Next St Mirren Manager

If we could get Butcher or McCall I would be delighted not sure money there for them but if they have made themselves available to st mirren in the last few disastrous manager interviews maybe to pissed off now with st mirren board. Guarantee we would not be losing money but getting more through the gate with a manager who knows what they are doing.

Calderwood was on the radio last night saying I want a job as a football manager.

Calderwood would be excellent as long as SG can sit him down and explain what the budget is. He has a great track record but he also has a habit of spitting the dummy if cutbacks are made. He would certainly keep us up, and probably get us on track for the top 4.

If he could get Jimmy Nicholl in as assistant (while allowing him to still assist at N Ireland when called upon) and Alex Miller is still happy to work without a contract then you have a formidable backroom team that could set about bring some structure to the footballing side of the club.

I know at first that may seem like an expensive pipe dream but I think guys like Calderwood and Nicholl really just want to be involved in football. Would Nicholl really be asking for more than duds like Allan Gow are picking up? Who would bring greater value to the club?

Its time to stop taking the cheap option on the management side. When the time comes to sell Mallan, possibly Naismith as well, then I'd rather have Alex Miller or Jimmy Nicholl sitting down at the negotiating table than Brian Caldwell (no offence to Brian). I'd even be happy for these guys to get a deal like McNamara had at Dundee United with a bonus for selling players on if it means the club finally receiving market value for its talent.

Kenny McLean and John McGinn should have been able to raise 1.5m to 2m for the club going by the transfer fees Hamilton, Dundee Utd and even Falkirk picked up. We have also had talent at the club like Dougie Imrie and Gary Harkins that we could not get the best out of and in many cases had to pay to leave. Underperformance on the park and financial losses brought about by not having experienced management able to deal with "difficult" players.

Then we have the likes of Renfrum, Arquin, Grainger etc who contributed nothing on the park. A good manager would have looked at these guys and probably decided to just stick with our own youngsters than waste more money.

Tommy Craig and Ian Murray can't even handle the press! I'd be surprised if they command much respect from their own squad, potential signings or rival clubs looking to take our players on the cheap.

Time to rebalance the budget, ditch a couple of players and get good management in.

Paul Sturrock would also be an excellent choice.

No, he wouldn't.

He has been failing with even diddier teams than St Mirren.

Foreby... He would not be interested in moving to Paisley. He's very happy in a remote part of Cornwall, Menheniot.

Though... He IS currently unemployed...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/01/paul-sturrock-sacked-manager-yeovil-town

Edited by bluto

Still plucking at straws which I understand. Most names mentioned have failed when cuts backs have been implemented at their former clubs. Picking the right man is not easy. I would go for a lower league rookie with a bit of a track record if such a person exists.

I thought the club went with the right man in the summer. There was always a risk it wasn't going to work out. Who knows he might still turn it around but he doesn't have long.

I think the players have to take some responsibility for the position we are in too, how many have shown they are way too good for this level? Goodwin? Mallan at a push ?

It's hard to have a go because guys like

Baird,McMullan,Shankland,Morgan and Gallagher are still learning the game . It's like we have went back in time to the mid 90's relying on boys to dig us out a hole.

Going ahead in matches and sitting in deep has happened too many times. Is this a tactic or are the players not following instructions? It's happened way too many times for it to be a coincidence.

Sturrock is in my opinion, in the same mould as the likes of Bobby Williamson, Craig Levein, Jeffries, Calderwood...journey men who are eventually found out with not a lot left in the tank to offer the game.

There has to be someone fresh out there with a balance of experience, McCall or an upcoming Burchill? Someone who is not again propelled through the ranks to their own detriment, eg Craig then Teale and Goodwin. BOD: don't consider Thompson or Goodwin at any level of our coaching team.

Calderwood would be excellent as long as SG can sit him down and explain what the budget is. He has a great track record but he also has a habit of spitting the dummy if cutbacks are made. He would certainly keep us up, and probably get us on track for the top 4.

If he could get Jimmy Nicholl in as assistant (while allowing him to still assist at N Ireland when called upon) and Alex Miller is still happy to work without a contract then you have a formidable backroom team that could set about bring some structure to the footballing side of the club.

I know at first that may seem like an expensive pipe dream but I think guys like Calderwood and Nicholl really just want to be involved in football. Would Nicholl really be asking for more than duds like Allan Gow are picking up? Who would bring greater value to the club?

Its time to stop taking the cheap option on the management side. When the time comes to sell Mallan, possibly Naismith as well, then I'd rather have Alex Miller or Jimmy Nicholl sitting down at the negotiating table than Brian Caldwell (no offence to Brian). I'd even be happy for these guys to get a deal like McNamara had at Dundee United with a bonus for selling players on if it means the club finally receiving market value for its talent.

Kenny McLean and John McGinn should have been able to raise 1.5m to 2m for the club going by the transfer fees Hamilton, Dundee Utd and even Falkirk picked up. We have also had talent at the club like Dougie Imrie and Gary Harkins that we could not get the best out of and in many cases had to pay to leave. Underperformance on the park and financial losses brought about by not having experienced management able to deal with "difficult" players.

Then we have the likes of Renfrum, Arquin, Grainger etc who contributed nothing on the park. A good manager would have looked at these guys and probably decided to just stick with our own youngsters than waste more money.

Tommy Craig and Ian Murray can't even handle the press! I'd be surprised if they command much respect from their own squad, potential signings or rival clubs looking to take our players on the cheap.

Time to rebalance the budget, ditch a couple of players and get good management in.

calderwood would be dreadful

I'm amazed that so many people believe we have the money to pay off Spalding and Murray and then add yet another wage to the club.

If he goes an internal promotion is our only realistic option financially.

Calderwood, McCall, Butcher... etc etc. No chance.