Next St Mirren Manager

Derek Adams over TC?

Nah he was useless and a chequebook manager.

If we were to bring in someone they would have to accept they can only work with the players we have. We can't just sign 6 new players in January unless we get rid of 6. Derek Adams wasted a lot of money in the last 2 seasons at County. Even this season, the new manager has already signed 3 or 4 free agents and I'm sure they'll be signing a few more in January.

If TC was to somehow leave I would put every penny I had on Gary Teale getting the job unless we had new owners. Not saying it would be a good/bad appointment. For talk sake even if TC was sacked, that would mean there would be even less money so there is no chance we would go after someone in a job like Ian Murray for example.

I was under the impression that, having awarded the "manager" a contract, its almost impossible to dismiss him as the pay-off is not affordable. In which case it will have to be at the end of the season after demotion. Yet another feather in the cap for the couldnt care less board.

I admit to having given up the ghost months ago after seeing the kind of players Craig imagined could succeed in the SPFL. I attempted to watch some of the match on BBC Alba last night but just gave up, it was embarrassing quite honestly.

I see Motherwell have parted company with McCall ( who will no doubt pitch up back in his own country shortly), at least they will likely get a better replacement while we are stuck with someone who should never have been appointed in the first place and has delivered exactly as most of us had predicted. Nothing.

I was under the impression that, having awarded the "manager" a contract, its almost impossible to dismiss him as the pay-off is not affordable. In which case it will have to be at the end of the season after demotion. Yet another feather in the cap for the couldnt care less board.

I admit to having given up the ghost months ago after seeing the kind of players Craig imagined could succeed in the SPFL. I attempted to watch some of the match on BBC Alba last night but just gave up, it was embarrassing quite honestly.

I see Motherwell have parted company with McCall ( who will no doubt pitch up back in his own country shortly), at least they will likely get a better replacement while we are stuck with someone who should never have been appointed in the first place and has delivered exactly as most of us had predicted. Nothing.

Who in there right mind would want to run a football club ? If success does not come it's a kick in the teeth from some of the fans. A wee history lesson on what the board did to keep 'our' club alive should be enough to show you how much St Mirren mean to them.

It's all to easy now to stand back and say Tommy Craig was the wrong choice. My own point of view here - if we were not carry so many injuries we would have not a bad team on the park. Bring in Alex Ferguson right now with so many injuries I doubt we would accumulate many points.

It's tough going just now and I'm not saying Tommy is the right man for the job. But I do understand he has a weak team at the moment.

Craig has managed to take over an already weak team from Lennon and make it even weaker by signing non league duds from England who are massively out their depth. Ive said this before (at pre-season in fact) but his contempt for our league, and most importantly, our fans, in bringing in second and third rate players is an insult.However, the blame lies with those who appointed him. As if Lennons media interviews were not embarrassing enough, Craig appears to have no idea why his side keep losing.I can tell him. Its because the players are mostly rubbish, and he signed them !!

Who in there right mind would want to run a football club ? If success does not come it's a kick in the teeth from some of the fans. A wee history lesson on what the board did to keep 'our' club alive should be enough to show you how much St Mirren mean to them.

It's all to easy now to stand back and say Tommy Craig was the wrong choice. My own point of view here - if we were not carry so many injuries we would have not a bad team on the park. Bring in Alex Ferguson right now with so many injuries I doubt we would accumulate many points.

It's tough going just now and I'm not saying Tommy is the right man for the job. But I do understand he has a weak team at the moment.

'Choice' suggests that other candidates were at least considered, our chairman admitted they were not.

It was Danny out, Tommy straight in.

If the Board had taken a period of time, considered other candidates and then came to the conclusion that Tommy was the man, then imo he would get a longer leash from fans.

However they didn't, we have no idea who might've wanted to take over from Danny. He was just handed the job immediately, and that's what most don't understand.

Id guess that plenty of folk with a better management record than Tommy Craig would have wanted the job. Sadly we will never know.

It's hasn't just come up now. Plenty of people said at the time he was the wrong choice.

'Choice' suggests that other candidates were at least considered, our chairman admitted they were not.

If the Board had taken a period of time, considered other candidates and then came to the conclusion that Tommy was the man, then imo he would get a longer leash from fans.

However they didn't, we have no idea who might've wanted to take over from Danny. He was just handed the job immediately, and that's what most don't understand.

Id guess that plenty of folk with a better management record than Tommy Craig would have wanted the job. Sadly we will never know.

What I do know going by history. Stuart Gilmour and the board like to promote within rightly or wrongly. We are having a bad first quarter through circumstances outwith everyone's control ( injuries )

I'm just glad to be away during a 6 week period because I don't know what my frame of mind would be going along and watching the team at the moment home and away.

What I do know going by history. Stuart Gilmour and the board like to promote within rightly or wrongly. We are having a bad first quarter through circumstances outwith everyone's control ( injuries )

I'm just glad to be away during a 6 week period because I don't know what my frame of mind would be going along and watching the team at the moment home and away.

> We are having a bad first quarter through circumstances outwith everyone's control ( injuries )

I was determined not to post on this thread, however you have inspired me IOBS, that has to be the most naive statement I think I've ever read on this entire forum. notworthy.gif

> We are having a bad first quarter through circumstances outwith everyone's control ( injuries )

I was determined not to post on this thread, however you have inspired me IOBS, that has to be the most naive statement I think I've ever read on this entire forum. notworthy.gif

I was just about to post the exact same thing.

The first thing I'd be asking if so many of my players were injured, or 'injured', would be 'Why?' both on a broad scale and on an individual basis.

To suggest that injuries (or 'injuries') are outwith everyone's control is mental when you have a good class of training facilities, nutritionists, extensive physiotherapy etc.

I was just about to post the exact same thing.

The first thing I'd be asking if so many of my players were injured, or 'injured', would be 'Why?' both on a broad scale and on an individual basis.

To suggest that injuries (or 'injuries') are outwith everyone's control is mental when you have a good class of training facilities, nutritionists, extensive physiotherapy etc.

So the fact so many key players out have absolutely no effect on the team , it that what your saying ?

If so I disagree as everyone of them would be on your starting 11.

Please explain how a player injured is in our control.

What I do know going by history. Stuart Gilmour and the board like to promote within rightly or wrongly. We are having a bad first quarter through circumstances outwith everyone's control ( injuries )I'm just glad to be away during a 6 week period because I don't know what my frame of mind would be going along and watching the team at the moment home and away.

Ian, have had a bad first quarter mainly due to a squad not good enough. Yes, we have lost our main striker but tbh overreliance on an ageing front man was always a gamble and we were fortunate he remained injury free most of last season. Notwithstanding the unpopular appointment of TC, his main mistake was not to resolve our defensive frailties plus bring in a suitable replacement to support Thommo or stand in when he is unfit, knackered or suspended. We should have looked at Clarkston rather than taking an extremely unfit and overweight Ball. Cheesy is a nice loyal guy and has the club at heart but he is not good or consistent enough at this level.

I think there will be a natural improvement when the injured players comeback. I personally don't think this will make our squad strong enough to avoid another relegation scrap. Not being a pessimist but a realist and having watched our team since 67-68, we are short in quality and strength all over the park. As for the manager? Decent coach but no clue tactically.

So the fact so many key players out have absolutely no effect on the team , it that what your saying ?

If so I disagree as everyone of them would be on your starting 11.

Please explain how a player injured is in our control.

No. That's not what I'm saying. That's not what I'm saying at all. It clearly does have an effect on the team.

What I am saying, is that it's extremely naive of you to say that a spate of injuries that we are suffering are outwith the club's control. Is there something going wrong with training practices that could be causing these? Are they connected in any way? I'd have to say, to pick up such a large amount of knocks in such a small time frame, then it is something which would have to be at least looked into, rather than simply dismissed as bad luck.

My other and more pressing concern, seems to be that they are almost all small niggling injuries that no-one seems to be in too much of a rush or put a timescale on returning from. Had we been 3rd top instead of 3rd bottom, you could bet your bottom dollar that a lot of these wee 'niggly injuries' wouldn't be quite so niggly.

No. That's not what I'm saying. That's not what I'm saying at all. It clearly does have an effect on the team.

What I am saying, is that it's extremely naive of you to say that a spate of injuries that we are suffering are outwith the club's control. Is there something going wrong with training practices that could be causing these? Are they connected in any way? I'd have to say, to pick up such a large amount of knocks in such a small time frame, then it is something which would have to be at least looked into, rather than simply dismissed as bad luck.

My other and more pressing concern, seems to be that they are almost all small niggling injuries that no-one seems to be in too much of a rush or put a timescale on returning from. Had we been 3rd top instead of 3rd bottom, you could bet your bottom dollar that a lot of these wee 'niggly injuries' wouldn't be quite so niggly.

Agreed training practises can have an impact on players though I would not think much has changed given the personal have been at the club a few seasons now. I could be wrong of course.

My point in out with our control - A team like us with such a small squad is going to be affected by key players injured we can't put out our strongest 11 think you are misunderstanding what I wrote. Ether that or I'm not explaining my self very well probably the latter.

Other than Thompson, what injuries are we actually talking about?

Osbourne has known long term inury problems and his signing was well within our control

thompsons injury occurred long before the transfer window shut!

other than Thompson, what other long term injuries have we had throughout q1?

Elis Plummer is long term , McGinn was missing on Saturday , Wylde just had an operation. As you pointed out Osborne and Thompson.

Elis Plummer is long term , McGinn was missing on Saturday , Wylde just had an operation. As you pointed out Osborne and Thompson.

IMHO this is the crux of the problem IOBS. You are attempting to explain away a fairly complex situation by blaming injuries. In your own words... 'We are having a bad first quarter through circumstances outwith everyone's control ( injuries )'

Yes, lets throw it in the mix, but it is certainly not the sole reason as you suggest, and I would argue it's not even close to being a significant reason. We all know about Thompson. However as has been discussed on here previously he is 36 years old, and whether we like it or not he is nearing retirement for a main striker. A similar argument applies to 36 year old player/coach Teale. He's back - how did that work out for us against the Arabs? As you mention we have serial injury sufferer Osbourne. With his record is anyone (and I mean anyone) shocked he is crocked? TC signed him. McGinn, as you say, missed out on Saturday, but can you really attribute his absence as being a significant factor through the 'first quarter'? Greg Wylde and Plummer have both featured in defeats in the first 12 games however I agree, given their ages their absence is more of a blow.

Are we to believe though that none of the other 11 Premiership clubs have suffered injuries? Are we to believe that none of the other 11 Premiership clubs have small squads in this era of budget cuts? Is TC the first St Mirren manager in history to manage the club with a few injuries?

Our problems go so much deeper than normal par for the course injury concerns - we get injuries every month of every season, so does every club. St Mirren has been for sale for 4+ years, and in Stewart Gilmour's own words the selling consortium are not the people to take the club forward. They appointed TC as a cost saving measure without even advertising or interviewing for the role, and told us they had the right man for the job. This despite TC having been assistant for 3 years under DL.

TC has entirely failed to address the problems at Centre Half and Centre Forward. Remember, he is on record as admitting he signed Ball, Caldwell and Marwood to learn from Thompson. We needed a replacement, not a selection of apprentices whose own cv's screamed that they did NOT score goals.

As things stand in the league we have played 12, Won 2, Drawn 2 and Lost 8. Our GD is -11 and have 8 points from a possible 36.

As a manager TC's win percentage is currently 16.67%.

If it helps you to pass this off as being down to nothing more than injuries then that's fine. But don't expect the rest of us to buy it.