Strikers

GMBB

Because the season will be four weeks old this weekend and we are not good enough to give other clubs a head start.

We should have been ready to start our season at the start of the season.

Not about to disagree with that but as I've said before, not one of us has a clue what is happening and why we're in this position.

It's all guesswork and Danny bashing.

I'm pretty sure Danny doesn't want to rely solely on this either which is why he is currently trying to get a striker in.

Let's see what happens.

Too little, too late, in many respects.

Too little, as we really could have been doing with cover for Thompson AND a more mobile/pacy striker.

Too late, as any player we bring in will not have had any pre-season with his new club, could potentially be lacking match fitness, and will possibly be 3rd, 4th, 5th preference behind a player(s) we would/should have brought in a month or more ago.

It remains all ifs and buts, and there's a chance we could still unearth a gem or bring in a solid loan signing, but the crux is that it really should have been addressed before now. I genuinely struggle to see how a compelling argument against this position can be offered.

Edited by Drew

Not about to disagree with that but as I've said before, not one of us has a clue what is happening and why we're in this position.

It's all guesswork and Danny bashing.

It is all guesswork and Danny bashing.

Maybe it's about time that the club were a bit more interactive with the fans so we all understood exactly why we are in this position and what Danny is trying to achieve.

I'm far from convinced about the requirement to everything under wraps.

It seems obvious that with Thommo the only (regular first team) striker in the squad that we were going to have to bring someone else in so why wasn't anything done before now?

The result of keeping everyone in the dark is that it simply gives the impression that Danny doesn't have a clue what he is doing.

Edited by ds10

From Douglas McNeil

As expected. No truth in either Derek Riordan or Mickael Antoine-Curier training or about to sign for St Mirren. Pure fabrication.

Guys if you don't here it from me or Lovezo it aint true. Well done to Dugzo for reading Lovezo PM.

Sit tight

I just don't understand why everyone is panicking at this particular moment.

Just because you say something doesn't male it true, we need a striker who can play as a backup/partner to Thompson everybody knows this. The manager knows this, if anyone is panicking it's DL with his announcement last week that we failed to sign yet another striker after the Campbell deal fell through.

We've missed out on our A & B choice strikers and can only hope that the manager gets lucky and whoever arrives hits the ground running - meanwhile we seem to be pursuing a RB when we have DVZ, and three possible backups Barron, McGregor & Robertson, four if you count Newton although that would require a considerable number of positional movements.

Two of the natural Top Six contenders are not in the running this season and it's frustrating that we seem unprepared to grasp the opportunity - I look forward to the "we can still do it" threads come the new year.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Ideally I'd also like to see at least one other decent experienced striker at the club.

Not a shirt filler though.

So I'm not sure we're actually that far apart in our views.

Mind you I won't lose sleep if we still have this squad after the transfer window shuts.

With one striker? Ha ah your funny. Stjohnstone who play to less crowds than us have four strikers to our one. Do you think we're likely to finish above them?

Got to agree with drew. Danny said in may be had set targets and was talking to them . We had them identified? Well whilst we did that Inverness, Motherwell, Ross county, Dundee united, Kilmarnock, hibs, Partick, Aberdeen and st.johnstone actually went out and did something. They brought in some players. We brought in harkins and grainier but never addressed our major weakness which is the frontline. You need another two strikers if you want to be in with a chance of beating these teams. We have the smallest squad in our spl history and I am afraid results like the killie game again show that we cannot even dream of finishing top six. Please Danny admit it were fighting for tenth and that is it.

Edited by norrie82

• 2 weeks later...

I think we have to be realistic stmirren have a tight budget , danny had to let players go and he hasn't been given finance to get new players in . you cant expect a manager to do well with a limited budget. the directors want to sell stmirren so they have to sell it as a profitable club. what the board are not doing is being honest about this . so the board have to decide I agree back danny or sack him. I think hes doing the best he can with the money he has got.

I think we have to be realistic stmirren have a tight budget , danny had to let players go and he hasn't been given finance to get new players in . you cant expect a manager to do well with a limited budget. the directors want to sell stmirren so they have to sell it as a profitable club. what the board are not doing is being honest about this . so the board have to decide I agree back danny or sack him. I think hes doing the best he can with the money he has got.

Surely they want a profitable club as that was the aim of the takeover all those years ago, not because it makes for a better more profitable sale now?

You obviously don't have a clue. The St Mirren board are St Mirren fans and make every penny available to the manager as they can. The board have put in enough money to keep the club afloat over the years whilst we were drowning in debt.

Football is no longer profitable, it's about breaking even. If it was profitable the club would have sold the club a long time ago. I bet you will be looking back a good few years to see any profit going above the £50,000 mark.

P.S - How the f'k do you know that Danny has not got the same budget as last year (excluding the EXTRA players we got in during January as a result of guaranteed income from Semi Final)