Paul Dummet

fmckinn

Watched the game - thought Dummett was Newcastle's best player. Thrown into the lion's den with ten men? He made three or four tackles on City's new pacy wide man and was never beaten for pace. He got forward and sidestepped two City defenders in the box and nearly got a shot away. In fact, the commentators said Dummett was the only bright spot on a dark night for Newcastle.

Finally, Steven Taylor is a braindead wanker.

Watched the game - thought Dummett was Newcastle's best player. Thrown into the lion's den with ten men? He made three or four tackles on City's new pacy wide man and was never beaten for pace. He got forward and sidestepped two City defenders in the box and nearly got a shot away. In fact, the commentators said Dummett was the only bright spot on a dark night for Newcastle.

Finally, Steven Taylor is a braindead wanker.

Paul Dummett .........St Mirren hero..........Strange Newcastle need him now?......Relegation Newcastle.

From today's Guardian re the small number of English players in the EPL.

Pardew has high hopes that one young Englishman, Paul Dummett, a left-back from Gosforth, the same Newcastle suburb that produced Alan Shearer, will make at least 10 appearances for his side this season. Nearly 22, Dummett, who has played for Wales Under-21s on account of his father's birth in the principality but remains eligible to play for England, was virtually invisible at St James' Park until a loan stint at St Mirren last season. "We kept getting good reports," Pardew said. "So we watched him play against Celtic and he was the best player on the pitch."

Though Dummett made his debut as a first-half substitute against Manchester City tonight, his problem is that if Italy's Davide Santon – a former José Mourinho favourite in his Internazionale days – is not fit to operate at left-back, France's Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa can fill in, as can the highly rated Massadio Haïdara. "For a player to break into my team past Santon they have to really believe in their ability," Pardew said. "But you can sense Paul's starting to think he's as good as Santon. That makes him a candidate.

"We are now focusing our academy very much on local players rather than searching the world for youngsters. We want to maximise the ability in our area so to have Dummett come through is just brilliant. It sends out an important message."

I feared for him last night. Coming in to the game at 2-0 down, with 10 men and against Navas, I thought he was on a hiding to nothing. Fair do's to him though, he fitted in well, did his defending and got forward when the chance was there.

From today's Guardian re the small number of English players in the EPL.

Pardew has high hopes that one young Englishman, Paul Dummett, a left-back from Gosforth, the same Newcastle suburb that produced Alan Shearer, will make at least 10 appearances for his side this season. Nearly 22, Dummett, who has played for Wales Under-21s on account of his father's birth in the principality but remains eligible to play for England, was virtually invisible at St James' Park until a loan stint at St Mirren last season. "We kept getting good reports," Pardew said. "So we watched him play against Celtic and he was the best player on the pitch."

Though Dummett made his debut as a first-half substitute against Manchester City tonight, his problem is that if Italy's Davide Santon – a former José Mourinho favourite in his Internazionale days – is not fit to operate at left-back, France's Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa can fill in, as can the highly rated Massadio Haïdara. "For a player to break into my team past Santon they have to really believe in their ability," Pardew said. "But you can sense Paul's starting to think he's as good as Santon. That makes him a candidate.

"We are now focusing our academy very much on local players rather than searching the world for youngsters. We want to maximise the ability in our area so to have Dummett come through is just brilliant. It sends out an important message."

I feared for him last night. Coming in to the game at 2-0 down, with 10 men and against Navas, I thought he was on a hiding to nothing. Fair do's to him though, he fitted in well, did his defending and got forward when the chance was there.

As much as I love to read good things in the national press about our beloved club, does anyone know which game against Celtic was Dummett the best player on the pitch?