Super Saints V Maryhill Magyars League 31/8/13

shull

LOL

That's what I thought. My OP did say the equaliser.

Yeah, I must have read your post wrong - I was sure you were talking about their second.... Apologies. But either way, that shows that two of our players (our most inexperienced players too sadly) weren't tracking back at various points, which when playing in midfield is an absolute must. A few of us were saying at the start that McGinn and McLean are both very talented, but at this stage of their careers it should be one or other on from the start, not both, as some experience is needed in the midfield positions.

You'll never win anything with kids..... thumbup2.gif

I'm really conflicted, because I really think Lennon is a good guy, and I believe that he is trying with everything he has. Off the field he is a great ambassador for the club. So I'm certainly not being a boo boy, or abusive when I say that it really pains me to say that I just don't think he's 'got it', I just think he isn't tactically astute enough at this level. As I say, I don't like saying it one bit, I'm not going to go overboard it's just a bad, gut feeling that I have...

I think that sums it up for lots and lots of people on here.

Doesn't mean you're a bad guy for thinking that.

It doesn't mean you're a 'knicker-wetter', it doesn't mean you're not a true supporter, it doesn't mean you're a 'boo-boy', and it doesn't mean you don't care about the club.

It means you DO care, and you have come to a sad, but true realisation.

I can't help but thinking the substitutions today weren't thought through.

We were all pleased to see Teale come on, but I'd have thought Newton was the right player to remove. More often than not Newton has served us well but he'd a poor match today and it'd most likely been better for him to be taken off.

Leaving Thompson to work on his own when we continued to play quite a lot of long balls didn't work, a situation made worse by removing the 2 players most natural to support him; McLean and Harkins coming off left the side with no goal threat, when it was obvious we we were going to need more than one goal..

The 11 that is on the park now is the strongest 11 at the football club, and it is the 11 that should have started.

Cornell

Vanzy

Cheesy

Goody

Grainger

Teale

McGowan

McGinn

Newton

McLean

Thommo

Surely we are gona win now!

I'm not trying to get at you with this post but somehow our strongest 11 contrived to throw away three points - it's time to take a good look at the squad and re-evaluate what is our strongest 11, who should play where and what our tactics should be.

If there's gonna be change and I really don't see how it can be avoided now then it really must be done as soon as possible or else give Lennon the dreaded vote of confidence and say he's got until December in an attempt to buy him some time although he really doesn't deserve it.

I am no football manger (thank God) but all I have heard about Thistle is they use their full-backs as wingers and Motherwell counteracted that by playing two wide men to stop the Thistle full-backs piling forward. So I was pretty amazed when the best and most considtent player we have in Gary Teale was on the bench. Even more surprised when I realised Gowser was dropped and we had a midfiled 3 against their midfield 5 AND two overlapping full-backs. Thistle played us off the park in the first half but thankfully they have very little up top to take advantage of their two excellent full backs. I thought Goodwin was very good in the first half.

It really was robbery when we went ahead however Teale made a huge difference when he came on and kept their full back in his own half as well as getting in some good crosses. However the left side was wide open and they came forward at will and still rammed balls into the box. Gowser also made a huge difference when he came on. We now had two players who would put in continuous effort and not just wee start/stop runs then hang about for something to happen.

Today was a shambles for me. Teale and McGowan dropped. Playing 4-3-1-2 against a 4-5-1 and not changing it. Playing so many players out of position (Caprice - a right back - came on to play left wing.). McLean and Harkins have skill but for me they do not have the work rate required for this League. Newton played on the right of midfield where he had a poor game by his standards. McGinn on his own in the middle. Long ball tactics for 90 mins nearly. The only time we got some passing going was when Gowser came on.

I really like Danny as a person and a representatvie of the Club but his confidence seems shot to pieces and desperation was in the air today. How long can we continue like this?

I'm really conflicted, because I really think Lennon is a good guy, and I believe that he is trying with everything he has. Off the field he is a great ambassador for the club. So I'm certainly not being a boo boy, or abusive when I say that it really pains me to say that I just don't think he's 'got it', I just think he isn't tactically astute enough at this level. As I say, I don't like saying it one bit, I'm not going to go overboard it's just a bad, gut feeling that I have...

Not just a gut feeling,you see it where it matters on the park.

The board have a decision to make because it's not happening and to be honest i cannot see where a win is going to come from

Our midfield selection was abysmal. Newton right mid? What? McLean left mid? What? Central midfield partnership of Harkins and McGinn? What? McGowan and Teale dropped? What?

It seems the plan was to totally change the set up and hope that would work . Newton out of position was struggling and their nos 3 (taylor-sinclair ?the guy can't make up his mind what his name is?) got all the space he wanted out on our right . We lobbing the ball up the park hoping that it would connect with one of our well marked players , then they would get possession and run up the park as we sat off them giving them plenty of time to get organised. It was only a matter of time. .

Once we went 2 down it looked like no urgency , whatsoever. .

First off I don't agree with dropping Teale under any circumstances, I've loved the guy since he signed. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out why Danny did it. The Thistle full backs bomb on every chance and are a big part of how they play. Newton (who was brilliant at right midfield away to Killie Last game of last season) would theoretically be better at nullifying that threat defensively. However I would argue that having Teale running at him in the other direction could have been just as effective at keeping the left back at bay.

I thought Goodwin was brilliant today, and very harshly treated for the free kick that led to the second. The keeper likewise was hard done by to end up conceding two, as he played well.

McAusland for McGregor please, pretty please. We have leaked goals from the centre of defence for 18 months whilst he has been a first pick, being dropped to the bench might just be the kick up the arse he needs.

The new guy had a horror show, running past the ball, forgetting the ball and shooting wildly from everywhere.

As much as I'd love to slate harkins and shout for him to be dropped, the guy is at the centre of everything decent we create.

Its a sad day.

what is Tommy Craig doing in all this? I remember him playing for Aberdeen, Newcastle and Scotland in the early 70s. He has 40 years of experience at the top level. It looks to me he has contributed very little and has used not that experience and accumulated wisdom to advise and guide Danny....which is surely whyhe was appointed.

what is Tommy Craig doing in all this? I remember him playing for Aberdeen, Newcastle and Scotland in the early 70s. He has 40 years of experience at the top level. It looks to me he has contributed very little and has used not that experience and accumulated wisdom to advise and guide Danny....which is surely whyhe was appointed.

I think they're probably as bad as each other.

Our board will not make any decisions that cost money so Danny boy is here to stay.

We are missing the point anyway. Jim Goodwin is a hopeless fart. When he's not acting the tough guy he gets hopelessly caught out, which we saw dozens of times today.

More worrying is the general lack of cohesion within the team. With Goodwin a useless captain as well as a crap defender we deserve all the board and Danny wish on us. We really are a gullible lot.

One other thing you are guaranteed no comment from Gilmour. He only comes out to greet when we occasionally win something.

Mcgregor was solid against killie at right back yet he drops him, another bizarre decision by Danny, he doesn't know what he is doing.

He followed that up with a horror show at Dingwall mate, that's why he was replaced with DVZ again.

He's past it mate, done.

When was this? An passenger today, did virtually nothing. The difference when McGowan came on was pretty evident.

Really? I dont remember a St Mirren chance the last half hour. Unless you count Thompson and McGowan faffing about on the edge of the box instead of having a shot.

Really? I dont remember a St Mirren chance the last half hour. Unless you count Thompson and McGowan faffing about on the edge of the box instead of having a shot.

McGowan came on and we had our best spell of the game, not that it was anything special. Harkins is far, far too greedy. He'd rather take on 3 defenders than play a simple 10 yard pass.