The Manager

Sad and poor thread aimed at a St Mirren Legend.

The feelgood factor surrounding March 17th should last more than a few months.

Probably a few years in my case. Struggling like we do now and again makes Cup Wins all so worthwhile.

Let Danny and Tommy sort it.

He cannot be given the time needed as he does not have the resources to do it. We have tried to play nice football for the last few years this team are not good enough to do it so solution is change squad or tactics he has done nowt. His hands are tied with a pennypinching General Manager & Board who are letting him take the flak and Danny is too nice to speak out as he knows when he starts doing that he will get booted. You cannot improve season after season when you work with poorer quality players. I believe non of Dannys pre season targets were got as we are too miserable to pay the wages needed.No matter who he brings in this week if any its too late we got a miracle with Goncalves players of his quality do not grow on trees and 1 or 2 chance signings are not enough as the defence is now too soft. He seems unwilling to change tactics or simply can't do it i watch Managers change tactics constantly during games we can't even do that game to game.Confidence is rock bottom with fans and team alike and i believe the only answer is a Management change a man with fresh ideas and tactics to try and breath some life into us.We are 3/4 matches in and Hearts are eating into the points deficit already Yes i think its time to panic. I am a Season Ticket holder and i will say my opinions on here and will predict us getting beat if that's what i feel but when i step into our Stadium i support the team for 90 mins and will clap and shout encouragement as i have always done and will keep my negativity at times for posting on here as i would rather vent my anger on a forum with people on here where we can all let off steam. I am and always will be SMTID and hope we can get a solution quickly and see us climbing again.

Edited by stevenw05

A lit of talk of Thompson for new manager but that doesn't fill me with any confidence.

I don't think he's the type we need as things stand. No managerial experience and he's well and truly one of the lads. I don't see how that would work turning to be their boss.

He's not really set a great example for respect of the manager either. Refusing to come off the bench at the end of last season.

I like Danny but have had a sneaky feeling for months that the senior players take the absolute c**t down there. He seems to have lost the respect of these guys IMO and its amazing what power the players have in these situations.

No way back for Danny IMO without clearing out pretty much everyone and starting again and we all know that can't happen. Only one outcome for me but the players need to take a good look at themselves IMO.

Not really mental. The signs were there last season that he has been unable to achieve consistency. This is partly due to his desire to try and play attractive football but doesnt have the players to back it up. No point trying to play like Barcelona if you are not them. The set up of them team is all wrong and I will harp on again but including the pre-season results and at this moment in time we need to steady the ship before it sinks any further. I back up a previous post by saying a sweeper system shoud be used to try and protect conceding so many at the back. I would put Goodwin there with cheesy and mcgregor in front of him grainger and hopefully a replacement left back as dvz isnt the answer. newton - holding midfield in front of the back 4 with mcginn, harkins and mcgowan a balanced 3 in front. Thommo up front with harkins covering that role as a change if we bring teale on to add with. Ideally at least 1 new solid strong european central defender, a right back and 1-2 strikers to make the team required.

Danny get the balance right, back to basics and all that but we are not barcelona and a few good performances in the cup last season doesnt make a consistent performing attacking team. A defensive team with attacking flair who can break quickly on the counter is best answer - just like Bayern Munich. Ok so we are not them either.....

DVZ is definitely not the answer at left back, because he's a right back.

Was at Dingwall yesterday and its clearly obvious that Danny Shankly has lost the trust of some of his players! His team selection and playing players out of position is causing us major problems.

His passing philosophy has long gone and there is no shape whatsoever in the team.

His after match interview on radio which we all listened to on the journey home was patronising and "WONDERFULLY" embarrassing!

Where do you start?

Goalie: Unconvincing

Defence: McGregor isn't and never will be a full back and was shocking yesterday! Look at the goals weve shipped in this season and yet Danny Shankly still thinks Goodwin and Cheesy are a good pairing!!!!!!!!!

Midfield: To accommodate Harkins, Gowser is now a holding midfielder??????? and has cost us goals in consecutive games. McLean should not be in the team before McGinn! Everyone can see that bar Lennon!

Harkins? Cost the 3rd goal yesterday...LAZY!

Thommo; Looks totally frustrated and cheesed off and rightly so. Playing himself up front and with no other striker at the club!

Lennon looks and sounds lost and I would sack him today, not a problem!

ps Did anyone see any directors at the game yesterdaywhistling.gif

Ross County and ICT have won f**k all.

St Johnstone, Hibs and Motherwell urnae in Europe.

We won the League Cup and remain the holders. Its in the record books forevermore.

Goodwin in the Sun today remembering that fantastic weekend last March.

Put me through the emotional bit again.

I'm happy and love my Club.

Give the Legends a break, they've earned it.

We might lose on Tuesday but after a few seconds i'll just cast my mind back to St Mirren's Day on March 17th 2013.

But shull, winning the League Cup and just falling apart afterwards isn't good! We should've built in that success and haven't done so. God knows why not!

I watched the final again on Friday night. It's still amazing, and always will be. But it doesn't buy the manager (or the chairman) protection from criticism.

As for our chairman, why is he ALWAYS pushing his face near the cameras when good things are happening, but when the fans are disgruntled he's nowhere near a camera or a microphone!? HE runs the club, what's he got to say about the state of things at present?

A lit of talk of Thompson for new manager but that doesn't fill me with any confidence.

I don't think he's the type we need as things stand. No managerial experience and he's well and truly one of the lads. I don't see how that would work turning to be their boss.

He's not really set a great example for respect of the manager either. Refusing to come off the bench at the end of last season.

I like Danny but have had a sneaky feeling for months that the senior players take the absolute c**t down there. He seems to have lost the respect of these guys IMO and its amazing what power the players have in these situations.

No way back for Danny IMO without clearing out pretty much everyone and starting again and we all know that can't happen. Only one outcome for me but the players need to take a good look at themselves IMO.

I'm Thommos biggest fan but i think he'd be a disastrous appointment as manager. As would anyone from within the squad whether that be Craig, Mair, Goodwin, any of them.

If i was to pick one employee of the club to be caretaker it would be Davie Longwell. He has been coaching forever and has all the badges you'd like plus he obviously has a relationship with the younger players. I would give him it for a few games see how he does then take it from there.

If DL is to be replaced.

I agree Saints will not take experienced option (Jefferies, Calderwood, Shiels etc - if that sort don't work out we'd find ourselves facing a large pay off), that's been the style from this board and I doubt they'd make an exception if another appointment is to be made.

Appointing a senior player from the current squad is, I'd think, unlikely Thompson and Teale's respectively popularity would be at risk, coupled to a poor start to the season we'd be risking a season long mess.

Our target needs to be familiar with the Scottish league, would need to see Saints as good career move, and can make an impact within a season.

I'm left thinking Ian Murray at Dumbarton fits the bill as well as anyone.

Ross County and ICT have won f**k all.

St Johnstone, Hibs and Motherwell urnae in Europe.

We won the League Cup and remain the holders. Its in the record books forevermore.

Goodwin in the Sun today remembering that fantastic weekend last March.

Put me through the emotional bit again.

I'm happy and love my Club.

Give the Legends a break, they've earned it.

We might lose on Tuesday but after a few seconds i'll just cast my mind back to St Mirren's Day on March 17th 2013.

Yes we won the League Cup for the first time in our history, but in terms of gain what did we get ,our name on the trophy ,any financial gain we haven't seen ,didn't even get us a wee European adventure because our Football Association don't deem it important enough to warrant it . Tam M has got it bang on with the boards warnings of so many job loses due to relegation , if there is no change now that is going to be a reality ,so do we allow legends more time to get us into a bigger hole ,or do we change it for all the fans who like watching us play the better teams, or do we just wait and play Morton next seson 5 times .

Imo, the next week will determine danny,s future as manager...

if he could bring in a striker and a left winger who'll run at defenders with pace, and

also a centre back (i wont hold my breath on that one) it could turn our season round

for the better, if he fails to do so then it's curtains for danny.

our starting line up may look pretty impresive to some but without pace and thrust from the

midfeild and forwards we are incapable of hurting teams, and especially playing with

a lone striker who is hardly the most mobile player on the park.. as for the defence we'll

you would have to be blind to not know where the problems lie there...

as much as i like danny these performances cant go on any longer, so come on dannyboy

prove me and all your doubters wrong, if you cant we'll tattie bye weeman..

ps.. the board seem to getting an easy ride on here again, while danny takes all the shit

get the signings in NOW....

I think Thommo can be a bit of a price if I'm honest,He's one of our own blah blah nah for me he has more of an agenda than any of us think.

He's not the night in shining armour many of us paint him to be.

That said he is a hero always will be, I just don't think he loves us as much as we want him too.

As a manager? It won't happen at St Mirren never.

Agree with that ,that would be a bad move on all sides , If DL goes we need experience .

Crap thread. The first minute our club struggles and our fans aren't there for the players or the manager.

Bunch of bastards the lot of you.

Sacking a manager 3 games into a new season? Absolutely mental.

The boo boys arrive drunk off their bus.

Abuse the team.

And talk pish all the way home.

And the worrying thing thing is they probably don't recognise themselves from that description.

Us not getting into Europe is nothing to with the SFA.

For us to qualify for Europe via a League Cup win, UEFA have stipulated we need a top league with a minimum 16 Clubs in it.

And whose fault is it that we huvnae one of them.

Anyway, winning the Cup is f**k aw to do with finance and Europe.

It's all about glory, lifting the Trophy, Open Top Bus and party time for all Buddies , players and fans

And of course Danny and Tommy.

Us not getting into Europe is nothing to with the SFA.

For us to qualify for Europe via a League Cup win, UEFA have stipulated we need a top league with a minimum 16 Clubs in it.

And whose fault is it that we huvnae one of them.

Anyway, winning the Cup is f**k aw to do with finance and Europe.

It's all about glory, lifting the Trophy, Open Top Bus and party time for all Buddies , players and fans

And of course Danny and Tommy.

Sorry Shull not the case ,the SFA gave up the place in 1995 in favour of league finishing due to our clubs doing so badly in Europe and our co efficiency ranking dropping so as to we lost automatic places.

I'm Thommos biggest fan but i think he'd be a disastrous appointment as manager. As would anyone from within the squad whether that be Craig, Mair, Goodwin, any of them.

If i was to pick one employee of the club to be caretaker it would be Davie Longwell. He has been coaching forever and has all the badges you'd like plus he obviously has a relationship with the younger players. I would give him it for a few games see how he does then take it from there.

he's another clueless diddy