Wheelchair Access Coaches

Hi there

As many of you will know I am a wheelchair bound saints supporter I was on a coach to London last week for the Scotland game and was talking to the driver who advised there is a new law for all coaches needing to have wheelchair access by the end of the year and he advised most coaches on the road already have this.

So a was just wondering if any of the travel club organisers were aware of the coach they use has wheelchair access on them I've always wanted to be part of a supporters bus but not been able to so just wanted to check

Cheers

Kevin

I don't know about wheelchair access on the coaches, but there are a few disabled guys and their wheelchairs travel to away matches. If you fancy an away trip on a supporters bus, I'd advise you to contact a supporters bus convener and ask them about going to a game. I'm sure you'd be most welcome to travel with them

I don't know about wheelchair access on the coaches, but there are a few disabled guys and their wheelchairs travel to away matches. If you fancy an away trip on a supporters bus, I'd advise you to contact a supporters bus convener and ask them about going to a game. I'm sure you'd be most welcome to travel with them

Hi

Yeah a know of a few disabled fans who use the buses but unfortunately I am unable to get out my chair to get carried up the stairs etc which is I believe how others travel

I just thought I would post it here as I know a lot of the supporters clubs use this to advertise etc

Cheers

Kevin

Hi

Yeah a know of a few disabled fans who use the buses but unfortunately I am unable to get out my chair to get carried up the stairs etc which is I believe how others travel

I just thought I would post it here as I know a lot of the supporters clubs use this to advertise etc

Cheers

Kevin

We just paid 33.6k for a wheelchair accessible bus for our daycare centre.

Our local community transport has two fairly new busses... neither of which have wheelchair access. I find that appalling and staggering.

We just paid 33.6k for a wheelchair accessible bus for our daycare centre.

Our local community transport has two fairly new busses... neither of which have wheelchair access. I find that appalling and staggering.

That is ridiculous as said according to the driver all companies need to hand wheelchair access coaches by the end of this year so was just wondering if the companies supporters buses use already have then

We have a wheelchair user who is a member of our bus and has been for many years, With the help of the members we get him on and off the bus with no probs, and the driver is always very helpful, But I do know it difficult for you Kev and really hope the coaches do get wheelchair access, But if you wanna try our bus your always welcome. I will find out from Southern Coaches if they have any plans for this in the future and let you know in due course bud,

Edited by santaponsasaint

Hi there

As many of you will know I am a wheelchair bound saints supporter I was on a coach to London last week for the Scotland game and was talking to the driver who advised there is a new law for all coaches needing to have wheelchair access by the end of the year and he advised most coaches on the road already have this.

So a was just wondering if any of the travel club organisers were aware of the coach they use has wheelchair access on them I've always wanted to be part of a supporters bus but not been able to so just wanted to check

Cheers

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Don't think our bus (Cockles Wilson / Bull Inn) has wheelchair access as such, however Stripey from this forum is a regular traveller with us and is a wheelchair user. He does have very limited mobility, but the guys are always willing to help him get on and off the coach. You'd be more than welcome.

We have a wheelchair user who is a member of our bus and has been for many years, With the help of the members we get him on and off the bus with no probs, and the driver is always very helpful, But I do know it difficult for you Kev and really hope the coaches do get wheelchair access, But if you wanna try our bus your always welcome.

Beat me to it Gary!

Yeah I know that offer has always been there from your bus and has always been appreciated just unfortunately isn't possible for me with my condition (brittle bones) so can only really travel without leaving my chair

To be honest I only asked as the information I was given regarding all coaches having to change soon so a thought may aswell ask

Really appreciate everyone who has replied either with suggestions or answers

And to all bus organisers if / when the coaches are forced to change to wheelchair accessible ones please let me know as a can assure u I would not miss a game.

Cheers

Kevin

Yeah I know that offer has always been there from your bus and has always been appreciated just unfortunately isn't possible for me with my condition (brittle bones) so can only really travel without leaving my chair

To be honest I only asked as the information I was given regarding all coaches having to change soon so a thought may aswell ask

Really appreciate everyone who has replied either with suggestions or answers

And to all bus organisers if / when the coaches are forced to change to wheelchair accessible ones please let me know as a can assure u I would not miss a game.

Cheers

Kevin

See what can find out from Southern mate, See you at the next home game.

Hi there

Cheers

Kevin

AFAIK such a law applies only to coaches taking 22 or more passengers AND on coaches running a local or regular service, which would exclude fan coaches?

Or maybe it's a Scottish Govt law?

AFAIK such a law applies only to coaches taking 22 or more passengers AND on coaches running a local or regular service, which would exclude fan coaches?

Or maybe it's a Scottish Govt law?

Tbh am not really up on the law just what the driver to London said and is supporters buses not more than 22 people ?

Tbh am not really up on the law just what the driver to London said and is supporters buses not more than 22 people ?

It may do but is such a journey regarded as a local or regular service?

I would think not.

I know "drivers to London" - their service would indeed qualify under those provisions, but I doubt they (like me) can speak with broad brush authority on the subject wrt other types of bus services.

I'm simply suggesting you don't raise your hopes too high.

I drive (smaller) busses. None of them have wheelchair access. There are more busses being bought: none of them have such access. The company has no plans to buy any.

Edited by bluto

Hi there

Cheers

Kevin

Hi Kevin

You will find this site useful. Unfortunately the law will not apply to supporters buses.(Public Service Vehicle Accessibility Regulations 2000 )(PVSAR) allowing access on the vehicle for disabled passengers.

It may do but is such a journey regarded as a local or regular service?

I would think not.

I know "drivers to London" - their service would indeed qualify under those provisions, but I doubt they (like me) can speak with broad brush authority on the subject wrt other types of bus services.

I'm simply suggesting you don't raise your hopes too high.

I drive (smaller) busses. None of them have wheelchair access. There are more busses being bought: none of them have such access. The company has no plans to buy any.

To be honest mate the point of this topic was not to question bus companies drivers of local law it was merely to check if any of the buses now had wheelchair access due to recent travel on a coach I had been on

Would agree enteierely with whats been said by all and certainly with E=Mc2 that thier should be a bus company that is willing and able to provide wheelchair access buses, it certainly would give that company a boost as far as PR goes but the sad reality is that it is cost prohibative.

Surely, there must be a bus company out there who is willing to put on a supporters bus that has the facility to bring a wheelchair on board without having to decant the user from their chair?

http://www.accesstravel-scotland.co.uk/disabled-travel.php

Edited to add link