Next St Mirren Manager

Some Jimmy Calderwood stats for you.....

Dunfermline - 38% win ratio

Aberdeen - 41.% win ratio

Over 400 games in charge between these 2 clubs

Took over Killie in January who had won 16% of their games.

Win ration of 30% after this and kept them up.

Took over Ross County mid Feb when they had only won 3 games all season (12% win ratio)

40% win ratio for the rest of the season.

Can never understand the negative reaction when his name is suggested. I'd take him in a heart beat to get us out of this mess.

Edited by davidg

Some Jimmy Calderwood stats for you.....

Dunfermline - 38% win ratio

Aberdeen - 41.% win ratio

Over 400 games in charge between these 2 clubs

Took over Killie in January who had won 16% of their games.

Win ration of 30% after this and kept them up.

Took over Ross County mid Feb when they had only won 3 games all season (12% win ratio)

40% win ratio for the rest of the season.

Can never understand the negative reaction when his name is suggested. I'd take him in a heart beat to get us out of this mess.

I agree. If we are going to go external then who better than Calderwood as he has a proven track record of keeping struggling teams up.

He took over ICT at the end of January when they were 2 points behind Falkirk and 8 points behind us.

In the end they were relegated Only because their goal difference was worse than ours.

They bounced straight back to the SPL and finished 7th the next season, 9 points ahead of 8th spot.

Butcher would be a sound appointment if interested.

I have to agree with you, David.

Exactly what I was thinking as reading through posts.

Delusion springs to mind if we feel we can't consider Butcher or Billy Davies.

At this point our players need motivating, confidence building and in some cases a boot up the backside.

Even if we end up going down, we go down fighting.

I couldn't think of two better candidates

Forget previous records these guys are exactly the type of manager we need right now I do feel Davies might be unaffordable though.

Long term I feel we need a fresh approach, the players need to hear a different voice.

I'd steer clear of Lomas, not a great manager at all. When he was in charge of St Johnstone it was Tommy Wright who was more like the manager. He wasn't a very popular guy amongst the players up there.

I'd be surprised if Calderwood would take the job - I don't think he would be prepared to work for St Mirren under the current board - he's not a fan of them from what I heard.

I'm not sure about Agent Stark - lovely guy apparently, loves his stats and video analysis as part of his coaching. He's available, works well with the younger players, would have built up plenty of contacts during his time with the Scotland under 21s, more importantly he'd take the job in a heartbeat and he's free.

He took over ICT at the end of January when they were 2 points behind Falkirk and 8 points behind us.

In the end they were relegated Only because their goal difference was worse than ours.

They bounced straight back to the SPL and finished 7th the next season, 9 points ahead of 8th spot.

Butcher would be a sound appointment if interested.

He did manage to get them above us in that short period... before leading them to relegation!

A few Killie supoorting mates told me that Locke does have some kind of release clause in his deal with them that lets him walk if a club comes in for him. It's either a minimal payment or no payment at all

It would have to be the no payment at all option. whistling.gif

Why would anyone hold against Terry Butcher what happened at Hibs? Everyone is shite at Hibs, and Petrie bagged managers at every AGM to keep the heat away from himself.

Butcher inherited a toxic dressing room there with a distinct lack of character in it - as witnessed finally by the Accies capitulation after a good result at NDP.

I think Butcher made mistakes in that one too. I think he thought Hibs were safe, and started to plan for next season. Telling folk they weren't good enough and having to go back to them was poor. Don't doubt he can build a good side if given time and I'm not sure why Hibs chucked him so early, yes the relegation was awful but the backroom and off-field stuff hampered Hibs for years.

Calderwood does have a good record, but I think he always needs a wee bit of finance behind him and I'm not sure we can have that.

Stark is just uninspiring all round, and the performances latterly with the u21s was terrible given the talent we had.

I wonder if we go with a manager to the end of the season to see where that takes us?

If people thought Gus McPhersons teams were dull and boring, Billy Davies will take insipid to a new level. The man is straight from the Craig Brown and Craig Levein mould of football.

When he was at Motherwell he was given a huge budget by John Boyle who targeted getting Rangers and Celtic fans through the turnstyles to watch Motherwell at home if their club was away. Davies bought in players like Goram, Spencer, and Ged Brannan all on huge wages, ignored the youth resources at the club and managed to get them playing some of the most one paced, lackluster and defensive football I've seen in a long time in the Scottish game.

Yet for all that he's a big name that I doubt would stoop to taking the St Mirren job.

If people thought Gus McPhersons teams were dull and boring, Billy Davies will take insipid to a new level. The man is straight from the Craig Brown and Craig Levein mould of football.

When he was at Motherwell he was given a huge budget by John Boyle who targeted getting Rangers and Celtic fans through the turnstyles to watch Motherwell at home if their club was away. Davies bought in players like Goram, Spencer, and Ged Brannan all on huge wages, ignored the youth resources at the club and managed to get them playing some of the most one paced, lackluster and defensive football I've seen in a long time in the Scottish game.

Yet for all that he's a big name that I doubt would stoop to taking the St Mirren job.

Turnstyle

Lackluster

Lost your spell chek?

Thats a slight absurd argument fella.

The Youth Academy proper has only been in place for 4 years

not sure where you are getting that from div

the youth academy has been there for more than 10 years and longwell has been there all that time

the youth academy didn't just start with the new training ground!

to suggest its only been here 4 years is absurd!

10 years, no transfer fees and a bunch of kids who have us 2nd bottom of the league

its been an unmitigated disaster and instead of happy clapping it we should be calling for change

Edited by a50lennyc

Billy Stark strikes me as a bit like TC. Too risky imo. Didn't do much with with the Under 21's, even though we have had a talented lot to choose from in the last few years.

Done well at Queens Park, which with respect to them, is a totally different level. Failed at StJohnstone.

Seems to be a respected coach ect.

12 months ago everyone would have taken Butcher in a heartbeat.

He was partly to blame for the Hibs farce but that club has been a joke for a few years, they flirted with disaster before.

If Butcher joined it would be imperative his scout joined too. We haven't had a decent scout for many a year.

not sure where you are getting that from div

the youth academy has been there for more than 10 years and longwell has been there all that time

the youth academy didn't just start with the new training ground!

to suggest its only been here 4 years is absurd!

10 years, no transfer fees and a bunch of kids who have us 2nd bottom of the league

its been an unmitigated disaster and instead of happy clapping I want change.

FFS. After about six posts on the subject of Longwell, I think you've made your point.

You obviously for some reason have a dislike for the man. Start your own topic on the matter.

Now your blaming the kids for our predicament, how old are you. thumbdown.gif

We are not really selecting someone for the long term here, we are picking someone who can keep us up this year from a very difficult starting position.

Jimmy Calderwood is the man with the credentials for that.

Get him signed up on a contract until the end of the season, after that would be the time for an Ian Murray or Stephen Thompson.

Hope Teale and Longwell do well and get the gig.

Me too. It amazes me that fans think that because one internal appointment never worked, that no internal appointment will ever work again. I think Teale and Longwell could be an excellent partnership.

Calderwood would be awful.

A dinosaur who can't get work here anymore for a reason. Last seen walking out some Dutch second tier club because they sold a couple of players. Ask Ryan O'Leary about him. A promising young player who had been recognised at international level, and then retired from football at a young age because Jimmy Calderwood was bullying him about his depression.

There's a reason he isn't very popular at any of his previous clubs. No thanks.

Me too. It amazes me that fans think that because one internal appointment never worked, that no internal appointment will ever work again. I think Teale and Longwell could be an excellent partnership.

Calderwood would be awful.

A dinosaur who can't get work here anymore for a reason. Last seen walking out some Dutch second tier club because they sold a couple of players. Ask Ryan O'Leary about him. A promising young player who had been recognised at international level, and then retired from football at a young age because Jimmy Calderwood was bullying him about his depression.

There's a reason he isn't very popular at any of his previous clubs. No thanks.

Bang on , Longwell's there for a reason the U20's are playing well and the guys are stepping up into the 1st team , so what if we are not making money from selling them on but we also need to buy less players.