Thompson For Manager? Time To Up Your Medication, Gents.

Kemp

I was talking about the respect thing yesterday, I wonder if there is any fear/respect from the snr players towards DL and TC. DL needs to be strong enough to manage these guys but he no doubt worries about about how to deal with fans favourites.

I remember a story (not sure if true or not) about Basher having Gus pinned up against the dressing room wall, Basher hardly played again and was released. Gus was prepared to upset the fans and let the club legends like Basher and Ricky Gillies go, I'm not sure Danny would be confident enough to try to question Thommo or other senior players in fear of upsetting them. He could probably do with a real no nonsense number 2, in the Andy Millen mould to instill the fear/respect on these guys.

thats where Shuggie should come in as player coachand if Danny falls on his sword then Shuggie is the next manager. Couldn't see Shuggie taking shit from senior pros at the club.

yesterday I was wanting Danny to go but have mellowed overnight and I hope in Danny we can trust. C.O.Y.S

Edited by stevie-dee

To be honest if Danny gets the bullet, and I know I will be shot down over this, I would offer the gig to Craig Levein.

Bang bang

Although, with our attacking options it could be the board have been signing players for this appointment?

4-6-0

Edited by davidg

To be honest if Danny gets the bullet, and I know I will be shot down over this, I would offer the gig to Craig Levein.

I know Craig brown would take it and steady the ship. He would be the ideal man to sort this team out. I know he said he retired but speaking to him during the summer I feel he might do it

Well thought out, measured, insightful critiques with constructive debate following.

This is a breath of fresh air.

Let's all get behind the team and back them. Danny is our man until his position is deemed untenable by the BoD. I sincerely want him to succeed and even if he doesn't I will wish him well.

Once again reasoned criticism is fine, we are all aware of the flaws, but let's stop the infighting and the booing. The respect shown by this man to all of us has been staggering and he deserves more than he is getting.

Case and point being his humility and staggering kindness of offering the League Cup to the fans when getting off the bus back from Hampden (it's on the DVD if you want to see it for yourself).

Yes it is frustrating following St.Mirren, but it always has been and it always will. However, unlike what all the detractors of Scottish football would have you believe the past 20 years have seen us go from the brink to having:

1. A stable future with financial security.

2. The best quality of players we've had since the late 80s.

3. A new purpose built Stadium.

4. Our very own training facilities.

5. Youth players making the first team and being a success, some having left and and others still present.

6. A manager who when he gets it right has us playing the best football I've ever seen us play and many forum users have not seen since Fergie's Furies...

7. Two Hampden finals, one painful and the other ecstasy.

Why are we all not ecstatic by the above? Why the jealous looks over the shoulder at two new clubs in the Highlands who weren't saddled with debt and haven't had to come back from the brink? Why the calls to spend to accumulate, when there are innumerable examples of how teams flit too close to the sun only to get shot down and even go out of business.

Like him, love him, dislike him or hate him, he is our manager and his conduct towards us alone means he deserves more. If he fails, we fail and subsequently have to rebuild. If this happens lets all get behind who is to come rather than the split camp that has existed from day one. However if he succeeds as I hope he will, let's get behind him and stop the pointless barrage against him.

Edited by Bart Simpson

Wrong country but the point stands, Craig's record as a manager was poor.

It's always amusing how many people can have a go at Danny Lennon or Stewart Gilmour for poor decision making and then in the next breath announce if they were in charge never mind Tommy Craig or Steven Thompson but the next manager would be Hugh Murray, Paul Hartley or John Potter!

Edited by Kemp

I'm against appointing Thompson and Teale as player manager and player assistant manager, as we need both players focussed on scoring and creating the goals to give us a decent season in the SPL.

I am against firing Danny Lennon after 3 games in any season. His record in management prior to St Mirren was promising. After a poor first season with us he rang the changes and delivered our best top flight finish in 25 years, last season he was only 2 or 3 results from bettering that and he won the cup as well. I think it was a brave decision to get rid of fringe players like Carey, Imrie, Guy etc and if Mair decides to stay put whilst knowing he has no hope of regular 1st team footie in his last 18 months with us.

People are speaking about DL having a disastrous transfer window but I think McGowan, Harkins, Grainger, Newton are all definitely good bits of business for us and we have the core of a decent team, and with a new right back on the way we are 50% of the way into restructuring our leaky defence and if we can add some firepower and get McGowan,McGinn, Teale, McLean on the ball and in decent form we'll do OK.

Last week it was Derek Adams and Pat Fenlon who were getting the treatment from the media for being 'under pressure due to bad results and performances'. This week it seems as if they have turned their attention in trying to engineer a managerial sacking on Danny Lennon. Are we not on a similar amount of points as ICT were at this stage last season?

It's always amusing how many people can have a go at Danny Lennon or Stewart Gilmour for poor decision making and then in the next breath announce if they were in charge never mind Tommy Craig or Steven Thompson but the next manager would be Hugh Murray, Paul Hartley or John Potter!

Interesting? Maybe. Amusing? No.

Sacking a manager, or even discussing it, is never amusing.

If things were to go tits up and DL gets the bullet i woild like to see Peter Houson get the job. I agree with Div CL would be a good solid appointment buy i fear his salary could be a problem.

People that are suggesting thommo ... the guy had just finished his uefa b licence still needs his to do his a and with the next course due in the next close season it wont be him getting appointed in the near future.

thats where Shuggie should come in as player coachand if Danny falls on his sword then Shuggie is the next manager. Couldn't see Shuggie taking shit from senior pros at the club.

yesterday I was wanting Danny to go but have mellowed overnight and I hope in Danny we can trust. C.O.Y.S

I'm not sure Shuggie is a nasty enough person, yes he was a very tough player, but again is one of the nicest people you meet.

I knew the Craig Levein shout would bring out a reaction.

If you actually forget his time as national team coach though his record at club level in Scotland is excellent. He did well at every club he managed in the SPL.

At the end of the day that's what is important.

I don't think salary would be an issue. This is a guy who took the Raith Rovers job after he was sacked by Leicester City. He needs back on the ladder and at the end of the day he is earning hee haw right now.

Anyway, Danny is the gaffer at the moment and if he gets a couple of wins this week, and brings in a couple of good new players, then this time next week everything in the garden will be rosy again.

COYS !

I knew the Craig Levein shout would bring out a reaction.

If you actually forget his time as national team coach though his record at club level in Scotland is excellent. He did well at every club he managed in the SPL.

At the end of the day that's what is important.

I don't think salary would be an issue. This is a guy who took the Raith Rovers job after he was sacked by Leicester City. He needs back on the ladder and at the end of the day he is earning hee haw right now.

Anyway, Danny is the gaffer at the moment and if he gets a couple of wins this week, and brings in a couple of good new players, then this time next week everything in the garden will be rosy again.

COYS !

Speak to people down here about Craig Levein. You won't find a single person with a decent word to say about him.

Thompson wants the job .

how do you know this? Is there a suggestion he is undermining DL to engineer this? I know your answer will be no, but if he or any other player is not supporting the manager it, imo, is criminal and I would be very saddened by that, especially if it is to try to oust him from his job.