Super Saints V Maryhill Magyars League 31/8/13

shull

Good goal and coasting? Were you at the game? We were 2nd to every ball and were utterly pathetic. You need to learn how football works, you have your head in the clouds.

Exactly.

We were well beaten today.

We scored against the run of play and we settled down slightly but we were always second best.

The team on the park after the second sun should have started the game. Unfortunately it was too late and even with our goal advantage it couldn't shift the momentum.

Had that team started I'm sure it would have been better. Not saying we would have won but it would have give us a better chance and avoided the roasting we got down the right in the first half.

We had a few chances at 0-0 but so did a thistle and the slowly stamped their authority on the game. We were very fortunate to go in 0-0 at half time.

Subs changed game slightly but Thistle were still filled with confidence after the first half showing.

Even at 1-0 down you could see that they didn't believe they were beaten.

The equaliser came from a tackle from behind by Goodwin. He won the ball but the ref deemed it a fouls because it was from behind. I thought he won it with no contact so poor decision from my seat.

The played a well worked free kick, McGinn caught sleeping and failed to follow his man. Great finish off the post though. Keeper had no chance.

After that there was only one winner. Thistle could have went on a scored a few.

We had our chances in the game but over the 90 minutes we were well beaten and I have no doubt that our starting line up & formation, or lack of caused this. Totally over run in midfield, Harkins left McGinn totally exposed since he looks like he's been given the role of playing wherever the f**k he wants. McGinn was the lone man in the middle. Shambles

Danny needs to hold his hands up tonight and say he got it wrong.

I think if he goes in the dressing room this week after the game with his positive thoughts he might get swung at by a few.

I can't defend the man any more. Times up.

Edited by davidg

This game is very simple to summarise, the reasons behind our crapness aren't...

Today - first half was diabolical from both sides, though Thistle looked hungrier, were first to every ball, and could consider themselves unlucky to be level at the break.

Second half, with Teale on, instantly we looked a better side and at the time deservedly took the lead. Then the collapse...

Ref incorrectly gave the freekick against Goodwin, which was utterly inexplicable as he had a clear view. It looked like he instantly knew he got it wrong too by not booking Goodwin and in fact not really rebuking him for the challenge at all. Goodwin clearly took the ball very cleanly. That freekick led directly to the equaliser.

Saints heads were down after that, and McLean was the player 100% at fault for the Thistle second. He lost the ball, then rather than chase back when the player was barely a yard ahead of him, he lazily and unacceptably chose to lightly jog back, not even briskly. He wasn't tired, there wasn't any cover for the two Thistle players there - he was just a lazy oaf, and no argument can be presented to the contrary.

Throughout the whole game there was no urgency displayed from our side. Constant lack of communication between players (when ball between two of our players at multiple times when both could have got to it first, both abdicated responsibility, neither chose to talk to the other and a Jags player nipped in to take it. Must have happened a dozen times.

We never looked like being direct, with the exception of the utterly aimless long balls played throughout the first half - NOTE TO LENNON IF YOU HAPPEN TO READ THIS - JUST BECAUSE PLAYERS ARE TALL DOES NOT ALWAYS MEAN THAT THEY ARE BEST WITH A BALL IN THE AIR! Yes, Thommo is good with a ball in, but he is BETTER with balls played to feet, and by the looks of things, our new French forward likewise prefers a ball along the deck. So why the long ball, which DOESN'T suit out game?? Unacceptable and tactically naive.

Very poor all round, only pass marks go to Teale when he came on (why was our consistently best player for the past 18 months on the bench to begin with? VERY strange decision), Goodwin, who dealt with a lot at the back, and Thommo who won a lot in the air but had little support. Harkins tried and at times was okay, but too often overplayed the ball when he should have released a pass much earlier.

So the problems then? Very difficult to put a finger on it. Our players are better than what they are showing at the moment. Player for player we should be a match for most other Premier league sides. The issue is either the tactics being used, or the players on the park not knowing how to put the tactics into place when on the park. Either way sadly, I belive it is a management / coaching issue, as these problems have been obvious for a long time, yet not resolved.

Some of the fans at the game today were a disgrace giving the players dogs abuse from the kick off, some even before a ball was kicked, What has happened to getting behind the team, even when they're playing badly, Do any of these "supporters" think abusing already disheartened , not playing well, or not "up for it " players will suddenly make them into better players.

I agree.

However, I don't believe that changes the sentiment of my post.

There are some idiots who will always be like that at games. It's not right but you'll always get them, won't you?

But I am still of the opinion that everyone is letting the fans down. The vast, vast majority of whom are fully committed and love their club. We're being shortchanged at the moment.

davidg - it wasnt McGinn caught sleeping for the second, it was McLean.

Sorry, but it was McGinn.

He gave his man a yard and he collected the ball goal side of him and smashed the ball off the post and in.

Doesn't really matter who, the end result is all that matters.

Edited by davidg

He gave his man a yard and he collected the ball goal side of him and smashed the ball off the post and in.

You've misse the whole reason the ball was there to begin with. We were 10 yards into the Thistle half, McLean gave the ball away then didn't chase / track back when Thistle had two players wide. Had McLean put in any effort, he would have got between the two. The goal came directly from that, as was discussed between three or four of us the instant he lost it, but before the ball went in the net. It was McLean.

davidg - it wasnt McGinn caught sleeping for the second, it was McLean.

Doesn't really matter who, the end result is all that matters.

You've misse the whole reason the ball was there to begin with. We were 10 yards into the Thistle half, McLean gave the ball away then didn't chase / track back when Thistle had two players wide. Had McLean put in any effort, he would have got between the two. The goal came directly from that, as was discussed between three or four of us the instant he lost it, but before the ball went in the net. It was McLean.

Yous are talking about different goals here guys.

If that is the case then for all the talk of Danny being pish in the transfer market the next manager has a decent amount of talent to work with.

We need someone who is going to kick these guys arses and get the best out of them though

You talking about the equaliser?

McGinn had one job to do. Follow his man. He didn't do this and the player collected the ball goal side of him so you can't say McGinn wasn't at fault.

What stand were you in? different view of the goal may have different opinions? Plenty people around me had a good view of McGinn failing to follow his man and block the shot.

You talking about the equaliser?

McGinn had one job to do. Follow his man. He didn't do this and the player collected the ball goal side of him so you can't say McGinn wasn't at fault.

What stand were you in? different view of the goal may have different opinions? Plenty people around me had a good view of McGinn failing to follow his man and block the shot.

It doesn't really matter guys.

Finding who was to blame won't mean that goal didn't happen.

I'm really conflicted, because I really think Lennon is a good guy, and I believe that he is trying with everything he has. Off the field he is a great ambassador for the club. So I'm certainly not being a boo boy, or abusive when I say that it really pains me to say that I just don't think he's 'got it', I just think he isn't tactically astute enough at this level. As I say, I don't like saying it one bit, I'm not going to go overboard it's just a bad, gut feeling that I have...

Can't believe how bad its gotten. Players out of position, no shape, no hunger. Defenders ball watching. Partick deserved it today, never known a team that capitulates like St. Mirren, only team thats nervous when they're winning. I can't see Lennon coming back from this, players have let him down big time.

Four midfielders with the ball comfortable at their feet and we could barely retain the ball.

Back to basics.

Edited by Dan Is The Man