Next St Mirren Manager

Billy Davies doesn't have much reputation left in England, does he? Not at Championship level anyway. Dickov hasn't done anything of note to tarnish his reputation up here anyway. I wondered what Ian Ferguson was up to but he has a cracking job developing youth players in Australia, would have to be a complete idiot to want to move back here and take on a very tough job.

Ian McCall has done well at Ayr, hes maybe worth looking at. I think Jimmy Calderwood would at least bring some attacking play and entertaining football, he's also saved a couple of teams from relegation. He'll know by now most teams in Scotland have changed their ways regarding £££, I think he'd jump at the chance of managing us.

Billy Reid could be another contender, wouldn't be the nicest football but I think it would be effective.

Whoever it is has to get the fans and players onside from the start. Ian Murray didn't attempt to build any sort of relationship.

A "cracking" job? Are you serious? Director of Coaching and Head Coach at a semi professional football club! A club with a support of as few as 600 at some home matches, and a record highest attendance of 2,500 paying £4.72 approx admission per home match! Haud me back. What a cracking job. :rolleyes:

A "cracking" job? Are you serious? Director of Coaching and Head Coach at a semi professional football club! A club with a support of as few as 600 at some home matches, and a record highest attendance of 2,500 paying £4.72 approx admission per home match! Haud me back. What a cracking job. :rolleyes:

Haud me back, I want a Season Ticket.

I've totally lost faith in the current boardrooms incumbents to deliver a successful managerial appointment. I am not going to speculate but I really dont fancy Miller, his demeanour yesterday reaffirmed that for me. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Santa delivered new blood at boardroom level for Christmas who might inject fresh impetus and ideas but unfortunately thats the stuff of panto season. We simply cannot afford another mistake or the seaside leagues are beckoning.

Any of the old lags liable to apply for the job will have a few failures on their CV. McCall wasn't the favourite for the Ayr job but he went to the interview with a dossier on all the other teams in the division, their strengths and weaknesses, players that he had identified who would be within Ayr's budget and would strengthen the squad - Ayr were second bottom when he took over last season and he helped them avoid relegation (Teale's target) and has them in line for a play-off spot this season (Murray's target). He clearly spent his time away from management keeping in touch with the game at our level, if we can afford the compo for him he's got to be a front runner for the job.

Might not work out but he'd be a reasonable option...........

Edit - When you see some of the names on Stu's list he'd be a great option!

McCall would be my choice. Was listening to Radio Scotland last night the panel spoke at length about Ian McCall saying McCall is loving it at Ayr and would like to stay there for years. They are a club on the up if successful can compete with our attendance's .

We are a club in free fall would McCall leave Ayr for us. On a positive note we have first class facilities,

McCall would be my choice. Was listening to Radio Scotland last night the panel spoke at length about Ian McCall saying McCall is loving it at Ayr and would like to stay there for years. They are a club on the up if successful can compete with our attendance's .

We are a club in free fall would McCall leave Ayr for us. On a positive note we have first class facilities,

I've lived in Ayr for a while and keep an eye out for their results and attend 1/2 matches per season but even in the Bill Barr years when they were pushing for promotion and doing well in the cups their average attendances were in the region of 2-2,500, they've been out of the top flight since we pipped them to eighth place in 77/78 (nearly 40 years) and are part time - a relegation struggle in the Championship is the top end of their cycle.

At the moment I'd say he's the best of the old lags but we'd have to pay compo to get him.

Edit - and as a Brucie Bonus it would really get up the noses of a coupla my Ayr supporting mates!

Edited by Bud the Baker

A "cracking" job? Are you serious? Director of Coaching and Head Coach at a semi professional football club! A club with a support of as few as 600 at some home matches, and a record highest attendance of 2,500 paying £4.72 approx admission per home match! Haud me back. What a cracking job. rolleyes.gif

He was on sportsound either last week or the week before saying how much he loves it over there, didn't seem in a rush to leave it. Who knows maybe the weather in Scotland just now will sway him tongue.png.

Would any sane person swap Australia for the Saints job? The fans still hold a grudge against him, if he gets off to a bad start the fans would be on his case within a couple of months and we'd be back at square one.

Edited by Sergie's no1 fan

Whoever comes in is on a hiding to nothing with the squad we have. I have seen absolutely nothing from most of them to suggest they are any better than the dross they have served up all season. Admittedly Murray's tactics and selections were mental however the players are pretty hopeless. I have condemned the abuse dished out to Murray but am amazed at those that applauded the team off. A 1-0 defeat to a part-time team from a team that is full-time, was in the SPFL only 6 months ago and now sits 3rd bottom of a lower division and contains various internationalists? You have got to be joking.

Whoever comes in is on a hiding to nothing with the squad we have. I have seen absolutely nothing from most of them to suggest they are any better than the dross they have served up all season. Admittedly Murray's tactics and selections were mental however the players are pretty hopeless. I have condemned the abuse dished out to Murray but am amazed at those that applauded the team off. A 1-0 defeat to a part-time team from a team that is full-time, was in the SPFL only 6 months ago and now sits 3rd bottom of a lower division and contains various internationalists? You have got to be joking.

I think that we have a good squad who for whatever reason have downed tools. I think that there is something wrong seriously wrong behind the scenes which is affecting the players attitude.

Edited by Kendo

Willie McStay? Ex Ross County and Celtic Youth Manager. Was apparently in line to get the job when Gus MacPherson got sacked.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/178814/Buddies-board-want-McStay

Done a terrible job with Ross County in this league.

Have a feeling it'll be someone like Reid, Calderwood, Butcher, or McCall (Stuart, not Ian). The last one is probably a bit of wishful thinking, but might be dying to get back into a job, even till the end of the season.

Would prefer us to bring in Jimmy Calderwood. Kept Kilmarnock and Ross County in their respective leagues when it looked like they were both heading for relegation. Has good contacts in the UK and Holland (Something which will be key as the January Window is opening soon, could use his contacts to get us a few loan players) Done really well at Dunfermline Athletic and Aberdeen.

I'd love Billy Reid.

He'd get us playing the right way and get us up the league.

He would also enrage so many clowns on this forum.

He's also quite handy at binning players, which might come in useful over the next few weeks! I think he still has a job in Sweden, dunno if he'd swap that to come here.

The only manager who has recently lost his job in the English leagues I can see coming here is Paul Sturrock - and I think he's had enough with football after being a Yeovil, who are on an even worse slide than us. Surprised Billy Stark's name hasn't been mentioned yet although won't be long until Chick Young throws his name into the mix.

He's also quite handy at binning players, which might come in useful over the next few weeks! I think he still has a job in Sweden, dunno if he'd swap that to come here.

The only manager who has recently lost his job in the English leagues I can see coming here is Paul Sturrock - and I think he's had enough with football after being a Yeovil, who are on an even worse slide than us. Surprised Billy Stark's name hasn't been mentioned yet although won't be long until Chick Young throws his name into the mix.

Think Stark is assistant at Albion Rovers.

Really not sure who I want this time around. Absolutely no idea.

Think Stark is assistant at Albion Rovers.

Really not sure who I want this time around. Absolutely no idea.

Ah right. Not that I'm suggesting we go for him BTW! Just surprised as I don't think he was on the list from McBookie.

Not sure who I'd like to see either. I'd prefer if it wasn't Miller, partly because he was part of the problem and also because I don't think I'd really have considered him if he was still out of work rather than part of the current set-up.