Super Saints V Maryhill Magyars League 31/8/13

shull

You should have warned Danny. Especially that bit about pacy diagonal balls to marauding full-backs. Their No3 with the double-barrelled name had the freedom of Paisley bestowed upon him, with DVZ and Newton looking at each other and seemingly saying 'No, you mark him, I insist. No, you do it. Nope, you pick him up. Fcuk it, just leave him'.

Redeem yourself Brian - e-mail Danny tomorrow and ask him why he didn't change it after 15-20 mins of the game starting when it was clear our right side was having a new arse ripped.

This really is just basic stuff isn't it?

Not having seen the game, it sounds as though they took the piss. Esp with their wing play, which was discussed on here FFS!

This really is just basic stuff isn't it?

Not having seen the game, it sounds as though they took the piss. Esp with their wing play, which was discussed on here FFS!

They were excellent and fully deserved their win. Stick a Kris Boyd or a Steven Thompson up top in place of wee Bairdy (no disrespect intended) and they could have scored four or five.

I tried to warn folks that Thistle are a well organised and good footballing side, but was derided as "we should be beating teams like that"!

If they had a good striker they would be a match for any side in the league. They won't be relegated.

I watched the Dundee Utd and Hearts games on tv, it was bloody obvious the full backs needed to be stopped. Grainger certainly mad a better stab at it than Van Zanten, but sadly had no support from in front.

I watched the Dundee Utd and Hearts games on tv, it was bloody obvious the full backs needed to be stopped. Grainger certainly mad a better stab at it than Van Zanten, but sadly had no support from in front.

I was at both games and Danny was sitting not far behind me at the Hearts match!

Graingers experience saved us several times as he didn't dive in but held up two attackers at a time till support eventually arrived. Very impressed by Grainger today.

A study of a football crowd from 1907 entitled "Why are Football Crowds So Melancholy?" The Writer notes "Faces devoid of any expression at all; gloomy faces; uninterested faces; faces not lit up by an array of excitement; faces whose settled melancholy fills one with profound depression, and makes one ask in amazement: 'Why are they there?'".

A study of a football crowd from 1907 entitled "Why are Football Crowds So Melancholy?" The Writer notes "Faces devoid of any expression at all; gloomy faces; uninterested faces; faces not lit up by an array of excitement; faces whose settled melancholy fills one with profound depression, and makes one ask in amazement: 'Why are they there?'".

To see Andy Millen and Davie Weir make their senior debuts.

Disappointed with the result.

Our performance wasn't as bad as some are making out.

Thistle were very good.

With our new signings getting fitter, Danny and Tommy will turn things round,

Our support was generally very good today, although dunno how the booing at half time was going to help.

I might be in a minority of one, but I felt Thompson played better while the new guy was on. He had someone who would run on to his knock downs, whereas in the second half he was toiling on his own up front trying to hold the ball up waiting for midfielders to catch up.

On the subject of the support, there was a tosser behind us who let out a torrent of abuse at young Caprice when he'd just come on. The lad clearly heard it and looked shaken by it.

I might be in a minority of one, but I felt Thompson played better while the new guy was on. He had someone who would run on to his knock downs, whereas in the second half he was toiling on his own up front trying to hold the ball up waiting for midfielders to catch up.

On the subject of the support, there was a tosser behind us who let out a torrent of abuse at young Caprice when he'd just come on. The lad clearly heard it and looked shaken by it.

Agreed, i thought Thommo and the new boy showed promising signs.

My view on today's game and recent concerns from the supporters.

Wouldn't have changed the defence that we put out. It is the strongest defence we have with the players we have. We are unable to judge McGregor at this point in time.

Midfield, unfortunately, is where it all went pair shaped. Teale should have started. If he was carrying an injury, he was fit enough to play the second half and therefore should have started to put us in the strongest position possible. Newton has played one game at right midfield before today, and that was at home to Ross County in his first game where he got hooked for being awful. Why he was played there? Only Danny knows.

McGowan hasn't been a main feature in the team this season, but he is without doubt our best player, so there must be reasons for that behind the scene.

McGinn is not a holding midfielder, the only players we have capable of playing that role is Goodwin and Newton, so we lacked the fight necessary in this league to win right away. Harkins is also not a central midfielder, on the left in a 4-5-1 or in a role behind the front two, then he will do well. He does not track back and therefore we were always going to struggle in the midfield.

Up front, we have all been shouting that Thompson is unable to play up front by himself. Therefore, I was behind Danny's decision to play the new guy up front. Amusing to find some supporters saying that he shouldn't have started because he was only signed yesterday... make up your mind. rolleyes.gif Thought he looked unfit and had a couple of poor touches, but he was getting long balls played to him all throughout the first half and didn't seem to know what to do. If we have Teale putting balls into the box, I'm confident we would have seen a different side to him.

First half we were very poor. Thistle were allowed so much space it was unbelievable. They simply wandered through the midfield. BUT, I was thankful we got to half time and after bringing Teale on felt we had an 'out' for the ball and started to look a bit better. Especially with Newton being moved back into the central midfield position. However, once again, showed that Thompson can not play up front himself.

We were lucky to take the lead but unfortunately couldn't keep them out (despite a few good saves). As soon as the first goal went in the heads went down. I thought Goodwin was buried in the park after the second went in!

Partick Thistle deserved their win and were excellent throughout. What they lacked in 'quality' they certainly made up with determination and desire. A welcome additional to the SFPL. They reminded me very much of us when we came up, plenty of fight and bottle, but just a lack of a cutting edge.

I was generally gutted for Danny Lennon tonight. I'm only 23 years of age, so the cup win was without a doubt the greatest day/week of my life so far. He is such a nice guy. However, it is a results driven business and in the league (which is our bread and butter) he has not delivered. The board are all St Mirren supporters and will no doubt have some food for thought tonight, however I personally believe that a change is needed. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes is all you need. But I will always be thankful for Lennon for the memories and if the board decide to let him go, then he goes with my very best wishes.

What has dissapointed me in the last few weeks is the disgusting supporters who think it is ok to give personal abuse either online or sitting in the stand to a guy simply trying his best to do his job. If these morons even have jobs, I'd personally like to spend the day at their work shouting behind them telling them they are a f'king idiot. rolleyes.gif

SMTID
KTF
FTOF

My view on today's game and recent concerns from the supporters.

Wouldn't have changed the defence that we put out. It is the strongest defence we have with the players we have. We are unable to judge McGregor at this point in time.

Midfield, unfortunately, is where it all went pair shaped. Teale should have started. If he was carrying an injury, he was fit enough to play the second half and therefore should have started to put us in the strongest position possible. Newton has played one game at right midfield before today, and that was at home to Ross County in his first game where he got hooked for being awful. Why he was played there? Only Danny knows.

McGowan hasn't been a main feature in the team this season, but he is without doubt our best player, so there must be reasons for that behind the scene.

McGinn is not a holding midfielder, the only players we have capable of playing that role is Goodwin and Newton, so we lacked the fight necessary in this league to win right away. Harkins is also not a central midfielder, on the left in a 4-5-1 or in a role behind the front two, then he will do well. He does not track back and therefore we were always going to struggle in the midfield.

Up front, we have all been shouting that Thompson is unable to play up front by himself. Therefore, I was behind Danny's decision to play the new guy up front. Amusing to find some supporters saying that he shouldn't have started because he was only signed yesterday... make up your mind. rolleyes.gif Thought he looked unfit and had a couple of poor touches, but he was getting long balls played to him all throughout the first half and didn't seem to know what to do. If we have Teale putting balls into the box, I'm confident we would have seen a different side to him.

First half we were very poor. Thistle were allowed so much space it was unbelievable. They simply wandered through the midfield. BUT, I was thankful we got to half time and after bringing Teale on felt we had an 'out' for the ball and started to look a bit better. Especially with Newton being moved back into the central midfield position. However, once again, showed that Thompson can not play up front himself.

We were lucky to take the lead but unfortunately couldn't keep them out (despite a few good saves). As soon as the first goal went in the heads went down. I thought Goodwin was buried in the park after the second went in!

Partick Thistle deserved their win and were excellent throughout. What they lacked in 'quality' they certainly made up with determination and desire. A welcome additional to the SFPL. They reminded me very much of us when we came up, plenty of fight and bottle, but just a lack of a cutting edge.

I was generally gutted for Danny Lennon tonight. I'm only 23 years of age, so the cup win was without a doubt the greatest day/week of my life so far. He is such a nice guy. However, it is a results driven business and in the league (which is our bread and butter) he has not delivered. The board are all St Mirren supporters and will no doubt have some food for thought tonight, however I personally believe that a change is needed. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes is all you need. But I will always be thankful for Lennon for the memories and if the board decide to let him go, then he goes with my very best wishes.

What has dissapointed me in the last few weeks is the disgusting supporters who think it is ok to give personal abuse either online or sitting in the stand to a guy simply trying his best to do his job. If these morons even have jobs, I'd personally like to spend the day at their work shouting behind them telling them they are a f'king idiot. rolleyes.gif

SMTID

KTF

FTOF

Good post bud.....I think it is fair though that anyone posting that Danny should go offers a name for replacement.....Just seems a bit silly to me that no one seems to give us the guru that we need to get it all on track.

Good post bud.....I think it is fair though that anyone posting that Danny should go offers a name for replacement.....Just seems a bit silly to me that no one seems to give us the guru that we need to get it all on track.

Cheers mate.

I think right now, we need someone to steady the ship. Someone like Jim Jeffries (Pars must owe him money so should be easy to recruit). Experienced in the SPL and would like to see him brought in just to steady things and get back to basics. Long term, I'd fancy a young manager down South who will recognise League 1 & League 2 players that would rip the p*ss up here, similar to what Butcher has done at ICT.

My main point is the people in the main stand near me know little about football.

I thought the much maligned McLean was our best player today, the heart of all our good attacking moves, showed some real intent with late runs into the box. However he's not a left midfielder.

The rest of the midfield was poor, especially Newton and McGinn. Who constantly wasted possession and made a general arse of things.

I can understand Teale and McGowan not starting. I may be the only one who thinks Teale has been poor in all our league games so far, with his crossing especially poor, and McGowan being poor on the ball. Although that may be down to being played out of position.

Thompson was extremely isolated second half, and I don't think the new lad was that bad. Trying too hard perhaps, but he linked up with Thompson.

Our centre half pairing went back to basics, which ensured a much improved performance (wouldn't be hard). And despite personally not liking Goodwin, he did play quite well. However he's never a captain. His fall to the ground holding his face after their second goal, sums up the defeatist attitude we currently have.

Anyway it was another terrible performance, and Partick deserved all the points.

I can't see any signs of a Gus McPherson 'reaction' from Danny to enable us to build any confidence. We are relegation fodder right now. And our team on paper really shouldn't be. Something is definitely wrong.

Cheers mate.

I think right now, we need someone to steady the ship. Someone like Jim Jeffries (Pars must owe him money so should be easy to recruit). Experienced in the SPL and would like to see him brought in just to steady things and get back to basics. Long term, I'd fancy a young manager down South who will recognise League 1 & League 2 players that would rip the p*ss up here, similar to what Butcher has done at ICT.

Not sure I would like any of the dinosaurs around our club......But fair play with a name ....More of the same from the any who want change

Disappointed with the result.

Our performance wasn't as bad as some are making out.

Thistle were very good.

With our new signings getting fitter, Danny and Tommy will turn things round,

Our support was generally very good today, although dunno how the booing at half time was going to help.

Are you joking. The performance was dreadful

One of the biggest problems DL has created at the club is retaining Goodwin as captain and playing him in centre of defense. It worked for a while, but let's be honest it's an experiment that has not stood up to the test of time.

Aside from a few games Goodwin has not been the player he was before his suspension against Motherwell and the injury he picked up shortly after.

Lacks leadership and motivation when the side is under pressure. His body language in the 3 defeats in 7 days sums up that he is no longer suitable to lead this club.

Those three matches were against teams that all have a lesser budget and with all due respect we should be beating - however in each match our team had neither the skill, work rate or desire that those other teams had.

Unfortunately I don't see any,one else in the squad right now capable of grabbing this squad by the scruff of the neck and pulling us out this feckin mess.

Our midfield has too much of a soft centre - we urgently need an Aber or Tam Turner to recitfy that deficiency. Perhaps a new regime could get more

value out of Goodwin in a defensive midfield role in front of a back four with a strong and experienced central defensive duo.

Jim is a leader more so than any other player we have the big problem is that the manager is not producing wins and he is not playing his best team. Look at the shape yesterday it was horrendous

I don't think he's been let down, I certainly wouldn't gjve him money to spend. Who knows what he was told, who knows what we made, who knows what it cost to release contracted players, who knows the master plan...the squad today was filled with talent, but bereft of tactics, organisation and motivation.

I keep saying this, and I know it is a cliché, but they must back him or sack him.

It is ludicrous if they are holding back funds on the basis that they don't trust him to use them wisely, yet still employ him in such a critical post.

It doesn't matter how you dress this up, the BoD have a responsibility here that cannot be disregarded.

The support is in meltdown, the performances an utter shambles, and Danny us reading from the same tired script every time he speaks to some hack. Meanwhile, the silence from the boardroom has become cacophonous.

The ship is rudderless and careering towards the rocks.

I keep saying this, and I know it is a cliché, but they must back him or sack him.

It is ludicrous if they are holding back funds on the basis that they don't trust him to use them

We've signed players in the last week, how can anyone say they're holding back funds?

Our board will not make any decisions that cost money so Danny boy is here to stay.

We are missing the point anyway. Jim Goodwin is a hopeless fart. When he's not acting the tough guy he gets hopelessly caught out, which we saw dozens of times today.

More worrying is the general lack of cohesion within the team. With Goodwin a useless captain as well as a crap defender we deserve all the board and Danny wish on us. We really are a gullible lot.

One other thing you are guaranteed no comment from Gilmour. He only comes out to greet when we occasionally win something.

If jim wasn't there today we would have been humped. Cheesy is a weak link and has had a v poor start this season. As for Danny he hasn't a clue how to set up a team we were outplayed by thistle and that is a worry

We've signed players in the last week, how can anyone say they're holding back funds?

What I can't understand is we have just completed one of our most successful financial seasons and must have made a profit. In relative terms to other teams in the SPL we were in a stronger financial position than we have been EVER.

What did we do. Weaken the team by clearing the place and not replacing them, we started the season with only one recognised experienced striker. Most people on here knew that the squad was far too weak to start the season. They were referred to as knicker wetters. I believe they were realists. How did anyone expect us to have a strong start to the same league that we struggled in last year with a weakened team?

The start doesn't surprise me, I feel cheated in that I've payed my season ticket up front and the we have failed miserably to strengthen the team from what must have been a healthy financial position.

Who's to blame, the manager, the BOD? God only knows but we are reaping the seeds that were sown in close season.

I didn't claim they were David. I was responding to Kenny's post suggesting that he wouldn't give Danny funds if he were on the board.

My point is that IF he doesn't have the full backing and trust of the BoD, why are they leaving things as they are?

I can only guess that they are giving him a bit more time to turn things round, which seems entirely reasonable. Otherwise, their stance (or lack thereof) would be absolutely baffling.