Ross County V St Mirren 24//8/13 League

shull

Gus wasn't like Butcher or Adams. He was purely negative and wanted men behind the ball.

Butcher & Adams use attack as the means of defence. They get the ball quickly, get players forward and try to pressure the opposition into mistakes in their own half. Their defensive tactic is keeping the ball out of their own half. Gus' tactic was getting loads of players behind the ball.

That is why ICT & Ross County are top 6 sides while we were bottom 6 under Gus.

Ok....Isabella Duke for manager it is....knows the lot....why not?

Gus wasn't like Butcher or Adams. He was purely negative and wanted men behind the ball.

Butcher & Adams use attack as the means of defence. They get the ball quickly, get players forward and try to pressure the opposition into mistakes in their own half. Their defensive tactic is keeping the ball out of their own half. Gus' tactic was getting loads of players behind the ball.

That is why ICT & Ross County are top 6 sides while we were bottom 6 under Gus.

I take your point re: Gus, but I think it would take a change in personel also. For example the direct approach would nullify Teale's best qualities.

The problem as highlighted in the above posts is that our style of play doesn't suit our defence and is the source of a significant number of goals conceded and the fatal flaw in Danny's admirable plan.

Hi everyone, my first post. I just felt compelled to share what I thought of today's performance, having been up at the game.

Basically, the entire team had an off-day. I would have given Teale, Grainger and Harkins pass marks in the first half but even these three tailed off badly after the break when heads went down big-time. I don't think we looked particularly clever anywhere on the park, so there were not really a lot of positives to take from the game, regardless of what the manager was trumpeting on the radio after the game (though I swear he just reads from the same prepared script every week anyway!).

Whilst I know Cornell has his detractors, I don't actually believe an awful lot of the blame can be laid at his door today. He couldn't do much more than save the penalty and hope his team-mates got in quick to clear, which they obviously did not. Moreover, as I think has been mentioned, he was left woefully exposed at the third. From following the forum for a while, I know it is hardly original to point out that a lot of woes come from expecting our defenders to always pass out from the back. Today it was particularly noticeable that EVERYONE knows we will do this now, and they close down out awkward-footed defenders who, in turn, sent back 'hospital' backpasses to what they must know by now is a young, inexperienced and nervy keeper. This whole tactic causes us to be too slow going forward as well. I absolutely want our forward players to be creative and make slick passes that create goals. There is no real need for our defenders to ALWAYS replicate this. Moreover, it just slows our attacks down and makes it harder for the likes of McGowan to cut through the other team, as they all get back and crowd us out.

Someone else pointed out that we had too many players who are really centre mids, but they all seem to float out of their adopted positions and do silly ineffective five yard passes to one another around the centre circle. By the time they have done this, we either lose the ball or the forwards and those mids who have got forward have got fed up looking for space and just hang around the D and are tackled. We look best when we get the ball out wide, but have so few players who seem naturally to want to play out there. Moreover, I think Thompson's fed up getting his head on to balls and no-one following in. The one up front carry on could just about work when McLean and Hasselbaink and the likes were quick to come in from midfield to support but this isn't happening and he now just looks isolated.

I don't want to dribble on too much (though sorry if I have.....there's lots more I could say about how some players just didn't seem bothered today, for example!) but I think we are suffering from a combination of rigid adherence to tactics that aren't working and lack of perhaps 2 strikers, another RB, someone to play wide on the left who likes playing there and maybe a central defender! Doubt we will get all that, so I would settle for changing up the tactics and one striker at the least! If nothing is changed, then we will only get the same results and questions will have to be asked.

Cornell was the only player near a pass mark today for me.

Saved the penalty, and was badly let down by his team mates for the goals, and they continued the trend from Inverness of playing short backpasses, they look like they have no confidence in him, but they certainly aren't helping him.

He was comfortable with the ball at his feet, and had no chance with any of the goals.

He's been under a lot of criticism on here, i'm guessing because of the Morton game, and one bad kick out, but he's really doesn't deserve it. The blame firmly rests with the set up of the team.

Goodwin shouldn't be captain, he really can't organise anything, and was shown to be really lacking any defensive capability, especially for centre half.

It was a shambles today, no fight, tactics that don't suit our team and no spirit. Lennon sitting on his arse for the rest of the game after the penalty says it all, doesn't communicate, and really lacks any passion when arguing for decisions with the 4th official.

Hi everyone, my first post. I just felt compelled to share what I thought of today's performance, having been up at the game.

Basically, the entire team had an off-day. I would have given Teale, Grainger and Harkins pass marks in the first half but even these three tailed off badly after the break when heads went down big-time. I don't think we looked particularly clever anywhere on the park, so there were not really a lot of positives to take from the game, regardless of what the manager was trumpeting on the radio after the game (though I swear he just reads from the same prepared script every week anyway!).

Whilst I know Cornell has his detractors, I don't actually believe an awful lot of the blame can be laid at his door today. He couldn't do much more than save the penalty and hope his team-mates got in quick to clear, which they obviously did not. Moreover, as I think has been mentioned, he was left woefully exposed at the third. From following the forum for a while, I know it is hardly original to point out that a lot of woes come from expecting our defenders to always pass out from the back. Today it was particularly noticeable that EVERYONE knows we will do this now, and they close down out awkward-footed defenders who, in turn, sent back 'hospital' backpasses to what they must know by now is a young, inexperienced and nervy keeper. This whole tactic causes us to be too slow going forward as well. I absolutely want our forward players to be creative and make slick passes that create goals. There is no real need for our defenders to ALWAYS replicate this. Moreover, it just slows our attacks down and makes it harder for the likes of McGowan to cut through the other team, as they all get back and crowd us out.

Someone else pointed out that we had too many players who are really centre mids, but they all seem to float out of their adopted positions and do silly ineffective five yard passes to one another around the centre circle. By the time they have done this, we either lose the ball or the forwards and those mids who have got forward have got fed up looking for space and just hang around the D and are tackled. We look best when we get the ball out wide, but have so few players who seem naturally to want to play out there. Moreover, I think Thompson's fed up getting his head on to balls and no-one following in. The one up front carry on could just about work when McLean and Hasselbaink and the likes were quick to come in from midfield to support but this isn't happening and he now just looks isolated.

I don't want to dribble on too much (though sorry if I have.....there's lots more I could say about how some players just didn't seem bothered today, for example!) but I think we are suffering from a combination of rigid adherence to tactics that aren't working and lack of perhaps 2 strikers, another RB, someone to play wide on the left who likes playing there and maybe a central defender! Doubt we will get all that, so I would settle for changing up the tactics and one striker at the least! If nothing is changed, then we will only get the same results and questions will have to be asked.

You've not been following the forum that long if you are worried about that being 'dribble'...

Lennons post match interviews also continue to be cringeworthy.

'Honest players'

'Quality'

'Unlucky'

'Ethos at the club'

He makes it sound like we were unfortunate to be beaten, and not utterly humiliated. I much rather he showed a bit of fight and just said the performance was terrible, the players will be training tomorrow and he'll be changing things in future.

Also the players getting pizza delivered to their bus post match, piss off

'Honest players'

'Quality'

'Unlucky'

'Ethos at the club'

He makes it sound like we were unfortunate to be beaten, and not utterly humiliated. I much rather he showed a bit of fight and just said the performance was terrible, the players will be training tomorrow and he'll be changing things in future.

Is there a Dominos or Pizza Hut in Digwall? Would be an expensive delivery from Inverness...

Is there a Dominos or Pizza Hut in Digwall? Would be an expensive delivery from Inverness...

I believe it was some local pizza company. Between that, the performance and Goodwins crappy apology to the fans post match, i am 'seething'

Goodwin shouldn't be captain, he really can't organise anything, and was shown to be really lacking any defensive capability, especially for centre half.

He was notably quiet, failing to gee his team-mates up, and he and Cheesy hardly looked happy when confronted with only one front man to mark in the second half between them!

'Honest players'

'Quality'

'Unlucky'

'Ethos at the club'

Yeah. He doesn't have to totally slaughter them, but it just makes the manager look daft and lose credibility when he tries to insist that it wasn't a bad performance. Likewise, when we are good, say so. It will carry more weight with the fans, who will see that you know the difference.

I don't blame you or anyone else for being disappointed and angry. As I've said lack of effort even if it was apparent only to the fans is inexcusable and no amount of apologies or platitudes will change that.

I hope it was an off day and the players aren't voting for a new manager with poor performances. I don't think that is the case and even Samson in his interview on BBC Alba said the dressing room spirit was excellent. Therefore I hope the necessary adjustments can be made whether they be new players or tactics. (Again I hope it doesn't take a new manager)

Was his apology so much worse than every other players? Or was he the only one to make the effort to apologize?

The rest walked off after a short applause of us, but Goodwin decided to take it upon himself to raise a hand to apologise, if he really wanted to he could have pulled his finger out, and tried to organise the defence or even attempt to motivate the players during the game.

He really thinks he's better than he is, he needs to be taken down a peg or two, and told to pull the finger out, as well as a few other players.

The rest walked off after a short applause of us, but Goodwin decided to take it upon himself to raise a hand to apologise, if he really wanted to he could have pulled his finger out, and tried to organise the defence or even attempt to motivate the players during the game.

He really thinks he's better than he is, he needs to be taken down a peg or two, and told to pull the finger out, as well as a few other players.

I wasn't there, but I'm really struggling to see how criticism can be aimed at Goodwin for making the effort and apologising to the fans!

Surely that should be aimed at the other players who just went straight down the tunnel?

As you weren't there, I wouldn't make any comments about the game, or the players. Goodwin was one of the worst players today, giving the ball away. Fine he apologised, but that should have been done at HT, as we were so bad. McLean, IMO, was one of the better players in, at least, he had a few wayward shots on goal (no too wayward)

As you weren't there, I wouldn't make any comments about the game, or the players. Goodwin was one of the worst players today, giving the ball away. Fine he apologised, but that should have been done at HT, as we were so bad. McLean, IMO, was one of the better players in, at least, he had a few wayward shots on goal (no too wayward)

I'm not commenting about the game.

Just fail to see how Goodwin attempts at apologising are worse than the rest by all accounts slinking away down the tunnel.

Sometimes I wonder what game Lennon has watched.

He likes to use the match stats as a guage.

OK - so we had. according to the BBC more possession than the opposition - by a massive 1%.

Lennon sees stats like that to be a positive. Personally I could not give a shit if we only had 30% possession in a game but we took our chances and ran out 3-0 winners.

Predictable foreplay with no penetration.

Very true. And Lennon himself hit on why it is nonsensical to do this when he confessed that we had no 'cutting edge'. County did, albeit we helped them along an awful lot! End of story, really.

Wasn't at the game so can't comment on individual performances, errors, or the quality of waved apologies. I have bought tickets for the QoTS game though, what on earrh was I thinking? Sixteen quid and a pile of petrol money could have bought a DVD and a nice Chinese takeaway.

Idiot.

I agree that Goodwin was not particularly good today. At times, he sauntered about looking as if he hadn't a care in the world. At other junctures, he was mis-judging headers and conspiring with Cheesy to make their lone frontman look like a real handful against them! McLean looked lively enough at times, but he seems far too easily brushed off the ball and could perhaps do with bulking up a bit and adding a bit of steel to his game for that reason.

Sometimes I wonder what game Lennon has watched.

He likes to use the match stats as a guage.

OK - so we had. according to the BBC more possession than the opposition - by a massive 1%.

Lennon sees stats like that to be a positive. Personally I could not give a shit if we only had 30% possession in a game but we took our chances and ran out 3-0 winners.

Predictable foreplay with no penetration.

The problem is that a lot of the possession that St. Mirren have is in our own half, fannying about.

The possession the opposition usually have is winning the ball off us in our half!

Lennon is a clown. Who has possession of the ball is irrelevant. What matters is where the ball is! And if the ball spends most of the time in our half then the chances are we will get beaten!