Safe Standing

div

Gates at football matches in Scotland soared after the formation of the SPL. They have been at an historical post 1950s high.

Despite the fact that the late 60s and early 80s were the high points for Scottish football on the field, the gates were awful.

Gates in Scotland per capita are around the highest in Europe. Even the Scottish First Division gets average gates higher than some top flights in Europe!

And the main reason for this incredible increase in gates is seating at football matches.

Its the usual suspects who want a return to standing and alcohol allowed in football grounds. They use words like "atmosphere" when what they really mean is drunken loutish behaviour and shouting abuse at opposition fans and even their fellow supporters.

Standing and alcohol will never return to football grounds in Scotland. Civilisation is here to stay!

Or maybe they're just looking at how good the system in Germany is and fancy a bit of that here.

Or maybe they're just looking at how good the system in Germany is and fancy a bit of that here.

Indeed, fans seem to be at the heart of football in Germany. Not the case here. Maybe things will change as more clubs become fan owned, which seems unlikely at St Mirren, and most of the clubs who are going down that route have suffered severe financial difficulty first.

There is a definite lack of atmosphere at our stadium but I'm not sure a standing area will fix that.

I do believe "atmosphere" can drive a team on so we're missing a trick here in my opinion and it also improves the experience for a lot people.

The diaspora of fans when we'd moved from Love St is key to this in my opinion and I'm sure this was flagged as a concern at the time.

Best way to address it IMO is to have one of the stands (West) set up on a first come first served basis for seats. All the young team could gather together and make as much noise as they like then.

Simple!

(Cue frothing objection from displaced West Stand season ticket holders!)

Just an idea! :-)

Generally, at most foreign grounds, the "singing section" is behind the goals and is standing. The stands down the wings are usually seated.

It usually follows that if you're more interested in singing the whole game you go behind the goals. If you're more interested in watching the game, having a seat & a better view, you'll sit in the stands. At points, the people in the seats will join in with the singing section, but usually the noise will come from the singing section.

If Saints are going to consider anything like this, I would think the best way forward would be to move the family section to main or West stands (unlikely I know) and allow people who're there to create an atmosphere to congregate in the non-reserved seated South Stand.

It's easy to say "If the team are doing well then the atmosphere will get better" but this clearly doesn't happen. The atmosphere is never great at St. Mirren Park. If this is a way to improve it and it's possible to actually do then I'd be happy for it to happen.

I object that you get a better view from the side lines rather than behind the goals. As long as you have ample height the view isn't any different, merely provides a different perspective on the game. I appreciate I'm in the minority here as clearly there are more Main Stand and West Bank regulars than in the Family stand but it is about preference rather than quality of the view.

It is quite simple.....The over reaction to the tragedy of a few grounds has killed our atmosphere. It's always fair play to get health and safety wise but the people who make these decisions look after themselves ....bubble wrap was the call!......Now ...Our BOD will be against any standing as it will cost a fortune!.......Already on record saying so. Not a chance and it is a MAJOR reason for non attendance!..........Germany can do it but we areunable to cause we are fannies.

Edited by reborn saint

There is a definite lack of atmosphere at our stadium but I'm not sure a standing area will fix that.

I do believe "atmosphere" can drive a team on so we're missing a trick here in my opinion and it also improves the experience for a lot people.

The diaspora of fans when we'd moved from Love St is key to this in my opinion and I'm sure this was flagged as a concern at the time.

Best way to address it IMO is to have one of the stands (West) set up on a first come first served basis for seats. All the young team could gather together and make as much noise as they like then.

Simple!

(Cue frothing objection from displaced West Stand season ticket holders!)

Just an idea! :-)

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Aye, definitely.

You'd only need to put rails in for it to be health and safety approved. The current concrete steps fall within the guidelines, so there's no worry there.

I am a fan of putting it in the South Stand. It's a tighter stand - and by using away games as a precedent - people make more noise when they're squashed in together.

You'd only need to put rails in for it to be health and safety approved. The current concrete steps fall within the guidelines, so there's no worry there.

I am a fan of putting it in the South Stand. It's a tighter stand - and by using away games as a precedent - people make more noise when they're squashed in together.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Oh sakes, really? 1eye.gif