Thompson For Manager? Time To Up Your Medication, Gents.

Kemp

Thompson wants the job , it would be a seamless appointment for the BOD ,it's a no brainer cheap.

FIFY.

This is something I feel mighty uneasy about. All this talk of Thompson wanting the job. What does that say about his motivation to buckle down and get on with the job that he is currently employed to do? And, perhaps more crucially, what does it say for his attitude towards the current manager - his manager?

The way you're potraying the off-field situation at the club just now, it almost seems that a coup against Danny is being plotted. Might that explain some below par performances? I think it must certainly raise a few question in that respect. The manager is under pressure, and certain players know this, so down tools to some degree as this can only heap yet more pressure on the former's shoulders?

Wild and fanciful conspiracy theory? Quite possibly, but absolutely inevitable nonetheless. Any talk of Thompson being groomed (or grooming himself) for the manager's job is hugely divisive, and this can only be damaging.

Whether or not Danny has what it takes to continue in his post and make progress at the club is very much open to reasonable debate, but if the knives are out behind the scenes, he doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. It would be pretty sickening, to be honest.

I also fear you might actually be doing Thompson a diservice in painting him as the the guy in the wings who is looking for any opportunity to usurp Lennon. I appreciate that you've not directly suggested that this is what is afoot, but some of your posts are indicative of this scenario.

Thompson needs to get on with the job he is paid for, and should leave his manager - while he remains in post - to do likewise. As I've consistently stated (and many others are of the same opinion), I think appointing Thompson to the manager's post should Danny leave would be a major error on the part of the BoD.

No it's not the point. Posted Image

Div, quite clearly, stated his record at club level is more than acceptable.

Why "people down there don't have a decent word to say about him" means more than nothing, I'm stumped.

Is it really that difficult to work out!??

His 'record at club level' isn't faultless. He didnt do well at Leicester City. Hence why you won't find anyone down here with a decent word to say about him.

So, any suggestion that he only failed as Scotland manager isn't correct.

From Wikipedia

His impressive record in Scotland caught the attention of Leicester City, who appointed Levein as manager on 29 October 2004. However after a poor start to the 2005–06 season, which left the club languishing third from bottom in the Championship relegation zone, he was sacked as manager on 25 January 2006. No one in Leicester has a decent word to say about him because of this.

Is it really that difficult to work out!??

His 'record at club level' isn't faultless. He didnt do well at Leicester City. Hence why you won't find anyone down here with a decent word to say about him.

So, any suggestion that he only failed as Scotland manager isn't correct.

Sorry, Div stated, and this what I meant, in Scotland. wink.png

Cheers, I was aware of his time down there.

Glad Wiki spoke to "everyone" in Leicester. tongue.png

It's not surprising to see this place go in to meltdown after the weekend's result but some people really are seriously losing the plot, particularly that section of forum users who now seem to have completely flipped; the rabid foaming at the mouth anti Danny Lennon brigade.

Case in point is the group clamouring for Steven Thompson to be appointed manager, a decision that were it to be taken this week would surely be one of the most illogical and disastrous in the history of our fine club (I won't even consider the Kenny Shiels for manager collective as nothing more than a wind-up).

I will agree that Danny is looking likely to be out of a job soon unless he turns the league form around quickly (or wins the cup again...) and he must carry the can for not going in to the season completely prepared but why are the players getting off scot free here? And above all, why are some of you calling for two of them to be made manager and assistant manager?

It looks to me like Danny Lennon has fallen victim to "player power" and some the senior players have f**ked him over. The situations with Guy and Imrie tell their own story. Yet, if the problem with the team is that the players are not motivated ("he has lost the dressing room") why would you want Thompson and Teale to take over the team? They are on the park now and we are "soft" and there are guys like Harkins not bothering to pick up players from corners and Jim Goodwin, club captain, barely showing up. Davidg posted on another thread that Thompson refused to come off the bench in a game at the end of last season. It's up to him to back that quite serious allegation up, but if true then it paints a very sad picture of what goes on behind the scenes at St Mirren Park.

Graham Spiers said on the radio yesterday that the St Mirren support, like no other support in Scotland, have had it for their current manager since the day he started. And he is correct.

I think the reason that often this forum falls in to squabble between the "knicker wetters" and "happy clappers" is that many of us are not happy clappers but just feel deeply uncomfortable with the anonymity afforded to users of this forum being abused to launch a sustained, non-stop attack on one man. One poster uses so many aliases I believe he uses some to support Danny and others to berate him on a non stop basis. Another enjoys berating the manager so much that his calls for "wee clueless" to f**k off don't even change depending on who is in charge, Gus and Danny have enjoyed the same abuse and same nickname. Some posts from those like to claim to be in the know are now just "Bye Dan", "Thompson will be in charge now" etc Pretty poor stuff in my opinion....and I find it difficult to read all that directed at one man while the board, chairman and senior players, some of whom really have taken the piss I suspect, are still all lauded as heros.

The annoying thing is these guys have kept up such a sustained campaign of pish talking that most of what they say is now believed. Due to that, many of you now seem to be football luddites calling for a return to the long ball game (last used to any effect by Norway around 1994) or convinced that Danny having led Cowdenbeath to succesive promotions, got us to our ever finish in 25 years while playing some very attractive football, and won us the league cup is "tactially clueless". Even though in that very League Cup final he switched the shape of the team around and we went from 1-0 down to 3-1 up.

I've never seen St Mirren play as good football as we did at the start of Lennon's 2nd season, I recall us ripping Dundee Utd apart at Tannadice until wee Nigel got sent off and it was sensational. The victories of Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen we have enjoyed in recent seasons were great & accomponied with great football. I really hoped we would get better at that style of attacking play and the under 20s and all youth levels would learn to play the same style. It's that approach that Scottish football needs.

So it is sad for me to see that it now seems to be the end of the line for Danny Lennon. I don't believe he is leaving because of a stubborn commitment to playing passing football, or due a lack of tactical awareness, I believe he is going to go because the players do not want to play for him anymore.

And so I ask again, if there has been a collapse of moral and motivation in the dressing room, how could any of you possibly not hold the senior players at this club just as accountable as the manager, and why on earth would you want to see one of them take over as manager?

It's not surprising to see this place go in to meltdown after the weekend's result but some people really are seriously losing the plot, particularly that section of forum users who now seem to have completely flipped; the rabid foaming at the mouth anti Danny Lennon brigade.

Case in point is the group clamouring for Steven Thompson to be appointed manager, a decision that were it to be taken this week would surely be one of the most illogical and disastrous in the history of our fine club (I won't even consider the Kenny Shiels for manager collective as nothing more than a wind-up).

I will agree that Danny is looking likely to be out of a job soon unless he turns the league form around quickly (or wins the cup again...) and he must carry the can for not going in to the season completely prepared but why are the players getting off scot free here? And above all, why are some of you calling for two of them to be made manager and assistant manager?

It looks to me like Danny Lennon has fallen victim to "player power" and some the senior players have f**ked him over. The situations with Guy and Imrie tell their own story. Yet, if the problem with the team is that the players are not motivated ("he has lost the dressing room") why would you want Thompson and Teale to take over the team? They are on the park now and we are "soft" and there are guys like Harkins not bothering to pick up players from corners and Jim Goodwin, club captain, barely showing up. Davidg posted on another thread that Thompson refused to come off the bench in a game at the end of last season. It's up to him to back that quite serious allegation up, but if true then it paints a very sad picture of what goes on behind the scenes at St Mirren Park.

Graham Spiers said on the radio yesterday that the St Mirren support, like no other support in Scotland, have had it for their current manager since the day he started. And he is correct.

I think the reason that often this forum falls in to squabble between the "knicker wetters" and "happy clappers" is that many of us are not happy clappers but just feel deeply uncomfortable with the anonymity afforded to users of this forum being abused to launch a sustained, non-stop attack on one man. One poster uses so many aliases I believe he uses some to support Danny and others to berate him on a non stop basis. Another enjoys berating the manager so much that his calls for "wee clueless" to f**k off don't even change depending on who is in charge, Gus and Danny have enjoyed the same abuse and same nickname. Some posts from those like to claim to be in the know are now just "Bye Dan", "Thompson will be in charge now" etc Pretty poor stuff in my opinion....and I find it difficult to read all that directed at one man while the board, chairman and senior players, some of whom really have taken the piss I suspect, are still all lauded as heros.

The annoying thing is these guys have kept up such a sustained campaign of pish talking that most of what they say is now believed. Due to that, many of you now seem to be football luddites calling for a return to the long ball game (last used to any effect by Norway around 1994) or convinced that Danny having led Cowdenbeath to succesive promotions, got us to our ever finish in 25 years while playing some very attractive football, and won us the league cup is "tactially clueless". Even though in that very League Cup final he switched the shape of the team around and we went from 1-0 down to 3-1 up.

I've never seen St Mirren play as good football as we did at the start of Lennon's 2nd season, I recall us ripping Dundee Utd apart at Tannadice until wee Nigel got sent off and it was sensational. The victories of Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen we have enjoyed in recent seasons were great & accomponied with great football. I really hoped we would get better at that style of attacking play and the under 20s and all youth levels would learn to play the same style. It's that approach that Scottish football needs.

So it is sad for me to see that it now seems to be the end of the line for Danny Lennon. I don't believe he is leaving because of a stubborn commitment to playing passing football, or due a lack of tactical awareness, I believe he is going to go because the players do not want to play for him anymore.

And so I ask again, if there has been a collapse of moral and motivation in the dressing room, how could any of you possibly not hold the senior players at this club just as accountable as the manager, and why on earth would you want to see one of them take over as manager?

Forgetting who is going to be manager even if it's Danny that is staying one league win since January or 3 league wins in 9 MONTH is a shocking and unacceptable stat. Not caring about top six finish all any of us want is to be in the top league. We in general are a patient lot but there is only so much fans can take. The romance of the cup win id wonderful but it's the bread and butter of the league that is important to our club.

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

I know Levein did not fare well down South, but his record in Scotland is good. He did very well at Hearts and at Dundee Utd.

Oh, and he managed Cowdenbeath, which should make him hot favourite for the job thumbup2.gif

You can look at Terry Butcher as an example. Did good stuff at Motherwell, has worked a miracle at ICT, yet was decidedly pish south of the border at both Brentford and Coventry.

I would say he is arguably the best manager in the SPL at the moment. Engages brilliantly with his fans, works wonders on a small budget, and has his team playing fast attacking football that is pleasing on the eye.

In fact f**k it, Butcher for Saints !

Wrong country but the point stands, Craig's record as a manager was poor.

It's always amusing how many people can have a go at Danny Lennon or Stewart Gilmour for poor decision making and then in the next breath announce if they were in charge never mind Tommy Craig or Steven Thompson but the next manager would be Hugh Murray, Paul Hartley or John Potter!

Agree the others would be hopeless appointments, but what's wrong with Paul Hartley? His CV at the moment is far more impressive than Lennons was when he got our job in 2010:

Hartley's won back to back promotions from the 3rd to the 1st for soley footballing reasons - something which Lennon never did. He also won the 3rd division title - something which Lennon never did, and his team are currently sitting third in the Championship, whereas Lennon never had any experience of managing at that level when he got our job.

I could also write a similar review about Colin Cameron. Both are also ex international players who played in England, so they will have a larger network of contacts than Danny.

Either of them would be my first choice as new manager.

I'm against appointing Thompson and Teale as player manager and player assistant manager, as we need both players focussed on scoring and creating the goals to give us a decent season in the SPL.

I am against firing Danny Lennon after 3 games in any season. His record in management prior to St Mirren was promising. After a poor first season with us he rang the changes and delivered our best top flight finish in 25 years, last season he was only 2 or 3 results from bettering that and he won the cup as well. I think it was a brave decision to get rid of fringe players like Carey, Imrie, Guy etc and if Mair decides to stay put whilst knowing he has no hope of regular 1st team footie in his last 18 months with us.

People are speaking about DL having a disastrous transfer window but I think McGowan, Harkins, Grainger, Newton are all definitely good bits of business for us and we have the core of a decent team, and with a new right back on the way we are 50% of the way into restructuring our leaky defence and if we can add some firepower and get McGowan,McGinn, Teale, McLean on the ball and in decent form we'll do OK.

Last week it was Derek Adams and Pat Fenlon who were getting the treatment from the media for being 'under pressure due to bad results and performances'. This week it seems as if they have turned their attention in trying to engineer a managerial sacking on Danny Lennon. Are we not on a similar amount of points as ICT were at this stage last season?

It's not just about this season, it's about our form since the cup win. It's disastrous, the club has went backwards on every level.

I have no idea why you're saying 'Harkins is definitely a good bit of business for us', what on earth makes you say that? Did you see him for the third goal on Saturday? Did you see either of his performances in the highlands? He's a liability.

To return to the role of the BoD in all this, they have been hell of a quiet of late.

A wee statement to the effect that, while acknowledging that the start to the season hasn't been ideal, the manager has their backing, and they are working together to get things moving in the right direction, blah...blah...platitude after platitude...blah... This seems to be the done thing elsewhere, and can help to settle uneasy supporters, thus affording those whose responsibility it is to make the required improvements the opportunity to do so.

Surely they either back him or sack him. As things stand, it seems they are doing neither.

Granted it is very early in the season to expect the club to make any such statement, but it might clarify the lay of the land and allow us to get on with what we'd all rather be doing - ie: supporting the team - as opposed to speculating about who might be the manager's replacement etc.

Personally think talk of lennon being sacked is ridiculous, 4 mths ago we had 15k fans in the streets of paisley and took an incredible support to hampden. I believe if any has to go its greedy gilmour, this man is absolutely ripping the c**t out us fans with his budget slashing methods on the team. our budget was no doubt slashed IMO when the outcome of hearts 15 point deduction was sealed. no doubt gilmour has looked at this and newly promoted partick and thought ok were good enough enough to finish 10th this season so why give funds to the manager when we only have to look over our shoulders at 2 clubs mentioned, anything higher in the league is a total bonus. sadly for danny, partick have been from what ive seen a pretty well organised team capable of holding there own "all be it early days" and hearts r playing with young guys who have no fears in going to grounds and getting results. The most upsetting part of all of this is looking back at paisley on that march night and not being able to move in pubs up n down the town, knowing deep down that as majestic as this is, seeing the town celebrate with the saints, when the hangover sets in we will go back to crowds of 3 n half thousand for home games. as much as gilmour is to blame for this to an extent and as much as danny is to blame to an extent i think the real people to look at is the fans, i understand a lot of the ppl out celebrating that night where probably friends of a saint mirren fan etc and got caught up in the atmosphere "i know this as a few of my friends where out that night and support rangers" if we could get these fans through the gates and push to get 6000 a week down at saint mirren park what a difference that would make to morale and the clubs finances. personally i think we shoudl drastically slash the price of adult tickets from £23/£21 for adults down to £12. teenagers £8 and kids £3 what a difference this would make. it would be a big gesture from the board who in recent years have had no grasp on the harsh realities of the working man in these times of hardship. cant see it happening but it would be a fantastic getsure and i do believe with those set prices we would be getting massive crowds, instead of a third full stadium. Back to more pressing matters on the field, lennon has signed more hits than misses, my only criticism of the guy is he's to nice for his own good, a dont think he has the ruthless streak in him needed for dealing with poor player performances, we will be ok this season if the defence is sorted and i mean 2 new centre backs and a goal scorer is signed. macausland is not a premier league defender and this is not only a view shared by me but by many saints fans i know, hes honest enough and fully commited but is way out his depth at the top level of scottish football. goodwin is my hoice at the back with mcgregor the way it is at the moment, but goodwin is also guilty of going missing during matches. all in all 3 games into the season and talk of lennon out is a joke, playing some great football in recent years and yeh its not always payed off, but id rather going out and giving teams a go and losing, rather than what we where subjected to under gus for all those years. as for the majority of potential replacements for the managers job none of them would do a better job than lennon under these circumstances. untill gilmour offers more cash, danny has to deal with the deck he has. hope the danny out brigade take a step back and realise a good thing when they have it

Firstly, great post by OP, but I can't believe folk on here are now discussing who our new manager should be. It's absolutely shocking.

It seems the sacking of Danny Lennon is a fait acompli if you were to read this topic.

Yes, I know the performances and results have been poor lately, but we are 3 games into the season with the transfer window still open.

Let's get behind the manager and the team for the two very important games coming up this week.

Forgetting who is going to be manager even if it's Danny that is staying one league win since January or 3 league wins in 9 MONTH is a shocking and unacceptable stat. Not caring about top six finish all any of us want is to be in the top league. We in general are a patient lot but there is only so much fans can take. The romance of the cup win id wonderful but it's the bread and butter of the league that is important to our club.

Had to laugh at that bit!!!lol.gif

To return to the role of the BoD in all this, they have been hell of a quiet of late.

A wee statement to the effect that, while acknowledging that the start to the season hasn't been ideal, the manager has their backing, and they are working together to get things moving in the right direction, blah...blah...platitude after platitude...blah... This seems to be the done thing elsewhere, and can help to settle uneasy supporters, thus affording those whose responsibility it is to make the required improvements the opportunity to do so.

Surely they either back him or sack him. As things stand, it seems they are doing neither.

Granted it is very early in the season to expect the club to make any such statement, but it might clarify the lay of the land and allow us to get on with what we'd all rather be doing - ie: supporting the team - as opposed to speculating about who might be the manager's replacement etc.

If they do this, then we know he's out on his arse soon.

I think the big fella will be a future St Mirren manager if that is the route he wants to take his career down when he stops playing but he is one of our best players and we need to get our best players focused on helping us gather a bit of momentum in the league. 3 new signings coming in this week and if we win against Partick this weekend we will be talking about challenging for top 6. A week in football can be a long time

If they do this, then we know he's out on his arse soon.

There is that.

I don't know what would be for the best, but I'd like for things to settle down, as increasing turmoil isn't good for anyone.

We, as supporters, can play our part, by turning up at the matches and backing the team. The manager can play his part, as can the players. Do the BoD have any role here? I think they do. A wee rallying call wouldn't go amiss.

The silence is deafening.

Since when did Graeme Speirs have his finger on the pulse regarding our supporters wanting DL out since day one?

What has the fans in a flap is several players being released and not replaced, an unbalanced squad, crappy pre-season and now a crappy start to the season.

No hidden agenda.

We just don't like the look of things.

I know Levein did not fare well down South, but his record in Scotland is good. He did very well at Hearts and at Dundee Utd.

Oh, and he managed Cowdenbeath, which should make him hot favourite for the job Posted Image

You can look at Terry Butcher as an example. Did good stuff at Motherwell, has worked a miracle at ICT, yet was decidedly pish south of the border at both Brentford and Coventry.

I would say he is arguably the best manager in the SPL at the moment. Engages brilliantly with his fans, works wonders on a small budget, and has his team playing fast attacking football that is pleasing on the eye.

Div I remember saying we should get Butcher when he came back from Oz. However there are a few things that Butcher has done that have had ICT fans calling for his head. He got relegated with them which saints fans would not have accepted and then was vilified for the season when he 'ripped the soul' out the club and got rid of Satan, sorry Tokely and the rest of the Inverness stalwarts. The ICT fans were up in arms these are similar situations to where Danny finds himself just now.

Oh, and he managed Cowdenbeath, which should make him hot favourite for the job Posted Image

Unfortunately, that would take ambition.

Div I remember saying we should get Butcher when he came back from Oz. However there are a few things that Butcher has done that have had ICT fans calling for his head. He got relegated with them which saints fans would not have accepted and then was vilified for the season when he 'ripped the soul' out the club and got rid of Satan, sorry Tokely and the rest of the Inverness stalwarts. The ICT fans were up in arms these are similar situations to where Danny finds himself just now.

Slihjtly misleading bit in bold.

Indeed he was in charge when they got relegated but if you look at the situaion they were in when he was appointed and how close he took them to staying up most would agree he showed enough to prove he had something to offer.

I also made noises around the time it was clear Gus was off the Christmas crad list of most supporters that we should go for Butcher but his previous, of being part of Rangers, was enough to get that idea shot down in flames.