The Manager

It's not about the first three games. It's about the last three full seasons Danny has had to progress our club. The reason McPherson was sacked was because of lack of progression.

I am not getting on any of the players back. The problem is with DL. I doubt the board will take the necessary action, and I really do hope Lennon can turn it around because of that. But I have lost faith and I am more than entitled to voice this opinion on a St Mirren football forum!

You are absolutely fully and completely entitled to call for the sacking of a manager who gave us our best league finish in 25-odd years and then followed that up with a national Cup for the first time in 25 years the following season. You are entitled to call for that sacking just 3 games into the next season (two of those being in the Highlands where most teams struggle) and I'm entitled to question your sanity for doing so.

Not really mental. The signs were there last season that he has been unable to achieve consistency. This is partly due to his desire to try and play attractive football but doesnt have the players to back it up. No point trying to play like Barcelona if you are not them. The set up of them team is all wrong and I will harp on again but including the pre-season results and at this moment in time we need to steady the ship before it sinks any further. I back up a previous post by saying a sweeper system shoud be used to try and protect conceding so many at the back. I would put Goodwin there with cheesy and mcgregor in front of him grainger and hopefully a replacement left back as dvz isnt the answer. newton - holding midfield in front of the back 4 with mcginn, harkins and mcgowan a balanced 3 in front. Thommo up front with harkins covering that role as a change if we bring teale on to add with. Ideally at least 1 new solid strong european central defender, a right back and 1-2 strikers to make the team required.

Danny get the balance right, back to basics and all that but we are not barcelona and a few good performances in the cup last season doesnt make a consistent performing attacking team. A defensive team with attacking flair who can break quickly on the counter is best answer - just like Bayern Munich. Ok so we are not them either.....

Never done a comparison between McPherson and Lennon, as they are two seperate managers who played total different football.

there was a stat that came out around Danny's 100th game that he had amassed the 2nd least amount of point in 100 spl games. The person with the least was Gus, Danny beat him by 1 point. They both have very poor records. The only real difference would be that Dannys team won the League cup, Gus's team spunked the league cup, but Gus's team were never beaten by Morton!

I understand and get everything the op has said. But for me its either play youth or sign someone which DL hasnt as far as im aware. I cant comment on the teams display in the league as u havnt been too a game yet but the game against newcastle when he brought on the young guys they looked good and hungry and we actualy made a good few oppertunities too get a goal or 2.

From what I have seen of the first three games we are without doubt relegation certainties if nothing is done and it will take the best part of a decade to get back to the top flight because we will have to use youth in the most part. The stats make for grim reading out with the cup win. Danny is a hell of a nice guy but this can't go on for much longer its important for the club as a whole to stay in the top flight of football.

Sad and poor thread aimed at a St Mirren Legend.

The feelgood factor surrounding March 17th should last more than a few months.

Probably a few years in my case. Struggling like we do now and again makes Cup Wins all so worthwhile.

Let Danny and Tommy sort it.

Ross County and ICT have won f**k all.

St Johnstone, Hibs and Motherwell urnae in Europe.

We won the League Cup and remain the holders. Its in the record books forevermore.

Goodwin in the Sun today remembering that fantastic weekend last March.

Put me through the emotional bit again.

I'm happy and love my Club.

Give the Legends a break, they've earned it.

We might lose on Tuesday but after a few seconds i'll just cast my mind back to St Mirren's Day on March 17th 2013.

Crap thread. The first minute our club struggles and our fans aren't there for the players or the manager.

Bunch of bastards the lot of you.

Sacking a manager 3 games into a new season? Absolutely mental.

And you were there yesterday I take it to show your support, and were happy with what you saw, interesting

The sad thing for me is that we have not built on last seasons cup success. Not sure if this is down to the BOD being reluctant to give DL cash or not however whatever way you dress it up we are once again looking like we will be scratching about at the bottom of the league. There are only so many times you can go to the well ..... interesting times ahead methinks, we need an "Isma" from somewhere. Looking back he was key

to us winning the cup.

The frustrating thing is that I think Danny could easily get it very right if he just did one or two things. Tactically, don't ask the defence to pass all the time and ask the forward players to still look for nice passes, but be a bit more direct. And sign players in the areas where we are obviously weak!

If a new manager were to come in, I would want him to be someone who will do what Danny thinks he is doing and play nice football, but with some purpose to it. From what I have seen of the under 20s, the youth there are well-drilled in what the club wants. Ok, it's obviously against other young players, but they seem to have the idea that they should always be moving and looking for space instilled in them a lot more fully. They played a genuine three up front and all were able to interchange about the front line and drag defences about. Ok, they got the odd spanking but the attacking play was a joy to watch and they scored goals. I would NOT want any manager who came in to mess with that, and it is a real possibility if we were daft and got a 'hoof and hope' merchant in.

Excuse after Excuse and so on

Rub of the green, pleased with a point against ten men kilmarnock when Allan Johnston was gutted at drawing, great staff, great players, playing in the right manner, pitch was too long against Inverness, County had a great home record last season!! The nonsense that Danny tries to pacify us with is getting tiresome now.

Yes we have had a difficult start to the season away to inverness and also facing ross county away was not ideal but to lose both games 3-0 is disgraceful.

Ross County were beaten 4-0 last week yet managed to beat us 3-0 this week thumbdown.gif not good enough.

As previous posters have mentioned the league record is woeful and hearts are already making up ground and were only a month into the season.

Thanks Danny but time to go bye1.gif

Of course the pressure on Danny isn't soley down to the 3 awful performances in the league this season, it goes way further back than that.

Here's some stats about the team this year:

We have not won a game of any description at home for over 6 months.

We have played 20 league games in 2013. We have won 3, lost 8 and drew 9. Taking 18 points from a possible 60, 4 of those points were dead rubber games at the tale end of last season.

Since we lifted the cup we have played 11 competitive games, which have resulted in 6 draws, 4 defeats and only 1 victory - that victory being a meaningless dead rubber.

Does anyone seriously think that's good enough? Danny is the 3rd most experienced manager in the league at this level, he's not a new guy earning his trade. He doesn't have any excuses left, long grass or not.

Of course Danny won a cup, that's why the pressure wasn't on him as much as it would have been last season. Our league campaign last term was an absolute disgrace, but he bought himself time with the fantastic performances in the cups. That's why our brief but inexcusable flirt with relegation last year was excused by most fans, myself included.

However the disquiet was building among the majority of fans and he needed a good start in this campaign to quell it. He certainly hasn't had it. Played 3, lost 2, won 0, scored 1, conceded 7. Are the ugly scenes in the away end yesterday any surprise? Is the fact that the manager got roundly boo'd after the third goal before retreating to the safety of his dugout never to be seen again a surprise?

The players don't look interested, the squad's a mess, the defence is a shambles and the manager looks like a man who knows his time is coming to an end.

Couldn't really see another topic for this, as it's not really a post about today's game, but if there please feel free to merge.

Firstly, I would like to say I think Danny Lennon is a really nice guy and I wish him nothing but the best. Unfortunately, I feel that his time is up. I lost faith in him last season but felt that after the league cup, he deserved another chance. I feel that he hasn’t taken it.

I done a few rough sums tonight and since Lennon was appointed manager in 2010, we have played 139 competitive games (league, league cup and Scottish cup games). We have only won 37 games in this period of time, and 13 of these were in the cups. This means we have only won 24 league games since June 2010, an average of 8 a season. This is clearly not acceptable.

When he first joined, I’m sure you’ll all agree that the football was great to watch compared to the dross we were served under Gus McPherson. However, the inability to turn that good football into points on the board gets boring after a while, not to mention frustrating. The scary thing now is that actually, we are not playing the nice football anymore. It’s a pass, pass, pass around the back then a boot up the park.

I do not expect us to be challenging for the league title or anything like that, but when you look at the progress of Inverness (who rebuild a new team every year), St Johnstone and Ross County, it frustrates me that we cannot achieve anything close to what they have in the league.

Pre-Season he let go of players such as Imrie and Guy. I did not have a problem with this and was not particularly sad to see them go, but as they were contracted, it baffles me as to why they were let go without reinforcements being in place.

There is a bit of talk that the budget has been cut significantly, however if this is the case then I’d hope the board would come out and explain this to us. However, it must cost a few quid to take the whole squad to Spain for a training camp for a week. I understand that this is a great team bonding opportunity, but with Harkins and only two Goalkeepers being signed up at this point (one of the keepers had already been training with us for a while), was there really a need for this with it basically being the same squad as last season minus a few. Surely this money could have been better invested within the squad.

I was also told from someone that spoke to a few players (who are a bit pissed off apparently) that McGowan is on 4K a week! Which would explain that if Danny has spunked this amount of his budget on McGowan why there has been a lack of signings and replacements for those who left. I think Lennon brought in Harkins as a replacement to McGowan as he did not expect him to stay, but when he did, left Lennon a bit snookered.

Danny has never really spent too much cash on the goalkeeping position and does not see it has a key area of the team, and this personally doesn’t bother me as there are plenty of keepers out there. To be fair, I think the new guy has taken a bit of stick, but apart from one howler due to a short pass back from Grainger against ICT, I don’t think he has been at fault for any of the goals in the first two games. (Can’t comment on today’s goals as not seen them and wasn’t at the game)

The defence clearly isn’t good enough as we are leaking goals left right and centre. He brought in Grainger which was a good experienced signing, and I personally don’t mind McAusland and Goodwin at the back, but feel we need a bit of competition in there to keep team on their toes, and as of yet I don’t think it would be fair to rely on McGregor after two years out for that. As much as I love DVZ, I think his time is up at this level and David Barron is forever injured. What really annoys me is that we have an experienced player in Lee Mair (all be it not the best) but we don’t even have him in the squad! He’s sitting in the house watching the scores on fecking Sky Sports! Lee Mair played RB for Aberdeen before, but a midfielder and a central defender gets a look in before he does! The way he is trying to force Mair out the club in my opinion is disgusting.

We have a great few midfielders, but the problem is we have too many of them and too many of them are too similar! Teale is an automatic pick on the right hand side, as is Newton for the holding role (as we don’t really have anyone else for that role). This leaves McLean, McGinn, McGowan, Robbo and Harkins all fighting it out for a central role. One of them usually ends up stuck on the left, where we don’t actually have a natural left winger. As Harkins is now in the team (and looks like Lennon will not drop him), McGowan is being put into central midfield rather than behind the front two and has so far this season not really done anything. McGinn is our best option on the left, but McLean comes back after missing part of pre-season and jumps straight into the team leaving McGinn to warm the bench!

Up front we have Thompson on his own. It has been clear from day 1 in pre-season that he cannot play up front by himself! The only other striker we have is Thomas Reilly, who missed most of last season with an injury. We should have another experience striker to partner Thompson, and allow Reilly to break into the first team coming off the bench and making an impact during games. I would have been happy to have kept Sam Parkin as a cheap back up for Thompson to provide us with a bit of height in the team should Thompson get injured.

The above is a pretty grim reading of how our team looks at the moment, and the fault of this has to lie on Lennon’s shoulders. He’s f’ked up spectacularly this summer.

The fans have lost confidence, the players appear to be getting pissed off, the likes of Thompson was having a go at a supporter today as well apparently. We’ve been down this road before with Hendrie, Coughlin and McPherson. Let’s not prolong the agony, let’s not lose supporters that end up finding something else more enjoyable to do on a Saturday, let’s make the change before it’s too late.

It’s too late for a new manager to be able to build a new team. If I was the board, I would say to Thompson and Teale, we’ll give you a chance as Caretaker bosses until the January transfer window. Get on the phone to your old pals down South, get a few of them up here to do you a favour, and if we’re doing well the jobs yours. If not, we get a replacement ready to jump in before the January transfer window and get a bit of wheeling and dealing done and hopefully keep us up.

Like I said, Danny gave me the greatest day of my life as a St Mirren supporter and for that I will be forever grateful and will always list him as a hero. For whatever reason, it’s just not working out.

Great post Tam.

Ross County were beaten 4-0 last week yet managed to beat us 3-0 this week thumbdown.gif not good enough.

Get what you are saying here, but (despite their obviously better start to the season) I doubt many St Johnstone fans are happy to win 4-0 one week and they get spanked 4-0 the next. I think there could be a lot of that kind of thing in the league this season, but out problem is that we look like we might be consistently bad, as opposed to merely inconsistent.