Next St Mirren Manager

The fact that the January transfer window is going to be absolutely vital for us, I'd think that Teale will get the Motherwell game at best. However, I honestly believe that Teale doesn't have a hope in hell of getting the job. I know any appointment is a risk, but GT is too big a risk. The BOD would get crucified if they promoted from within again and it went tits up.

Any new manager is going to need the remainder of Dec to assess the squad and then get a mini rebuilding job underway in Jan.

I think the following will be the guidlines to selecting our new boss:

1. Someone with experience of having been there and done that.

2. Someone from outwith the club (new face with fresh ideas)

3. Someone who is not going to cost a fortune in wages.

4. Someone with plenty contacts

5. Someone who isn't going to cost any compo.

Kind of narrows it down to.

Terry Butcher

Jimmy Calderwood

With an outside chance for:

Stuart McCall

Kenny Shiels

Billy Stark

Steve Lomas

None of the above will be the next manager

Right, so list me 5 requirements that our new boss must meet and then see who ticks all the boxes.

Ability to motivate

Ability to communicate

Ability to spot when change is needed

Ability to realise he should not read the forum

Ability to know 'he must go' before his first game (allegedly) :P

Right, so list me 5 requirements that our new boss must meet and then see who ticks all the boxes.

5 requirements? No idea what they are or what they would be. I doubt the directors do either.

I expect our BOD will interview 5 or 6 candidates with a wide range of experience, and then pick what they believe to be the best candidate.

Gary Teale will certainly get interviewed, and Fullarton apparently will be too. The other 3 or 4... Who knows who they'll be or what they will bring to the table.

This BOD has never appointed a manager with top flight experience, I don't think they will this time either.

5 requirements? No idea what they are or what they would be. I doubt the directors do either.

I expect our BOD will interview 5 or 6 candidates with a wide range of experience, and then pick what they believe to be the best candidate.

Gary Teale will certainly get interviewed, and Fullarton apparently will be too. The other 3 or 4... Who knows who they'll be or what they will bring to the table.

This BOD has never appointed a manager with top flight experience, I don't think they will this time either.

I can see what they've gone down that route as well, Hendrie and Lennon were both successful appointments.

I can see why as well, they're cheap! Give us an experienced top flight manager for once!

Either way there is no gaurantee of success. We need to hope the board have learnt their lessons after the burnt fingers and due diligence, as much as can be in the limited time period, is applied and we get the man for the moment.

Gary Teale will certainly get interviewed................

I'm not sure I understand all the ardent support for Teale getting the managers job.

I've nothing against him. I get the point that he's a good player and has played at the top level and he may even have the makings of a great manager. However there are plenty of top flight players who tried their hand at management and failed. At the very least appointing Teale would be a gamble.

Who ever gets the job, it will be an extremely tough one. Squad needs a change of direction as well as a complete overhaul and the team's sitting bottom of the league. A hard task for anyone, let alone someone who's been handed their first job in management.

After deciding that appointing the assistant wasn't the way to go, it seems strange to consider the assistant's assistant? Especially when his contribution to date doesn't seem to have been much help in getting the team going in the right direction.

I'm not convinced Teale is right for the job, and even less convinced that the job is right for Teale.

I'm not sure I understand all the ardent support for Teale getting the managers job.

I've nothing against him. I get the point that he's a good player and has played at the top level and he may even have the makings of a great manager. However there are plenty of top flight players who tried their hand at management and failed. At the very least appointing Teale would be a gamble.

Who ever gets the job, it will be an extremely tough one. Squad needs a change of direction as well as a complete overhaul and the team's sitting bottom of the league. A hard task for anyone, let alone someone who's been handed their first job in management.

After deciding that appointing the assistant wasn't the way to go, it seems strange to consider the assistant's assistant? Especially when his contribution to date doesn't seem to have been much help in getting the team going in the right direction.

I'm not convinced Teale is right for the job, and even less convinced that the job is right for Teale.

You say appointing Teale is a gamble as if the other options aren't. Who decided appointing the assistant wasn't the way to go? TC wasn't sacked because of what he did as assistant.

Every appointment is a gamble, some are more expensive gambles than others. There's plenty of rookie managers succeeding in our league at the minute, maybe Teale will be the next Alex Neil, or maybe he won't. No one knows.

The reigns are his and i expect will be until Dundee game at least. He's in the box seat, 4 points or more in those 2 games and he will become the outright favourite.

1. Ability to identify the weakest areas in our current squad and rectify them (to the best of their ability) at transfer windows.

2. To be tactically aware enough not to have the pish ripped out of them by Alex Neil, Jackie McNamara, Paul Hartley, Tommy Wright.....

3. Not to stand for any shite, and to command respect from the players.

4. Be able to get supporters onside by not being a total fanny in interviews and talking shite after games.

5. Give us a side to be proud of that can aspire to be more than perennial relegation fodder.

I wouldn't give teale the job

the very fact that we lost a goal at parkhead by losing possession in defence after a pass from the keeper rules him out imo

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that you don't try and pass your way out of defence, particularly at parkhead

losing 3 goals in the first 20 mins? Clueless

allowing David longwell to assist him? Clueless

teale and longwell should both go

Maybe that's been a contributing factor to why we haven't once challenged the top 6 in all of our SPL/SPFL campaigns?

Time for a change?

I wouldn't give teale the job

the very fact that we lost a goal at parkhead by losing possession in defence after a pass from the keeper rules him out imo

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that you don't try and pass your way out of defence, particularly at parkhead

losing 3 goals in the first 20 mins? Clueless

allowing David longwell to assist him? Clueless

teale and longwell should both go

post-4944-0-36078800-1418925586_thumb.jp

post-4944-0-48634600-1418925598_thumb.jp

post-4944-0-99331400-1418925607_thumb.jp

post-4944-0-25966100-1418925622_thumb.jp

post-4944-0-38251000-1418925640_thumb.jp

post-4944-0-05120600-1418925647_thumb.jp

Maybe that's been a contributing factor to why we haven't once challenged the top 6 in all of our SPL/SPFL campaigns?

Time for a change?

I beleive this to be the case. New up and coming managers normally need time to get used to theor new role, they male mistakes and need a few years to learn from them before they become really good managers. By that point we normally sack ours! DL may have been peaking this season and we could've had a push for top 6 but instead we changed manager.

An experienced man may have been able to come in and hit the ground running as they've made all their mistakes in the past and don't need time to learn from them

Chico just said on Sportsound that there are 3 front runners. When pushed for names he said Calderwood and Butcher would fit the bill. Also said it may be an experienced manger to the end of the season with Teale being assistant. But it was Chico so who knows.