Next St Mirren Manager

Again... Ian McCall?

Sacked by (and really disliked) at Partick Thistle and QOTS Ian McCall? Why?

He's doing okay with Ayr in the third tier... As he should be Ayr are a relatively big club at that level. But what makes people think he will do any better with us than he did with QOTS and Thistle - who were his last two teams at this level?

Again... Ian McCall?

He's doing okay with Ayr in the third tier... As he should be Ayr are a relatively big club at that level. But what makes people think he will do any better with us than he did with QOTS and Thistle - who were his last two teams at this level?

Ian Mccall is one of a handful of potentially decent appointments - albeit all are risky. I agree Ayr Utd is a big club in the 3rd tier but we are a big club in the 2nd tier. I think he was a big head when younger but he seems more mature now. He comes across as really enthusiastic and he has loads of experience. Has to be an external appointment for me though.

Gus McPherson for me.

I think the players should be taking some responsibility for what's happened so far this season. I think the players lack discipline. We know GM doesn't suffer fools, I'd like to think he would get rid of the deadwood and kick some backsides to get some players in shape.

The only problem being I'd be surprised if McPherson would work with Stewart Gilmour again.

Again... Ian McCall?

McCall wasn't sacked by Queens. He kept them up from a difficult position after they booted Ian Scott the year we won the first division under Gus. He repeated the feat the following season, although obviously it was also him that had created the difficult position! Then he buggered off for Thistle and that, along with his departure from Falkirk, made me rather amused at the possibility of him being loyal to Ayr.

Not someone I'd be considering for the job.

Cause the last external appointment worked so well...

Aye, and the last two internal appointments were fantastic! Internal or external, experienced or rookie, I'm sure everyone on here can find an example that proves why their criteria for the new manager is right and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

This is probably the most important appointment since Coughlin got booted. Then, as now, there was a real danger of us dropping into the second division/League One which would be ten times more catastrophic than being relegated from the top flight. There is absolutely no margin for error on this one.

What is Billy Davies' situation? He's been without a club for a wee while now. I know he's a relatively proven English Championship manager, beyond our budget, but would he consider a stint with us until the end of the season(to keep his hand in)? He's been spotted a few times at SMP this season.

What is Billy Davies' situation? He's been without a club for a wee while now. I know he's a relatively proven English Championship manager, beyond our budget, but would he consider a stint with us until the end of the season(to keep his hand in)? He's been spotted a few times at SMP this season.

Would jump at chance for Billy Davies or Steve Clarke to take the job until May and save us from League One.

No St Mirren Manager has won more games than he has lost for more than 30 years. The last manager to achieve this was Rikki McFarlane (11/1980 to 10/1983). He had 55 wins and 41 losses.

He replicated the achievements of his 3 Predecessors (Wilson Humphries 26-24, Alex Ferguson 74-54 & Jim Clunie 54-41).

Only Gus McPherson has come close in recent years with 102 wins against 105 losses.

If Gus can be convinced to come back then surely he is the man that we desperately need to drag us away from the bottom of the division. Has done a great job at Hampden and has all the attributes that we need long term.

Billy Davies to the end of the Season then Gus for the new campaign.

Edited by Berkshire_Buddie

Gus McPherson for me.

I think the players should be taking some responsibility for what's happened so far this season. I think the players lack discipline. We know GM doesn't suffer fools, I'd like to think he would get rid of the deadwood and kick some backsides to get some players in shape.

The only problem being I'd be surprised if McPherson would work with Stewart Gilmour again.

Even I would say no.

This will never happen.

What makes you think Gilmour would work with MacPherson again?

Unless Gus has learnt his lesson about full time club budgets then there is no way back for him.

McCall wasn't sacked by Queens. He kept them up from a difficult position after they booted Ian Scott the year we won the first division under Gus. He repeated the feat the following season, although obviously it was also him that had created the difficult position! Then he buggered off for Thistle and that, along with his departure from Falkirk, made me rather amused at the possibility of him being loyal to Ayr.

Not someone I'd be considering for the job.

Aye, and the last two internal appointments were fantastic! Internal or external, experienced or rookie, I'm sure everyone on here can find an example that proves why their criteria for the new manager is right and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

This is probably the most important appointment since Coughlin got booted. Then, as now, there was a real danger of us dropping into the second division/League One which would be ten times more catastrophic than being relegated from the top flight. There is absolutely no margin for error on this one.

Well his wiki page says he was sacked by QOTS. I would be happy to see another article which shows this to be wrong. Regardless, he's a horrific shout. Almost as bad as McDowell. At least we wouldn't have to pay compensation for McDowell, imagine us paying compensation for a proven dud like McCall, I'm sure the Ayr board would laugh their way to the bank.

Regarding an external or internal appointment, that's exactly the point. This forum in May was screaming almost top to bottom for an external appointment. The board listened and we got one, now look at us.

The next appointment should be based on what's best for the club. If that's an internal promotion, fine. If not, fine too. No one should be ruled out based on their current position within the club.

There's no appointment which is guaranteed to succeed. We need to try make the appointment which is the lowest risk possible.

Edited by TopCat

McPherson would be perfect. If he was appointed I would be very confident of us staying up.

He would likely get us back as an established top flight club within 5 years too. Just like he did last time.

Sadly, it won't happen due to his relationship with the BOD.

Edited by TopCat

Ian McCall is doing well at Ayr.

He has previously had Airdrie and Falkirk in positions challenging for promotion in our division.

He's kept QoS up.

He didn't do so well at Dundee Utd and Partick.. But wasn't a disaster.

A chequered career.

But I wouldn't be too unhappy with his appointment.

Are you on the meths again?moon.gif

There is not a hope of Billy Davies taking the job. His name was thrown around a lot last season and it never happened. He wasn't interviewed during the summer - presumably because he didn't want the job. Presumably he wouldn't want it now when things are even worse.

Steve Clark is an equally unlikely suggestion. Neither name would be considered on here if they weren't former players. Clark was offered the Fulham job the other week so he's hardly going to swap the English Championship for the Scottish one.

Well his wiki page says he was sacked by QOTS. I would be happy to see another article which shows this to be wrong. Regardless, he's a horrific shout. Almost as bad as McDowell. At least we wouldn't have to pay compensation for McDowell, imagine us paying compensation for a proven dud like McCall, I'm sure the Ayr board would laugh their way to the bank.

Regarding an external or internal appointment, that's exactly the point. This forum in May was screaming almost top to bottom for an external appointment. The board listened and we got one, now look at us.

The next appointment should be based on what's best for the club. If that's an internal promotion, fine. If not, fine too. No one should be ruled out based on their current position within the club.

There's no appointment which is guaranteed to succeed. We need to try make the appointment which is the lowest risk possible.

This is an archive of the official Queens site: http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/07apr.htm No mention of Thistle but not sacked either. I seem to recall from the Queens fans I was working with at the time it was a fairly open secret where he was headed. Whatever, it's a moot point as neither of us want him!

For me we needed someone from outwith the club when we appointed Murray. A fresh start, someone to clean the place out and start anew. Unfortunately it didn't work. The internal appointments didn't work last time but even if they had and we were currently on the hunt for a new manager I wouldn't have Miller anywhere near it.

A question for the folk wanting the return of Gus. If his achievements were exactly the same but he had no connection with us and had instead spent 2003-2010 getting a club like Falkirk promoted, established in the SPL and to a League Cup final - would you still be so keen for him to come back?

Odds from McBookie. For God's sake don't go for Barry Ferguson - who was allegedly approached when Lennon left...

CWDKk4MWEAQrk-i.jpg

Edited by Stu

Again... Ian McCall?

Any of the old lags liable to apply for the job will have a few failures on their CV. McCall wasn't the favourite for the Ayr job but he went to the interview with a dossier on all the other teams in the division, their strengths and weaknesses, players that he had identified who would be within Ayr's budget and would strengthen the squad - Ayr were second bottom when he took over last season and he helped them avoid relegation (Teale's target) and has them in line for a play-off spot this season (Murray's target). He clearly spent his time away from management keeping in touch with the game at our level, if we can afford the compo for him he's got to be a front runner for the job.

Might not work out but he'd be a reasonable option...........

Edit - When you see some of the names on Stu's list he'd be a great option!

Edited by Bud the Baker