Next St Mirren Manager

Whats Stevie Clarke doing these days? He always comes across well when interviewed. It seems he is being touted for the Reading job. While he's still out of work we should at least talk to him. He might just want to come home. A fantastic player who read the game really well even as a young boy.

He is Reading manager.

Ok that's McGlynn free n all. Geez its the Hearts reunion club. JJ is a total dick, if Saints change to maroon he might want gig, but IMO please and also massive No, only Teale fills me with more dread. Hope he actually shows some managerial ability because having a go at Darkheid is suicide and we got away with 4-1. Saturday is a cup final, and as long as we don't lose we are ok

Ok that's McGlynn free n all. Geez its the Hearts reunion club. JJ is a total dick, if Saints change to maroon he might want gig, but IMO please and also massive No, only Teale fills me with more dread. Hope he actually shows some managerial ability because having a go at Darkheid is suicide and we got away with 4-1. Saturday is a cup final, and as long as we don't lose we are ok

Ah we should have played the ever popular 6-4-0 and only lost 2-0 thumbup2.gif

I think in terms of squad strength, while we have some obvious deficiencies the same can be said for other squads in the league. I don't see why, with a decent manager appointed our current squad plus 2 or 3 additions should not be competing with this year's Dundee, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone squads over the second half of the season. Usually 1 or 2 teams who have started the first half of the season pretty well take a nose dive and go on some bad runs after Christmas. I don't think we should be saying the best we can hope for is to finish 10th, although I'd settle for 10th now given where we are at the moment.

I think in Kello, Ridgers, Naismith, Kelly, Tesselaar, Goodwin, McLean, McGinn, Osborne, Teale and Thompson we have a group of players who are good enough to be comfortable in the bottom 6. Our problem so far is Teale has not been utilsed, Thompson has missed most of the season through injury and still is working on his match fitness just now and Goodwin has missed one third of the season through suspension and Kello's form nosedived this season and the young players haven't played as well as they did in previous seasons. I think with the group of players above that if a new manager gets them fit, motivated, playing as a team and they get their confidence up then we can have a decent enough finish to the season.

Plummer also looked useful even though it was open to question whether central defence would be his best position, Drury and Reilly might also be OK squad players when the team are doing well and played in their best positions even if they are not suited to grinding out results when the team is struggling.

On that basis I would rather go with someone with experience and who can unite and motivate and organise a team and grind out results if need be rather than take a punt on someone like Fullarton wanting to step up from running a youth academy.

I wonder if Alex Miller still wears his Rangers sweatshirt to training?

He was manager of the greatest come back against one of the OF I ever attended at Love St.

19th November 1983. St Mirren 4 Celtic 2.

I can still picture Scanlons goal.

We were 2 scud down inside 15 minutes. I was in singing section as usual in Northbank next to the fence watching as we were mocked by the Celtic fans , thinking f**k this could be 7 ....

However , we were 3-2 up at half time with the 4th still to come :)

Great game , we were on a good run at that time part of which we best Jock wallaces Rangers 3-0 , Dundee United 4-0 I think we went to Aberdee and drew 1-1 which was a hard place to get a point :)

Yes I think despite his age Alex Miller would be fine for us just now perhaps coming in for say a year. Excellent managerial experience and not that long ago no2 at Liverpool.It was really his team that won the cup for us in 87. Good organisational skills excellent coach can spot talent and will have built up good contacts and best of all can kick backsides when required.

Yes I think despite his age Alex Miller would be fine for us just now perhaps coming in for say a year. Excellent managerial experience and not that long ago no2 at Liverpool.It was really his team that won the cup for us in 87. Good organisational skills excellent coach can spot talent and will have built up good contacts and best of all can kick backsides when required.

I'd take him before some others mentioned but he wouldn't be my first choice.

There's only one of our previous managers I'd want back to manage us again, and it ain't Alex Miller!

Stevie Clarke scored won of the finest goals at Love St just on the half-time whistle in that mid week 4-0 game against United - however it was disallowed by the ref. I think that game was televised - sadly the Celtic game was not. We used to have some excellent games against United from '77 until we beat them in the '87 SC final.

That decade for me was the best ever in Scottish football due to the emerging talents that were playing for Saints, United and Aberdeen who were competing against the OF dominance.

There were players in all three of those teams that were playing regular in Europe and the International stage with Scotland - at a time when there were loads of Scots playing in England.

It really has been downhill since then thanks to Pay-per-view TV, the Souness-Murray "revolution", and the changes by UEFA and FIFA in ensuring that only the major clubs and nations who attract the greatest commercial revenue get to play on the big stage.

Modern football is PISH.

I had it in my mind it was Tommy Wilson that scored the disallowed goal but on checking I found out he didn't even play in the game!!!

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1983&GameID=2017

The Clarke "goal" was a stoater,must have been 25-30 yards out but the ref claimed he had blown for half time before he hit it.

Your summary of then and now is spot on.

Would that be the same Alex Miller that wore a *** top to his first training session as Saints mgr? he is a coach anyway not a Manager got the boot from the Sheep for that reason ....never never!

Would that be the same Alex Miller that wore a *** top to his first training session as Saints mgr? he is a coach anyway not a Manager got the boot from the Sheep for that reason ....never never!

that's right , the one that coached us to a 3-0 victory over RFC less than a month after they had beaten us 5-0 under. Ricky McFarlane.