Next St Mirren Manager

Completely agree with this. Look at the table. We have the same points as Dumbarton and Livingston ffs. Livi are above us on goal difference. Defeat at home to Morton would put us 12 points adrift of them! I am not calling for Murrays head, but there must be improvement in both results and in the manner of play now.

Defeat to Morton would actually leave us 15 points behind them... in November!

I wouldn't normally tune in to it but this afternoon I caught the tail end of the Peter and Roughie show on STV Glasgow. Alan Rough was talking about the Championship and it was put to him, Frank McAvennie and Gordon Smith that it was time to write off St Mirren for promotion. At that point Roughie said the strangest of things. He claimed that Murray had told him that when he took the job on he didn't realise how many kids he was going to have to take on; that he found it frustrating to have to tell those kids the same thing week in week out and for those kids to go back on the pitch and make the same mistakes again.

Now it might have been a load of shite by Roughie but what manager worth his salt takes a job on without at least having a quick shifty at the squad list and working out whether the job is doable or not.

I wouldn't normally tune in to it but this afternoon I caught the tail end of the Peter and Roughie show on STV Glasgow. Alan Rough was talking about the Championship and it was put to him, Frank McAvennie and Gordon Smith that it was time to write off St Mirren for promotion. At that point Roughie said the strangest of things. He claimed that Murray had told him that when he took the job on he didn't realise how many kids he was going to have to take on; that he found it frustrating to have to tell those kids the same thing week in week out and for those kids to go back on the pitch and make the same mistakes again.

Now it might have been a load of shite by Roughie but what manager worth his salt takes a job on without at least having a quick shifty at the squad list and working out whether the job is doable or not.

Kids like the following Murray signings: Gow (81 minutes in the league so far), Thompson (1 league goal after 13 games), Agnew, Langfield, Watson, Reid, Carswell? Then there are the kids Murray went out and signed from other youth academies... Gallacher. McMullen, Howieson, Conlan, McGrath, Shankland... He must really regret saying our youngsters were looking so good in pre-season training that he might not need to make as many signings as he thought when he took over.

Is this the same manager who asked for our game against Raith Rovers to be postponed because we had so many youngsters away on international duty?

I do find it amusing that Murray is frustrated watching the same mistakes being made week after week as this scenario is mirrored by St Mirren fans watching Murray's own same mistakes week after week.

Whatever else is said it cannot be denied that Murray had plenty of scope to change the squad during the close season and shape the squad to compete in the first division.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

In the ghetto?

If we were as high as the ghetto I'd be delighted.

The bottom line is if we don't win on Friday then Murray must be fired. His position is already all but untenable surely another defeat will make the board admit they got it wrong and allow the club to rebuild from the ashes that currently surround us.

Preaching to the converted Stuart. Murray has been a disaster from the get go. Takes the job and then disappears to the Czech Republic to do his badges (we don't need no stinking badges) while we have a squad of about six players plus those poor kids. His player recruitment has been nothing short of disasterous, his tactics utterly baffling and now we find ourselves 12 points behind Morton in the middle of November. I look at the league table and I cannot believe what I'm seeing, a manager with any serious handle on his job would have this squad, bad though it is, with probably double the points this clown has gained. Nothing will stop me supporting the club but this a shite state of affairs and no amount of stadium name changing is going to change it!

Edited by scottd

i wont believe a word of this until i either here it with my own ears or someone else who is trustworthy confirms it.

St Mirren must always be looking to bring young players into the team and particularly now when we have less revenue in the Championship. Any sane recruitment team would make that an absolute priority in the job spec. Why would you even consider appointing a manager without doing the background? It's the most important appointment you'll ever make. From the outside looking in the current board has never had a systematic approach to identifying the best available candidate as a manager.

I understand the point that the club has a certain degree of inertia surrounding it, but frankly we wouldn't be having a quarter of these conversations if we'd appointed a decent manager. The quality of applications for the manager's may or may not have been poor as rumoured but Ray McKinnon and Derek Adams appear to be doing pretty well.

In midfield besides Goody, we have Carswell, Howieson, Agnew, Mallan and McMullan. Murray signed them all except Mallan. Mallan is the youngest of the five but by far the best of the five. Carswell, Howieson and McMullan are still only around 21. If Murray has a problem with young players why did he sign so many? How come Mallan, the youngest, can provide a performance, and the other young players he signed cannot? Maybe it's more down to Murray being unable to spot a player and coach them?

Preaching to the converted Stuart. Murray has been a disaster from the get go. Takes the job and then disappears to the Czech Republic to do his badges (we don't need no stinking badges) while we have a squad of about six players plus those poor kids. His player recruitment has been nothing short of disasterous, his tactics utterly baffling and now we find ourselves 12 points behind Morton in the middle of November. I look at the league table and I cannot believe what I'm seeing, a manager with any serious handle on his job would have this squad, bad though it is, with probably double the points this clown has gained. Nothing will stop me supporting the club but this a shite state of affairs and no amount of stadium name changing is going to change it!

Gilmour told me, and a probably a good few others, that the reason the likes of Calderwood never got past the first sift in the selection process, was because calderwood and his ilk would shut down the youth programme and divert all funds to the first team squad. IF Murray said what has been posted here then I'm afraid somebody is telling porkies. either the lay of the land was not laid out as Gilmour suggests or Murray is weaving a web to try and cover his ass.

This all smacks of a man who knows the game is already up and he is trying to put the word out in the footie network that it wasn't his fault. Longer term, he would be better off owning up to his mistakes and planning for recovery/rehabillitation-either St Mirren's or simply his own

This doesn't ring true when you look at the acquisitions Murray was allowed to make. He's brought in Langfield, Webster, Carswell, Howieson, Agnew, Gallacher, and, latterly, Watson. His choice was to leave one of our most experienced players on the sidelines. In addition he's been allowed to bring in McMullen and Shankland. (Though the latter seems almost pointless). Hardly a bunch of inexperienced teenagers.

Some might argue that he has had more than most.

Not sure if you're a crackpot or a troll.

Perhaps both...

ok Tim Sherwood is far fetched, but what is wrong with Peter Houston - and don't give me the we have no money to sign him argument - that is both untrue and short sighted.

Isn't Falkirk doing a lot better than us - and with a certain reject ex sainty scoring a lot more goals than any of our guys. Just shows how far we have fallen.

I think 99% Saints fans would take Houston over Murray even if it cost 80,000

Interesting parallel with the situation at QPR over the last few weeks.

They had a young manager in Chris Ramsey who was struggling. Neil Warnock was brought in to 'assist first team affairs'.

Ramsey was then trotted out to say I really wanted Warnock to come and it was my choice.

In the intervening weeks reports come out that Warnock is running the show picking the team doing the team talks etc.

However results don't improve and Ramsey is sacked... And who's made the new manager?

Neil Warnock...

Erm can I hear an echo?? http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/40620-miller-the-organ-grinder-murray-the-monkey/?view=findpost&p=1319706