Next St Mirren Manager

I can see where you're coming from here. I'm a bit torn, to be honest. If I had a crystal ball that told me we were going to take the drop, I'd have Murray. As we still have a realistic chance of staying up, Butcher might shade it for me, but in the longer term, I'd prefer Murray.

Not sure how much sense that makes. FFS, right enough, it seems like I've never been away!

Makes no sense. Back after your break and still spouting pish. wink.png Get it sorted Craig / Lennon / McPherson / Gilmour / Tangoman / Butcher / Teale / Longwell / Goodwin / Cheesy / Stark / Smith / Murray / Paisley Panda / Paeslack / Bone / Fitzpatrick.......

Edited by pozbaird

Whilst it would be great if we went for Hartley or Murray last summer, who's to say Thompson or Teale won't be the next batch of talented up and coming managers in Scotland. They only way to find out is by giving these guys a chance, in this instance Teale.

One thing definitely in his favour is that as part of the team for some time, he should know very well where our problems lie.

Makes no sense. Back after your break and still spouting pish. wink.png Get it sorted Craig / Lennon / McPherson / Gilmour / Tangoman / Butcher / Teale / Longwell / Goodwin / Cheesy / Stark / Smith / Murray / Paisley Panda / Paeslack / Bone / Fitzpatrick.......

Ah yes, my sabbatical....

The way I figured it, it is as yer mammy would tell you - 'if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'. While Wee Tam remained in the building, I had nothing remotely nice to say, and had chucked it in terms of going to games so had nothing to base my slabberings on had I opted to stay and spout pish other than the increasing sense of utter deflation and creeping indifference that being a St Mirren supporter was fostering.

Suddenly, there is a chink of light, a modicum of hope, a whiff of potential, and a smattering of positivity.

Part-time, fair weather supporter? So be it. Whatever gets you through the day....sorry, season.

Motherwell, Dundee, Killie, Inverness, Aberdeen, Ross County

The above is the sort of run of games that a new Saint Mirren manager would dream of. The decision really needs to be taken as soon as possible after the Celtic game.

Blue Friday?

Ah yes, my sabbatical....

The way I figured it, it is as yer mammy would tell you - 'if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'. While Wee Tam remained in the building, I had nothing remotely nice to say, and had chucked it in terms of going to games so had nothing to base my slabberings on had I opted to stay and spout pish other than the increasing sense of utter deflation and creeping indifference that being a St Mirren supporter was fostering.

Suddenly, there is a chink of light, a modicum of hope, a whiff of potential, and a smattering of positivity.

Part-time, fair weather supporter? So be it. Whatever gets you through the day....sorry, season.

Glory-hunter :)

Why?

Why Murray over Barry Smith? Well Smith has a record of 6 wins 7 draws and 22 defeats in league games since taking over at Alloa in January. Murray has a record of 14 wins, 7 draws and 14 defeats in the same period.

Not saying I particularly want Murray, just that if we're taking someone from the championship then he has a much better record.

Edited by irvine_buddie

I don't know about everyone else but I'm just enjoying the forum being used for sensible and lively discussion (in the main) about the club.

Seems like it's been a long time since that was the case.

Edit: sorry, I'll try to behave....

Edited by Drew

Why Murray over Barry Smith? Well Smith has a record of 6 wins 7 draws and 22 defeats in league games since taking over at Alloa in January. Murray has a record of 14 wins, 7 draws and 14 defeats in the same period.

Not saying I particularly want Murray, just that if we're taking someone from the championship then he has a much better record.

I'm not banging the drum for anyone either but Smith took over Alloa after the window closed and all the loan signings were used up by Hartley, so to stay in the Division was a feat on its own. This season the Alloa squad has been decimated with injuries. On Saturday they had only had 4 subs of which 3 were kids.

At Dundee he took over in administration and 25 points behind and after losing half the squad he begged, borrowed and Stoke layers to claw the deficit back. They were promoted with days to spare to the SPL with a Div 1 squad hence the relegation.

Success for Alloa is staying in the Championship. They have no full time players. Dumbarton have a mixture of FT and PT players.

I'm sure our board will make the correct appointment and we all have differing opinions.

We will all get behind the new manager - for a wee while anyway.

...and just as suddenly, St Mirren will find a new way to boot you in the stones and send those chinks, modicums, whiffs and smatterings of positivity straight back into the gutter.

In all of this, it's pretty much the only outcome that is guaranteed.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm just enjoying the forum being used for sensible and lively discussion (in the main) about the club.

Seems like it's been a long time since that was the case.

Indeed. The more people that come on posting their views, the better the debate*

* One alias per' person, terms and conditions apply.

What miracles had Murray done?

From a Dumbarton fan

What he done for us when he first came in (using the exact same players) was nothing short of outstanding. We had 5 points and were in 10th when he was brought in at the end of November, we finished 7th. I do think he needs a sensible assistant though.

Considering Dumbarton are part time and were a newly promoted team he done pretty well to finish on 43 points considering they only had 5 when he took over.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/division-one/2012-2013/table

The next season they finished 5th,4 points off a play off spot. Again quite impressive considering they are not an established "First Division" team.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/championship/2013-2014/table.

This season they are sitting about where they should be considering the giants in that league.

Not trying to be all negative, but if we end up going down I think the likes of Terry Butcher would be the type of manager who would be able to wheel and deal to get us back up quicker. Did he not with ICT? Seems to find lower league players who have done really well for ICT. Did he not sign the likes of Josh Meekings, Billy McKay, Ross Draper, Aaron Doran and Greg Tansey? all good players in my eyes. if he could do that with us as well as blooding the youth through the squad, then i think he could create a good feeling through the club and the supporters. That's just my opinion though.

My preferred choice of St Mirren manager would be dependant on the clubs ownership , and the type of player that the club wish to sign.

If we have foreign owners wishing to bring in players from abroad , we could probably get by with coaching staff / management already at the club.

If the rumour of new ownership is incorrect , then we need a guy with a knowledge of decent players who will come to Scotland and fit in with our wage structure , and with the strength of character to get the best out of an existing squad low on confidence . Like Terry Butcher .

Steven Thomson would also be a good choice if the right mentor was in place .

Why do people keep going on about Butcher if he ain't going to Motherwell he ain't coming to us.

Also Caldwell keeps getting mentioned, didn't Gilmour publicly slate him for the way he wanted to spend big bucks at Killie before he was dumped? So again no chance.

Or am I missing something?

...and just as suddenly, St Mirren will find a new way to boot you in the stones and send those chinks, modicums, whiffs and smatterings of positivity straight back into the gutter.

In all of this, it's pretty much the only outcome that is guaranteed.

Indeed, but this feels like a wee oasis of relative bliss after what we've had to endure recently (and that's without a ball having been kicked under the care-taker gaffers!).

I genuinely couldn't stomach the forum during the long, dark days of Tommy. It wasn't simply that the guy was so far out of his depth it was painful, it was the pervading sense of misery that was associated with everything surrounding the club. For the record, I don't hold the former manager principally responsible for this. he didn't appoint himself after all, but the time for recriminations is not now. I'll be back at SMP next weekend, and that fair cheers me up. I've missed the matchday experience that I used to enjoy. Even when it was a bit of a habit and even a chore under gus and Danny at times, I at least could muster a degree fo enthusiasm for what was happening on the pitch. In recent months, it has been absolutely brutal in every way, and felt as though the club was dying on its arse. It seems there might be life in the auld dug yet, and I'm looking forward to getting back and offering my support to Teale and Longwell in the interim and the new manager who follows.

It might not be pretty, and it will most likely be painful at times, but we can live with that if there is a bit of passion, direction, and hope. Not too much to ask for, surely?

So, to reiterate.....of the current names in the melting pot, its Butcher or Murray for me. Its good to be able to say, once more, that there are interesting times ahead.

Why do people keep going on about Butcher if he ain't going to Motherwell he ain't coming to us.

Also Caldwell keeps getting mentioned, didn't Gilmour publicly slate him for the way he wanted to spend big bucks at Killie before he was dumped? So again no chance.

Or am I missing something?

Do you know why Butcher knocked back Motherwell?