him say the team didn't do what try had been told. Time and again they are urged forward but time an again they sit back, invite pressure and concede is essentially how he put it. Despite the platitudes that don't agree with many he also said he knew Lex's Countdown style clock was ticking...but that he wouldn't back down from a fight.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decisions the board have to. Again I sincerely hope Danny can turn things around. I don't think he was much to blame tonight, the chances were there, but they weren't taken.

Anyway safe home to all Buddies who were there. And to all those who weren't don't watch the highlights it will be just as painful.

I fear the tide has turned and is hurtling towards him and I know it is going to take an awful lot to turn it back but I'm still hoping...COYS

I hope that is true and that Danny does indeed turn things around . .

Talking of lynch mobs, I'm almost dreading Saturday now. I actually feel physically sick thinking about how it could pan out, and am seriously reconsidering whether I should go at all.

I'm torn between wanting to go and support my club in a massive match, or staying away to avoid the potential carnage.

FFS, only football can do this to you!

For me this is all part and parcel of the St Mirren thing. Managers come and go players come and go..............we are as usual stabbed through he heart, left bleeding , only to start again.................with refreshed optimism and the lingering hope that someone will mange to deliver back to back wins, a sign of some consistency and rekindle the hope .................................for a while.

Then the cycle begins all over again

Danny gave us a great day in the sun , gave us a lift from the previous regime..............soon someone else will attempt to placate the seething mob

It's all part and parcel of the Paisley St Mirren pattern. I'm actually battered and bruised again , but recover , bounce back again, looking forward to party pints and three points on Saturday , or toasting the memory of DL, either event will unfold , don't really lose sleep about it , so used to this now.............................bag.gif

I am a huge Lennon fan and can see what he tried to achieve here in the last 2 years

sadly its getting to the point where there is no return for him unless he turns it around with a huge effort from the players as they have to play their part in all this too

If i was in charge i would give Danny till the end of November to see what he can do and if he does well then fine,carry on old chap

If not,its time to go and give a new manager a month before the new window opens to give him a chance to assess the playing staff and target new arrivals for the new year

BTW,tommo is not an option

If the guy could have applied himself in training, and contributed on the pitch he wouldn't have been freed. How long do you pay someone a wage hoping that "potential" turns into reality?

Carey never had an extended run in the team. He played left,right and Centre mid as well as left back for us. Our best spell in the last few years was Celtic,St Johnstone in the cups then well and ICT, all wins in which he played before being dropped yet again. in the league

First half was dire stuff last night, but I did think we'd get the win with all the chances in the second half. Harkins was unlucky, but also a wee bit lazy with at least one strike. McLean had his best game for a while, but doesn't have that wee trick a winger needs to get it over. Thought McGinn played really well and Teale was okay once he'd stopped falling out with everyone and turning his back on the play.

Mention to the keeper also, couple of decent saves and the lob for their second obviously caught him flat footed. He'll soon learn that you can't switch off any time the ball comes near Captain Twat!

With that last comment in mind...Goodwin needs to take a good look at himself as he was abysmal for vast parts of the match and really offers very little aside from pushing opponents and clapping. I know there's a wee group who applaud his mindless lower league push anything that moves style of play, but in my mind he's lost it and needs to be dropped.

Final thought, had the throw in that never was not been given then QOTS may not have gotten an equaliser let alone a winner. Very poor decision as the ball wasn't even half off the pitch, let alone off it.

I actually feel gutted for Danny.

He's a decent human being, and whether he has run out of ideas/simply isn't up to the job, or hasn't received the backing of the BoD and/or some players, I don't think he deserves our scorn and contempt.

One of the abiding memories I will have of Danny is when he simply turned and looked at the crowd at Hampden when Newton scored the 3rd goal in the final. I genuinely believe that he was at least as happy to have delivered that win for us as for himself. There is a warmth and regard there that few managers we've had in recent memory have felt towards the supporters - probably since Tony Fitz. And all that despite not having a long-term affinity with the club.

I feel utterly deflated tonight, but I'm not blaming Danny Lennon. Of course he has to take his share of responsibility, but so do others, some of whom seem untouchable at times.

Whatever happens, I'll always hold the guy in high regard for delivering the best day of my Saints supporting life. He'll always be a hero for that.

Its a bloody shame.

If he is a decent person and he might be then he should do the decent thing and resign for the sake of the club, Cup run apart last season he league record is horrific, We have not won a home game since Jan in the league, Its alright being a good guy but football is a result driven business and DL cant cut it,

Well, I have contacted SG to try and get some clarification about the budget, if it has been cut and if it has been cut quite a bit or not. SG usually responds with any other questions I've had in the past and so I'm hoping he'll do the same here. Nobody else seems to have went and actually asked the BoD, but everyone seems happy enough to speculate.

Exactly what is needed, well done. thumbup2.gif

What's the rumour?

Heard that rumour in the pub after the Killie game. Like you I hoped it was a load of bollocks.

Been told that McGowan is in bother with the Police... Rumours were floating about on Saturday apparently. Hopefully, a load of shite, last thing we need

Edited by slapsalmon