Next St Mirren Manager

You are thick.

I presented you with facts from his managerial career

You've given no facts, just your opinion, which you're entitled to.

I think he'd be a good short term appointment and you don't.

Time to move on.

You know when you've been Tango'd

My opinion is that he's a cnut! Don't want him near the club. Still, Paisley's sunbed shops would do a roaring trade.

You are thick.

I presented you with facts from his managerial career

You've given no facts, just your opinion, which you're entitled to.

I think he'd be a good short term appointment and you don't.

Time to move on.

You know when you've been Tango'd

I've given you facts, If you don't like them then too bad.

I'll happily play trivial pursuit with you any day. (in fact I think we just did).

Why I don't think he's a good appointment.

1. I think he is a total cock

2. terrible record with youth and like it or not that is what our squad is.

3. terrible record with transfers,

4. has left every club he's been at under a cloud

5. Plays some of the worst football I've seen (and that includes Gus' teams)

6. Why would he come for a short term appointment

7. Clearly has no love for the saints.

Not coming TF move on

Gus Macpherson for me

Saved us from relegation to the Second Division

Got us into the SPL

Kept us in the SPL 4 seasons in a row (the first 2 of which he managed with a £3 million debt and no training ground)

Who can forget some of those classic wins when it really mattered - up at Dingwall to effectively clinch the title, 3-2 at Fir Park after going 2-0 down, the 2-0 win at Falkirk.

When Gus arrived we had just conceded 72 league goals in the First Division. He immediately sorted out the defence and used that as the base.

That is what we need.

Get him back now.

Unlike Arnie he won't be back

Those were his parting words when he left the building

I've given you facts, If you don't like them then too bad.

I'll happily play trivial pursuit with you any day. (in fact I think we just did).

Why I don't think he's a good appointment.

1. I think he is a total cock

2. terrible record with youth and like it or not that is what our squad is.

3. terrible record with transfers,

4. has left every club he's been at under a cloud

5. Plays some of the worst football I've seen (and that includes Gus' teams)

6. Why would he come for a short term appointment

7. Clearly has no love for the saints.

Not coming TF move on

Anything else to add ?

Jimmy Calderwood had a lot to say about the financial situation when he left Killie. I remember thinking at the time that slagging a board for not throwing about money that they didn't have, wasn't a good idea if he wanted to work in Scottish football again.

From the DR;

Jimmy Calderwood last night walked away from Kilmarnock because of unacceptable budget cuts - and a threat to axe coach Sandy Clark.

The ex-Aberdeen boss, who saved the Rugby Park men from the drop, told chairman Michael Johnston he was quitting the post as it was impossible to take the club forward.

Faced with mounting debt, Johnston drew up severe financial restrictions to come into force this summer, including the sale of Killie's best players and a reduction in the Ayrshire club's management team.

Calderwood said: "In the end it was an easy decision to reach because I couldn't fulfil my ambitions under these financial limitations or meet the fans' expectations.

"It was always going to be a tall order to progress but I had considered staying on because the players are a great bunch and the support is so positive.

"The next gaffer will find out for himself how difficult the task will be .

"We had done a lot of work identifying new players both in England and Holland who would definitely improve the quality of the team.

"We were well down that road and they wouldn't have cost anything in transfers. Their wages were reasonable but even so they were still outwith the scale that Killie could afford.

"The chairman wanted to axe one of my staff to save money. That was never going to happen because Jimmy Nicholl, Sandy Clark and me are a team.

The concern is that throughout that article, Calderwood's focus is on his coaching team and his ambitions. Not much interest in the need for budget cuts and realism re financial constraints, to maintain the long term financial security of the club. That's not a good message to send to the BoDs of the vast majority of Scottish clubs.

Brian Little ( remember him?) has just recently been appointed director of football here in Jersey where the standard would be about 3rd division or junior level. Not saying he would be a good appointment for us( moot point as he has just got the job here) but perhaps there may be someone of similar calibre out there who none of us have considered. Interesting couple of weeks coming up. Makes a change from the dread/ hope/ fear experienced over the last few months

I think what this thread has established is there are a lot we don't want.

We need someone who can unite, and get us playing with a system, we don't have one at present. The BOD said they would get right man and pay for it but that guy would have to wheel and deal .

So that rules out Thommo and Teale.

Also Stark IMO , Calderwood is a NO cause Gilmour hates him, Butcher and Malpas I cant see.

It needs to be someone who we wont pay compensation, so that rules out Smith and Murray. I have a horrid feeling its Kenny Sheils, been close on a number of apps at Well and cOUNTY.

My personal fav is staying with Ross County- Derek Adams.

Chris McCart

Before we appointed Danny, the OF obsessed Scottish MSM had Tommy Wilson and Willie McStay as serious contenders. Presumably on the basis that if we these guys were employed by either of the OF, they'd be well able to manage one of the diddy clubs.

Willie McStay did a horrendous job at Ross County, and that means I'd view McCart with the same kind of scepticism.

Btw, Derek Adams is a horrendous individual.

Edited by Edinbuddie

Also Stark IMO , Calderwood is a NO cause Gilmour hates him, Butcher and Malpas I cant see.

It needs to be someone who we wont pay compensation, so that rules out Smith and Murray. I have a horrid feeling its Kenny Sheils, been close on a number of apps at Well and cOUNTY.

How does Gilmour hate Calderwood? Because of one article in the Daily Record where he was quoted as saying Calderwood should learn clubs need to live within their means?

How does Gilmour hate Calderwood? Because of one article in the Daily Record where he was quoted as saying Calderwood should learn clubs need to live within their means?

It also doesn't sit with Calderwood attending at least one match in Paisley last season and gaining access to the stadium via the front doors.

There are two scenarios, if survival is paramount then an old hand will be given the job until the end of the season or a one year deal at best. The other case is, notwithstanding the sale of the club, is to bring a dynamic young manager who will be asked to take the club forward over next 5 years including a complete rebuild if we go down. As much as the short term is a priority, I feel we need someone in who can do a medium to long term job in establishing us as a team that has resolved many of the long term shortcomings on the pitch. If we really want to remain a top flight club then compensation needs to be considered. However, I would rather have someone like Murray than Smith.

Before we appointed Danny, the OF obsessed Scottish MSM had Tommy Wilson and Willie McStay as serious contenders. Presumably on the basis that if we these guys were employed by either of the OF, they'd be well able to manage one of the diddy clubs.

Willie McStay did a horrendous job at Ross County, and that means I'd view McCart with the same kind of scepticism.

My memory on the topic isn't that great but I seem to remember it being widely reported at the time that McStay was actually very high on the list of targets that St Mirren had in 2010 and they only turned to Danny Lennon when McStay refused an interview.

There is a reason St Mirren were constantly linked with the likes of McStay, Wilson, and McDowell in the past and it's got as much to do with their youth development contacts, both playing and scouting, as it is to do with their coaching ability. However I wasn't speculatively putting forward a suggestion. I was told last night that Chris McCart had been sounding out friends within the game on their views on the St Mirren job. The person who told me didn't elaborate much further than that so it could be that McCart was simply contemplating applying for the job or it could be that he's been approached either by an agent or by someone at St Mirren.

It also doesn't sit with Calderwood attending at least one match in Paisley last season and gaining access to the stadium via the front doors.

Drew, clubs have a long standing general agreement that representatives of other clubs will be allowed free access to matches. It could simply have been that Calderwood was on a scouting mission for one club or another.

There are two scenarios, if survival is paramount then an old hand will be given the job until the end of the season or a one year deal at best. The other case is, notwithstanding the sale of the club, is to bring a dynamic young manager who will be asked to take the club forward over next 5 years including a complete rebuild if we go down. As much as the short term is a priority, I feel we need someone in who can do a medium to long term job in establishing us as a team that has resolved many of the long term shortcomings on the pitch. If we really want to remain a top flight club then compensation needs to be considered. However, I would rather have someone like Murray than Smith.

I'd a very similar conversation with an ex-SPFL manager on Thursday. I'd be prepared to accept a relegation if we were going down the route of building a club ethos from top to bottom, basically getting the right people in at all levels to maximise our potential but ensuring that they are all sharing the same strategic vision.

He'd never touch us with a barge pole I suspect, but I'd like someone as determined as Ian Cathro as his views on player development appear great and he also talks positively about building a team of the right people around him and that doesn't mean the same old faces.

A wee bit touchy, no?

Possibly, but very concerned that we are going replace a dud with yet another cheap dud, Adams has a track record, I have no clue what happened at county with him and his dad, but County finishing 5th is the greatest achieved by any club in modern era, Dingwall is a large village, isolated.

I cringe at some of the names, Stark or Calderwood. Fact that sunshine boy complains over budget rules him out, we don't have a budget.

U know I look at other managers in SPL. Archiebald who was McNarmara assist, Johnson who cut his teeth at QOS as did McIntrye, in fact look at SPL managers, who has a great track record , Hughes was a disaster, McInnes failed at Bristol, Wright was an assistant, Delia won Norweigan league, in short, you could hardly say any manager is quality.

So we are not getting to get a famous name, at best we get a manager that knows how to manage