Ross County V St Mirren 24//8/13 League

shull

You call Danny Lennon an idiot but you would have a nutter like Shiels in charge of the club. His record at Kilmarnock wasn't much better than Danny's record and all that with a much bigger budget. There was a perfectly good reason the media loved Shiels - his comments sold newspapers and while the Killie fans lapped it up, just about everyone else would have a good laugh at his antics,

Hopefully Shiels is in a nice little retirement home with his own padded room and a jacket where the arms are tied together behind his back.

God help us if Shiels replaces Lennon...

The new manager will be Steven Thompson

We are reaping what we've sown. We've not replaced the players that have left. The start we've made to the season is of absolutely no surprise to me.

You are correct Kendo but more will come....still a battle at the bottom for us though....hope the cups are kind......Hard for me to see Inverness ,Ross County and St Johnstone out do us...But hey imagine you are an Aberdeen fan with a potential of 20,000 home gate ....get gubbed from the Celic and watch league leaders ICT get a 2-2 draw in Glasgow!.....Terry Butcher is fcukin class!

Get Terry Butcher in would be my shout. The man works magic on a budget less than ours season after season. Sadly he wouldn't come as bigger clubs will come calling in time.

I just can't see Danny and the current crop of players having the required dig and resolve to turn this round while Danny in charge. 2 league wins in last 17 games and only 3 league wins this year. Shocking stats whatever way you carve it up. Just as well as we didn't play celtic at Parkhead on 2nd game of season or we could easily be -12 goals or more.

I said to my mates after the Morton game that Hearts would be within touching distance by end of October. It's going to happen before the end of August. That is a f*****g disgrace!

I think it's just a matter of time before the boards hand is forced to sack Danny.

I don't think we should jump to any conclusions about today's performance or make any knee-jerk decisions about DL's future at SMFC until we hear what those who travelled to Dingwall have to say about what they witnessed today.

Only after we get the viewpoint of those who observed /suffered the performance first hand should we be screaming at the B.O.D to sack the useless, clueless, shit-for-brains, no-talent manager right away before this season goes any further.

I don't think we should jump to any conclusions about today's performance or make any knee-jerk decisions about DL's future at SMFC until we hear what those who travelled to Dingwall have to say about what they witnessed today.

Only after we get the viewpoint of those who observed /suffered the performance first hand should we be screaming at the B.O.D to sack the useless, clueless, shit-for-brains, no-talent manager right away before this season goes any further.

wasntme-sign.gif I think you should come off that fence there before you get splinters.

Knee jerk?

You having a f**king laugh?

Check the stats on the post previous to you're drivel

Team's an utter shambles. They clearly have no faith im the manager, and who can blame them?

Today we were up against a side who are no better than us qualify wise, but who were better motivated and better organised. Who then, is to blame for this latest disgrace?

I advise all absent happy clappers - I can only deduce that the few remaining happy clappers don't actually go to the games - to watch the highlights of the 3rd goal. Harkins does not match his mans run from a simple corner kick (surprise surprise) and it's the easiest goal you'll concede in your life. Watch the second goal, a penalty is saved and no one is near Brittain so he strokes home the reboud. The lack of defensive organisation is frankly terrifying.

Since we won the cup the management of our football club has been absolutely shambolic. We somehow managed to get ourselves nervous about relegation last year and the management of the squad over the summer has been negligent at best and disgracefully incompetent at worst.

I said October after the Inverness game, however given the terrible performances since then I must revise this prediction forward. I think he may have as little as 2 games to save his job. In the first half he was at the edge of his technical area full of enthusiasm. As soon as the third goal went in he went and sat in his dugout with his head in his hands and he never stood up again. He looked like a beaten man, he looked like a man completely out of ideas, and the performance of his side also suggested as much.

Failure to progress at QOTS and failure to beat Thistle should mean game over, and thank goodness for that. The quicker we get rid of him the quicker we can progress as a football club. Who knows, maybe with our new manager we might even be able to emulate the league achievements of Ross County and Inverness.

Tick tock.

Whilst openly admitting to be a 'Happy Clapper' I think you've quite rightly pointed out a number of deficiencies from today's performance. Constructive and reasoned discussion is the way forward. This thread unfortunately is full of abuse, rightly or wrongly, without the discourse you've thankfully provided.

The paying customer is allowed have opinions, and should be free and encouraged to voice them. Simply voicing disgust without qualification is tiresome.

On your points Lex, was Harkins hooked because of the lack of defensive commitment? The commentary on the radio voice bemusement at his withdrawal, but your comments would certainly explain it. As for the lack of attention after the penalty save, I think even Billy Dodds voiced his surprise at nobody reacting to support the keeper...

Lack of commitment to the jersey is inexcusable and is very worrying. You quite rightly point out that the blame does lie somewhere.

Unlike you I have openly admired Danny's performance as our manager. However, it has been qualified more recently with poor performances, by whether there is a longterm plan for the club under his leadership. Like others I think the club should be open with the fans about our 5-10 year plan. If Danny is working on a much tighter budget then we should be told. I know why we're not in case season ticket sales fall etc but at least it would allow us to make a reasoned and informed decision on current performances.

I'm desperately trying not to be an apologist, but even as a 'Happy Clapper' and a fan of Danny, performances and especially team effort needs to improve.

Certainly the Kilmarnock game was reasonable but the defensive frailties that haven't been addressed cost us dear. As for both trips to the Highlands it sounds like we've capitulated twice without any fight.

I wish I knew the answer. I hope it doesn't take Danny leaving or being sacked, but unless there is a long term plan behind the scenes things have to improve soon.

Those who want to see us sign new players are missing the point.

No amount of new players will make a blind bit of difference. Its not the standard of the players that is the issue, its the tactics.

Adams or Butcher would have our current crop of players battling at the top end of the table. Danny Lennon would have the current ICT & Ross County sides battling relegation.

They are direct. They get the ball forward quickly, they pressure the opposition into mistakes, the hit on the break.

We fanny about, we let teams get men behind the ball, we make mistakes, we lose possession, we get hit on the break.

We are a dream to play against for the likes of ICT & Ross County.

No amount of new players will make a blind bit of difference. Its not the standard of the players that is the issue, its the tactics.

Adams or Butcher would have our current crop of players battling at the top end of the table. Danny Lennon would have the current ICT & Ross County sides battling relegation.

They are direct. They get the ball forward quickly, they pressure the opposition into mistakes, the hit on the break.

We fanny about, we let teams get men behind the ball, we make mistakes, we lose possession, we get hit on the break.

I so want to argue against that post... but... ... ...

damn... ... spot on!

Our glorious leader Mr Danny Lennon brings in a untried young goalkeeper on the basis that he has been capped at under 21 level for wales. Now I don't know much about the Welsh under 21's but I would assume that they are not world beaters and to get a game at this level would not be difficult. I am all for giving our youth a chance but I am not for giving Swansea city the chance to see by his lack of goalkeeping knowhow (while costing Saint Mirren games which he has been doing so far this season) that Young Cornell is not the worlds best goalkeeper.

As for the defenders at the club don't tell me that they are the best we can get for the club.

sort it out

Mr Gilmour before Hearts over take us in the table and the freefall into the first division takes place.

Stevie Thompson needs someone to support him up front I would prefer if that someone has previous at playing in the S.P.L and not some body from a strange eastern european country who would be a cheap alternative,

Edited by stevie-dee

My son is just back from Dingwall.

His first trip away on a bus with his pals.

His description of one of the County goals is that Cornell gave the ball out to McAusland, McAusland gave it straight to a County player and County then scored. Simple as that.

Other comments were that Cornell is useless, he never booted the ball up the park, continually passed to his defence and they then gave the ball away.

He says Saints fans were going bananas, particularly at the continual giving away of possession and loads of abuse was directed at the manager.

Nonetheless he enjoyed his day out. Says his bus was mad. Much more mad than he could ever have expected.

Says the bus convenor was brilliant however and very funny.

My son is just back from Dingwall.

His first trip away on a bus with his pals.

His description of one of the County goals is that Cornell gave the ball out to McAusland, McAusland gave it straight to a County player and County then scored. Simple as that.

Other comments were that Cornell is useless, he never booted the ball up the park, continually passed to his defence and they then gave the ball away.

He says Saints fans were going bananas, particularly at the continual giving away of possession and loads of abuse was directed at the manager.

Nonetheless he enjoyed his day out. Says his bus was mad. Much more mad than he could ever have expected.

Says the bus convenor was brilliant however and very funny.

Cheesy at fault, I hope you told him he's the best defender at the club a future captain and should be playing for Scotland.

Like EK, I agree with you about the lack of ability to switch tactics to 'win ugly'.

I think that is where Danny will succeed or fail by his own doing.

I have no complaints with plan A being to play football the 'right way' but you are spot on about why ICT and RC are picking up points especially against us. The key aspect being our inability to withstand pressure and unfortunately inviting it on us.

I'm not sure it would be as simple though as just changing the manager, as Gus even with him almost being the antithesis of Danny still found this impossible.

Without trying to sound like a broken record it would be great if there was a 5-10 year plan to implement the Saints way of playing football throughout the youth ranks through to the 1st team. However whilst I support trying to play football the right way, adapting to the opposition and being open to being a bit more direct would be a welcome change.

Again though managers make their decisions and succeed or fail by them. I commend Danny for trying it his way, but I completely agree (as many have been saying for over a year) there should be an effective plan B as results over 90mins rather than good performances over 70-80mins earn points!

Cheesy at fault, I hope you told him he's the best defender at the club a future captain and should be playing for Scotland.

I like McAusland. Its not his fault that he is told to pass the ball instead of booting it up the pitch. Its not his fault that the keeper is told to pass it to him in the first place.

However, I'm told that he was on the receiving end of a lot of abuse today as a result of continually giving the ball away.

Like I said, that's not his fault...

I like McAusland. Its not his fault that he is told to pass the ball instead of booting it up the pitch. Its not his fault that the keeper is told to pass it to him in the first place.

However, I'm told that he was on the receiving end of a lot of abuse today as a result of continually giving the ball away.

Like I said, that's not his fault...

It's not his fault that as a professional he is expected to pass and receive the football?

I'm not sure it would be as simple though as just changing the manager, as Gus even with him almost being the antithesis of Danny still found this impossible.

Gus wasn't like Butcher or Adams. He was purely negative and wanted men behind the ball.

Butcher & Adams use attack as the means of defence. They get the ball quickly, get players forward and try to pressure the opposition into mistakes in their own half. Their defensive tactic is keeping the ball out of their own half. Gus' tactic was getting loads of players behind the ball.

That is why ICT & Ross County are top 6 sides while we were bottom 6 under Gus.

It's not his fault that as a professional he is expected to pass and receive the football?

Indeed.

A centre half should never be put in that position. His job is to defend. He job is to clear his lines.

There is no need for a centre half to "receive" a ball with the opposition bearing down on him. Its just stupid. There is no need for a centre half to attempt to pass to another player while under pressure from the opposition. He just needs to get rid of it.