Next St Mirren Manager

Talk of clauses in contracts got me thinking. Why do clubs allow themselves to be put in a situation where they have to pay up in full contracts of underperforming managers? In Scotland there are only something like 20 full time clubs but a lot more wannabe managers are chasing those posts. Would it not be more sensible to agree termination/release fees before employing a manager? I know some will jump on this and say that no manager would agree to such a clause but I don't know why directors don't call the bluff of prospective managers, and if they don't like it move on to the next applicant as there is never a shortage of people wanting to be football managers despite poor working conditions (see Leeds United for evidence).

Edited by scottd

Talk of clauses in contracts got me thinking. Why do clubs allow themselves to be put in a situation where they have to pay up in full contracts of underperforming managers? In Scotland there are only something like 20 full time clubs but a lot more wannabe managers are chasing those posts. Would it not be more sensible to agree termination/release fees before employing a manager? I know some will jump on this and say that no manager would agree to such a clause but I don't know why directors don't call the bluff of prospective managers, and if they don't like it move on to the next applicant as there is never a shortage of people wanting to be football managers despite poor working conditions (see Leeds United for evidence).

It works both ways.

We would all be unhappy if we were doing well under a manager and he then upped and left for nothing. A contract ensures that we would receive compensation.

The flip side of that is if things are going badly we need to pay them off.

It works both ways.

We would all be unhappy if wep were doing well under a manager and he then upped and left for nothing. A contract ensures that we would receive compensation.

The flip side of that is if things are going badly we need to pay them off.

It rarely works out well for clubs I reckon. For every manager who gets headhunted there are probably about ten who get bagged wanting their contracts paid up.

Also far better if termination/release fees are determined beforehand. That way everyone knows where they stand and avoids our current situation which is approaching intolerable.

Edited by scottd

It rarely works out well for clubs I reckon. For every manager who gets headhunted there are probably about ten who get bagged wanting their contracts paid up.

Also far better if termination/release fees are determined beforehand. That way everyone knows where they stand and avoids our current situation which is approaching intolerable.

I think our manager is well "HeadHaunted"

No I haven't but he said during the week there was no clause.

He also said he knows more about football than the fans which also appears to be a load of crap.

If he did have a clause - for example, if we weren't in the top four by December 31st we could pay him off for 75% of his salary and 50% at the end of the season - I doubt he'd come out and confirm his private business.

And going by his comments since he got the job, Murray seems arrogant enough to think top four should be easy enough to achieve, so why wouldn't he agree to stipulations like this if it allows him a crack at full time football.

Edited by steve_the_saint

There is ALWAYS a way to remove an under performing manager from his post.

We were financially at deaths door when the board removed Tom Hendrie from a FIVE YEAR contract.

It can be done and I believe it will be done if and when it gets to the point where the board seriously consider relegation to be a realistic threat.

The games coming up in the next few weeks will cement that notion either way.

We were financially at deaths door when the board removed Tom Hendrie from a FIVE YEAR contract.

It can be done and I believe it will be done if and when it gets to the point where the board seriously consider relegation to be a realistic threat.

Indeed. .

I believe that it won't cost the Club an arm and a leg to get rid the way it has perhaps cost the Club with previous individuals. .

Saturday could be the day when the bottom 4 all face each other. Livi are playing Alloa and we play Dumbarton. A victory for Livi and a defeat for us would see us second bottom two weeks before Xmas. In August Murray himself said he would expect the bullet if we were second bottom at Xmas.

I agree, by the rules of supply and demand clubs should really be getting a better deal on manager's contracts.

The compensation clubs get for managers is pitiful anyway. How much do you think St Johnstone will get for their current gaffer, 100 grand? Its peanuts.

I reckon you could get 20 decent candidates in and offer them a deal with a maximum 3 month pay off and most would take it up. St Mirren is a stepping stone to a bigger club for decent managers, end of the line for shite ones if they don't get out before their reputation is shot to shit. At least if you go "too soon" you can recover. If you malinger like Murray and get a reputation as an arrogant gobshite then your 2 year pay off aint going to help much in the grand scheme of things.

Saturday could be the day when the bottom 4 all face each other. Livi are playing Alloa and we play Dumbarton. A victory for Livi and a defeat for us would see us second bottom two weeks before Xmas. In August Murray himself said he would expect the bullet if we were second bottom at Xmas.

f**king hell, I remember when we were moaning about not competing for a Europa League spot.

I hope you're right.

I'd say at this point (and it's been this way for months now) that relegation is a serious threat and to be honest we're where we deserve to be.

The board have fecked up again with Murray's appointment and can at least gain some respect back from the support by removing him from his post and bringing in a new manager before the transfer window opens.

Murray's ineptness as a manager and the boards lack of concern will probably mean that there will be no changes made.

I fear the worst.

To be honest Murray himself set the departure by this Christmas tone when he started out in the Saints job . So , really if its continued pish for the next couple of games, it'll be imo a mutual parting of the ways before Santas sleigh has finished its rounds.

I fear we'll find a way of not doing so well that we pull clear of the relegation zone and not do so badly that Murray should automatically get sacked... we'll maybe get our first home win and then lose a few and draw.

I think Dumbarton will win on Saturday and he'll be oot the door on Monday.

The fact were below Dumbarton a part time team alarm bells should be ringing 2 wins out of 15 board have to act if we go.down again it would be a long way back all we ask is fans is a team to be proud off and one that gives us everything and,more he cant motivate them or get best out of them without being negative his signings are poor nowhere near good enough and his tactics are non existent time to.go to murray surely if dumbarton went and beat us and went 5 clear surely board have to act in best interests of club as,we cant go.down again

Cost of paying off 18 months of a managers contract v the financial threat of relegation, I believe the board will act in the clubs best interests if they see that there is a serious threat of going down.

As much as we look in a dark place at the moment, there is still a lot of football to be played to give us an indication what division we will play in next season.

Edited by kevo_smfc

To be honest Murray himself set the departure by this Christmas tone when he started out in the Saints job . So , really if its continued pish for the next couple of games, it'll be imo a mutual parting of the ways before Santas sleigh has finished its rounds.

That was a worrying sign looking back,he mentioned this point a few times

The fact he took the job then went on holiday,then went on a course,took a while appointing his assistant(his mate),took a while getting players in about 1 a week.It's no surprise how this season has panned out

A lazy attitude off the park has reflected a lazy one on the park

Cost of paying off 18 months of a managers contract v the financial threat of relegation, I believe the board will act in the clubs best interests if they see that there is a serious threat of going down.

As much as we look in a dark place at the moment, there is still a lot of football to be played to give us an indication what division we will play in next season.

Add to this the cost of falling attendances if this is allowed to continue,