Thompson For Manager? Time To Up Your Medication, Gents.

Kemp

Thompson should not and will not be made manager. Shiels should not and will not be made manager.

However, to speculate about replacements at the moment is a pretty redundant argument. You cannot say that Danny should not be sacked because of a lack of potential replacements. Danny should be judged on our teams performances on the park, not the potential ability of possible replacements.

I am pretty certain we will be looking for a new manager by the end of October by the latest, probably earlier than then, maybe even this time next week.

Then the discussion and the debate on the replacement will start.

Edited by Lex

My intention was not to start a thread slagging off Steven Thompson as a player as I am probably part of that "Thompson is a god brigade."

I'm just trying to point out the lunacy of blaming one man for every problem at the club and highlight that if the players have lost motivation then as well as each of them taking a long look at themselves it would be clear that neither Goodwin or Thompson are up to much as leaders.

Too true kemp, the thommo is one of us, the thommo is a god, the thommo
can do no wrong brigade get right on my tits, he's not kicked his arse for months
now.

If he's as big a st mirren fan as he claims to be maybe he should get his finger out
arse and gives us some decent perfomances again....

Great post.

Highlighting the continued effect of aliases on the forum, the ability of so called supporters to forget the best style of play from our club for decades and the willingness of forum members to swallow some threads which are nothing more than agenda.

Also the desire to look at the worst case scenario is astonishing. If you don't become one of this gang you're a happy clapper. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Sure our form since the cup final, even before, has been poor and right now it's fair to be concerned..

Sure the manager has to shoulder the responsibility but as you say, the majority of players, who have been woeful at times, including King Steven, are equally to blame.

I'm sure many supporters are concerned, and I sincerely feel for the guys who attend week in, week out but to think that there are many on here who seem know better than the manager, either in tactics or the transfer market, and the club is frankly hilarious.

The ability to instantly forget we HAVE been after some players is amazing yet they pick on the managers after match comments, the fact he doesn't shout enough and any other nonsense matters.

We are not in a great position, Lennon may get punted, he may not but I'm sure little of what gets posted here will influence that.

Div, are you sure it was Danny who wouldn't sanction a higher wage for Sammy and not the BoD?

Good post from the OP. I'm definitely more clapper than wetter, I wasn't sure getting rid of Gus was the right thing to do at the time, so possibly I am too conservative.

Still think some of the verbals dished out yesterday were beyond the pale.

Decent analysis, Div.

I'd agree that you have to look at a lot of the transfer dealings and be disappointed. If we could have Samson, Carey and Hasselbaink lining up for next weekend I'd feel a lot more confident but then I don't know the truth regarding the budget Danny has to work with as compared to Killie, St Johnstone or Ross County.

Interesting to see you state that the board were worried about the relationship between the youth set up and the first team.

Also worth remembering that if Gus MacPherson was still St Mirren manager then Samson and McGregor would be part time in the 2nd division, John McGinn, Kenny McLean, Thomas Reilly, Mo Yaqub & Anton Brady wouldn't be near our first team, Marc McAusland would be at Queen of the South and Graham Carey might just be some fat guy that used to play for Celtic youth.

Interesting to see you state that the board were worried about the relationship between the youth set up and the first team.

Also worth remembering that if Gus MacPherson was still St Mirren manager then Samson and McGregor would be part time in the 2nd division, John McGinn, Kenny McLean, Thomas Reilly, Mo Yaqub & Anton Brady wouldn't be near our first team, Marc McAusland would be at Queen of the South and Graham Carey might just be some fat guy that used to play for Celtic youth.

Good points Kemp....I was in the Gus camp but binning all the youth every season can't be a smart play. A balance has to be reached but I'm pretty sure right now we have it wrong. "Nobody said it was easy...and nobody said It could be so hard"

My thoughts on this subject from another thread...

A lot of talk of Thompson for new manager but that doesn't fill me with any confidence.

I don't think he's the type we need as things stand. No managerial experience and he's well and truly one of the lads. I don't see how that would work turning to be their boss.
He's not really set a great example for respect of the manager either. Refusing to come off the bench at the end of last season.

I like Danny but have had a sneaky feeling for months that the senior players take the absolute c**t down there. He seems to have lost the respect of these guys IMO and its amazing what power the players have in these situations.

No way back for Danny IMO without clearing out pretty much everyone and starting again and we all know that can't happen. Only one outcome for me but the players need to take a good look at themselves IMO.

Edited by davidg

I believe he is going to go because the players do not want to play for him anymore.

Decent post that is pretty close to the mark. (Could've done without having a pop at others but that's an argument for another thread)

This was the comment that stood out for me. If this truly is the case then it's a f**king poor show. That being said these situations never arise without some tipping point or indeed a series of events that drive a wedge between players and manager. I know it's a cliche, however, if he has "lost the dressing room" then it's all over for him. Managers never win these battles as clubs have too much invested in the playing staff. Remember Le Guen at Sevco?

There's so much pish that gets spouted on here that even if someone is "in the know" we'll all probably miss it amongst the other rubbish and so we don't really have any insight into what goes on behind the dressing room wall.

Football's a fickle mistress. Win the next two, against very beatable opponents, and buy some breathing space to fix some of the issues. Lose the next two and I'm afraid we'll be looking for a new boss next Saturday night.

Div, are you sure it was Danny who wouldn't sanction a higher wage for Sammy and not the BoD?

Good post from the OP. I'm definitely more clapper than wetter, I wasn't sure getting rid of Gus was the right thing to do at the time, so possibly I am too conservative.

Still think some of the verbals dished out yesterday were beyond the pale.

I don't know the detail behind every situation but my general understanding is that Danny is given a budget to spend. How he chooses to spend that is up to him.

I don't think the board would sanction a move that smashed the general wage structure at the club but at the end of the day I believe the manager makes the decisions as to how his money is spent.

I've no idea how much Samson was on before or what he is on at Kilmarnock but it's reasonable to assume he wasn't on much when he joined us as we plucked him from part time football at Ayr. He very seldom let us down, and even got into the Scotland squads.

Looking at some posts together Danny looks like a condemned man before the ICT game....He talks of reduced budgets ....The squad is the poorest in numbers and quality for many years. Div comes on here with a very uncharacteristic rant at Lennon. Anyone else think he is in with the BOD in deflecting the blame?........No comment is noted from CS losing his license and being unable to commute to Paisley.

Looking at some posts together Danny looks like a condemned man before the ICT game....He talks of reduced budgets ....The squad is the poorest in numbers and quality for many years. Div comes on here with a very uncharacteristic rant at Lennon. Anyone else think he is in with the BOD in deflecting the blame?........No comment is noted from CS losing his license and being unable to commute to  Paisley.

Hardly a rant was it? Pretty thoughtful analysis imo.

Numbers yes, quality not so sure. We stayed up before playing John Potter for a whole season FFS.

I don't know the detail behind every situation but my general understanding is that Danny is given a budget to spend. How he chooses to spend that is up to him.

I don't think the board would sanction a move that smashed the general wage structure at the club but at the end of the day I believe the manager makes the decisions as to how his money is spent.

I've no idea how much Samson was on before or what he is on at Kilmarnock but it's reasonable to assume he wasn't on much when he joined us as we plucked him from part time football at Ayr. He very seldom let us down, and even got into the Scotland squads.

Sammy was the best keeper we've had fit years and a vital cog.

Perhaps as some have said Danny underestimates the importance of a top class GK, which Sammy is imo.

Still, even with Buffon in goal we would have got beat yesterday and in Inverness.