Super Saints V Maryhill Magyars League 31/8/13

shull

Hopefully you will sell out and have overflow in the west stand. Decent atmosphere and we can be thankful that we have Jags & Killie twice at home and Caley and RC only once at home before the split from a cash flow point of view.

Looked on the Thistle forum, supporters bus charging a tenner from Jordanhill Station your taking the piss with that one!!

We've done we'll out the home And away fixtures too with county and caley only coming to firhill once.

Would love if we sold into the west stand. Is that how much the jordanhill bus are charging non members? Bloody hell.

My phones been going wild with all the lads wanting to know where they're meeting me for an early Swally.

You know all this "In depth" detail from what exactly? Two games?

Jeesus, they have played less than a handful of SPL games, hence the unknown quantity tag.

I certainly don't take them lightly, Christ right now I wouldn't take Arbroath lightly, but IF we play well we should beat them, IMO.

As I said, this game is, right now, a seriously important game for us as a club.

Forget all the personal shite aimed at the manager that seems to be the main aim from some, for the sake of our SPL survival, and any clown who suggest relegation might not be a bad thing is living on the wrong planet, we need 3 points.

Of course we should beat Thistle. We are a bigger club at home to a smaller club and our players are far better and far more experienced than theirs are.

Even without focussing on the bigger picture and the wider context of this game and potential ramifications for our club, anything less than 3 points on Saturday is simply not good enough.

I will always expect us to beat teams like Partick Thistle, Morton, ICT, Ross County, St Johnstone, Falkirk etc in Paisley regardless of the wider scenario. These are smaller clubs than ours and they should not be leaving Paisley with points.

Perhaps my expectations are too high and perhaps they could be seen as arrogant, i feel they are justified. We are a fantastic football club with a history and tradition teams like the above mentioned can only dream of.

We as fans of St Mirren have every right to be expecting our team to beat teams like Partick Thistle and similar at home every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I hope I never settle for less.

Of course we should beat Thistle. We are a bigger club at home to a smaller club and our players are far better and far more experienced than theirs are.

Even without focussing on the bigger picture and the wider context of this game and potential ramifications for our club, anything less than 3 points on Saturday is simply not good enough.

I will always expect us to beat teams like Partick Thistle, Morton, ICT, Ross County, St Johnstone, Falkirk etc in Paisley regardless of the wider scenario. These are smaller clubs than ours and they should not be leaving Paisley with points.

Perhaps my expectations are too high and perhaps they could be seen as arrogant, i feel they are justified. We are a fantastic football club with a history and tradition teams like the above mentioned can only dream of.

We as fans of St Mirren have every right to be expecting our team to beat teams like Partick Thistle and similar at home every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I hope I never settle for less.

Indeed, a season of expectation. whistling.gif

I try not to mix up "expect" and "hope", but 40 years experience can cause cynicism to creep up on you unawares.

I always think "expecting" to win is exclusively an OF trait.

I believe we have the ability to win... but I "expect" my team to do their level best, nothing more.

On that sole expectation I have been let down recently. I don't know how you cope with your higher "expectations" bud.

I try not to mix up "expect" and "hope", but 40 years experience can cause cynicism to creep up on you unawares.

I always think "expecting" to win is exclusively an OF trait.

I believe we have the ability to win... but I "expect" my team to do their level best, nothing more.

On that sole expectation I have been let down recently. I don't know how you cope with your higher "expectations" bud.

This is the first league game I've went into this season expecting a win. I never expected us to go up to the highlands and win, I never expected us to capitulate like we did right enough but I never expected us to win. Also never expected a win at home to Killie as we are similar sized clubs.

In Paisley to a team like Thistle though? Am I wrong to expect a win? Depressing times if I am. Like I said, I hope I never go into a game like this not expecting a victory.

Edited by Lex

There will be a massive away support, probably close to 2,000 and a reasonable home support. It has the making for a great atmosphere and entertaining game.

Let's all put the bad start to the season, people's frustrations with certain players and the manager to one side and back the team from start to finish on Saturday. It's our club so let's back the team as much as we possibly can. This is what being a St Mirren supporter is all about, supporting the team when they most need us. It worked at Hampden (twice).;-)

Edited by Mr Zo

I might be a sadist but I am really looking forward to this one.I will be driving down from Arrochar with my grandson for his first ever Saints game.We will meet up with his Mum,Uncle ,Aunt and get a team photo taken for the family album.Down to the field of dreams we will go and in years to come he can tell his own children that he attended his first game before his second birthday(yes I know he wont remember it but who cares).I don't remember my first game but it was against Clyde when Archie Gemmell became the first sub in Scottish football. He can sing Oh When The Saints from start to finish and runs about kicking a ball shouting come on St Mirren.His other party piece is we love you Thommo.Have we brainwashed him.You bet your life we have.

Get right behind the team on Saturday and lets roar them to victory.United we stand divided we fall.Come on you Saints.

I hope you do go 4/4/2 and play harkins upfront.

Why - it's the formation you will face against viartualy every other team in the league. I'm only using Harkins in the absence of another striker who may well appear before Saturday. He is a neat tidy player who knows how to score and as an out and out striker he wouldn't need to track back as much which is the one area most seem to criticise him for. Best option we have if we don't sign anyone and I'm certain him and big Thommo would keep your defenders on their toes.

Why - it's the formation you will face against viartualy every other team in the league. I'm only using Harkins in the absence of another striker who may well appear before Saturday. He is a neat tidy player who knows how to score and as an out and out striker he wouldn't need to track back as much which is the one area most seem to criticise him for. Best option we have if we don't sign anyone and I'm certain him and big Thommo would keep your defenders on their toes.

Where to start!!!

ok, i'll bite...

first off, yes, he wont track back, so does that mean Thommo will do all the tracking back and leave him upfront on his own?

imagine you counter attck, would you rather have harkins with the ball breaking from the box looking for a pass into space, or harkins as the man upfront?

you are aware that Harkins best assett is his ability to find a pinpoint pass into space for attackers to run onto? why the hell would you make him a forward, removing his ability to use his strongest assett.

he has never been an out and out striker, when he signed for thistle he was a centre half, McCall moved him into midfield, since then he has played either in the middle or left hand side of midfield. i'd suggest even playing him behind the striker is a waste. he needs players infront of him, not behind him.

regarding 4-4-2, i couldn't care less what teams play against us, we attack with 6 or 7 bodies and defend with 6. we are probably the youngest and fittest team in the league. modern football has moved on from 4-4-2.

but hey, you guys batter in, play your 442 with Harkins isolated from the action. i bloody hope that happens.

Where to start!!!

ok, i'll bite...

first off, yes, he wont track back, so does that mean Thommo will do all the tracking back and leave him upfront on his own?

imagine you counter attck, would you rather have harkins with the ball breaking from the box looking for a pass into space, or harkins as the man upfront?

you are aware that Harkins best assett is his ability to find a pinpoint pass into space for attackers to run onto? why the hell would you make him a forward, removing his ability to use his strongest assett.

he has never been an out and out striker, when he signed for thistle he was a centre half, McCall moved him into midfield, since then he has played either in the middle or left hand side of midfield. i'd suggest even playing him behind the striker is a waste. he needs players infront of him, not behind him.

regarding 4-4-2, i couldn't care less what teams play against us, we attack with 6 or 7 bodies and defend with 6. we are probably the youngest and fittest team in the league. modern football has moved on from 4-4-2. 

but hey, you guys batter in, play your 442 with Harkins isolated from the action. i bloody hope that happens.

Great post.

Are you available for transfer?

More teams will play with a lone striker than 442 this season.

Great post.

Are you available for transfer?

More teams will play with a lone striker than 442 this season.

Are you kidding?

when i go into The Star on a match day, my mates all say, oh here's Dave, come to see your second team, are st mirren away from home today?

i just get frustrated at people who sit and watch football every week, and actually don't understand the game.

the other night i was discussing Teale coming off, on twitter. i decribed it as a like for like sub done to protect him ahead of saturday, to be put down and told that the new boy that came on is a defender.... i then come on here to see Lennon getting pelters for signing another midfielder....

Where to start!!!

ok, i'll bite...

regarding 4-4-2, i couldn't care less what teams play against us, we attack with 6 or 7 bodies and defend with 6. we are probably the youngest and fittest team in the league. modern football has moved on from 4-4-2.

Good analysis, IMHO game will be won or lost (on the pitch) in the wide areas. The question will be asked between Saints wide men up front and Thistles pacey full backs.

It will also be won or lost in the Stands, support the vocally from the off, (including those in the dugout) and the 3 points are there for us, Barak and Boo from the off......could be a very different story.

A full away stand with a vocal support need to be quietened by 3 full stands shouting and singing back!

Give the away support an inch and their 12th man may take the 3 point home.

The 12th man of each team may settle this tie.

Good analysis, IMHO game will be won or lost (on the pitch) in the wide areas. The question will be asked between Saints wide men up front and Thistles pacey full backs.

It will also be won or lost in the Stands, support the vocally from the off, (including those in the dugout) and the 3 points are there for us, Barak and Boo from the off......could be a very different story.

A full away stand with a vocal support need to be quietened by 3 full stands shouting and singing back!

We're fcuked then.

Lets (try) and forget the last few weeks and start our season at home this Saturday. Positive thinking from players and fans. Get singing and supporting the team, make it a siege mentality if you like. Look how much it has spurred hearts on with everyone on the one side fighting for everything. We as a club simply have to do the same and match every opponent we face from now on.

Lets (try) and forget the last few weeks and start our season at home this Saturday. Positive thinking from players and fans. Get singing and supporting the team, make it a siege mentality if you like. Look how much it has spurred hearts on with everyone on the one side fighting for everything. We as a club simply have to do the same and match every opponent we face from now on.

John... before the Killie match had even started, I had people in front, behind and beside me moaning and complaining about all things Saints.

When I suggested they keep it positive at least until the match had started, you would have thought I had stabbed someone.

Results since then do not fill me with confidence that our "support" is actually capable of supporting! !!

Edited by BuddieinEK

How many times are we supposed to forget the horrendous start to the season ? Until Hearts go above us and heads are way down ?

Barak and Boo??............is that the names of the new striker and the new centre half we need??

I'll say the same thing i've said since the Inverness game, we need to get McGowan playing further forward. It's no coincidence that we haven't scored a goal against a Premiership team with 11 men this season, our attacking play has been dreadful.

We need to go with a midfield of:

Newton-McLean

Teale-McGowan-McGinn

Not a midfield of:

McGowan-Newton

Teale-Harkins-McLean

Is there anyone who actually believes the second midfield is stronger than the first? The manager does. It plays two players out of position to accommodate one, and drops the most talented youngster we've produced for a generation.

If Harkins starts centrally i can't see how we win, we just do not look a threat with his languid slow as a week in the jail style of play in the middle of the park. Either play him out on the left wing or drop him.

Edited by Lex

How many times are we supposed to forget the horrendous start to the season ? Until Hearts go above us and heads are way down ?

Don't get m wrong. I'm pissed off beyond caring very much about football in general and never thought if feel like that about my team specifically. What I'm saying is the manager and same players are going to be here after the window closes so we will have to try something and I'm suggesting a siege mentality. Got to try something.