Strikers

GMBB

This.

This is a guy who could potentially have featured regularly for his country, played in the Champions League with Celtic, and sorted himself out financially for life before the age of 30.

Anyone who thinks that he would move to St Mirren and miraculously turn his life around is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land. Don't get me wrong, I try not to write people off out of hand, but I would strongly object to our club taking a chance on a waster like this when young lads who deserve a genuine chance would be sidelined as a result.

It would suit the young lads well NOT to be introduced before time and had another top flight season to break through when they might be better equiped to handle the pressures. At least better that than either plying their trade in the second tier or discarded due to diminishing finances.

It would suit the young lads well NOT to be introduced before time and had another top flight season to break through when they might be better equiped to handle the pressures. At least better that than either plying their trade in the second tier or discarded due to diminishing finances.

What would it say to those lads that a clown like Riordan would be given a game ahead of them despite his baggage?

Nah, all wrong.

It would suit the young lads well NOT to be introduced before time and had another top flight season to break through when they might be better equiped to handle the pressures.

Sorry but I don't agree with this.

They may be young but every one of them is a full grown man now.

It's time for them to get their chance.

More than old enough.

If they can't cope with the pressure now they probably never will.

Can't keep wrapping young men in cotton wool.

Kick them out of the nest, give them a chance, don't fecking boo them when they make mistakes and let's see where they get to in a year.

What would it say to those lads that a clown like Riordan would be given a game ahead of them despite his baggage?

Nah, all wrong.

I agree but if Danny thinks any affordable and available striker will get us 10 or more goals without causing complete chaos in the dressing room then I trust his judgement.

It's what most have been screaming for. I don't know if we can also be precious about who we choose.

FWIW I would personally still want to see the young lads given a shot even if we sign someone like Riordan.

Edited by oaksoft

More than old enough.

Kick them out of the nest, give them a chance, don't fecking boo them when they make mistakes and let's see where they get to in a year.

If we were likely to end the season mid table then I would say yes but I don't think we can afford to rely purely on our young, "inhouse" strikers. Midfielders are a bit easier to introduce without too much adverse effects.

If we were likely to end the season mid table then I would say yes but I don't think we can afford to rely purely on our young, "inhouse" strikers. Midfielders are a bit easier to introduce without too much adverse effects.

We aren't relying on them purely. We have Thommo. We should also be expecting midfield to be picking up goals too.

Sorry but there is NEVER a good time to bring these youngsters in.

Each league placing is worth a fortune.

At some point in life you need to take risks.

Now is as good as any other time with Hearts light years behind us.

That should buy us at least 10 games.

We aren't relying on them purely. We have Thommo. We should also be expecting midfield to be picking up goals too.

Sorry but there is NEVER a good time to bring these youngsters in.

Each league placing is worth a fortune.

At some point in life you need to take risks.

Now is as good as any other time with Hearts light years behind us.

That should buy us at least 10 games.

Do you see the crowd remaining happy to just come along so long as hearts are crap which by the way they're not. They have a young team of potential. I think saying we have thommo is incredibly naive too cos we could lose him to suspension or even worse injury. You may be happy to sit tight and hope for the best but most folk involved in football have to make it happen and Danny needs players coming in and fast

Danny needs players coming in and fast

You are missing the point yet again in your desire to stick the knife into our team.

I and many like me, are prepared to WAIT and see what happens rather than soil my pants every day and scream like a spoilt kid for 4 fecking months.

I'm genuinely interested - do you seriously believe Danny needs you and a few others to tell him this?

Or are you just annoyed because he doesn't personally contact you to keep you up to date and check for your blessing?

Edited by oaksoft

I've always agreed with the old adage, "if they are good enough, they are old enough", but the ctirical point is, as you say, not to get on their backs and give them dog's abuse for the odd stray pass.

History is littered with young players who were successful when given their chance by forward thinking managers. I know our lads don't draw direct comparison with the likes of Whiteside, Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Neville and etc., but then St Mirren don't draw direct comparison with Man U either. I'd like to see what our kids can do given the chance.

Having said that, I'd still like to see another experienced striker signed soon. The young players develop better if they can learn technique from players who have run the course and distance. Reilly for instance can only benefit from playing alongside Thompson and studying what he does off the ball.

I think he would learn all the wrong things off the park from Riorden though. Of the options listed by GlenburnSaint I'd prefer David Healy.

I've always agreed with the old adage, "if they are good enough, they are old enough", but the ctirical point is, as you say, not to get on their backs and give them dog's abuse for the odd stray pass.

History is littered with young players who were successful when given their chance by forward thinking managers. I know our lads don't draw direct comparison with the likes of Whiteside, Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Neville and etc., but then St Mirren don't draw direct comparison with Man U either. I'd like to see what our kids can do given the chance.

Having said that, I'd still like to see another experienced striker signed soon. The young players develop better if they can learn technique from players who have run the course and distance. Reilly for instance can only benefit from playing alongside Thompson and studying what he does off the ball.

I think he would learn all the wrong things off the park from Riorden though. Of the options listed by GlenburnSaint I'd prefer David Healy.

Ideally I'd also like to see at least one other decent experienced striker at the club.

Not a shirt filler though.

So I'm not sure we're actually that far apart in our views.

Mind you I won't lose sleep if we still have this squad after the transfer window shuts.

Ideally I'd also like to see at least one other decent experienced striker at the club.

Mind you I won't lose sleep if we still have this squad after the transfer window shuts.

... and if the window shuts with this squad, then Thommo' suffers a 'Ryan Stevenson'? Counting sheep might help... Or midfielders.

Fergie had about 6 players 21 or under when he won the 1st division with saints 76/77

They may be young but every one of them is a full grown man

More than old enough.

I agree 100% they should be ready .

Sadly,i think thats the view of a lot of our fans,couldnt care less,zero ambition.And no doubt when Thompson gets injured and we cant buy a goal you will be the first to jump on the "Lennon must go" bandwagon

You are missing the point yet again in your desire to stick the knife into our team.

I and many like me, are prepared to WAIT and see what happens rather than soil my pants every day and scream like a spoilt kid for 4 fecking months.

I'm genuinely interested - do you seriously believe Danny needs you and a few others to tell him this?

Or are you just annoyed because he doesn't personally contact you to keep you up to date and check for your blessing?

You really are an obnoxious little turd

More than old enough.

In most cases, young players tend to be inconsistent. Inexperience is a possible reason but, if a manager doesn't have the option to "rest" a lad when this happens, it could seriously impact on that players developement.

Yes. I would love it if our gems shone for the entire campaign but I don't want Danny to rely soley on this happening.

That for me would be tantamount top not having a "plan B".

... and if the window shuts with this squad, then Thommo' suffers a 'Ryan Stevenson'? Counting sheep might help... Or midfielders.

There's absolutely no point in debating that at the moment because we still have time before the window shuts.

I just don't understand why everyone is panicking at this particular moment.

In most cases, young players tend to be inconsistent. Inexperience is a possible reason but, if a manager doesn't have the option to "rest" a lad when this happens, it could seriously impact on that players developement.

Yes. I would love it if our gems shone for the entire campaign but I don't want Danny to rely soley on this happening.

That for me would be tantamount top not having a "plan B".

I'm pretty sure Danny doesn't want to rely solely on this either which is why he is currently trying to get a striker in.

Let's see what happens.

There's absolutely no point in debating that at the moment because we still have time before the window shuts.

I just don't understand why everyone is panicking at this particular moment.

Because the season will be four weeks old this weekend and we are not good enough to give other clubs a head start.

We should have been ready to start our season at the start of the season.