Drugs, Mules Or Fools?

faraway saint

Subjective judgements..? what if your son/daughter/young relative gets hooked on the filth these wee lassies were shifting..?

I might give some thought to their level of responsiblity in taking the stuff in the first place, look at how I brought them up etc., or perhaps even consider it as one of their own bungles.

Are you usually so quick to absolve all drug addicts of personal responsiblity?

Guest somner9

I might give some thought to their level of responsiblity in taking the stuff in the first place, look at how I brought them up etc., or perhaps even consider it as one of their own bungles.

Are you usually so quick to absolve all drug addicts of personal responsiblity?

Naw.... f**k'em as well....

We've all been there...

Did you pack these bags yourself?

- Yes.

Have they been in your posession at all times?

- Yes.

Has anyone asked you to take anything in your luggage for them?

- Yes. Cocaine with an estimated street value of 1.5 million pounds.

Boosh, job done. Next stop the hotel pool. Happy holidays.

Guest somner9

We've all been there...

Did you pack these bags yourself?

- Yes.

Have they been in your posession at all times?

- Yes.

Has anyone asked you to take anything in your luggage for them?

- Yes. Just these poorly sealed iffy looking bags of Savoury Rice filled with Cocaine with an estimated street value of 1.5 million pounds.

Boosh, job done. Next stop the hotel pool. Happy holidays.

FIFY

Get a grip.

Here is one example. People getting into the driving seat of their car after having too much to drink.

I suspect quite a few people on here have done it. Not all would have been caught, of course, but many will have done it nonetheless.

If you think about it, the consequences of driving when under the influence can be catastrophic. Even when caught, though, the likely punishment is a year's ban and a £300 fine or thereabouts. Hard lesson? Hmm. Bungle? Well yes, though that would hardly describe it if an RTA resulted with fatalities the consequence.

Let's not kid ourselves on here. Many of us have f**ked up, and quite seriously.

....and where people have done so and been caught they should accept the consequences.

If you get away with it you consider yourself VERY lucky.

Getting caught drink driving should bring a mandatory life ban from driving and a minimum 12 months in jail. The consequences of disaster are way too severe to be writing this off as a typical "mistake".

Drink driving isn't the actions of a dafty or a numpty or a silly wee kid.

It's the actions of a criminally negligent self-interested c**t.

Edited by oaksoft

Get a grip.

Here is one example. People getting into the driving seat of their car after having too much to drink.

I suspect quite a few people on here have done it. Not all would have been caught, of course, but many will have done it nonetheless.

If you think about it, the consequences of driving when under the influence can be catastrophic. Even when caught, though, the likely punishment is a year's ban and a £300 fine or thereabouts. Hard lesson? Hmm. Bungle? Well yes, though that would hardly describe it if an RTA resulted with fatalities the consequence.

Let's not kid ourselves on here. Many of us have f**ked up, and quite seriously. Maybe you are in the squeeky-clean 'minority', but you wouldn't have to look too far to find others who have erred. It happens, and if you don't accept that, you're kidding yourself on.

Nope think its just youlol.gif

Not sure why anyone can get so wound up about it that you all start abusing each other.

You have differing opinions, no need to call each other cunts.

Most teenagers don't listen to adults, no wonder from reading the pish in this thread. I don't doubt they knew what they were doing, they took a fairly massive gamble and lost out, unlucky. They have made a mistake and it will cost them a long part of their lives, it's actually pretty sad, but entirely their own fault. However why anyone would take pleasure from that I don't know, maybe you have been badly affected by drugs or cartels or maybe just never invited to go on an 18-30 holiday and still bitter about it.

Personally I do think 20 years is excessive however can understand the length of the sentence is meant to be a deterrent (similar to why Isma got extended suspension for diving). I do think the world has a fairly weird stance on drugs and think the approach could be changed, it wasn't that long ago people used to get jailed for smuggling whisky into America.

I don't doubt they knew what they were doing, they took a fairly massive gamble and lost out, unlucky. They have made a mistake and it will cost them a long part of their lives, it's actually pretty sad, but entirely their own fault.

Sums things up perfectly.

I have very mixed feelings on this subject. Drug addiction and abuse is a very serious and complex issue, and not one that can be solved by flippant and throwaway remarks. My own older cousin whom I absolutely adored and idolised and was one of my best friends died of a heroin overdose a number of years ago aged just 22. Had any of you known or met her in her teens shortly afterward you would have said that she was one of the least likely people you could ever imagine getting mixed up in that sort of thing. She was very bright and hard working, achieved a good set of exam passes at school and had a stable job after finishing her course at college. It simply isn't as simple as saying 'well they shouldn't have taken it then'. So many circumstances come into play with these types of issues, and a severe ignorance is often displayed by many on this issue who seem to think the matter is simple. It is not.

So I have a conflict in my mind on this issue. On one hand, I think that the law should come down like a tonne of bricks on any attempts to smuggle illegal drugs of this nature, as their continued existence causes such heartache to so many individuals and families. On the other hand, I also am of the opinion that indeed these young ladies are adults, but I interact with dozens of people of this age bracket (17 - 23) on a daily basis at my work and can safely say that it is often only by their final year of studies (i.e. by the time they are in that 21+ age group) that they really develop any kind of what I would deem to be maturity in terms of their broad outlook. That's not to say they are not intelligent, but knowledge - understanding is a completely different thing from emotional intelligence and maturity. It is very sad that they have ruined what is likely to be close to if not more than a decade of their own young lives by getting involved in such an activity.

On balance I think that the example of the law coming down harshly on their actions can only be a good thing, with the high profile nature of the case acting as a deterrent to other young people. Just a shame that the girls in question did what they did. I feel sorry for their families.

7 years in a peruvian jail, back out to shit out 4 child benefit kids in a cooncil hoose, its a great life isn't it. laugh.png their time in ibiza kicking the arse out of it has really paid hasn't it?happy.png

The biggest thing they will be thinking about now is a baccy and drug supply for their sentence ahead.

Oh right, you know them personally. Sorry, my apologies.....

Subjective judgements..? what if your son/daughter/young relative gets hooked on the filth these wee lassies were shifting..?

Would you see there cross continent supply trips as youthful bungles then..? c'mon this isn't getting in a fight, knicking a motor, smashing a window.... it's mafia-style organised crime and thes egirls were in it for profit at many others expense and misery....

As stated above, there's a bit of personal resonsibility involved on the taker's part.

What about the rest of their body parts?ph34r.png

DAMN! Beat me to it.

Zurich Allan,

I don't think fans posting on here are being flippant about anyone with drug problems - the discussion is sticking to the case of these two and their seemingly fabricated Colombian drug barons made us do it defence.

With one of the women being from Glasgow, it was always going to attract the kind of comment I have indeed made myself. You'll read the same sort of flippant forum nonsense on any number of threads - say, Jimmy Saville. I would wager that none of those flippant comments or jokes were designed to mock Saville's victims or that anyone making them thought what he did was OK.

Many forum users have personal experince of the many issues discussed on here. My own issue recently was mis-representation in the printed press. I highlighted the complete twisting of facts in what should have been simple stories about the Inverness 'flag day' and the Final Chapter book. More seriously of course was a full page story which was a complete fabrication based on the word of an employee at my wife's work, who simply wanted to create a stir during industrial action at her work.

Others on here have been directly affected by issues such as drink driving or any number of issues - all of which I'm sure have had flippant remarks or jokes made about them in the course of forum posting. I am absolutely sure in this thread, no offence was intended to the victims of drug abuse - as you end up saying yourself, on balance, the law needs to come down hard on them - if convicted of course. The Colombian drug lord made us do it defence might just work, but then again, DFS might have a sofa sale on this bank holiday weekend.

Poz, I agree with everything you've said. With drugs though it is a very difference viewpoint taken across society as compared to alcohol, I've seen it so often, one of the major problems is that when these issues are mentioned a lot of people have the mistaken assumption or vision of drug abusers being solely the traditional 'junkie', and whilst a lot of them of course are, there are a high proportion of ordinary people from a 'normal' (if there is such a thing) background and upbringing that end up mixed up in issues, often through getting with the wrong person, or joining a new circle of friends through a social scene or work colleague etc.

With some of those there are background issues, with others it is simply being young, curious, and with that 'invincible' attitude that many youngsters have. With some of these drugs, it is possible to become addicted after an incredibly short period of time in comparison to many other substances such as alcohol that take a long time to develop a dependence on. The problem then is that even with the best support in the world, and the individual themselves literally crying out to become clean, it can still be an incredibly uphill battle that isn't always possible to win.

It's a very sad state of affairs all round, and people often forget that they're not just talking about a single situation, but talking about people. Whether it's an addict or a mule. Those people have done something that is indeed incredibly stupid. Some pay the price by inadvertantly destroying their families, some pay the price by doing prison time, others sadly pay the price with their lives.

Personally, although many can, I cannot separate an incident from also thinking about a person's whole life though. I don't know enough about the Peruvian legal system to know the intricacies of it, but certainly in the UK I'm glad that our legal system does to an extent recognise this by having background reports and mitigation as factors in sentencing. I don't think 'those poor girls', however since the media coverage began many things have gone through my mind - 'I wonder what they're home life was like - was it normal and supportive or was it disfunctional?', 'I wonder who a decade ago could have predicted when they were 8 - 10 year old girls playing with their friends or at school, that now when their lives should be just beginning, they would be banged up in a jail in Peru?'. I've looked at other young children of friends and family in the past couple of weeks and thought 'If the same thing happened to them in 10-15 years time, could I have the heart to just condem and write them off?'

I can sense I'm beginning to ramble here, and maybe I look too deeply into these things, but I'm just not comfortable with how easily some people do seem able to make many comments I've read in the various response comments across the media. It just seems callous to me. That said, I can also recognise that I am perhaps too close to the issue, and that it's in my nature to always quetion things. Not everybody else is in that same situation.